Alfa keys to fit 916 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rich_wookey
  • 1 Post By Rich_wookey

(Post Link) post #1 of 23 Old 21-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset
Alfa keys to fit 916

An eBay seller has 10x genuine keys for 156, the blade also fits Spider & GTV

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F283419016011

I assume after cutting they can be programmed to the immobiliser using the master key - can anyone confirm that these keys can be programmed using this method?

If I can get others to commit to buy 1 or 2 or more from me for cost price, free postage to UK, then I’ll buy the 10

Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Vale of Glamorgan
If it does work Rich I would buy two off you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_wookey View Post
An eBay seller has 10x genuine keys for 156, the blade also fits Spider & GTV

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F283419016011

I assume after cutting they can be programmed to the immobiliser using the master key - can anyone confirm that these keys can be programmed using this method?

If I can get others to commit to buy 1 or 2 or more from me for cost price, free postage to UK, then Iíll buy the 10

Rich
AO Silver Member

County: Essex
Iíll take two.
AO Silver Member

Iíll take two.
AO Member

Garage
The theory is there, however when I tried this previously (with a Nissan key) the companies I approached wouldn't program a key not supplied by them. Does anybody have someone that will do the work?
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands
Garage
I know Timpson`s will not program a key blade that is not supplied by them selves
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Last time I did this the " Keyman " on his stall in the local market was happy to do this, a tenner each iirc.
(Post Link) post #8 of 23 Old 23-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faffer View Post
The theory is there, however when I tried this previously (with a Nissan key) the companies I approached wouldn't program a key not supplied by them. Does anybody have someone that will do the work?
My theory is that you don't need someone else to register the new key with your immobiliser, there is a sequence using the brown master key to add new keys to the immobiliser:

1st switch on with the master key to MAR and then off, remove master key and place away from the ignition switch

Then program the new and old keys one by one by using each to switch on/off
(within 10 seconds)

But, I guess only if the new key has some sort of code in it, if its a virgin key, then I don't know if the above will work
(Post Link) post #9 of 23 Old 23-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradpit999 View Post
I know Timpson`s will not program a key blade that is not supplied by them selves
Try a different branch, I got them to clone a chip that I supplied
AO Silver Member

I'm pretty sure the local locksmith in Ware will do these. I'm happy to take a gamble, and won't complain if it doesn't work!
(Post Link) post #11 of 23 Old 24-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Thanks for the interest in having a key or two

The 156 forum says these are not 156 keys, so I'm going to investigate if the transponder quoted will work with the 916 code system and if its is virgin or can be reprogrammed, in which case we will have to get a locksmith/ Timsons to programme it, if its not reprogrammable, then my theory may work

The seller sells them singly, so I may wager some dosh to see if I can get one working

Watch this space

Rich
AO Member

Garage
I posed the question to a guy in a key cutting shop today, he would cut my own key and if his machine can read an old Alfa key he would do the cloning/coding as well all for the princely sum of £10. So there is hope, not that I plan on being in Liverpool again anytime soon.
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Quote:
My theory is that you don't need someone else to register the new key with your immobiliser, there is a sequence using the brown master key to add new keys to the immobiliser:

1st switch on with the master key to MAR and then off, remove master key and place away from the ignition switch

Then program the new and old keys one by one by using each to switch on/off
(within 10 seconds)

But, I guess only if the new key has some sort of code in it, if its a virgin key, then I don't know if the above will work
Can you still program new keys if you don't have the brown master key? I've had a couple of keys cut as per the 'key card', which I do have - but I don't have the master key just an original red one and the two new ones that have been cut. What to do? Thanks.
AO Member

Member car:

U8 GTV 24v

Id have one or two as well Rich. can never have too many keys.

Always preferred the style of the all red 'valet key' personally rather than the stick on gel logo
(Post Link) post #15 of 23 Old 16-05-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Sorry guys, I've done nothing about this, I'll have another look at the weekend
Welshsteve likes this.
AO Silver Member

I bit the bullet and ordered a single key, which arrived yesterday in a jiffy bag with some very colourful polish stamps.

