Spider rear window replacement - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 67 Old 11-03-09 Thread Starter
Ti.
AO Member

County: Greater London
Spider rear window replacement

Any tips on replacing a rear window section on a 2001 spider gratefully received...! After receiving a couple of quotes from a franchise and independent service centre (between £350 and £460) I got myself one off Ebay for £150 which arrived today. No instructions but it looks fairly straight forward with some velcro type strips and a zip. Perhaps famous last words so if anyone has taken on this job, please point me in the direction of potential hazards before I commence. Ta!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Devon

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6 24v

Re: Spider rear window replacement

Hi, I'd be interested too, was it one of these by any chance?
Link
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Spider

Just remove all bottom bolts from frame that rests against body, unzip and un-velcro to remove.

On fitting new rear section work from bottom up ie attach to frame first.
AO Member

County: Bristol

Am I the only person who had to drill out pop-rivets all along the bottom edge attaching it to the frame?

It's otherwise easy so long as the zip on your replacement window meshes nicely with your existing zip. Mine was fine but I get the impression it's not always the case.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Spider

Hi Jay,

i did have to drill one! one of the larger ones that are at the very edge of the rear screen fabric, where did you get replacement bolts?
AO Member

County: Devon

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6 24v

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTwo View Post
Am I the only person who had to drill out pop-rivets all along the bottom edge attaching it to the frame?

It's otherwise easy so long as the zip on your replacement window meshes nicely with your existing zip. Mine was fine but I get the impression it's not always the case.
I contacted a seller on ebay asking for details, he's selling brand new ones for £140 + p&p, his response was brief but indicated that the zips can be an issue.
(Post Link) post #7 of 67 Old 14-03-09 Thread Starter
Ti.
AO Member

County: Greater London

Freddy, yes it was exactly that one. Arrived the next day and was the cheapest one I saw. I fitted it yesterday.

Things to be aware of:

1) I didn't have any rivtets (I think this probably means someone had a go before on yours Jay...?) but two of the allen screws were rust welded to the frame. After much WD40, tapping and mole grips they finally came out.

2) The zip on the new section looked identical. But no. The bit right at the bottom of the new section was too wide for the zip mechanism itself (the bit you pull). I fiddled for ages but eventually had to cut it off. Then, after a bit more fiddling (recommend reattaching the elastic straps at the top to the frame rather than propping it up on the rear shelf) it came together. Once I did this I realised that I should have put the screws back in at the bottom before attempting the zip (should have waited a day for KarmaAlfa's advice). However, I didn't want to go back through all that zip stuff again so gave it a go with zip done up. It did work. Eventually. Even managed to get the 2 screws I had problems with back in. Shame I dropped one into the roof mechanism. It got too dark to look for it so I'm off again now to find it.

This was one of those jobs that looks straightforward but leaves you aching for days due to the awkward access and rusted screws and bits that don't quite fit properly. Still, it saved me £300 on the garage price and I can now at least see out of it!

Ti
AO Member

County: Hessen

Member car:

77 fastback

Hallo Ti and the rest,
I don't want to get on peoples nerves by repeating myself so I just refer you to a thread from November last year.

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ider-hood.html

Many Regards

Chris Clark
AO Member

County: Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabriotec View Post
Hallo Ti and the rest,
I don't want to get on peoples nerves by repeating myself so I just refer you to a thread from November last year.

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ider-hood.html

Many Regards

Chris Clark
Hi bud, any news on the glass screens??
AO Member

Member car:

77 fastback

916 Spider Glass Rear Window

Hallo V8pete
Thanks very much for the interest in my Glass rear screen. The latest news is that the first two prototypes all working well (in electric hoods) and I've just sent out another pre-production rear screen to iron out the last questions regarding the production of these rear windows. The customer fitted it in three hours after only having a description of how to fit it, from me, over the 'phone. I expect to advertise it here in Germany in the next couple of weeks. If you have any other questions just drop me a line.

Chris Clark
AO Silver Member

County: -
Another interested party here (if the screens get made).

Im in NL, so maybe easier to arrange money/delivery etc if they get put in to production.
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabriotec View Post
Hallo V8pete
Thanks very much for the interest in my Glass rear screen. The latest news is that the first two prototypes all working well (in electric hoods) and I've just sent out another pre-production rear screen to iron out the last questions regarding the production of these rear windows. The customer fitted it in three hours after only having a description of how to fit it, from me, over the 'phone. I expect to advertise it here in Germany in the next couple of weeks. If you have any other questions just drop me a line.

