Strange noise... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By Nellytheroc
  • 3 Post By Nellytheroc

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Norfolk
Garage
Unhappy Strange noise...

Given the recent good weather, I ave mostly been driving my Spider. Had to pick up a BBQ/fire pit today and took the GTV and noticed a bit of a strange noise... I can only describe it as a whirring/droning sound which is related to road speed and not engine speed. It sounded to me like it is coming from the front but the Mrs was adamant it was coming from the rear. I quick check when I got home confirmed that the tyres were properly inflated and the wheel nuts were secure. No undue movement in the wheels. Iím guessing the next step is to jack up each corner in turn and spin the wheel listening for anything untoward.

Iím guessing it could be...
a. A wheel bearing; remove hub, press out old bearing and fit new one?
b. CV joint especially since I had the obligatory split boot last MOT. Can this be replaced in situ or does the drive shaft need to come out? Hub off?
c. Iíve got grooved discs but theyíve been on a while and never made any noise.

Any other suggestions or ideas? Thanks in advance.

2001 GTV Twin Spark - Aerokit, teledials, Ragazzon quads, MTEC discs, DS Performance pads
2000 Spider Twin Spark - 17Ē multispokes, colour matched mirrors, OEM luggage rack, Ultra Racing strut brace, Fox quads, Zender fuel flap cover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 18 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Worcestershire
You've listed the most probable options. I'd say with the discs it could be a sticking/binding caliper that's just dragging on the disc now where it didn't before, causing your drone. One of my rears stuck last week and was squealing something awful, tapped it with the wooden handle of a hammer and it just freed it.
(Post Link) post #3 of 18 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Thanks... Iíll have a proper look tomorrow. Fingers crossed it can be fixed with a quick tap from a hammer.
(Post Link) post #4 of 18 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Powys

Member car:

P1Spider P3 GTV

When the wheel bearing went on my spider i couldn't work out which one it was by jacking up and spinning the wheels,they seemed fine and noise free.In the end i used a 12v cctv mic patched into the aux of a portable radio in a very Heath-Robinson manner and placed mic near each wheel in turn and drove around a bit til i found the culprit.It was offside rear,even though i was sure it was coming from the front before testing
(Post Link) post #5 of 18 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Many thanks... Iíll get it jacked up today and see what that reveals, failing that Iíll try some more in depth investigation. Is there any easy way of telling if a CV joint is on its way out?
(Post Link) post #6 of 18 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Worcestershire
CV is usually knocking at low speed on full lock if I remember correctly?
(Post Link) post #7 of 18 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

How I find out where the duff wheel bearing is ,I go rounda bend ,preferably long & when (if) the noise disappears thats the side. As you go around the corner all the weight is transfered & the slack is taken up so no noise momentarily...HTH?
(Post Link) post #8 of 18 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Thanks again for all the advice... had a play at work going forwards and backwards on full left and right hand down. No knocking. Tried some Ďspirited corningí on the way home from work, albeit hampered by getting stuck behind a tractor. No change in the sound. Jacked the car up and the first wheel I tried produced a sound when rotated by hand that was somewhere between a bag of spanners in a tumble drier and C-3PO banging one out in a tin bath. Just to be sure, I checked the other wheels and all good.

Any advice on changing a wheel bearing? Although I did check my MoT history and beginning of last year I had the other one done on the back at a local garage who did it for not much IIRC so I may give them a call.
(Post Link) post #9 of 18 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

County: Vale of Glamorgan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellytheroc View Post
Thanks again for all the advice... had a play at work going forwards and backwards on full left and right hand down. No knocking. Tried some Ďspirited corningí on the way home from work, albeit hampered by getting stuck behind a tractor. No change in the sound. Jacked the car up and the first wheel I tried produced a sound when rotated by hand that was somewhere between a bag of spanners in a tumble drier and C-3PO banging one out in a tin bath. Just to be sure, I checked the other wheels and all good.

Any advice on changing a wheel bearing? Although I did check my MoT history and beginning of last year I had the other one done on the back at a local garage who did it for not much IIRC so I may give them a call.
Rears are relatively simple, they are just bolt on, the fronts are pressed in so a bit trickier unless you have a press handy.
(Post Link) post #10 of 18 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshsteve View Post
Rears are relatively simple, they are just bolt on, the fronts are pressed in so a bit trickier unless you have a press handy.
Cheers Steve... didnít realise it was that straightforward. Just watched a real time video on YouTube where the geezer changed one in 5 mins.
AO Member

Quote:
Cheers Steve... didnít realise it was that straightforward. Just watched a real time video on YouTube where the geezer changed one in 5 mins.
Not that scary is it, I take it your noisy one is a rear?
(Post Link) post #12 of 18 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Not that scary is it, I take it your noisy one is a rear?
Yeah... back right. Any recommendations for what bearings to use. I think I got a SKF fitted last one I needed. Annoying thing is about a year ago someone was selling 2 brand new Alfa ones on eBay for about £50 and I thought about buying them Ďjust in caseí but never did.
AO Member

Quote:
Yeah... back right. Any recommendations for what bearings to use. I think I got a SKF fitted last one I needed. Annoying thing is about a year ago someone was selling 2 brand new Alfa ones on eBay for about £50 and I thought about buying them Ďjust in caseí but never did.
Skf are a good buy, that's what I would use. I always miss the 'just in case' bargains too!
(Post Link) post #14 of 18 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Skf are a good buy, that's what I would use. I always miss the 'just in case' bargains too!
SKF bearing ordered... took the wheel off today and thereís nothing rubbing and the noise is definitely coming from the bearing. Funny how you never need the parts you buy Ďjust in caseí but always need the bits you donít buy.

Thanks all for the help.
Welshsteve and Hobson284 like this.
AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire

Strangely Iíve just been watching this it might be of some use 👍
(Post Link) post #16 of 18 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cowboy View Post
https://youtu.be/7Pp57MMvsws

Strangely Iíve just been watching this it might be of some use 👍
Thatís the one I watched and itís very useful.
AO Member

County: Wiltshire-
Garage
I've had a very similar problem with what sounds exactly like worn wheel bearings. For me (after a lot of expense replacing wheel bearings), the noise persisted. It eventually turned out to be road noise from the tyres themselves. Once I changed the tyres the noise vanished.
(Post Link) post #18 of 18 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
New wheel bearing fitted and noise gone... happy days. Thanks all for the advice, much appreciated. Took less than an hour from start to finish including a test drive.
Welshsteve, roony and Hobson284 like this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
noise , strange

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page