Our Mito reviews. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 219 Old 31-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Essex

Member car:

Mito 1.4 16v.

Our Mito reviews.

I thought i'd start a thread where we can all post our Mito test-drive reports and reviews, as opposed to having loads of seperate ones. I'll go first...
__________________________________________________ ___________
Ubizzle's Review
Today i went for my Mito test drive, having finally decided to part with an hour of my time - which i could've spent on AlfaOwner, or shopping for things i don't need for the Mito.

Having read about the crappy ride I honestly expected to be smashed into the headlining repeatedly having heard the reviews of the Mito, when i test drove it today. On all but the worst surfaces it wasn't too bad - better than my brother's Mini by a mile. Even when i was sitting in the back, the ride was much better than the Minis, as well as the overall space and comfort. It got unsettled a few times, but it was still surprisingly good having heard some terrible things, the worst was over a sharp crest at about 70mph, which led to a bit of the whole car not getting air, but basically giving you the feeling you were an inch away from it - i certainly wasn't in my seat at the time, and were it not for the seatbelt, i probably would've ended in the back, but that's just because despite the fact i haven't been driving for a long time - it still gave me the confidence to give it some - especially on the straight bits, and long sweeping corners. It felt perfectly solid when it finally came back down though. Encouraging me to go faster and faster.

The car was wonderful - i loved the engine (1.4TB 155) - i was driving around at 30mph in 6th gear just cos it felt so used to being relaxed - something i can't say about some others i've driven/been in. I took a long drive down a country lane (both ways - there and back) and it was wonderful, i left it in fourth the whole way, i think i only changed into 5th twice, because it hadn't been run in fully - didn't wanna do damage. It was fantastic - so easy to point, very little roll, the steering might not be too feelsome, but it's direct, and the fact 4th covered so much meant i could just floor it and let the torque propel me much forward at a MUCH higher rate than i expected it to.

Basically, I know i won't miss that extra 60bhp, because i won't use it too often, and i don't mind changing down to overtake etc, but it was just fantastic. I would, however, want to invest in a short-shifting mechanism, because while the gearshift is much better than the GTs is supposed to be - according to my brother, who drives a colleagues one from time to time - it's still undeniably a bit long. I'm so used to just having a shorter shift in my Sister's ForFour, even if it's nothing like as smooth, that i'd want to sort that out. The gearstick is also pretty long. (Any ideas on sorting this - like where to get a short-shifter etc).

The rear window was ridiculously small - and i think my brother finally realised that when he drove it, after saying not to get parking sensors, he knew it would add another challenging dimension to parking (something i've already lost the ability to do since my test).

I also didn't bother thinking about a Fiat 500 Abarth because of insurance, and now my brother's told me i could get insured, so part of me really wants that - but the rest of me definitely wants to stick with the Mito. It's the better mix of fun and cruising i think, while the 500A is meant to be a bit of a hooligan (as Olop said).

The Alfa Red (which i drove) was also stunning. It was lovely seeing the reflection of the Mito in the back bumpers and boots of others, makes you feel good. It just seems to be getting more and more beautiful, and when sitting inside, the car shrinks around you, and cocoons you, the feelings of safety, quality (of build, not materials) and purpose all make up for the slightly offset pedals and some poor materials.

No regrets worth considering - the F500A is a lovely car, but i like the cruising in the Mito, and i prefer how it looks - not as try-hard as the (albeit beautiful) 500A, but more subtle and classy than the hooligans Fiat. I'd maybe get some Eibach springs on it - which would make the ride worse - considering i've got 18s - but even though it doesn't roll much right now - i wouldn't at all then.
__________________________________________________ ___________

(P.S. This topic already deserves sticky-status)

Blue Mito, Tan leather. 'Nuff said!

Last edited by Ubizzle; 31-01-09 at 17:37. Reason: left out one word...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
Re: Our Mito reviews.

Great review - thanks
AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

I also drove a 1.4T 155 bhp Veloce today courtesy of Western in Edinburgh. Much of the drive was around town where the car was comfortable and tractable, with a nice burble to the exhaust. The ride is more than acceptable - firm but pliant and well damped.

On the open road ( and I managed a reasonable run down the Penicuik road) the car was an absolute hoot. Direct steering with good, if slightly artificail, feedback. On first impressions your instinct is to overcompensate for the feedback, but you very quickly get used to it - it is very direct and quick. IMO the journo's have been far too quick to criticise.

The brakes are sure footed and responsive with lots of feel . It's easy to slow the car down quickly with smooth and progressive retardation.

The ride and handling at speed is as good as anything I've been in in the class. The quickest cars I've driven of that size are my old Ren 5GT Turbo, which was brutal by comparison but certainly no quicker, and my friends new Mini JCW, which is a cracking little car. Obviously the Mito is slower and less direct than the mini, but considering tht power difference (155 v 210 bhp) the mini doesn't put the Mito to shame - and the Mito is more comfortable. The Mito GTA should be a really serious competitor.

AS for the engine? Well, switch the car to Dynamic and it is amazingly tractable, with almost no evidence of lag and a willingness to pull strongly in sixth from about 45 mph.

