Retro fitting spring load brake compensator - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By lech

(Post Link) post #1 of 20 Old 12-05-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -Worcestershire

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0 24V

Retro fitting spring load brake compensator

In the absence of later version of brake compensators, I'm considering retro fitting an early spring load brake compensator. I need information with regards to the spring and where it attaches to. I've looked at the GTV manual and the diagram shows the spring going straight into the subframe, is this right? The only springs available that I've found are those for the Fiat coupe, are these any good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Podlaskie

Member car:

Gtv 2.0 v6 tb

http://www.squadra916.com/forums/top...tioning-valve/ Why do you want to exchange it? There is nothing to break in them. Returning to the old type does not make sense. Compare the thickness of the springs.
(Post Link) post #3 of 20 Old 13-05-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0 24V

Quote:
Originally Posted by lech View Post
http://www.squadra916.com/forums/top...tioning-valve/ Why do you want to exchange it? There is nothing to break in them. Returning to the old type does not make sense. Compare the thickness of the springs.
Let me point out that the compensator has been removed from my car because it was leaking from the pistons, see picture below. The reason why I want to retro fit the old type is because I cannot find a same type replacement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brakeCompensator2.jpg (81.7 KB, 10 views)
AO Member

County: Lancashire
I wonder if a brake refurbishment company could refurbish them maybe the springs in the mechanism are weak or the seals need replacing. I have these photos from another post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brake-proportioning-valve-01.jpg (45.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Brake-proportioning-valve-03.jpg (56.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Brake-proportioning-valve-02.jpg (58.7 KB, 8 views)
(Post Link) post #5 of 20 Old 13-05-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0 24V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_Bravo View Post
I wonder if a brake refurbishment company could refurbish them maybe the springs in the mechanism are weak or the seals need replacing. I have these photos from another post.
I took the one above off around three years ago, and threw it away! Got the car through two MOTs without it, but last week it failed on missing brake load sensing valve, hence need to find a replacement. Given that they are so hard to find even a bad used one, the easier option would be to retro fit the earlier type with the spring.
AO Member

County: Podlaskie

Member car:

Gtv 2.0 v6 tb

The first version of the brake corrector. This hole was not later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 57b4c3c8471f90149982f23d2dcc.jpg (146.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg alfa-romeo-gtv-lawa-zawieszenia-tyl-tylna-vat-4342333697.jpg (97.8 KB, 35 views)
wal5 and Adrian_Bravo like this.

Last edited by lech; 15-05-19 at 18:37.
(Post Link) post #7 of 20 Old 15-05-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0 24V

Quote:
Originally Posted by lech View Post
The first version of the brake corrector. This hole was not later.
Thanks for uploading these photos. I can see the hole where the spring passes through the subframe - just my luck that hole is missing on my subframe. I wonder if it can pass underneath that subframe section and attached to a shorter modified arm on the ARB? Obviously I realize that a shorter arm on the ARB will pull the arm on the compensator less and maybe not cut off much flow through the compensator, making it almost ineffective. I don't have a problem with this because I been running without a compensator for over two years without any issues, the ABS does the work. It's just to get it through the MOT.
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset
We had a later subframe fitted to my Son’s early P1 Spider, my local Indi simply drilled a hole to fit the original load balancer 😉
AO Silver Member

County: Norfolk
Garage
Given that an MoT tester canít start taking things apart to investigate it, could you put some sort of undertray or guard over where it should be and leave it as it is?
(Post Link) post #10 of 20 Old 16-05-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0 24V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_wookey View Post
We had a later subframe fitted to my Sonís early P1 Spider, my local Indi simply drilled a hole to fit the original load balancer 😉
That might be the best way of going about it, just need to find a spring that will work.
(Post Link) post #11 of 20 Old 16-05-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0 24V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellytheroc View Post
Given that an MoT tester canít start taking things apart to investigate it, could you put some sort of undertray or guard over where it should be and leave it as it is?
Good idea, but it might be difficult because the exhaust back box hanger is right next to it.
(Post Link) post #12 of 20 Old 16-05-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0 24V

Any thoughts on fitting one of these in-line compensators (as used on Ford Mondeo) on each of the brake lines?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TRW_inline_compensator.jpg (6.7 KB, 5 views)
AO Member

County: Glasgow
You could try telling them that you removed the compensator valve 'cause you swapped the ABS unit to the later type that handles the brake force distribution internally.
(Post Link) post #14 of 20 Old 17-05-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0 24V

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamL View Post
You could try telling them that you removed the compensator valve 'cause you swapped the ABS unit to the later type that handles the brake force distribution internally.
I'm seriously considering doing that, got a few other jobs to do for the MOT, once those are done, I'll take it to a different garage, explain that it has an upgraded ABS unit and try getting it through without the compensator.
AO Silver Member

County: Bristol
I've not had one fitted for several years and never felt any difference even driving in snow. Take it somewhere else.
(Post Link) post #16 of 20 Old 08-06-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0 24V

I've managed to source a second hand ph2 compensator, problem solved. Before fitting it, I gave it a good flush through with fluid using male unions, a short flared brake line, silicone tube and a 60ml siringe. Can't believe the fine black gritty stuff that came out of the one channel, no wonder they blocked up!
AO Member

County: -
Discussed this very subject with a pal who is an MOT inspector, he suggested just take the gubbins out of it (is that possible?) then let ABS deal with any issues though from what I've read rear brakes are so poor it's unlikely to kick in anyway.

Another MOT brake test tip is drop front pressures to say 20psi inflate rears to 50psi the submit for testing, has the effect of encouraging lock up at front and discouraging same at rear giving a better f-r balance it seems, don't understand that fully myself tbh
(Post Link) post #18 of 20 Old 12-06-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0 24V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimmymike View Post
Discussed this very subject with a pal who is an MOT inspector, he suggested just take the gubbins out of it (is that possible?) then let ABS deal with any issues though from what I've read rear brakes are so poor it's unlikely to kick in anyway.
If it were possible to remove the internal valves and seal it up so that it would not leak, I would definitely do it.
(Post Link) post #19 of 20 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Bristol
I've taken one apart it was tricky to get the circlips out though. You could weld up the holes or tap them and put bolts and brass washers in. Easier just to make new brake lines and do away with it altogether. Never had a problem at the mot.
(Post Link) post #20 of 20 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0 24V

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdanny View Post
Easier just to make new brake lines and do away with it altogether. Never had a problem at the mot.
Unfortunately, I now have a missing compensator on the car's MOT history, so it needs to be in place. I've just managed to get it through the MOT, so I'm OK for a bit.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
brake , compensator , fitting , load , retro , spring

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page