White G paint maintenance - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ber Tony GT

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 02-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Greece-

Member car:

Giulietta

Help White G paint maintenance

hello all,

Does anyone know how to remove this rough surface from the paint and also how to remove foreign objects from paint? There are red stains on the door of my G and very small red dots all over the car (I don't know if its paint or something else) that cannot be removed with car wash. I don't know what other damage may be occurred on the paint if I use a chemical.

I want to restore the paint in order to look like new again but I don't want to go to pros and pay much money. My G is white.

Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
try something like wd40 on one of the stains, it' likely a tar of some sort. otherwise, you need paint thinner
(Post Link) post #3 of 10 Old 02-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta

won't WD40 make the paint more vulnerable?
AO Member

County: West Midlands
Garage
You need to use a clay bar, will remove the contaminants from the paintwork without causing damage as long as its used properly - had my brother in law doing this the other night for the first time on his Honda FRV, its not difficult, but there is a way of using the clay bar kit. There will be many tutorials online. After using this, use something like Autoglym Super Resin Polish and you will end up with a show room shine for about 4hrs work max. Top off with a sealant and it will keep it looking like that for up to 6 months with just washing easily.

Giulietta 170 MA TCT Business Edition/Spider 3.2 V6 Q4
(Post Link) post #5 of 10 Old 04-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Venables View Post
You need to use a clay bar, will remove the contaminants from the paintwork without causing damage as long as its used properly - had my brother in law doing this the other night for the first time on his Honda FRV, its not difficult, but there is a way of using the clay bar kit. There will be many tutorials online. After using this, use something like Autoglym Super Resin Polish and you will end up with a show room shine for about 4hrs work max. Top off with a sealant and it will keep it looking like that for up to 6 months with just washing easily.
What about waxing (like Meguiars White wax)? And what exactly is this Autoglym Super Resin Polish?
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpscorpion View Post
What about waxing (like Meguiars White wax)? And what exactly is this Autoglym Super Resin Polish?
Sealant is instead of wax normally or both can be applied over time. Wax will give a nicer more glowing look from experience, but sealant will last longer. Autoglym SRP is a very light polish with filler to mask very slight scuffs and marks and after the clay bar will give you the shine, it can also be referred to as a cleanser. The wax or sealant is the protective top coat.

Take a look here:DODO JUICE FORUMS ? View topic - I want a wet/glossy Look!!!
These are all the steps for a full clean/detail, how many you do of these will depend on how good the finish you want/how much time you have to spend/how much you want to spend on product.

There are many brands of products for cleaning cars on the market, I have tried many, my garage is packed with them. If your a beginner stick with the Autoglym range, its the easiest normally to get on with in varying conditions and on their website, its packed with helpful tips and videos to use their products. As far as wax, use a soft wax from Dodo Juice, the 30ml tubs are tiny, but will do a car easily 3 times over, are cheap and very easy to use, again for the beginner, if this is your first time at trying to get a showroom shine. The steps in my last post, if done properly will give great results for a relatively easy amount of work. Leave yourself a full day for the first few times you do it though.
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire
Yes, clay bar should do it

In my experience, white cars always tend to show any dots/ spots on the paint much more than other colours but a clay bar should clear them , its worked magic on my paintwork, just take your time with it
duemila likes this.
(Post Link) post #8 of 10 Old 07-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Venables View Post
Sealant is instead of wax normally or both can be applied over time. Wax will give a nicer more glowing look from experience, but sealant will last longer. Autoglym SRP is a very light polish with filler to mask very slight scuffs and marks and after the clay bar will give you the shine, it can also be referred to as a cleanser. The wax or sealant is the protective top coat.

Take a look here:DODO JUICE FORUMS ? View topic - I want a wet/glossy Look!!!
These are all the steps for a full clean/detail, how many you do of these will depend on how good the finish you want/how much time you have to spend/how much you want to spend on product.

There are many brands of products for cleaning cars on the market, I have tried many, my garage is packed with them. If your a beginner stick with the Autoglym range, its the easiest normally to get on with in varying conditions and on their website, its packed with helpful tips and videos to use their products. As far as wax, use a soft wax from Dodo Juice, the 30ml tubs are tiny, but will do a car easily 3 times over, are cheap and very easy to use, again for the beginner, if this is your first time at trying to get a showroom shine. The steps in my last post, if done properly will give great results for a relatively easy amount of work. Leave yourself a full day for the first few times you do it though.
So if i am not mistaken, those are the steps:

1) wash
2) dry
3) Remove Tar and Iron
4) Rinse
5) Dry
5) Clay
6) Rinse
7) Dry
8) Polish
9) Buff
10) Sealant/Wax
11) Buff

If its possible. Can you give me an example of products for the steps above? Thank you
AO Member

Garage
1) wash - Autoglym shampoo with a soft wash mitt with bucket complete with grit guard in the bottom.
2) Dry - I would remove this stage - your going to get it wet again with the iron remover.
3) Remove Tar and Iron - unless the car is really tarred up, you can remove tar with clay bar. For the fact your saying the spots are red, the iron remover is probably worth a go. Angelwax Revelation is a good one as its PH neutral and ive done 3 cars with this with no bad side effects, just make sure it doesn't dry on the bodywork, spray on, agitate with a sponge and wash off.
4) Rinse - does need to be washed with shampoo, its easier to see what your doing with the clay bar with proper clean paintwork
5) Dry
5) Clay - main thing here is to use plenty of lube with the clay here, too dry and you cause scratches (or as its called marring). I use Dodo Juice Born Slippy Lube, 500ml should easily do the car. I used a clay bar from Auto Finesse, a big 200g fine bar, plenty! Use the fine bar, not the coarse, your less likely to do damage. Break the clay bar into about 6 pieces, if you drop abit on the floor, throw it away and don't use it! Make sure you fold the piece of clay your using regularly, this keeps it clean and the contaminants away from your paintwork. If the clay gets very mucky, throw it away and use another piece.
6) Rinse - This needs to be wash with shampoo
7) Dry
8) Polish - use Autoglym Super Resin Polish, don't use the wax on/wax off you often see, polish in straight up and down/side to side - its easier to see swirl marks if you polish in circular motions, that's why you do it up/down, side to side. Use a nice applicator will make it easier here.
9) Buff - same for the buffing, up/down, side to side.
10) Sealant/Wax - Dodo Juice Light Fantastic is the soft wax for white cars, will be easy to use, will probably smell nice and be a pleasure to use, again, up/down, side to side when applying. If you want a Sealant for long lasting protection - Dodo Juice Future Armour is good here, easy to use spray, spray onto microfiber, wipe onto bodywork then wipe straight back off - 6 months protection - miracle product this stuff!
11) Buff - Again up/down, side to side.
12) Wheels - wash with Iron remover (Angelwax Revelation) and a microfiber wheel brush

These are the products I either use - most of them, for the easiest, but most effective shine or would use for a white car(the wax)

I must stress, I take no responsibility for any problems caused by the directions above. This is what I do with my cars and get great results with mirror glass paintwork, you have to keep in mind incorrect use of the products may cause scratches or undesirable effects, follow the instructions on the products you are using. Best thing to do is take your time and read up on how to guides.
See the pic for the shine I normally now achieve, although the picture does not do it justice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000051 (800x600).jpg (279.9 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by A_Venables; 07-09-16 at 21:39.
(Post Link) post #10 of 10 Old 08-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta

Ok. Thank you very much. I will search for tutorials too. And if i believe i am ready for the job, i will try. Thank you once more

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
maintenance , paint , white

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page