Stelvio Italian Front Number Plate Plinth - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 6Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 46 Old 23-11-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Greater London
Stelvio Italian Front Number Plate Plinth

I've ordered a Stelvio for delivery early next year. I find the size of the UK plate too big aesthetically as it intrudes too much towards the grille and was wondering about getting a shorter registration that would fit on Italian sized plates and plinth. I was reading a Giulia thread about the same idea https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ber-plate.html and wanted to know if anyone had any idea about sourcing the Italian plinth part. My dealer says they need to fit the UK plinth as part of the PDI but I could always replace it myself with the Italian plinth as long as the screw hole positions matched. I'm still investigating if they actually NEED to fit the UK plinth as part of some official procedure - owners on the Giulia thread seem to be instructing their dealers not to fit it. Anyway if I can find the part and successfully compare, then I'm happy to fit swap myself. The pic attached is what I sent the dealer by way of explanation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stelvio plate.jpg (83.5 KB, 179 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -
Not ordered yet, but likely to do so shortly, and I too want a smaller plate plinth after reading the Guilia thread. I plan to buy a short number eg X 1 XXX so it follows spacing legality. I may make a purpose made plinth to replace the standard one, with rear profile to match bodywork sculpturing. But that may have to be part 2 of the plan...just need to avoid unfortunately placed holes in bodywork from part 1.

Please keep us posted!
(Post Link) post #3 of 46 Old 25-11-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

I asked my dealer about getting the Italian plinth and he came back with two part numbers, 50535783 and 50541383 I'm not sure if these are the long and the short or two different short versions. I contacted AR customer services for more info and they sent back the following dimensions

Part Number - 50535783
Length: 38cm Width: 14cm Height: 3cm

Part Number – 50541383
Length: 25cm Width: 7cm Height: 76cm

These don't seem to make sense. 50535783 is about the right width at 38cm but very thick at 7cm and a bit too tall at 14cm. 50541383 is 3/4 of metre high...not sure what this is.

I've queried this with both AR and the dealer. Waiting for further info
AO Member

Did you get any further info from Alfa on this? I'm trying to order one for my car.

Edit: MacGeek has kindly confirmed that 50535783 is the correct part number for the Italian market front plinth. For future reference he has also advised that the part number for the smaller Italian plinth for the upcoming Stelvio Quadrifoglio is 50552824 in case any potential buyers of that version also want to fit a smaller front plate.

Last edited by IainUK; 08-01-18 at 13:40.
(Post Link) post #5 of 46 Old 09-01-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

I have got further with this. My dealer got hold of the Italian plinth and will fit it on my car when it is delivered. The plinth has a 5mm curved edge all the way round, so here are two sets of measurements - the overall and the flat 'internal' area.

375mm x 130mm
365mm x 120mm
(Post Link) post #6 of 46 Old 09-01-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

here are some pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8153.jpg (37.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8152.jpg (38.5 KB, 33 views)
AO Member

Thanks. I've given up on my dealer sorting it out and have ordered one via EB Spares so should hopefully have it at some point next week.
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Can't you just attach the numberplate to the big,
****_off chrome bull-bars you're all going to fit
on your SUVs?
Oldie likes this.
(Post Link) post #9 of 46 Old 15-01-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

sure. I'd have bought a Giulia Sportwagon if they made one.
AO Member

My dealer called me unexpectedly yesterday to say they had finally received the Italian mounting plinth so I dropped round and had them fit it. If any other owner needs the short mounting plinth contact EB Spares as they have one in stock and are extremely helpful.
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire
If you have a '1' in your number you can run a smaller plate. I just cut the right hand side part of the original plinth off and attached the one mounting point that was on the cut off piece a bit further across. You can get the smaller plate (406 x 114mm) without any hassle from here http://www.platesforcars.co.uk/index.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4265 copy.jpg (79.6 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by Elfred; 21-01-18 at 13:50.
(Post Link) post #12 of 46 Old 12-02-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Well I got it sorted in the end. Italian front plinth with short plate on front and regular sized with Euro flash on back. Pressed metal plates too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8630.jpg (151.5 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8625.jpg (117.6 KB, 82 views)
AO Platinum Member

Stamped plates? Hope the centres don't fall out of the 0s 6s & 9s.

Acrylic FTW!
(Post Link) post #14 of 46 Old 12-02-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrimJeeper View Post
Stamped plates? Hope the centres don't fall out of the 0s 6s & 9s.

Acrylic FTW!
downer
AO Platinum Member

They are a pain in the arse, tin plates.
I had it happen all the time here in "06" land
before we went to non-departmental numbers.