The build quality is good - no rattles were evident and, despite some hard plastics, there was no evidence of cheapness and it was all solidly screwed together.

Downsides? Erm...... The DNA system seems pretty redundant - N for normal would be better labelled T for Turgid and I can't quite understand why anyone would want to drive the car in that mode. The stereo didn't sound great and the fabric seats in the demonstrator could have been a little more supportive (although they were comfortable).

Would I have one? Dang right! I'de give it a good solid 8/10.
AO Member

Member car:

159 1.9JTD Lusso

Excellent reviews guys, thanks - sounds very positive, looking forward to getting a chance to drive one in the near future
alfisti1

excellent review guys...
can't wait to see the mito in aus.

AO Member

County: Perthshire

Member car:

non Alfa Romeo

Tested the MiTo on Saturday and I have to say; I was impressed.

The build quality seemed very good and the overall feel of the was of a much bigger car. It had a good presence on the road next to other cars and it was particularly nice to note as I drove out of the dealership a Mini driver craning his neck with his mouth wide open trying to get a good look at it!

Driving the car was comfortable and the cabin seemed well laid out with all the important instruments clear. The seats offered good support and the adjustment was as you would expect in a new car. The ‘competizione’ dash was nice and looked really good. Less good was the quality of the plastic in the rest of the dashboard, which was a bit cheap looking in hard, hollow plastic. The same material is used on the doors, which is a bit disappointing. The overall look and feel of the inside was good however and it was a very nice place to be. The boot is not huge but it is big enough for my tennis gear, hill walking equipment and shopping which is what I need it for.

Driving the car was easy and the gear change felt good and not vague as in some cars I have driven. The gear knob does look a bit ‘bling’ and the gear layout is not very clear on it but as I spend most of my time looking in front of me rather than at the gear stick when I’m driving, this really is not a problem. The DNA switch is quite chunky and solid I felt but its position is maybe a little awkward. The system itself however is really good. I must say that I was a bit sceptical about the DNA but having used it I think it is really clever and works very well. In ‘normal’ mode the car is nice to drive and the steering is perhaps a little too light but in town I found this ideal. I could nip in and out of the traffic with no problem. But when I flicked the switch to ‘Dynamic’ the whole car seemed to tighten up. It was very subtle though, not jarring or sudden, just a slight clenching of the car itself. The steering became tighter and the car definitely felt like it had a bit more attitude which is great for those times when you want to fling it about a bit. Cornering was flat and controlled and the car felt sure-footed through all the B, A and motorway driving that I did. There was a slight rumble or gurgle from the exhaust but the engine was a little too quiet when you felt it should be loud. But then again, I have been spoilt with the 2-litre unit in the GTV.

The looks have been discussed thoroughly and some, including myself, had their doubts about them. However, I find myself starting to like the looks. An Alfa, IMHO, should be different and the MiTo is certainly that. After all, if I wanted to drive around blending in, I could buy a Mini or a BMW. Of course, I have ordered one and I may be just trying to justify my decision.

There are those who say that the MiTo is just a tweaked Grande Punto but that is not fair. The MiTo is so much more than that. Alfa have tweaked it yes but in a way that makes it an Alfa not a Fiat. The Grande Punto is a great car but it is not an Alfa, nor should it be.

IMHO, an Alfa is something different. It gets under your skin, into your soul. My first car was an Alfasud. I loved that car. But I also hated it. I hated the fact that they (mine aside) tended to rust to nothing. I hated the colour of it and the strange brownish interior colour. I hated the fact that the brakes were so difficult to work on and the electrics could be a little temperamental. But I loved the sound it made. I loved the fact it had five gears when all my friends old bangers only had four. I loved the rev counter and the way it drove and wanted to be driven. I loved the way the bonnet opened and the fact you could clearly see Alfa Romeo over the boxer engine and how it was only a 1.2 but sounded and felt so much more. In short I loved more about it than I hated and I think that is the way I’m going to feel about the MiTo.

During my test drive I got the Alfa wave twice and one of these was from a guy who wasn’t even driving an Alfa so that felt good and that is what driving a car should be about. How it makes you feel. I have been lucky enough to own Alfas that you want to drive for no other reason than for the hell of it. The Alfasud made me feel like that and so did the MiTo.

I’m no wine connoisseur but I know what I like. I like a full-bodied red and a nice crisp dry white. I’m no Jeremy Clarkson, Tiff Needel or motoring journalist either but for my money, and after all it is my money, the MiTo may be an Alfa with Fiat underpinnings as indeed my GTV was, but Alfa have made it enough of an Alfa for me and I liked it!

Cuore Sportivo
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

Thread stuck

Mine copied from my original thread

Test drove one at Platts of Longton, Stoke. (Pictures in Images).

155bhp Petrol.

Normal is crap. Sloppy steering, lacklustre throttle response & performance.

In Dynamic it flies. Nice (though still artificial) sharp steering, good brakes, decent ride, nice sound & so on. Great driving position.

Room for me in the back (big chap), even with the front seat set to my driving position.

Still think the plastics on the lower dash & the doors are hard and cheap. The lower dash in particular looks to be made out of exactly the same plastic (pattern & everything) that the dash in my 1993 Ford Orion was. I know we recycle but that's just a bit silly.

