Stelvio spotted - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 53Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 312 Old 02-09-17 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Stelvio spotted

Saw three Stelvia in a couple of days in Spain last week, and no Giulias. Looks ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: West Sussex

Member car:

GT

They had a couple of them at the dealers yesterday when my old man picked up his nbew Giulia Veloce (which was pretty special tbh!).
It does look like a BIG car from the front, but inside feels more or less like the Giulia. Boot is a decent size (compared to my 3 series touring) but is a little bit narrow. My verdict was "Steve" is a good choice if you like that sort of thing...
Neoalfisti likes this.
(Post Link) post #3 of 312 Old 02-09-17 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Car Magazine tested it and it becomes clear why it needs to be competitively priced; the interior is not quite up to the standards of the Audi or Volvo. But it sounds like it drives well, if a little firmly, so if you actually use it rather than sit using the infotainment it could be nice.
JTD_Liam likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Oxfordshire
Is it officially launched in the UK yet? I can't tell because the offers are on alfaromeo.co.uk, but the configurator only works if you click on 'configurator' from the homepage, not if you go via the Stelvio section, and so far the only road tests have been with left-hand drive versions. And in usual Alfa fashion, next to no advertising, save for the electronic sign above the A38(M) in Birmingham, which has been closed for roadworks loads recently anyway!

Despite my criticisms of Alfa as a company, the car itself looks v nice. Good that they've priced it more competitively than the Giulia. From reading the Car review it does seem like it needs to be priced a bit lower, and it'll do Alfa no harm in pricing it a bit lower to tempt people in anyway - as we've covered to death on this Forum, they simply don't have the number of ready customers or dealers to price their cars in-line with Merc, BMW etc just yet, even if they are broadly just as good - which the Giulia is, even if the Stelvio isn't quite.

Price something right and you'll sell it - just look at the Nissan Juke. My Parents had one for 2 years and still to this day I dunno why there's so many on the road - it did nothing better than competitors other than it was cheaper and it's made here (which some may view as a positive).
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1451
County: Perth and Kinross
Garage

Member car:

Stelvio Milano

The official launch is next Saturday but there are cars in (some, probably all) dealerships & orders have been open since 1st Aug.
JTD_Liam likes this.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8CRED View Post
The official launch is next Saturday but there are cars in (some, probably all) dealerships & orders have been open since 1st Aug.
Ahh right, I'll cut Alfa a bit of slack for now then. But it wouldn't have hurt to give the press RHD versions for UK road testing I think. It's really not nice driving a LHD vehicle in the UK, and Alfa don't want to give journalists any excuse to get the car marked down.

I've seen a couple of dealers post online this evening saying they now have their RHD cars in stock, and unlike with the Giulia it looks like Alfa has supplied more eye-catching white & Misano Blue models. Now all they need to do is a launch advert this week. Trouble is they don't have enough dealers to get too many people through the doors at once
AO Silver Member

I thought I'd not seen Misano Blue on the configurator. Having checked, it's not on there, but one of the dealers has a RHD one in Misano. And there was a pretty nice dark green in the brochure but that's not on the configurator either. And when you look at the Stelvio offers it says 'click here for our offer for the Stelvio Milano Edizione' but when you do it redirects to a blank page

Is it just me or does stuff like this really aggrivate!? Have they got anyone in that HQ in Slough that actually wants to be there?
(Post Link) post #8 of 312 Old 03-09-17 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Alfa build batches of cars to get stocks up for launch. The salesman who handed over my new Giulietta told me about the batch of blue diesel Giulietta autos with red leather the uk got sent for the latest model without asking for them. They sat around for ages, in fact I got one as a loancar recently which must have been in the showroom for a while!
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

4C

At least ARUK has a configurator on its website. There are no configurators on the Australian website
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
Saw three Stelvia in a couple of days in Spain last week, and no Giulias. Looks ok.
I think it looks way better than the awful, derivative Giulia.

Luckily they kept only good part of the Giulia's styling - the front bumper, but sadly kept the awful Audi A6esque headlamps. Why is it that since the Mito, Alfa's headlamps have been so horrid ?