And they get bent and ripped off by scooterists.

What made you choose them?
(Post Link) post #16 of 46 Old 12-02-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrimJeeper View Post
They are a pain in the arse, tin plates.
I had it happen all the time here in "06" land
before we went to non-departmental numbers.

And they get bent and ripped off by scooterists.

What made you choose them?
Purely aesthetics and an interesting material difference to the ubiquity of acrylic. In researching them I was aware of the potential drop out problem, so I did ensure the adhesive strips bridge those areas. Lets see if it becomes a problem...they were only £20, so not a huge loss if they do.
AO Member

I have ordered a Milano from Glyn Hopkin in St Albans and when I signed on the dotted line I mentioned not drilling the bumper for the number plate plinth and said I would supply an Italian sized plinth and velcro. He said don't bother, have a look at Static Plates. I will be going down that route after having a look. He will fit whatever I want.
AO Member

The front bumper does not require drilling. There are already little square holes in the flat black plastic section at the the top of the left hand side grille. The fixing screws for the plinth come with corresponding square fittings that simply press into these holes. Here is my Italian market short front plinth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3885.jpg (131.2 KB, 70 views)
W1NST and ianrm like this.
(Post Link) post #19 of 46 Old 11-03-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianrm View Post
I have ordered a Milano from Glyn Hopkin in St Albans and when I signed on the dotted line I mentioned not drilling the bumper for the number plate plinth and said I would supply an Italian sized plinth and velcro. He said don't bother, have a look at Static Plates. I will be going down that route after having a look. He will fit whatever I want.
I got mine from St Albans. They got hold of and fitted the Italian plinth for me. Reading your post I looked at Static Plates, but it does say they aren't legal and just for show. I ended up getting 360mm wide pressed metal plates but I was talking to a company called 4Dot in Borehamwood that do short acrylic plates. Their website has good size chart that shows you the legal sizes you can get with different letter/number combinations. To get mine down to 360mm I got a 6 digit Irish plate with two 1s in the number. If you want to spend more on 5 digits or less then you'll be fine.
ianrm likes this.
AO Member

I already have a 6 digit registration to transfer onto the car.

I have had a 3/4 size plate on one of my other cars for 14 years with no problems so will probably take a gamble on the Static plate.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Talking of number plate plinths, does anybody else feel the plate should be more vertical than the std position , pointing at the ground by a degree or two?
AO Member

County: Berkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by IainUK View Post
The front bumper does not require drilling. There are already little square holes in the flat black plastic section at the the top of the left hand side grille. The fixing screws for the plinth come with corresponding square fittings that simply press into these holes. Here is my Italian market short front plinth.
Hi .. Did this work for you ?

I've recently picked mine up and had the dealer put my 4 digit plate onto the car.
No Plate holder, just stick pads onto the plastic bit - same position as yours.
My plate was 355mm wide - and the min legal height 111mm - but I found that it interfered with the front parking sensor.

I've just put a smaller one on 330mm x 111mm (minimum I can get away with) - and re-mounted it further to the off-side edge.
I would have thought that it now clears the remit of the parking sensor - but I'm not entirely sure it has (I have had the occasional error message - "Clean Sensors" or "Front Sensors unavailable" ..

I've not had the car long enough - and when I've driven it my minds on other things - so I've not really noticed whether the sensors work or not - The message clears pretty rapidly as soon as I move off..

How did you get on ?
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
The sensors work all the time. Going through traffic calming posts is pretty stressful round where we live!
My issue with the plate plinth is the attitude seems to be off the vertical. Is the fascia surface below the plinth angled?
AO Member

County: Berkshire
Heres mine, yes It's not horizontal - but follows the line if the bodywork slightly... Whilst I'm a bit OCD it looks right to me, and if I positioned the plate horizontally then I'm introducing another angle into the whole picture - and that would trigger my OCD !

Look at the position of the parking sensor (below, left of the plate) .. I think the plate should be clear of that - but it might just be picking up the bottom left hand edge... I could of course move the plate further to the right.. But I like it where it is - and that then means the fascia behind it falls away as it rolls round the edge..

Whadya think ?
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_4107.png (495.1 KB, 25 views)
markies likes this.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fangio63 View Post
I've just put a smaller one on 330mm x 111mm (minimum I can get away with)
You can go a lot smaller than that still with full size legal spacing etc..
My 5 character plate was only 338mm x 101mm
Your 4 character plate can be 277mm x 101mm

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Stelvio

Tags
numberplate , plinth , stelvio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page