Questions on the 280 engine and towing. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 18-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
Questions on the 280 engine and towing.

Hi there,

We are looking to replace our tow car and I find myself drawn to the Stelvio, I test drove a 280 on Tuesday and for the most part I was pleased with how it performed once it is up and running but experienced some pretty woeful pick up/lag from stand still, felt like almost 2 secs with foot flat to the floor before it decided yup he wants to go, marred an otherwise positive experience, I was very pleased with the ride refinement, road noise and how it drove, and far as I could tell it would be reasonably economical if the trip computer doesnít lie. (my current tow car is a diesel that does 23-26mpg )

So anyone towing with a Stelvio how does it cope and what are the opinions of the 280, whilst performance was good, it didnít seem keen to rev appeared to have done its best work by 5.5k, is that because it was a new car with next to no miles, does it open up?

I will be trying some alternatives like the Cupra Ateca as it is significantly cheaper than a Stelvio and well equipped but personally prefer the look of the Alfa, such a shame the Guilia/Stelvio QF donít tow as a pre-owned one of those would be my preference.

Cheers
Sandy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Ateca or Giulia Quadrifoglio?
Quite a range....
I didnít spot any lag with the 280 Stelvio. Was it in N rather than D?
(Post Link) post #3 of 15 Old 18-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
Ateca or Giulia Quadrifoglio?
Quite a range....
I didnít spot any lag with the 280 Stelvio. Was it in N rather than D?
Its new versus old, I would take an old QF if it could tow as its lovely and I would want to drive it but it cannot tow So instead I buy more boring car mainly for missus than me.

For the Stelvio 280 I would be looking new, as with the Ateca Cupra which is similalry specced, bascially a Golf R on stilts, 300hp, 4wd SUV, DSG.

Yes, I used dynamic mode, I wondered if it was down to waiting for the auto to do something more so than engine, I never really drive autos.
AO Member

County: Northants
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandys View Post
Its new versus old, I would take an old QF if it could tow as its lovely and I would want to drive it but it cannot tow So instead I buy more boring car mainly for missus than me.

For the Stelvio 280 I would be looking new, as with the Ateca Cupra which is similalry specced, bascially a Golf R on stilts, 300hp, 4wd SUV, DSG.

Yes, I used dynamic mode, I wondered if it was down to waiting for the auto to do something more so than engine, I never really drive autos.
I'd put that down to the gearbox. If you drive it in Manual mode with the paddles, this should go away.
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: -

Member car:

Stelvio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandys View Post
... but experienced some pretty woeful pick up/lag from stand still, felt like almost 2 secs with foot flat to the floor before it decided yup he wants to go...
Interesting. I have never experienced that lag.
(Post Link) post #6 of 15 Old 27-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Thing with turbo lag is you do get used to it and learn to drive around it, that there is lag in this engine is understandable, needs a reasonably sized turbo to get the power, the gearbox delay is probably my lack of familiarity with how to drive autos, I will try it again before I commit, I still need to try some of the competitors but I actually like the look of the Stelvio and how it drives so the others will have to be very good to switch my Italian car bias
(Post Link) post #7 of 15 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Finally got around to testing the Cupra Ateca to see if it was a better deal, nice looking car but it definitely feels the cheaper vehicle (which it is) performance wise it had similar issues to the Stelvio despite being a much quicker car of paper, its pick up lag for standstill was large, in gear turbo response was quite laggy too, such delay between accelerator and action. Handling was not as good, steering dull, under-steered very quickly, preferred its media system though and the seats were nicer.

So it seems the standstill delays are consistent between different types of Auto and other brands, so I guess it's me that needs to adjust as you rarely hear complaints.

Considering its the Golf R drivetrain and more revvy than the Alfa I was expecting it to be more exciting but no it wasn't, missus likes its more than the Alfa and its not bad for the money, lacked some things I expect in this sort of vehicle like electric heated seats for example but well specced otherwise, the Alfa still makes a strong case for itself.
(Post Link) post #8 of 15 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Australia
Whatever happened to squeezing on the throttle from a standstill?
Itís a Multiair and does itís best if you think of it as a diesel and use its prodigious midrange grunt. Sheís no revver.
(Post Link) post #9 of 15 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

3 Veloce’s..!

I drive a 280bhp Giulia and I've not really noticed the lag at start up. But an Auto is not quite like a manual, it won't take off the instant you floor it, there is a short wind up time for the box. In reality you don't notice it over time. i might be wrong but the Ateca will be a DSG not a 'proper' auto like the Stelvio/Giulia. The DSG is more like a mechanically operated manual.

Interested in the title of the thread though as I think its likely I will be going for a Stelvio next as I will need to use it for towing rather than the current Towcar (Skoda Yeti). The kerb weight of the yeti is a bit low for the Caravan we intend to get next. What would you be towing??
(Post Link) post #10 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
I am buying a 210 diesel Speciale as I will be towing a 1500kg Dethleffs caravan. I always thought diesel was best for towing due to torque and economy?
(Post Link) post #11 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

I'll be towing a 1500kg caravan and 1500kg hill climb sprint car/trailer, diesel has been great for towing but towing is such a small part of overall usage experience of the vehicle that buying a car perfect for it which we have right now makes it rubbish for the other stuff, so I am trying to skew the compromise of thevehicle more to its main tasks, the car will spend the rest of the year doing short trips to school and shops etc and the diesel DPF is a pain in the butt, in addition I would like it to be enjoyable to drive when I do drive it.

I'm a little concerned that the petrol lag from these small turbos might cause take off issues on hills particularly as they are auto and you can't work around the lag with extra revs and your own clutch control, so have added some bigger petrol engines to look at which should have better off boost torque like Macan S, GLE, Cherokee SRT, reckon the Stelvio needs a v6 between the 280 and QF or just get the QF tow rated, what a miss.

I think the perfect car for us is really for most of the year is a small hatchback like the i30N performance which can tow 1600kg has a manual etc, and is el cheapo but can't get the missus out of SUVs she loves that style of vehicle.
(Post Link) post #12 of 15 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Member car:

3 Veloce’s..!

I think you will struggle to find the perfect car which can comfortably tow 1500 kg, if you are thinking small like the Hyundai.

Interesting thought about the low down torque on the Petrols, but bear in mind you can always use manual if you find you need the Revs.

Iím loathe to go for a diesel for basically the same reasons you have mentioned. But equally if I do find Iím doing a lot of towing, or indeed do a lot of miles generally, even Solo the fuel economy issue worries me.
(Post Link) post #13 of 15 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Member car:

3 Veloce’s..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W1NST View Post
I am buying a 210 diesel Speciale as I will be towing a 1500kg Dethleffs caravan. I always thought diesel was best for towing due to torque and economy?
It is, but........... Petrols are so much sweeter!
(Post Link) post #14 of 15 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloceMitch View Post
It is, but........... Petrols are so much sweeter!
Not if you drive 20000 miles a year like me!
(Post Link) post #15 of 15 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

I've switched back and forth between petrol and diesel, for me it doesn't make that much difference when it comes to big luxury cars, the saving isn't massive, less than a tank a month on 20k for comparable machines.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Stelvio

Tags
280 , engine , questions , towing