Fuel Relay Location PH1 Spider - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Wiltshire
Fuel Relay Location PH1 Spider

After storing my spider for the last 3 years I now have to move the alfa to a new location. The problem I find myself in is that I have to move it by this weekend as the property has been sold.

I find that it will not start and have traced it to no 12v power to the fuel pump (pump replaced before storage) I assume that there is a fuel relay that powers the pump when the ignition is turned on .
Can anyone give me some guidance where it is located . It is a very early spider registered in 1996
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 15 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
In the boot behind the trim next to the battery.
(Post Link) post #3 of 15 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for the reply ..any idea which one of the relays in the boot there is a cluster of them
(Post Link) post #4 of 15 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Silver Member

Not sure without looking it up. Use Totally Alfa's new website (and very good it is too) to see all the workshop manuals. If the link doesn't take you there, the dos loads are right at the bottom of the page. There's a lot of then so you'll have to trawl through them!

https://www.totallyalfa.com/downloads/
(Post Link) post #5 of 15 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for the link , what a minefield of information to trawl through
(Post Link) post #6 of 15 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Silver Member

I have a complete set of printed workshop manuals that I bought at the same time as I bought my GTV in 2001. Unfortunately they are in the little bedroom, at the back, and the room is full of stuff that's been cleared from the living room pending a new carpet in the next few days. However, as I believe it is easier to rummage through the printed version and not the PDF version I ventured into the bedroom and dug out the manual.
Contrary to what I believed it appears that the relay, S12a, is located under the bonnet. In the TS it is on the RHS under the cover and in the V6 on the fire-wall behind the engine. The only pictures I could find showed it as third one along out of four, but counting from which end? It is a Motronic 30 amp relay and has a black base. Yours being a phase 1 may mean it is different so the usual caveat.
(Post Link) post #7 of 15 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

thanks Armoore for your comments. I have found the third relay of the bank of 4 on the bulkhead not to have 12v present on pin 30 the live feed to the relay . What is strange according to a wiring diagram (not sure if it correct) shows all four feeds to the bank of relays from a common source. with no voltage present only one relay I could assume there is an in line fuse . I have continuity checked all four fuses on the bank of relays and all read Ok.

Perhaps I should try to find correct wirring diagram. or tell me if there is a finline fuse and where it is located ?

Anyone else had this problem
(Post Link) post #8 of 15 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Silver Member

So here's what I can see in one of the diagrams for the GTV V6 with Motronic M3.7:-

Pin 30 red wire with separate inline fuse S47. Goes to a connector with 7 other red wires.
Pin 87 pink and white wire. Goes to fuel pump and then through that to inertial switch via a bla wir ( you have checked that i suppose).
Pin 86 grey black wire. Goes to pin 1 on the Motronic control unit.
Pin 85 red and black wire. Goes to main relay.

So you need to find where 10 amp fuse S47 is. I'll have a look too.

It is in the red fuse holder next to the relay S41 (brown fuse holder) in the picture. But that is shown under the wing cover, not on the bulkhead!

As you can see it all gets a bit complicated, the sections you need to find in the manuals as there are a number of different Motronic systems used.

Motronic M3.7.1 has pin 87 wire as pink and yellow, only 5 red wires going into a connector.

Last edited by armoore; 1 Week Ago at 15:24.
(Post Link) post #9 of 15 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

thanks for your reply. had another poke around and found a 10A fuse on one the relays but that is sound, with a voltage in and out. Adjoining the relay I believe to be for fuel pump feed has fuse rated at 30A it reads Ok and I can measure 12v on one end. But with limited access with my probe I cannot get any reading on the other end trying from underneath . I will have a further attempt tomorrow with a better probe to see if its my problem of a poor connection and check for continuity to pin 30 of the relay . One lives in hope.
Thank you very much for your detailed help with this problem much appreciated.
AO Silver Member

Let me know how you get on, fingers crossed!
(Post Link) post #11 of 15 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi armoore
got myself into a mess with my reply to you . After having a further investigation I find the 30A fuse I mentioned reads OK now i got the probes to contact the wire.Went back to the 10A fuse and that has no voltage either side of it ( Must measured the wrong fuse yesterday). Did a continuity check from pin 30 relay to base of fuse that was OK checked continuity to other side fuse still read OK So I am assuming this is fuse S47.
The colour coding of the wire from S47 is pink white and Pin 30 is Red both wires disappear into the loom in the bulkhead. Is it likely there is a connector somewhere in the bulkhead that might combine the wiring. It would be nice to get a diagram that will show the connectors . otherwise its a major strip out which I cannot do at the place it is stored

I would like a wiring diagram that shows the correct wire colour coding that could match my old spider or is this to much. I have got a pdf file access but cannot find a diagram to match

Last edited by Romek; 1 Week Ago at 13:33.
AO Silver Member

A fused pink/White wire in one diagram is connected to pin 87. It goes to fuel pump but changes to pink yellow on the way.
(Post Link) post #13 of 15 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

I had chased the change in colour wires from pin87 to the fuel pump and that is ok for continuity. What is odd if i disconnect the plug at the pump and remove relay and measure pin 87 to earth it reads 4ohms I would have expected it to be open circuit or a very high reading in Megohms .There should not be a return path to earth anywhere on this line.
Also cannot understand why no 12v on pin30 with the fuse and cabling reading Ok.
The feed to the fuse disappears into the loom. I want to explore my options before i go down that route.... Any comments would be appreciated
AO Silver Member

On one of the diagrams that wire (pink/white) as well as going to the pump has a branch going to a lambda sensor and one other component, without looking it up I cannot remember which one though.

The manuals on the Totally Alfa site show all the wiring diagrams and have fault finding flow charts. See if you can find out which Motronic unit you have and see which diagrams go with that. There are a few! The sections you need to see are 55 29a onwards in each of the parts, mostly the part 3s. You'll see what I mean.

Last edited by armoore; 1 Week Ago at 21:15.
(Post Link) post #15 of 15 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks managed to locate a Motronic M2 10.3 Diagram that is for my model. With that in hand isolated the fault to a break in the wire feed to pin 30 . The cabling disappears into the loom in the bulkhead . Unfortunately my cable tracker (tone generator ) is to poor quality to isolate the area of the break in the loom. That is a job to investigate at my home garage . It might be worth asking on the website if anyone else had this problem with the loom.

Thanks very much for your help armoore it is appreciated

Oh if anyone was reading this thread the relay is the third one of the bank of four on the firewall

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
fuel , location , ph1 , relay , spider

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page