Decent boot but the rear seat backs need carpet.

Still not 100% taken by the looks. The 3 door Punto looks better IMHO (but I'd still have the Alfa).

Overall, a solid 8 out of 10 for me. Roll on the GTA

Simon

Daily Driver FIAT Panda Cross Twinair Stunning Giulia 115 Spider Series 4 fine weather toy

Wife's Daily Brilliant Toyota GT86

AROC South Wales Section Secretary
AO Member

Mito 1.6JTDm 120bhp test-drive

Having seen and driven the car before on the Balocco test-track, I was wondering how the car would actually perform during daily road usage, and especially what it would feel like getting from the MiTo into my 147 and the other way around. This saturday, the perfect opportunity presented itself, my 147 needed a check-up. I got a 159 as a replacement car, which clearly feels more grown-up than my 147, but less fun. Picked up a friend, who is also a bit of an Alfa-freak, and drove around a bit. At 1pm, my 147 was ready, so we went back to the dealership, talked a bit with the owner and eventually asked for a test-drive in the MiTo. The car they had there was a full-spec 1.6 diesel in white.

First step was finding a good seating position. This hadn't changed a lot compared to the preproduction model I tested in June, steering wheel position can be customized for about anyone and is absolutely perfect. Same for the seats, and it didn't take long before I felt very comfortable, and a lot better than in the 147 or the 159 to my taste. The dashboard is more "in your face" and a lot closer to you, which feels very sporty. When driving relaxed however you don't get a cramped feeling because there's a good distance between you and the front-window, a lot more than in the 147, which gives the impression that it's lot a bigger car. The steering wheel itself has a really good grip, and really tells you where to put your hands when wanting to drive a bit more sporty. I always liked my 147 sports steering wheel, but this-one is simply better.

The quality feel of a lot of things had seriously improved over the test-cars I drove in June in Balocco. The fake-leather cover behind the steering wheel had been worked on. It's still there, but has been tightened up and doesn't look as messy. The dashboard in general feels a lot more solid than in the preproduction models, the fake carbon feels softer and more durable now. Look in front of you and it all looks great. Mid-console also looked ok, until I slightly bashed my knee against it, which caused the whole thing to move and really didn't leave me with a good impression. The door-finish is still exactly the same as those of the pre-production car I tested in June, which is very poor, only thing that changed was the fake carbon feel. It's sad, because if that would have had a more quality feel to it, the overall impression of the car would be a lot better. Hard plastic that moves when you rest your elbow on it? Not what I'm used to in my 147. In general, certainly a lot of improvements, but the doors, mid-console and Blue&Me USB connection cover give it a cheap feel. Not good for a 'premium' mini-rival.

So the driving. I started off in "Normal" mode, in which the driving is pretty relaxed. Steering is about as light as in my 147, but the throttle response is very poor and feels a bit like putting your foot on a sponge. After a few miles however, you get used to it and it's actually quite relaxing to drive this way in city traffic, you're not tempted to do stupid and risky things. I made the mistake of switching to Dynamic in such traffic. Not a good idea - steering tightens up and becomes a lot heavier - both my hands automaticly went to the steering wheel. The throttle response becomes just a bit too 'enthousiastic' for city traffic, so I quickly switched back to N, and headed for some roads we frequently visit for car-testing. The gear-stick is actually 4-5cm too long I think, it doesn't look or feel like you're driving a more sporty car, and you end up taking the stick a lot lower, even when driving relaxed. The gear-changing itself however is very sharp and direct, and gearbox overall feels very very solid, and probably one of the best I've driven in the last few years. Changing gears could easily be done without the clutch, and if you get to know the engine a bit more this could result in gearbox-raping quick shifts.

Once in less dense traffic, Dynamic mode got a chance. Again, both hands went to the steering wheel immediately, the difference is just too big to handle with one hand. Not that you couldn't handle it with one hand if you wanted to, but just the difference quite big. Throttle response sharpens up, and the sponge feeling is gone completely. Reaching the first corner - no traffic at all - I went for it. I know this corner pretty well, I do this every day. Full throttle to the corner, releasing it at the last moment immediately followed by short and hard braking and steering in. Direct steering response, but indeed lacks some feeling - certainly not bad at all, and the rest of the car clearly says what it's doing. At 1/4th of the corner, the back slightly broke out without a trace of understeer, and this was extremely controllable with both the throttle and steering, and I never felt or seen the electronics kick in to help me. Halfway the corner, pedal to the metal again, and here it clearly said that it could handle a lot more power. We still came out of the corner at a highly illegal speed, a lot faster than I ever could with my 147 - and this was the first time I ever took this corner in this little devil... I was really surprised because in general, it certainly feels (and is) slower and a bit underpowered when you're used to her 150bhp bigger sister. Being lighter doesn't make up for the difference, although it would probably easily beat the my 147 without the remap which originally also had 'only' 120bhp. The little car however feels a lot more confident and controllable in the corner, proves that it's not just for show and screams that it could handle a lot more power. In Dynamic mode, it really feels like a toy which wants to show off what it can handle.