It looks fine, the blade has the same code as my key, B365.

However, I took it to the key place in Ware and the guy couldn't clone it.

Apparently the chip is the same type in both keys, and he could read and copy the code on the original but when he tried to write the code to the new key it threw up an error message.
He then checked to see if anything had written to the new one, despite the error message, and found that there was a code but a very different one to the original key. It appears that the new key was already coded with something and the chip is a single write one only - he couldn't erase or over-write it.

This locksmith does have blank chips of the correct type and he would replace the one in the new key if we could get it open. It does look pretty well sealed closed, though, and I think it would wreck the key if I try to open it.

I will contact the vendor to see what he/she suggests.

Nick
Red Spider S4 LHD manual 1990, Silver 916 V6 Spider, Suzuki T20 Super Six
(Post Link) post #17 of 23 Old 23-05-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglospider View Post
I bit the bullet and ordered a single key, which arrived yesterday in a jiffy bag with some very colourful polish stamps.

It looks fine, the blade has the same code as my key, B365.

However, I took it to the key place in Ware and the guy couldn't clone it.

Apparently the chip is the same type in both keys, and he could read and copy the code on the original but when he tried to write the code to the new key it threw up an error message.
He then checked to see if anything had written to the new one, despite the error message, and found that there was a code but a very different one to the original key. It appears that the new key was already coded with something and the chip is a single write one only - he couldn't erase or over-write it.

This locksmith does have blank chips of the correct type and he would replace the one in the new key if we could get it open. It does look pretty well sealed closed, though, and I think it would wreck the key if I try to open it.

I will contact the vendor to see what he/she suggests.
Thanks for the info Anglospider, did you get the key cut? If not I’d be willing to buy it from you.

I have the original brown key, so I’ll see if I can program the new key into the immobiliser

Rich
AO Member

Can you still program new keys if you don't have the brown master key? I've had a couple of keys cut as per the 'key card', which I do have - but I don't have the master key just an original red one and the two new ones that have been cut. What to do? Thanks.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the info Anglospider, did you get the key cut? If not Iíd be willing to buy it from you.

I have the original brown key, so Iíll see if I can program the new key into the immobiliser

Rich
Is there a limit to the amount of keys that can be "active" at any one time when programmed?.
ie You could program multiple keys but the car will only handle/recognise say four at any one time. As opposed to cloning, where presumably the car thinks it is the same key.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info Anglospider, did you get the key cut? If not Iíd be willing to buy it from you.

I have the original brown key, so Iíll see if I can program the new key into the immobiliser
Hi Rich, no I didn't have it cut. I do have a brown master key too, but didn't know that you could programme a different key number into the system with it.
I have contacted the vendor and will wait to see what he/she says but if I am not offered a refund or alternative replacement then you would be very welcome to try it.
Nick
(Post Link) post #21 of 23 Old 24-05-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by general_piffle View Post
I only know the process to add a key using the brown key

I'm guessing that those companies that provide professional key cutting services can also add a key to the immobiliser without a master key

The other method is to "virginise" the immobiliser and main ECU, so the next key used become the master key, but I don't know how thats done

This is the procedure to register new keys into the immobiliser using the brown master key:

1. Put master key into ignition and turn to MAR (do not start car), wait until code light goes out, remove key (place some distance away, e.g. on floor, outside car - to ensure the immobiliser chip does not pick up that key again)
2. Within 10 seconds insert new key and turn to MAR, wait until code light goes out, remove key (place some distance away)
3. Repeat 2. for further new keys
4. Repeat 1

For Step 3, I re-registered the old red keys as well

I'm told that the immobiliser ECU can take 8 keys

Rich
general_piffle likes this.
AO Member

Thanks Rich. Very helpful.
AO Member

County: -
Hope someone can help?i tried steps 1 to 4,on step 4 when you replace the master key the key code light doesnít go out?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
916 , alfa , fit , keys

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page