Chris Clark
Hi Chris, any news on this glass screen? any pictures available? any idea on price?

Cheers Rich
AO Member

Member car:

77 fastback

916 Spider Glass Rear Screen

Hallo Rich_wooky
I have the screen now fitted to three cars and everything seems to be going O.K. I want to sell this screen for 350 euros. At the moment I'm completely tied down with working on the new (old) house and a lot of things have to be ready in July as it is my wife's 50th. All husbands will know what this means!
After this event I shall be able to devote more time to the screen business.

Regards

Chris Clark
AO Member

Member car:

77 fastback

Alfa Spider 916 Glass Rear Window

Hallo V8pete, Rich_wookey, euroboy and anybody else who's interested,

The glass rear window is now in production. After extensive testing I feel that all the bugs are now out.

Regards

Chris Clark
AO Silver Member

County: -
Hello Chris,

Any hints on price etc, and some pics too if possible.
AO Member

County: Oxfordshire
Hi there,
I am just North of Berlin and would be interested in a glass rear screen.
Let us all know when details are available.

RR
AO Member

Member car:

77 fastback

Alfa Spider Glass Rear Window

Hallo euroboy and Rufus Ruffcut

Thank you for your interest in my Glass Rear Window. I have 17 pieces of glass left from the first batch and I am selling these for 300 Euros each. After that I'll be ordering new glass with a couple of minor changes (black surround and 2cm higher) which are basically to help me in the production. The price will then be 350 Euros each. The fitting is easy. I'll post some current pics. in the next couple of days.
BTW have you looked at my latest video with the Audi 80 and glass rear screen
Audi 80 Cabrio with glass rear window 2 - YouTube

Chris Clark
AO Member

Hi there,

Sorry I have a dumb question!
On the standard plastic rear window, this folds along the centre line as the roof folds away. How does the glass window get around this?

Regards

RR
AO Member

County: Kildare
I dont think thats a dumb question, I would like to know that too.
AO Gold Member

County: Peterborough, Cambs
So would I ....we had to have the rear screen replaced earlier this year and are very happy with the result....can't recall the cost atm...but am happy to give the guy a up and find out the cost to let you all know.
AO Member

Member car:

77 fastback

Alfa Spider Glass Rear Screen

Hallo Rufus Ruffcut, JETRO and jillyflower

I expect you're not the only ones who would like to know the answer to this question.
To have the rear screen of a soft top lying (when open) somewhere between the horizontal (MX5) and nearly vertical (Alfa Spider, Barchetta, Z3), with the bows of the frame to the rear, then the hooding material that is attached to the top of the window has to go first towards the rear of the car and around the last bow before it is then attached to the front box section of the frame. In the case of the MX5 there is enough hooding material to do this. The Alfa Spider with a one piece hood and glass rear screen does not have enough "free" hooding material to do this. The answer then is not to connect the top of the glass screen to the hood, but to tension it when the hood is closed using (3) straps which go from the top of the screen to the first bow. These straps go over the last bow and then under the next one before they secured to the first bow. When the hood is opened the tension on the straps is released and the window can move into correct position in the hood box. The hood can open completely because there is no window attached to the last bow to stop it folding into the hood box. The original plastic screen is attached to the last bow and that is why it has to fold.
The zip flap which is still attached to the rear bow can be cut off if you want but I leave it there because it is not in the way and you never know....
I hope this was enough to satisfy your curiosity.

Regards

Chris Clark
AO Member

Thanks for that, although in reading your explanation it is hard to picture so will have a good look at the mechanism over the weekend. Lucky that I am in the UK this week.

RR
AO Gold Member

County: Peterborough, Cambs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus Ruffcut View Post
Thanks for that, although in reading your explanation it is hard to picture so will have a good look at the mechanism over the weekend. Lucky that I am in the UK this week.

RR
When you figure it out .........please send idiot instructions to me And YES I do mean it
AO Member

Member car:

77 fastback

Alfa Spider Glass Rear Screen

Hallo jillyflower,Rufus Ruffcut and anybody else who's interested.

I'm doing a glass rear screen fitting on Monday (manual roof) and I'll try to make a fitting video while I'm at it. I'll keep you posted as to how thing went.

Regards

Chris Clark
AO Gold Member

County: Carlow
Will you be doing a glass one for the electric hood as well? I'd be interested in one, if the price isn't too astronomical.. :mygrin1:

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
rear , replacement , spider , window

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page