The suspension is a strange thing. Alfa developped a special set of shock absorbers with dual springs of which I got a very nice and technical presentation at Balocco - but there I didn't really notice any of this while driving, since most of the time we were having fun on a racetrack. On normal road however, it feels very comfortable at all times, though while playing with the car, there is almost no bodyroll and really sticks the car to the ground. My friend had the 147 with 'sports' suspension and according to him, the Mito's suspension is at least on-par with what his 147 had, but a lot more comfortable. Offcourse the excellent seats also help - but I can't complain about the 147 on this level. With the release of the GTA, a 'dynamic' suspension, controlled by the DNA system will become available as an option, which should improve this even more.

Then the engine, the 1.4TB certainly is better than the diesel for this toycar, but that doesn't mean the diesel is bad at all, quite the contrary. I did stall it a few times because I expected more torque in lower rpm, but my remapped 147 is a serious torque monster - I can easily take off in 2nd with it without noticing, so don't blame the Mito here. It might also be because the 1.6 diesel feels the same as the 1.9 while actually running at 500rpm less, so you end up driving at 1200 to 1500rpm in the city or when driving relaxed. My 1.9 wouldn't that like at all, it's relaxed range is more 1800 to 2100rpm, where most of the torque is available. The torque in the 1.6 comes at 1700rpm, so it took some getting used to. It redlines at 4500rpm, so you get a wider 1700->4500 powerband compared to the 2100->4500 of my 147. Overall, the impression of the 1.6JTDm was very positive. Although it's a bit noisy when putting your foot down, it's an acceptable agressive growl, not a German TDI diesel-sound. It's also not the "I have a huge engine that's gonna eat you" noise the 1.4TB gives you - which is just raw agressiveness, but for a diesel, it's quite nice and at normal driving speeds it's very quiet. This engine is probably perfect for someone who wants a diesel MiTo, and remapping it would probably make a lot better. I can't believe the 1.3JTDm would be any fun, not even mentioning the 1.4 78bhp petrol, they would be a total waste. If you only buy the car for it's looks and not the fun-factor, they will probably suffice if you look at all the 90bhp Astra's etc driving around, but when you're used to having some power available, it won't. The 1.4TB would be my first choice and while not a bad engine at all, I'd only go for the 1.6JTDm as a lease-car.

So, next stop - the highway. Still in dynamic mode, I quickly ended up driving 160km/h without really noticing it. It didn't take me there as quickly as the 147, but it didn't have a hard time getting there. Noise-levels are acceptable, certainly for such a small car. The interior doesn't make a sound, and we could talk normally at this speed. Then I switched back to Normal mode. Wow - that's a difference. Steering feel changes slowly, but throttle response changes very abrupt. Keeping the throttle position the same, you slow down a lot, the sponge-feel is back - and I switched one lane. Normal mode really isn't suitable for driving more than 130km/h - which is probably a good thing. Highway driving is pretty comfortable, it feels like a bigger car than it actually is, I wouldn't mind doing 100km+ trips with her like I do with my 147.

So the DNA system, does it work? Yes it does, no doubt about it. Some people critisize it because other cars have a better '1 setting fits all', but having driven it in various driving situations, I think it's actually very positive that you consiously have to choose "I want to drive sporty". At Balocco I was demonstrated what it did on the ice-track in "All weather" mode, which would otherwise be very hard to test, which was simply amazing. The normal mode is for relaxed all-day driving - and yes, it feels pretty dull, but relaxed. It might sound irritating, but you very quickly get used to it. I switched back to normal mode when getting somewhat more traffic around me because D mode is just too nervous. I'd probably end up driving in Normal mode most of the time because of this, so the car doesn't push me like my current 147 to quickly overtake someone or shoot in a gap. Public roads are no race-track, so this probably helps to drive safer when you're not aware of it that you're taking risks, and certainly with the younger public they're targetting - this is a good thing.
Some generic behavior of the DNA system might be interesting: when turning off the engine while in Dynamic mode, next time you start it it's Normal mode again. Put it in All weather, next time you start it, it's All weather again. Switching in from Dynamic to Normal in mid-corner, the feel only changes when the steering wheel is straight again, and switching to Dynamic is impossible at speeds higher than 90km/h. The DNA system clearly got a lot of attention and does what it promises. Real Alfisti might not like it, because the car by default absolutely doesn't drive like an Alfa - mostly due to the throttle response, but Dynamic mode transforms the car from a sane small car into a real toy.