But the rest is very 147/Giulietta like (a good thing), well apart from that fat rear bumper.

If they sorted the headlights and rear bumper, removed all the extra metal in the shell they added to make it unnecessarily higher (lets face it no one takes a fake off roader off road) saving 300 kgs and making it normal car height, we d have a nice looking and driving rear/ four wheel drive hatch.

I d even consider one then, well ONLY if the UK was allowed the manual.
ALFAGUY147 likes this.

Last edited by typos1; 03-09-17 at 23:59.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
Alfa build batches of cars to get stocks up for launch. The salesman who handed over my new Giulietta told me about the batch of blue diesel Giulietta autos with red leather the uk got sent for the latest model without asking for them. They sat around for ages, in fact I got one as a loancar recently which must have been in the showroom for a while!
I can understand them building a batch of cars for launch. I just think it'd be nicer if they built them in a few different colours rather than only 1 or 2. In the case of the Giulietta facelift I could understand they wanted to show off the newly-offered 1.6 JTDm TCT, but why not do some in the new grey/blue colour and others in something else that they know would sell, like Alfa Red or Cobalto Blue? I would've considered one of those launch models, even the paint colour looked alright, but they all had the same wheels from the 2010 Veloce spec, rather than mixing it up a bit, and they all had red leather which I didn't think went with the paint. Why not use black leather which is less divisive?

Same with the Giulia - the dark blue models look nice, but so do several of the other colours. Now AutoTrader's awash with dark blue diesels - the biggest oversight was possibly having only/mostly diesels - it seems on here the petrols are definitely the favoured engines. Alfa might not have foreseen that, fair enough, but they could've at least split it 50/50 petrol & diesel for the demos so there's not a glut of unwanted cars hanging around.

The Stelvio approach *seems* better - some white demos & some in Misano Blue, with black leather. At least they shouldn't have a limited appeal with those. They need to get their website sorted though - too many glitches! And advertise the damn thing!
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscione1750 View Post
At least ARUK has a configurator on its website. There are no configurators on the Australian website
That's shocking. I guess it's down to the Australian importer. Seems poor though
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTD_Liam View Post
That's shocking. I guess it's down to the Australian importer. Seems poor though
Australia and New Zealand are always one of the last markets to receive the cars. Japan is usually the last market.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Saw 5 in France last week.

Every one had the front wheel arch protectors either missing or hanging off with no signs of impact damage.

Both sides seem affected.

Must be a common build issue then

paulosoares likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Lancaster

Member car:

147 & GQV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post

Every one had the front wheel arch protectors either missing or hanging off with no signs of impact damage.

Given the Stelvio has been around for a 'while' on the continent, one would hope this issue has already been resolved.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David WB View Post
Given the Stelvio has been around for a 'while' on the continent, one would hope this issue has already been resolved.

I admire your optimism lol
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post

It's an SUV. Those parts are sacrificial and meant to come off in the rough stuff.
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrimJeeper View Post
It's an SUV. Those parts are sacrificial and meant to come off in the rough stuff.
No, its a fake SUV !
Squadrone Rosso likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: -
Apart from the two I saw at Goodwood earlier this year, I've seen two on the road in France in August. One met grey and one met blue. The met blue one looked really nice.

Not really a car for me but I understand why Alfa are doing it - they need to compete and the SUV market is where it's all at (for some reason)!
AO Member

Saw at least a dozen in and around Turin 2 weeks ago; none of them had bits hanging off...
AO Silver Member

alfa romeo need to do cars like this to survive
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotital View Post
Saw at least a dozen in and around Turin 2 weeks ago; none of them had bits hanging off...

Given most there will belong to FCA, I'm not surprised
(Post Link) post #23 of 312 Old 14-09-17 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa 4 ever View Post
alfa romeo need to do cars like this to survive
Not just for their employees in Turin to drive though.
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire
Saw one earlier this year in Greece. Must admit it looked a little dull up close.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
paulosoares likes this.
(Post Link) post #25 of 312 Old 16-09-17 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

It is a bit lumpy. The shape of the chrome around the windows is not that sweet, for example.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Stelvio

Tags
spotted , stelvio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page