Fuel smell in cabin.... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

2001 2.0 TS GTV

Fuel smell in cabin....

hi folks, for some time now I have had the dreaded intermittent fuel smell in cabin, and have been putting off fixing it - until now.... - I've not determined any cause for it as yet, and it seems to be more noticable when i get into the car on a hot day (odd...) maybe some fuel venting issue caused by pressure build up due to heat ?

I have removed all rear seats and trim to see if i can identify cause. I've seen numerous posts and I get this is a known issue but I've not read a definitive root cause....I took a couple of pics. on the first, the green seal seems a little off, what is this part for and why is it not sealed ? could this be the cause ?

The second pic is the fuel sender unit i couldnt see any leaks around it. anyone know any other areas i should check and is there a colour stain or some way i could look for leaks ? thanks for any tips in advance....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e+U%aNJ2RWye3oiY8fRDJg.jpg (88.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg tB1XrX2dTvGYqsjeGSKH4g.jpg (79.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg PuI6xv4GRCSPDpRvYj6GOA.jpg (70.8 KB, 34 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
It is part of the fuel vapour recovery system and is the vapour separator. So my hunch is that displaced seal is responsible for your fuel smell.
(Post Link) post #3 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Powys

Member car:

P1Spider P3 GTV

If you can smell it in the cabin of a GTV the boot must reek of petrol.The usual suspect is the seal on the large white cap in pic 3 (there are what look like moist stains on the inside lip),but try re-seating the green seal you mentioned 1st and see if that works -it looks easier to get at
(Post Link) post #4 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

2001 2.0 TS GTV

thanks both, I will have a go in a couple of weekends as I'm away this coming week and will see if it fixes the problem.
(Post Link) post #5 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Norfolk
Garage
I had the same problem in my Spider. Fixed it with these...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Rome...cAAOSwj61cYusv
(Post Link) post #6 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Limburg
And if you only smell fuel when the engine is cold, then perhaps the fuel lines are loose where they attach to the fuel rail. When cold, the fuel pressure is double what it is once the engine is up to temp.
(Post Link) post #7 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

2001 2.0 TS GTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Faromeo View Post
And if you only smell fuel when the engine is cold, then perhaps the fuel lines are loose where they attach to the fuel rail. When cold, the fuel pressure is double what it is once the engine is up to temp.
the smell is definitely coming into the cabin from rear around fuel vapor recovery or fuel sender area. Engine bay fuel lines look good. I'll reseat the rubber seal first and then look at sender and fuel lines next. If anyone has a pic or can take a pic of their fuel vapor recovery canister and the rubber seal will help me to see if there's any difference with mine... thanks
(Post Link) post #8 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz70 View Post
the smell is definitely coming into the cabin from rear around fuel vapor recovery or fuel sender area. Engine bay fuel lines look good. I'll reseat the rubber seal first and then look at sender and fuel lines next. If anyone has a pic or can take a pic of their fuel vapor recovery canister and the rubber seal will help me to see if there's any difference with mine... thanks
When I had the smell of fuel entering the cabin in 2014 it turned out to be the large rubber seal for the fuel pump. This is located to the rear of the seats as the fuel tank is located just below. When the old seal was removed it looked as though the rubber was perishing, the new seal did the job and has been fine since.

Example of thread on this topic:

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...-in-cabin.html (Gtv Petrol Smell In Cabin)
(Post Link) post #9 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

2001 2.0 TS GTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider95 View Post
When I had the smell of fuel entering the cabin in 2014 it turned out to be the large rubber seal for the fuel pump. This is located to the rear of the seats as the fuel tank is located just below. When the old seal was removed it looked as though the rubber was perishing, the new seal did the job and has been fine since.

Example of thread on this topic:

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...-in-cabin.html (Gtv Petrol Smell In Cabin)
thanks, i did read that thread. If i take out the fuel pump will any of the plastic surround break, requiring new pump ? I recall reading that somewhere? I'd be inclined just for piece of mind to replace the seal anyway just to eliminate it from potential causes.

Last edited by Baz70; 4 Weeks Ago at 22:48.
(Post Link) post #10 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz70 View Post
thanks, i did read that thread. If i take out the fuel pump will any of the plastic surround break, requiring new pump ? I recall reading that somewhere? I'd be inclined just for piece of mind to replace the seal anyway just to eliminate it from potential causes.
I didn't have any problems removing the fuel pump, I think from memory it screws into place rather than pulling it out. It was a bit stiff on removal but gentle tapping sorted it.

I was also surprised at the amount of grit and debris in the protective gauze around the pump. So it's a good opportunity to give the fuel pump a clean as well.
(Post Link) post #11 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Essex
Garage

Member car:

GT / 156 / GTV

I used to get a smell of petrol in my 156. Not all the time, it used to come and go and eventually I found it to be the low pressure fuel pump leaking. Not sure how well you can see it in the photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1142.JPG (81.2 KB, 4 views)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
cabin , fuel , smell

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page