A lot of people also seem to be put down by all the electronics, but during the entire (almost 4h) testdrive pushing the car further than I ever did with my 147, I've only seen and felt electronics kick in once - and I'm glad they did. We were just cruising (still in D mode) and we drove through quite a long stretch of road of which one side was flooded a bit, but which was deeper than I expected. The result - some serious aquaplaning. Electronics quickly kicked in and except for the initial splash, I didn't feel a thing. The only thing I noticed was the nervous flashing orange light on the dashboard telling me the electronics didn't like something the car was trying to do. It's a bit scary to feel absolutely nothing on the steering wheel at such a moment, it really felt dead as if I was driving on rock-solid road with loads of grip. It was the only moment in the Mito I really thought "that's not good" about the way it drove. The good thing is, the car keeps a straight line, and still reacted instantly to steering when trying to change lanes, without any hesitation or feeling as if you're driving on water - something I actually was doing. You clearly hear the system correcting what the car is trying to do - the brakes are doing overtime and you get the typical ABS sounds - but the steering wheel feels rock-solid. After seeing and feeling this, it is clear that the car's handling is not built around the electronics, it's just the feel, power and safety that is. Only thing might be the electronic Q2, of which I don't think you get any notification - but even if it kicked in, I didn't notice this at all... Having seen the rear-suspension in the Turin factory (the day after we test-drove it on the track) - I still have trouble believing they could get the handling this good, but no complaining on that level.

So overall - very positive for non-track useage:
+ DNA system
+ Handling in corners
+ Suspension
+ the 1.6 JTDm and 1.4TB engines
+ Gearbox
+ Seats, seating position and 'cockpit' feel.
+ Steering wheel
+ Dashboard build quality and feel

-- Interior door and mid-console build quality feel. 2 times a "-" because of the contrast with the front-dashboard and expectations the car would get
- Steering feel with moments. Improves in D mode, but could be better. Not as bad as most ppl say though.
- Practicality (but who cares when buying such a car)
- Long gearstick

All in all it's a small car with a big fun-factor and 'wanna-have' feel once you took it around a few corners in Dynamic mode. 1.4TB is the way to go for fun, unless you want to wait for the GTA and are willing to spend more money on it.

-- sleep is a poor substitute for coffee --

Last edited by KoFFiE; 04-02-09 at 09:16.
AO Platinum Member

County: Newport

i just enjoyed the test drive and cant wait to get my hands on mine...sori guys dont do all the techy stuff so will just say I love IT
AO Silver Member

County: Highlands

^^ valid point tess, if you like it who gives a damn what others think.
AO Silver Member

County: -

seems my review is too old...

Joost's review

Finally the waiting is over. Last Thursday I opted to my dealer to come and get her, but the licence plates weren’t there yet. This meant one more night of agonising pain, but it gave me the chance to say goodbye to my lovely 147. After 2 years a car can really grow on you. She gave me no troubles, did her job just fine and so a last drive before farewell was in order. Mind you, a 147 Jtdm really lacks the feel you want from an Alfa. That much has been established since last Friday.

Friday morning I gave her a final good go for about 70 miles. In 2 years time I have been round the world nearly twice, had one speeding ticket (!), got hit twice, drove with speeds exceeding 120 mph and loved the feel of accelerating. Most of all I loved her looks! In night blue with spoked 17 inch alloys she really is a looker. But new things soon replace a feeling of the past, as this weekend has proven me.

So last Friday I rushed my meeting from 10 am to 11.30 am and went to the dealer to become a Me Too member. Cause that was all there was on my mind since ordering her in September: Me Too please!

The dealer took some time to do the paperwork, pared my phone with the Blue and Me and handed me the keys. Finally! I got in and from reading stuff I automatically lowered the seat and pulled the steering wheel towards me. Let’s race!

One slight disappointment: I was working and the dealer is only about half a mile from our office. I had to be back at the office for another meeting. So the first kick I got, was driving her for half a mile at 30 mph. Bummer.

That soon changed at about 4 pm. I had (not intentionally) planned a meeting over 60 miles away. A good chance to experience her over a longer period of time and on different roads: motor way and local roads. Next bummer. I was well on my way doing a mere 90 mph when red lights lit up in front of me: traffic! The 60 miles took me over an hour and a half. Still no chance for the real thing, aaarggghhhhh.

Meeting went on till 8 pm and finally, finally: open roads on my way home. 90 Miles of Mito heaven! Although. It was freezing about 6 degrees centigrade (21F) and roads tend to get slippery. Furthermore the voice of my dealer came back to haunt my urgent needs: please Joost, don’t do full throttle for the first 700 miles. Aaarrrgggghhh.

Being a good boy I reacted to that voice, slid her in A mode and took her home at about 90 mph. Driving at that speed I soon found myself ‘feeling’ the car. I looked around: great leather seats and the brown ‘natural’ colour really gives it class. The dash looks fantastic, even with the stuff pulled out of the Grande Punto parts bin. Mind you, the stuff they took out of the bin and placed into the Mito are spot on. The aircon in a 147 doesn’t work below 4 degrees centigrade (39F) and the GP’s does it’s job just fine at any outdoor temperature.

The Blaupunkt radio/cd is excellent although I really have to fiddle with the user settings to get a really good sound out of it. In my girls GP that worked fine, so no worries there. Indicator storks look the same as in the GP, but work better in the Mito. It has a one touch option for overtaking. Flicking them once results in three blimps from the indicators.

Then there’s a bunch of buttons to the left of the steering wheel (left hand drive version) with buttons to control fog lights in exactly the same way as in the GP. But enough about the GP. There is one more thing though: the dials, when in the dark, in white. They reminded me of a certain ’68 1300 Giulia Ti. White numbers show up looking like they are placed flat on the dash. But enough of history. You want to know how she goes and how she handles.

