DNA Tuning Italy - Suspension parts have landed.. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 6Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 31 Old 08-11-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Mito QV

DNA Tuning Italy - Suspension parts have landed..

Hi guys,

As per my previous posts regarding upgrades for trackday work. Had some new bits arrive I thought I would share with you guys.

Made contact with DNA tuning in Modena, really helpful guys and placed an order via C1-R for the following:

1. Uniball front suspension arms.
2. Front suspension braces
3. Updated rear torsion bar kit
4. Negative rear camber plate kit
5. Uprated anti roll bar drop links..

Attached is a pick of all the goodies.. On the bench @C1-R..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (92.4 KB, 128 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 31 Old 11-11-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Mito QV

Quick update from me. Chris @C1-R fitted all the bits yesterday. His comments were that the parts are really good quality and fitted perfectly.

My impressions from a quick drive home last night and the commute this morning.

1. Front end is considerably more communicative. The standard steering feel even in Dynamic is somewhat rubbery and not particularly direct. The car has a tendency to wander and you are always correcting it slightly. Not with the uniball bottom arms and uniball drop links, car now feels really direct, much more feel and steering precision has improved considerably. Negligible increase in road noise as well.

2. Rear end, uprated torsion bar was set at the middle setting, 75% stiffer than standard. Rear end is now much stiffer, where you could feel considerable roll on tight corners, and constant radius turns (like big roundabouts) now seems much flatter. Stiffing the rear should reduce understeer, however the balance is neutral at the moment, probably down to the rear camber now being -2.5degs. Defo need to get some top mounts to dial in some more front camber and check the balance.

Overall a good improvement in dynamics and the car feels much more responsive and stable.
JnL likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

BMW M135i

Good effort there mate!
(Post Link) post #4 of 31 Old 11-11-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Mito QV

You know what they say Towney, it's in the corners where all the fun happens..
AO Member

County: Vlaams Brabant
Would you say these parts are a good upgrade for reducing body roll when cornering?
(Post Link) post #6 of 31 Old 13-11-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Mito QV

Vinzend,

The rear torsion bar upgrade is effectively adding an anti roll bar for the Mito, which we know doesn't come with a rear anti roll bar as it is a torsion beam setup.

The kit links the 2 rear trailing arms together via the dampers, where as standard the rear tailing arms operate in a partially independent manor. i.e rear torsion beam setup with beam only providing the roll stiffness for the rear end by linking of the rear radius arms.

However as the anti roll bar is attached to the rear torsion beam, it also effectively increases the torsional rigidity of the beam. Still with me?

The overall net effect is that the rear of the car has greater rear torsional rigidity, thus increasing roll stiffness. If the rear of the car is stiffer, then the car should have less under steer and turn in should be improved.

None of the other parts fitted have an effect on roll stiffness. Also no one to my knowledge does a front anti roll bar kit for the Mito.

If anyone wants more info, just shout..

Last edited by evo6rss; 13-11-14 at 09:50.
AO Member

County: Roma
Hi,

do you have a mail address to contact DNA tuning ??
(Post Link) post #8 of 31 Old 17-11-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Mito QV

Busso,

It's [email protected]
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo6rss View Post
Vinzend,

The rear torsion bar upgrade is effectively adding an anti roll bar for the Mito, which we know doesn't come with a rear anti roll bar as it is a torsion beam setup.

The kit links the 2 rear trailing arms together via the dampers, where as standard the rear tailing arms operate in a partially independent manor. i.e rear torsion beam setup with beam only providing the roll stiffness for the rear end by linking of the rear radius arms.

However as the anti roll bar is attached to the rear torsion beam, it also effectively increases the torsional rigidity of the beam. Still with me?

The overall net effect is that the rear of the car has greater rear torsional rigidity, thus increasing roll stiffness. If the rear of the car is stiffer, then the car should have less under steer and turn in should be improved.

None of the other parts fitted have an effect on roll stiffness. Also no one to my knowledge does a front anti roll bar kit for the Mito.

If anyone wants more info, just shout..
Thank you for this very complete explanation . I was looking to improve handling a bit. The roads in Belgium are the worst... The back sometimes seems to 'reset' itself on the road in a bend or turn.
(Post Link) post #10 of 31 Old 18-11-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Mito QV

Could you explain what you mean by 'reset' itself?
(Post Link) post #11 of 31 Old 18-11-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Mito QV

Just to add some additional info to this thread now that I have had time to reflect on the upgrades. I have purposely been taking it easy with the car for the last week. This has been for 2 reasons..

1. New bits(especially race/track orientated bits) on the suspension often have a habit of coming loose after a few miles. So we marked all the fasteners with a line of paint when we put them on, so we can check to see if they are winding themselves loose. News is.. Anti roll bar drop links locking nuts have, these are the second nuts on the thread that are used to lock the top ones up.. Bit of Loctite and now all is good. The first locking nuts didn't come loose which is reassuring.

2. I wanted to build up to and understand what the car was gonna do with a much stiffer back end, no point in binning it into a hedge when it gives you a big over steer moment that you aren't expecting..

As we all know the weather has been awful the last week. really wet, tons of standing water and all the grip issues that are associated with it.. So.. Gave the car a bit of spanking last night as it was a bit dryer and these are my thoughts.

