Big window spring - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By mas430
  • 1 Post By roblatt

(Post Link) post #1 of 20 Old 18-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Big window spring

Bit of a puzzler.
I had a problem with the window adjustments and some of the teeth had burred over, I've managed to file them & it all works ok...But the big flat clock type spring not only pops off but when the regulator is working the spindle that the spring locates into pushes itself out of the housing & makes the spring come off?

Also I can see that the cam for the drop down would activate too soon as it is.
I followed the manual , put the serrated runners that guide the glass finger tight ,& the same for the two plastic clamps that fix the glass to the regulator ,close the door move the glass to fit against rubbers etc,leave the door closed & climb across from the passenger side &nip everything up...piannnnggg out pushes the spindle/spring
Anyone had this before ?
ps:One last thing,is there meant to be a circlip or retaing clip onto the split shaft?

Last edited by mas430; 18-04-19 at 17:27.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 20 Old 19-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Any one have any experience with these??

Any help much appreciated!
AO Silver Member

County: Powys

Member car:

P1Spider P3 GTV

Have a passenger side one here to look at and cant see anything holding the spring to the spindle -looks the same as yours,with just the the long end of the spring held in by the lug on top of the piece of metal it attachs to.Has the spindle itself come a bit loose?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

P1Spider P3 GTV

Are the 3 teflon (i pressume) pads in place on the toothed arm? 2underneath,1 on the drive cog housing.Would allow some wobble if these were missing

edit: can see the white bits that hold the pads in the photos,so prob not this,unless just the pad bit has come off

Last edited by JRow; 19-04-19 at 10:32.
AO Member

Member car:

Spider 2000

I've just rebuilt my drivers door mechanism this week, and I found that the central spigot that holds the spring is very solid and looks like it's pressed into the arm. If it wobbles then it will tip the spring out.
(Post Link) post #6 of 20 Old 19-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hey thanks guys for your help. I have no idea what the teflon pads are JRow?

Rod, my mechanism must be buggered as when I take the spring off it literally falls apart. I thought that a cirlip had fallen off but now it seems that's not the case? I shall have to try & find a press type clip , come to think of it, there is no groove for a cirlip...

Last edited by mas430; 19-04-19 at 19:12.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

P1Spider P3 GTV

I think thats knackered.
The red arrowed bit that looks like a washer around the grooved shaft in my photo is what holds the two pieces together. It isn't a washer though,it is part of the casting of the groved shaft,yours has disintegrated at some time by the looks of things
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190419_232515837.jpg (53.6 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by JRow; 19-04-19 at 22:52.
AO Member

County: Good Old Sussex by the Sea
Had to replace my regulator as it had sheared there.
(Post Link) post #9 of 20 Old 20-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks guys , I have an idea I will try ,probably futile but I have to try. I will weld into the groove where the spring is held at the top & spot weld on the small post on the other end,I thought of a Snap ring washer but I think the force is to much for that. I have to figure out if when assembled do I have to have to teeth on the quadrant fully to one end ie fully up or 3/4 ?
Nothing to lose as its cream crackered anyway !
(Post Link) post #10 of 20 Old 21-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas430 View Post
Thanks guys , I have an idea I will try ,probably futile but I have to try. I will weld into the groove where the spring is held at the top & spot weld on the small post on the other end,I thought of a Snap ring washer but I think the force is to much for that. I have to figure out if when assembled do I have to have to teeth on the quadrant fully to one end ie fully up or 3/4 ?
Nothing to lose as its cream crackered anyway !
YAY!!
Its systems go, welded the spring tab that sits in the groove .
After "much" fiddling withe adjustment & the drop-cam its all working, seals tight but still have 2 clicks when it's at the top of its travel . Ran out of time family etc but think something to do with top adjustment ?
Thanks all you guys for the help
anglospider likes this.
(Post Link) post #11 of 20 Old 19-05-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

OK ,that was short lived, the teeth started jumping again so I took it apart & I think its an alignment problem. Under & sandwiched between the two scissor type arms is a flat washer, I think its part a large rivet that joins to the underside where the spring sits & holds it all together, well this was missing & causing it to run out of true at the end of the travel at the top & causing the teeth to Jump/Burr etc. So I have bit the bullet & am waiting for a new one to reach me, with this sort though, as its aftermarket ,the lower rail pivot joint has to be riveted in place, not sure what size rivet though?

Apart from that I am happy with car as yesterday she sailed through an Mot with no advisories after I fitted a new horn.
(Post Link) post #12 of 20 Old 30-05-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

This arrived today, no spring needed as apparently they are more powerful motors.. well we'll see...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190530_192042.jpg (39.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190530_192027.jpg (59.2 KB, 6 views)
(Post Link) post #13 of 20 Old 01-06-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Well I think the guy on the photos was talking baloney regarding the spring
etc. I unwrapped it & there's provision for a spring, which was a bit of a pain as I welded mine to the original regulator. So bit of fettling & it's on the new regulator.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190601_115326.jpg (180.5 KB, 13 views)
(Post Link) post #14 of 20 Old 06-06-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Ok ,so all went back in nicely but have a snag that's got me stumped
When you put the window up or let it auto up, it drops.back the 4mm nicely so you can close it,
but when you open it from inside or out it does not drop ?
Pointers greatly appreciated.
(Post Link) post #15 of 20 Old 08-06-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi guys , can anyone help with this autodrop thing please ?

I dont want to put the door card back on with it this way as it will have to come off again & TBH the card (To me) is the worst part...after adjusting the glass
(Post Link) post #16 of 20 Old 10-06-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Well, went out to have a look at the old thing to get to the bottom of this Auto-drop problem.
I haven't bothered yesterday as we had some really heavy rainfall , so I was thinking its all going to be damp/wet & will make matters worse. So to my amazement it seems as though David Nixon has visited...its all working perfectly ?!
AO Silver Member

County: Essex
That's good to hear. Maybe a cycle of locking and unlocking the car reset the controls?

WRT the door card, Neal Hankinson, who has helped a lot with my car and knows the 916 inside out, does them very slickly. He unscrews the door lock button at the top, almost completely, so that it stands as proud as it can without coming off. It can then act as a guide to the correct card position.
He then lines up the card visually so that the "mushrooms" are lined up to where they should fit, before pressing gently but firmly with his leg in the middle and hands either side to spread the pressure across the whole card whilst moving the card vertically to slip over the mushrooms. It then pops on seemingly pretty easily!

Nick
Red Spider S4 LHD manual 1990, Silver 916 V6 Spider, Suzuki T20 Super Six
(Post Link) post #18 of 20 Old 11-06-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hmm I find the large wooden child jigsaws a problem so can't see this being much fun...
AO Member

County: Victoria

Member car:

98 ts spider

Mine is a 1998 TS spider, series 1.

I recently had the problem described above with the window motor clicking at the top of the travel. The teeth were worn and the window wouldn't go all the way up.

After trying to locate another mechanism, I got annoyed at the cost of used and new parts so I repaired the old one. It was easy, once the worn teeth are identified, I added a bit of weld to the teeth and then used my trusty dremmel to grind them into shape.

The result is a perfectly functioning window winder.

I hope this helps others.

regards

Robert
mas430 likes this.
(Post Link) post #20 of 20 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Mines back together & all is well.
The problem was caused by "Play"(general wear) in the mechanism which threw the line of sweep out & put pressure onto the teeth at a wrong angle, I found that there is a alloy washer that act as a spacer between the 2 arms & mine had disintegrated.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
big , spring , window

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page