I partially found out today! I had a 90 mile vice versa trip to do. Still freezing, but with over 150 miles already on the dials I felt like teasing her a little. Time to test the DNA.

Being a good boy I drove away in A since the roads around our house are frozen solid. A mode really reacts to loss of grip and prevents you from sliding over the ice to the outside of the corner. Going at about 10 mph does help though. On the open and ice free roads I soon found myself doing 100 mph. It felt like the Mito was designed to do even more. At 100 mph she feels like she can go a lot faster (still in A mode). Remembering my 147 for a brief moment: she felt uneasy above 100 mph. The Mito does 100 mph with two fingers up it’s nose.

At this speed (still in A mode) you really can feel that the wheel base is shorter. Humps in the road you’ll feel, but at the upside, they don’t linger on. Just a short shock and that’s it. It feels like you are driving a heavier car. Solid and firm. After about 30 miles fun presented itself in the form of a ‘99 Citroën Xsara Coupe VTS driven by some young-ens. You know the type: thrashed to perfection, slumping driver with one hand over the steering wheel and a bloody chimney for an exhaust. Mind you: 167 bhp.

He overtook me and looked at me with a smile that could end the war in Irak. Feeling like Irak I wanted revenge. I lowered my speed to 70 mph (had to), flicked the dna switch into D, changed down to 4 and floored it. Within seconds I was on his tail and a few seconds later I passed him, both of us flooring it. It is not my 155 bhp, but it really was the throttle response giving me the edge.

That about sums up the D mode. The throttle is so quick to react that you really feel like flooring it al the time! Doing 100 mph in D mode still gives loads of need to go faster! The sound that goes with it, makes you turn off the Blaupunkt. Sadly, the really twisty roads were to icy to really get a feel about the Mito when driving her fast on those roads.

Downsides? Yes. You can’t really see anything when looking over your shoulder. You need to look at the aircon to operate it because of the small buttons and the button that operates the windows isn’t lit itself. Lastly, she drinks petrol like your local regular 11 am pub visitor drinks beer.

100 mph will cost you 3,5 gallons of petrol every 60 miles. That’s 13 litres every 60 miles. At 75 mph she still needs about 1 gallon for 28 miles.

A summary:
Great feel to the car. Feels like driving a really bigger car. D mode really gives the kick. Stunning looks inside and out. Thirsty though. Best car I have driven yet.

Let´s see what 37 more bhp and 75 more NM will do. In about three weeks from now a review on that difference.

Ciao
Joost

Chrono: 1991 33 boxer 1.7 I.E. - 1996 146 2.0 16V Ti - 1972 Giulia Super 1.6 - 2006 147 1.9 Jtdm Collezione - 2009 Mito 1.4 TB Sport - 2011 Lancia Delta MultiAir - 2015 Giulietta 170 bhp TCT (ordered, delivery in September: I'm back )
AO Member

County: Perthshire

Member car:

non Alfa Romeo

The Parkers review is available now.

Seems they like it. 4 stars.
AO Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

FL Leon FR TDi

Test drove 155 Veloce Today here is a mini review:

You get in and sit at a high position but is very easy to get comfortable.

Intial drive firstly in Normal steering feels a little overlight much better on dynamic but steering is the Mito weak point TBH it lacks feedback hard to know what the front wheels are doing. Engine is smooth and has a roarty note when extended, pulls well and certainly has plenty of go for day to day driving with a little extra in reserve for overtaking. Normal throttle setting is good but I would personally have it in Dynamic all the time expect for harsh conditions.

Ride is a little on the hard side and being a short wheelbase car you do feel the road, I personally think that the car has a much better ride on 16" than 17" rear end feels a tad bouncy overdamped. In many way's similar to a 1 Series.

Interior is very good for the price you cannot really fault it well screwed together and feels a more premium product. I do think the gearstick throw is too long and gear change a little too soft but not so much so to put you off driving. Controls are well laid out Speedo is good although steering wheel can make it harder to read and the all too important 30 and 70mph marks are missed off.

As a package and for the price it is a cracking car you can enjoy a more spirited drive and feel you are in something a little sporty and a little special. It's a car I would be happy to own and can see us placing an order for a Lusso 120TB in Graphite, with climate and cruise good blend of performance price and options.

Having a good chat with the dealer principle on a 36 month PCP no deposit arounf £220-£240 a month. PX prices are on the rise slightly my BMW has gone up a whole £25 this month!! On a serious note the dealer said that car's are making more money in auctions and dealers are paying alittle over the odds for good stock. Not all bleak for those PX prices should firm up over the next 6 months.

Last edited by jezyg; 11-02-09 at 15:40.
AO Member

County: Durham

Member car:

alfa 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezyg View Post
Test drove 155 Veloce Today here is a mini review:

You get in and sit at high position but is very easy to get comfortable.

Intial drive firstly in Normal steering feels a little overlight much better on dynamic but steering is the Mito weak point TBH it lacks feedback hard to know what the front wheels are doing. Engine is smooth and has a roarty note when extended, pulls well and certainly has plenty of go for day to day driving with a little extra in reserve for overtaking. Normal throttle setting is good but I would personally have it in Dynamic all the time expect for harsh conditions.

