Stelvio Italian Front Number Plate Plinth - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 6Likes

AO Member

County: Berkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
You can go a lot smaller than that still with full size legal spacing etc..
My 5 character plate was only 338mm x 101mm
Your 4 character plate can be 277mm x 101mm
Is that right ?

I had thought the minimum font size + minimum distance to the edge gave you 111mm
And I think I need the "grouping spacing" between the number and the letters ..

I'll look into it ..

Thanks, If the plate is getting in the way then the height will definitely help.

Looks like I'll have to take the plate off to find out though..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fangio63 View Post
Is that right ?

I had thought the minimum font size + minimum distance to the edge gave you 111mm
And I think I need the "grouping spacing" between the number and the letters ..

I'll look into it ..

Thanks, If the plate is getting in the way then the height will definitely help.

Looks like I'll have to take the plate off to find out though..
I worked it all out when I wanted a small plate on the front of my 156.

The letters are 79mm high and you need a minimum of 11mm above & below, which gives you 101mm high.
Mine included the "group" spacing too.
Each letter (apart from I & 1) is 50mm wide and you need 11mm between and at each end and the 33mm between the group.
So you'll have:
11+50+33+50+11+50+11+50+11 = 277mm long.

AO Member

You're right !..

only snag ... where could I get one ?.. My "go to" is usually Plates4cars.. they don't seem to offer this size as an option.. Not yet found anyone else who does.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fangio63 View Post
You're right !..

only snag ... where could I get one ?.. My "go to" is usually Plates4cars.. they don't seem to offer this size as an option.. Not yet found anyone else who does.
I used https://www.fancyplates.com/main/con...ors/fancy.aspx
Select "Custom Size" and put the size required in the Special Requirements and tell them you want the minimum legal spacing.
In the "Registration" box, remember to put the space where the space should be (ie 2 ABC, don't just put 2ABC)

Plates4cars can do custom sizes too, but they want £55 per plate, FancyPlates.com only charge £13.
AO Member

FWIW .. I took the pill and pulled the plate off... _Parking Sensors now work.. And I've repositioned the plate further to the n/s so that the plate edge is right on the plastic/bodywork join..

The Sensors still work, and it looks ok too. Problem solved (I think )
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Hi Everyone,

Looks like there is a strong chance I could be buying a 1 year old Stelvio Speciale. I have a 5 digit plate ?1 ??? format.
Bearing in mind there is already a standard uk plinth on the front, will there be visible screw holes if I went for the smaller front plinth please?
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by W1NST View Post
Hi Everyone,

Looks like there is a strong chance I could be buying a 1 year old Stelvio Speciale. I have a 5 digit plate ?1 ??? format.
Bearing in mind there is already a standard uk plinth on the front, will there be visible screw holes if I went for the smaller front plinth please?
There shouldn't be as the plinth for the Stelvio has fixings that go into the black plastic moulding insert in the bumper as opposed to the painted section. From memory these little square fixing points are used for both the short and full length plinths so you shouldn't see any holes if you switch to the shorter plinth.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
I much prefer the location and attitude of the Italian plate, on the bodycolour area. The U.K. plate is too low and points at the ground.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2D808923-6E86-41B5-937E-9333AE03F00F.jpg (134.9 KB, 15 views)
AO Silver Member

[quote=IainUK;16983761]The front bumper does not require drilling. There are already little square holes in the flat black plastic section at the the top of the left hand side grille. The fixing screws for the plinth come with corresponding square fittings that simply press into these holes. Here is my Italian market short

Last edited by W1NST; 16-06-19 at 11:12. Reason: Duplication
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainUK View Post
The front bumper does not require drilling. There are already little square holes in the flat black plastic section at the the top of the left hand side grille. The fixing screws for the plinth come with corresponding square fittings that simply press into these holes. Here is my Italian market short front plinth.
Hi Iain, really like the look of your smaller plate plinth. Have just put a deposit on a Stelvio subject to my CRV being written off which looks likely. My private plate is 5 digits with a 1 in *1 *** format. What size number plate did you order for the smaller plinth please and where from?
AO Member

County: -
I ordered my plates from https://www.platesforcars.co.uk/desi...p#numberplates

The size for the front plate is 355mm x 111mm. The Italian front plinth does not sit on the painted area shown in cue2's photo above (that looks to be a plate that has just been stuck on). The plinth doesn't make the plate point at the ground either. It is made so that the plate sits almost flat and vertical to the front of the car. It is probably the angle of the photo that makes it look more tilted than it actually is. This photo may show that better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4641.jpg (147.6 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by IainUK; 08-06-19 at 20:12.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainUK View Post
I ordered my plates from https://www.platesforcars.co.uk/desi...p#numberplates

The size for the front plate is 355mm x 111mm. The Italian front plinth does not sit on the painted area shown in cue2's photo above (that looks to be a plate that has just been stuck on). The plinth doesn't make the plate point at the ground either. It is made so that the plate sits almost flat and vertical to the front of the car. It is probably the angle of the photo that makes it look more tilted than it actually is. This photo may show that better.
Thanks for that - if everything goes to plan will order from there.
(Post Link) post #38 of 46 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Wil, be picking up my 68 plate Speciale next week hopefully. Have ordered the Italian plate plinth, then when I get the V5 back I will get my private plate assigned and get it fitted. Thanks for everyone’s help and advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 472C3E4D-2F34-4418-AAC7-9D0DB598B5CC.jpg (160.3 KB, 10 views)
cue2 likes this.
(Post Link) post #39 of 46 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Right chaps - just waiting for the smaller plate to come from platesforcars now. But, just out of interest is there a smaller rear plate plinth and have any of you fitted one?
AO Silver Member

Thanks for all your help guys - plinth and plate now fitted. Looks so much better with the small plinth. Drags it away from the fog light which you can see in the pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CB20CE2A-CF8E-49B9-8700-6CBD302E53B7.jpg (93.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg FC386270-4F52-4402-8F95-C7869ABF263E.jpg (87.5 KB, 7 views)
AO Member

County: Derbyshire
Hi W1NST

I also took delivery of a set of plates from 'Plates for Cars' this week and, like you, ordered a shorter front one.

Just wondered if you had any concerns on them being UK legal and I'm not referring to the size of the front plate?
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVblue View Post
Hi W1NST

I also took delivery of a set of plates from 'Plates for Cars' this week and, like you, ordered a shorter front one.

Just wondered if you had any concerns on them being UK legal and I'm not referring to the size of the front plate?
What makes you think they might not be. They are correct font / spacing and character size?
AO Member

Quote:
What makes you think they might not be. They are correct font / spacing and character size?
I'm sure I've read somewhere that a legit plate has to display the manufacture's post code, all my other plates do, these don't.

I have never been able to buy a new plate before without having to show the V5 with the relevant reg on or a certificate from DVLA showing the same. No such requirements with P4Ps so any naughty boy can buy these plates to avoid all sorts of driving problems.

Don't think the boys in blue will stop you but wondered if MOT stations have to check?

Just doesn't seem quite right to me but I've still put mine on.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Like this?
Supplier name.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C51D9945-B9A7-4F29-B85E-B450F067207A.jpg (76.3 KB, 10 views)
AO Silver Member

Right, I understand now. If need be I will just get someone to cut down my legal full size plate then.
AO Member

Quote:
Right, I understand now. If need be I will just get someone to cut down my legal full size plate then.

Not sure how our plates relate to Q's scan but judging by the number of obviously illegal ones on the roads, I don't think we have much to worry about and can always stick the originals on if we ever have to MOT our cars, if it turns out to be a problem.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Stelvio

Tags
numberplate , plinth , stelvio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page