First issue with my folding soft top - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By strokers

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
First issue with my folding soft top

Follow alfisti, my soft top has a cracked plastic gear on the hatch opening which prevented the roof from opening ..I've since replaced the gear and now I've observed that the motor doesn't release the hatch when I press the centre opening closing switch .i can hear all motors working as it release the soft top but since the hatch is still locked nothing happens .I can unlock from the switches behind the passenger seat ...what did I do wrong that prevents the centre switch from releasing the latch that holds down the hatch cover...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 12 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Ok maybe i should be more specific. After pressing the button the rear roof will detach from the 2 holes of the hatch but apart from hearing the motor whirring away nothing happens..the roof still cannot lift up the rear window screen and there the latch of the motor wouldnt unbolt...can someone help?
(Post Link) post #3 of 12 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Norfolk
Garage
If Iím understanding the problem... with the hood closed, when you press the button to open it, the hood releases the two pins at the base of the rear window and does no more? The rear of the hood should lift and then the clamshell should open. Might be worth checking the microswitches in the worm drives that lock/release the pins and on the frame. If the ECU thinks that the pins havenít released then it wonít start the next part of the sequence.
(Post Link) post #4 of 12 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

County: Essex
Garage
Assuming it all worked okay before the cracked gear-cog replacement, I'd look at the cable tensions from the motor. They go to hooks either edge of the clamshell, which also apparently have micro-switches.
From a testing point of view, you could start the process ie 5th arc leaves the clamshell, then turn off the ignition which allows you to manually raise the back section high enough for the clamshell to be opened. On the clamshell motor (during disassembly) you probably noticed the spindle can be pushed inwards to disengage it from the motor, allowing for manual turning of the spindle, then see if the hooks move enough to release. This is all from memory when mine played up sometime back, from my experience the the whole roof up/down process is a bit taboo in that you mustn't venture from the "process". In reality I have been able to stop-start it halfway go back forward etc but then I don't have the red indicator which most seem to worry about (I assume it was disconnected by a previous owner).
(Post Link) post #5 of 12 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for the reply ..where are the locations of the lockpins ..maybe looking at these i can be sure whats going on
(Post Link) post #6 of 12 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Ok faffer and Nellytheroc..i will look into all these and try it later
(Post Link) post #7 of 12 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

County: Essex
Garage
Its a bit "chicken & egg", in that you have to get the clamshell open first to look at the worm drive(s) as they are fixed to the underside.
(Post Link) post #8 of 12 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Ok today ive tried to work on the roof based on the advice i had from my fellow alfistis...firstly putting the roof back and up again does not help..ive noticed the flashing light on the centre switch is now just lighted and goes off like ready to use. However it still cant gear ..checking the worm gear and it all turns but the hatch still does not go up..the hatch can be release with the emergency button so i would assume the lever position is correct. However with the centre switch it does not release at all..when i press the centre switch i can hear the worm gear moving but nothing happens. Im afraid my problem is the hydralics ramps .i do see a little leak on the drivers side . Its all like guess work so far and i cant see any pins or locking mechanisms preventing the roof from opening..pressing the emergency button will release the roof and open the hatch although it still cant stand vertical ..im at a loss what to do next ..if im desperate i might just tale out everything and convert to manual operation ..
(Post Link) post #9 of 12 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Ok hard to put in words what im going thru but the pins for the hatch can be release and secured again even with the centre switch ..the rear window does not go up and from there on nothing works even with the emergency switches
(Post Link) post #10 of 12 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Worked in the car ..checked the worm gear it works fine ..all i can see is that the hydralics are not working ..the hydralic motor is not turning , there is a fair amount of leak on the driver side . Ive lowered and raised the roof a few times manually and it still does not help., the pins can be released fron the hatch with the central switch but the rear roof window piece does not operate at all. .any other suggestions ?
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokers View Post
Worked in the car ..checked the worm gear it works fine ..all i can see is that the hydralics are not working ..the hydralic motor is not turning , there is a fair amount of leak on the driver side . Ive lowered and raised the roof a few times manually and it still does not help., the pins can be released fron the hatch with the central switch but the rear roof window piece does not operate at all. .any other suggestions ?
If I understand you correctly the pins of the rear window section are working but the window section will not lift. You say you have a leak in the hydraulic system so I would suggest you have this repaired and the system filled with fresh fluid and then test for operation.
(Post Link) post #12 of 12 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Ok just to close this issue ..I've identified the issue. There was no power going to the hydraulic motor as suspected and now with a change of relay it working again..apparantly a broken gear can still open the rear hatch .
faffer likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
folding , issue , soft , top

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page