Ride is a little on the hard side and being a short wheelbase car you do feel the road, I personally think that the car has a much better ride on 16" than 17" rear end feels a tad bouncy overdamped. In many way's similar to a 1 Series.

Interiro is very good for the price you cannot really fault it well screwed together and feels a more premium product. I do think the gearstick throw is too long and gear change a little too soft but not so much so to put you off driving. Controls are well laid out Speedo is good although steering wheel can make it harder to read and the all too important 30 and 70mph marks are missed off.

As a package and for the price it is a cracking car you can enjoy a more spirited drive and feel you are in something a little sporty and a little special. It's a car I would be happy to own and can see us placing an order for a Lusso 120TB in Graphite, with climate and cruise good blend of performance price and options.

Having a good chat with the dealer principle on a 36 month PCP no deposit arounf £220-£240 a month. PX prices are on the rise slightly my BMW has gone up a whole £25 this month!! On a serious note the dealer said that car's are making more money in auctions and dealers are paying alittle over the odds for good stock. Not all bleak for those PX prices should firm up over the next 6 months.
Has the pcp got a mileage limit e.g 10000 per annum etc.
AO Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

FL Leon FR TDi

I was not told at was ball park figures but 10K is the usual figure only really matters if you hand the car back and 12K is the average millage that values are based on.
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Not really a full review but copied from my other post:
Ok so read all the reviews both on here and from the pro's - seen it in the flesh in Italy and the UK and the missus had it down as a serious contender for her next car. After test drives in the new Mazda 2 and Seat Ibiza sports coupe (both of which she also loved the looks of but didnt like the drive, interior or some other facet of the car) I persuaded her to go take a test drive hoping I could sneak a little try too. Missues was adamant she was going to wait till 2010 plate to get a better deal but offf we troddled to the dealers anyway. (Chris Variavas in Notts In case you want to know.)

OK wont give a full test review as its been done to death but N was a little sluggish though I can totally see the point for stop start driving in busy town as steering is very light and throttle delivers lazy and easy power. The D mode transforms the car and makes steering and throttle response brilliant. Its a real pocket rocket. So after an hours test drive I was convinced and the missues was bowled over. My only minor complaints are as follows:

1) Touch wallowy in corners.
2) Some of the plastics are sub segment standard.(Lower dash etc)
3) No carpet trim on rear of seats in the boot unless you go 60/40 option. (WTF?)
4) Arm rest is so high you can't change gear if its down - so it will go up and stay up no doubt.
5) On our test car the passenger door was sticking quite severely - better buid quality eh
6) Limited rear visibilty (but not a biggy really)
7) The much talked about gear lever with its bling and 2inch too long lever.
8) Having to pay for options like Climate, metal pedals, reversing sensors, dipping mirros etc on a 15K supermini which should have them as standard.
9) The price - lets be honest its a little high though the dealers was rammed and claims to have sold nearly 30 so obviously the price is right for them and Alfa.
10) Very little discount or incentive offered by dealer. (See point 9)
Er and thats it to be honest - I thought it was a great little car, special place to be and the wife just loved it. But did we love it enough to shell out 50% more than for a top spec Seat/Mazda????

So whats the end verdict - well order placed for a 120TB Veloce (Didn't think she needed the 155 and hoping it will be nearly as fast with more usable power for city driving) in Etna black with black leather, (Ohh to have natural leather or not - anyone got pics or advice?), heated seats, dual climate (What a rip off), metal sports pedals, electric folding mirrors and rear parking sensors because you can't see sod all out the back . At the 11th hour we left off visibilty pack as or only concession as I love the lights and the dimming mirror on my 159 but the wipers drive me up the wall and it seeemed like alot of cash for little benefit. Due on 1st May and I or should I say the wife can't wait.

56 1.8TS Lusso, 156 2.0JTS Selespeed Veloce, 159 2.2JTS TI, Mito 1.4TB 120Veloce, 159 1750 TBI TI.

Last edited by GCDBONES123; 23-02-09 at 11:44.
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire

My view.....

Having owned the Mito (well MrsMiTo has) since tuesday and using it on a variety of road situations here's my initial review.

The exterior styling is quite superb, the more you look at it the better it gets, admitidly there are a couple of scary angles that make the nose & lights look a bit bulbous, but having been up close whilst washing it yesterday, its all ALFA without a doubt.

The Interior, we plumped for the cloth sports seats MrsMiTo's not into leather (not in a car anyway ) they are comfy and supportive, with masses of adjustment, driving position is good, all dials & controls well positioned, nice features like when you switch on all the needles (speedo, tacho, fuel & temp) go round the clocks and back, nice red mood lights in the ceiling console, nice at night, yes the plastics on the glove box & lower doors are a little cheap, but at a car starting at just under £11k, its forgivable, rear seats, excellent room, my rather tall daughter sits in comfort, behind the tints - she thinks she's a super model - actually she is in my eyes . Sports pedals are a nice touch (extra cost). Black carbon effect dash is good it doesent reflect the sun, all round vision good - except the rear its a bit GT. Boot good for the size of car enough room for two standard size suitcases.