1. First the front end. Now that the front suspension geometry is effectively fixed by using the uni ball front arms and uni ball drop links, front end grip is excellent. Much better than before. So much so I didn't see the traction control light, traction out of corners has improved significantly and there is no more woolly feeling that was there previously, where you had to try and guess how much lock was needed for a given line. The fixed suspension geometry has also translated into a much more stable car on the brakes. No more wandering and skittish application of the ABS as the front arms were moving around underneath the car. My advise get some, a definite pre LSD upgrade. Can't wait to get a LSD in the gearbox now, it's really gonna complement these suspension bits. When really pushed the car does it's 'slight reduce power' thing, but the traction light doesn't come on. Figure this will get sorted with the LSD upgrade.

2. The back end. Much more playful, you can feel it starting to move very progressively on turn in to the apex. There is a particular corner that joins the motorway on my commute, it is effectively 70deg constant radius, quite tight. Where before the front would try to wash out and the car would not turn in, now it just turns in, you get on the throttle and you feel the chassis move underneath you as the back is moving out, but it doesn't let go, just tightens the line and then you are through the corner.

3. Overall. really nice balance when pushing on, back end is now doing what it should be, moving around to let the front drag it through the corner, although there is still some understeer is this now more dependent on how the turn in phase of the corner is approached. 100% improvement in chassis dynamics. Can't recommend this stuff enough..

Evo6rss

Last edited by evo6rss; 18-11-14 at 15:23.
AO Member

County: Kent
Sounds great! The website is very tempting... !

Good find and look forwards to hearing more
(Post Link) post #13 of 31 Old 20-11-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Mito QV

Chris @C1-R has just had a mail back from Mario @ DNA racing. Mario has agreed to make a prototype set of these for the Mito..

Rear_UniBall.jpg

They are Uni Ball rear inserts for the rear beam..

I post some pics when they have been made and fitted, plus some thoughts as usual..

Evo6rss..
JnL
AO Member

Member car:

MiTo QV

Thanks for the infos about the rear anti rollbar.
Do you loose many ground clearance with this? Was the installment difficult? How do you set the stiffness?
(Post Link) post #15 of 31 Old 23-06-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Mito QV

Install is straight forward.. I attached to the rear beam with u-clamps and brackets. The roll bar has 3 holes in the end which allow you to adjust the stiffness. The you bolt the bar to the bottom of the damper pick up with the supplied drop links. I have now got DNA to change there kit and the drop links are supplied with dust seals which should ensure longer service life. I killed a set of drop links over the winter with salt ingress. There are no clearance issues at all.
JnL
AO Member

Member car:

MiTo QV

Quote:
Install is straight forward.. I attached to the rear beam with u-clamps and brackets. The roll bar has 3 holes in the end which allow you to adjust the stiffness. The you bolt the bar to the bottom of the damper pick up with the supplied drop links. I have now got DNA to change there kit and the drop links are supplied with dust seals which should ensure longer service life. I killed a set of drop links over the winter with salt ingress. There are no clearance issues at all.
Thanks for the explanation.
Unfortunately Ive read, that the whole thing is not street legal (in Germany at least).
AO Member

Quote:
Could you explain what you mean by 'reset' itself?
Sorry for the late reply . On rough roads, when turning, the back end seems to be 'jumping'. I can't quite explain it. It feels like it just drags along and jumps back in to place when the car enters back into a strait bit.
AO Member

County: Finland
I'm so tempted by the front arms... The handling under heavy acceleration and the way the grooves on the road keep you busy all the time are the weakest points of MiTo. I gather DNA arms pretty much fix this.

Evo, you mentioned earlier there's more road noise with these, how bad is it? I've busted my hearing in the army, so i'm a bit hesitant. MiTo isn't one of the quietest little cars to start with...
(Post Link) post #19 of 31 Old 29-06-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Mito QV

vizend, that is the rear spring rates, mine does it as well. The car seems to yo, yo a little. Needs stiffer springs, change to the damping. Front end does it as well on the limit..

Jpe61, they are not that bad, no worse than standard really. Most of the noise in the Mito is tyre noise. Maybe 10% more..

EVO6RSS..
AO Member

Member car:

alfa

hey evo6rss,

how's the lower arms till date?
purchased mine sometime ago..have yet to have it fitted.. been taking them out of the box onces a while just to stare at them.

on mine, the powder coat seems fragile. harsh weather here.. more afraid about rust and corrosion...

how much mileage have you had them already?

am waiting some coilover reworks.. before having my lower arms fitted together with my coilover and the topmounts!
and yes.. I've already got LSDs

Hope to hear from you soon!
(Post Link) post #21 of 31 Old 16-09-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Mito QV

The powder coating isn't great. But tbh where they are they won't corrode to badly. My ARB on the other hand is very corroded already after 1 year. Having it off soon to shot blast and re powder coat.
AO Member

Member car:

alfa

Any pictures of your arb in its current state?
JnL
AO Member

Member car:

MiTo QV

Anyone installed only the suspension braces (listed as tie rods on the dna racing homepage)?
JnL
AO Member

Member car:

MiTo QV

so, finally mounted my rear anti roll bar from dna racing (painted it black for protection reasons):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dna racing antiroll bar.jpg (63.0 KB, 49 views)
gordonli1 likes this.
(Post Link) post #25 of 31 Old 05-01-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Mito QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JnL View Post
so, finally mounted my rear anti roll bar from dna racing (painted it black for protection reasons):
Looking good..
JnL likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa MiTo

Tags
dna , italy , landed , parts , suspension , tuning

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page