The ride, well again having used all modes on a number of roads... here goes

Normal Mode - initally feels a bit woolly, but round town - where I guess the main use of the car will be its absolutly spot on, light steering, smooth acceleration and nice ride make it a perfect town based car, we used the hillholder yesterday coming out of the Highcross shopping centre, no feet on pedals no handbrake on no roll back at all nice feature. When you use Normal mode on the motorway at 70ish the steering does stiffen up - must be speed sensitive too.

Dynamic Mode - The centre dash screen changes to show a graphic of the turbo boost guage (fun). The steering really stiffens up and re-centres quite aggressivly (two hands needed during spirited drives), the engine mapping changes the car immediately, and its lots of fun, the acceleration is epic for such a small car, the handling is really flat and secure no scuttle or shake, its really chuckable!. In 5th & 6th gear planting the pedal and it just flies, overtaking is a breeze the turbo has a bit of lag but nothing to worry about. I wouldnt recommend Dynamic mode in town its too agressive and would get quite tedious.

All Weather mode - not tried in anger

Overall MrsMito is chuffed to bits, big smile on her face, she's now an Alfisti

The MiTo IS definately an Alfa Romeo, make no mistake, its sexy, stylish, spirited, but fun to drive, has a character and passion, its a real head turner just like its predessors.

Looking forward to the next few years of ownership

"Once an Alfaholic, always an Alfaholic"

"Petrolhead Heaven - The only way to get there is in an Alfa Romeo"

AO Member

Great review GTleigh. Couldnt agree more about it being a true ALFA. just out of interest are you running in MRs Leighs mito at all? (Sounds liek your thrashing it from the word go ) Im a bit old scholl and was going to run in the wifes new Mito for 600 miles or so. Just wondered what the dealer had advised?
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCDBONES123 View Post
Great review GTleigh. Couldnt agree more about it being a true ALFA. just out of interest are you running in MRs Leighs mito at all? (Sounds liek your thrashing it from the word go ) Im a bit old scholl and was going to run in the wifes new Mito for 600 miles or so. Just wondered what the dealer had advised?

There's no real running in period with new cars, just let it warm up fully first and then dont let the engine labour, occassionally opening her up for a quick blast is fine, MrsMito has done over 500 miles already !!!!
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLeigh View Post
There's no real running in period with new cars, just let it warm up fully first and then dont let the engine labour, occassionally opening her up for a quick blast is fine, MrsMito has done over 500 miles already !!!!
Thanks
AO Member

County: Merseyside

I haven't got a lot to say, except that for the first 2 or three days I drove my car thinking "What have I done?", I couldn't get comfortable and I was just generally unhappy. Anyway, to cut a long and boring story short, I went for a drive and finally got the chance to put it into 'D' mode, and fell in love with it! Happy now! Only thing is, I have a seatbelt ghost! When no one is in the front passenger seat, it says someone is in it with seatbelt on, but when someone is in the seat, the sensor behaves normally! Will take it to get seen to soon, but in the meantime, I never feel alone in the car!

8th Alfa lucky
AO Member

County: California

Member car:

Pontiac Fiero

One of the members of this forum submitted a comprehensive review of his wife's MiTo to my US-based website automotivetraveler.com. It is complete, including images and can be viewed at this link. Would love to have members visit and take a look.

33010010312_large.jpg

Richard Truesdell
Editorial Director, Automotive Traveler magazine, automotivetraveler.com
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_traveler View Post
One of the members of this forum submitted a comprehensive review of his wife's MiTo to my US-based website automotivetraveler.com. It is complete, including images and can be viewed at this link. Would love to have members visit and take a look.

Attachment 64117

Richard Truesdell
Editorial Director, Automotive Traveler magazine, automotivetraveler.com
1 remark, the 120bhp petrol is also a turbo engine, not an NA. It's the same engine downtuned and attached to a 5-gear box and the car has smaller brakes
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Various VAG

Seasider's Review

I had a Diesel MiTo today care of Wilsons in Chadwell Heath while they serviced my Spider today.

I have to say I was very impressed by the car and think it fits well as an 'Alfa'.

In terms of what I thought about it ...

DNA - only used D and N ... N to me felt like I was driving through treacle, it felt as if someone was constantly holding the car back, D was great with nice lively pickup

Steering - nice weighty feel to it but occasionally an un-natural feeling as the car returned to straight ahead ... I'm guessing a symptom of an EPAS system?

Noise level - very good for a small car and a diesel, remarkably little 'diesel' noise

Interior - not too keen on the 'carbon weave' pattern over the interior trim, the bling golf ball gearstick was not my taste either and I wasn't too keen on the squidgy handbrake lever either ... seats were good for cloth seats ans nice and comfortable ... general trim finish was pretty good for the market sector it lies in.

Exterior - the car i had was red with the chrome light surrounds and the 'horseshoe' wheels ... looked great but then I like the quirky style

in conclusion if i get round to buying a second car so i put less miles on the spider a MiTo will definitely be near the top of the list
AO Silver Member

County: -

Last edited by Janitor; 15-07-09 at 22:35.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa MiTo

Tags
mito , reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page