Alfa Romeo Spider 916 Electronic Hood - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By wilywalt

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 04-07-18 Thread Starter

County: Dorset
Cool Alfa Romeo Spider 916 Electronic Hood

Hi All,

I currently use Multiecuscan 4.0 with the green and red leads to generally interrogate the system and more to reset airbag as this is failure for mot's.

However i now have a problem with the electronic hood, flashing light for 10 seconds when starting and then no response.

The hood can be closed manually using the electronic buttons behind the seat for the release and opening of box.

So thought i'd get the purple lead to diagnose the hood ecu, when switching on the ignition and then pressing 'Y' to start the diagnostic, the key code light on the dash almost comes on immediately, this i think bars the connection and results in not finding the ecu!

Has anyone had the same problem and if so did anyone find a way around it?

Many thanks

Wilywalt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: suffolk
Garage
have you tried the micro switch on the passengers side catch? Check that its not stuck
AO Silver Member

County: Norfolk
Garage
I have tried connecting the same way with no luck. I think the only way is to connect directly to the hood ECU with a 3 pin connector but I havenít tried this yet. I had a similar problem; nothing when I pressed the button but if I used the manual switches and lifted the back of the hood, it would start working. It would close up to the point when the back of the hood locks and stop again. The issue was solved by adjusting the length of the rear pins. One had about 4-5mm of thread showing, the other had none. 5 mins and a 17mm spanner and I adjusted one so they both had the same amount of thread showing. Seems to have done the trick.

The nut at the back was loose and the worm drive must have screwed the pin as far back into the frame as it would go. Iím guessing that it wasnít sticking in the hole enough to operate the second microswitch and tell the ECU that it was locked. Because it thought it wasnít locked it didnít continue with the cycle to close the hood. On opening because it thought one pin was locked and one wasnít it got confused and did nothing until I used the manual switches and it knew both were unlocked and could carry on.

2001 GTV Twin Spark - Aerokit, teledials, Ragazzon quads, MTEC discs, DS Performance pads
2000 Spider Twin Spark - 17Ē multispokes, colour matched mirrors, OEM luggage rack, Ultra Racing strut brace, Fox quads, Zender fuel flap cover
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk
I had so many hood problems over the years it would work 1 time in 20, lights flashed like yours on many occasions. I tried everything but gave up as using the manual buttons was easy enough. I still tried the auto switch every time just in case - but 1 in 20.

My alternator died so I had it replaced about 2 months ago

Once that was done the first time I tried the hood it worked (I always have the engine running when operating the hood). Since then it has worked EVERY time - seriously the weather has been so good that it has been up and down every day for the last two months without a hitch.

My point?

I am no mechanic but maybe, just maybe, it needs a full (rather than acceptable) output from the alternator to ensure satisfactory operation?

At the very least consider it may be an electrical rather than mechanical problem.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders
(Post Link) post #5 of 12 Old 07-04-19 Thread Starter

Cool Success! - And all due to a no thread - Electric Hood Microswitch

Hi NellytheRoc,

Well, all i can say is a 'Big Thank You' - You hit the nail on the head though in this case the threaded bolt!

Having spent a year with a roof that had become manual, it is now operating as it should be. What threw me was that one side of the rear pins (Drivers side) had a nut and the other side hasn't. looking further into this, these are self tightening threaded bolt/pins which don't really need a nut!

Sure as anything the bolt on the passengers side was not showing any thread, hence this was not catching the micro switch leaving the ECU in a state of not knowing whether the roof was closed or not!

In the process of fixing this i also renewed the hydraulic fluid with what i understand is the correct specification - ISO VG 22 - So now the roof is closing sweet!

Happy Driving once again! Whoa!
anglospider and Nellytheroc like this.
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilywalt View Post
Hi NellytheRoc,

Well, all i can say is a 'Big Thank You' - You hit the nail on the head though in this case the threaded bolt!

Happy Driving once again! Whoa!
Youíre welcome. Iíd have to open my own brewery to pay back all the people I owe a pint or two on here that have helped me with my cars. Glad I could help.
AO Member

County: nottinghamshire
Garage
could someone post a pic of these pins as this sounds like an issue i am having at the moment
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon1967 View Post
could someone post a pic of these pins as this sounds like an issue i am having at the moment
Itís the two pins that stick out under the rear window that lock into the top of the clamshell. There are two microswitches. One tells the ECU that the pin is in the hole and to start the motor to lock it in. The second microswitch operated when the pin is fully in the hole and locked. As a fail safe the motor stops after a set amount of time if the second switch hasnít been activated. If this happens, the ECU wonít start the next part of the closing cycle. Iíll take a pic tomorrow if you need it.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellytheroc View Post
Itís the two pins that stick out under the rear window that lock into the top of the clamshell. There are two microswitches. One tells the ECU that the pin is in the hole and to start the motor to lock it in. The second microswitch operated when the pin is fully in the hole and locked. As a fail safe the motor stops after a set amount of time if the second switch hasnít been activated. If this happens, the ECU wonít start the next part of the closing cycle. Iíll take a pic tomorrow if you need it.

yes please to a pic nelly makes it easier to understand for me (old n senile)
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon1967 View Post
yes please to a pic nelly makes it easier to understand for me (old n senile)
These are the pins and hole... one either side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 45E108A1-B2B3-4C7A-96E7-22A4B6BCDC71.jpg (28.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 7BFFDC0F-37AE-49EA-BEF2-F69DC18C4ADF.jpg (23.5 KB, 14 views)
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellytheroc View Post
These are the pins and hole... one either side.
cheers for that makes more sense to me now
(Post Link) post #12 of 12 Old 15-04-19 Thread Starter

The Pins quoted by NellyTheRoc were not the ones I was original referring to, so it might be the case that i got the original issue wrong (Doah!)

There is only the one micro switch I was referring to and this is on the Passenger Side and concerns the 5th Arc.

The following picture shows the threaded bolt that is tightened by use of a star-allen key and the ball-bearing micro switch.

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/atta...883947&thumb=1

The other picture is of the drivers side, where there is not micro switch and the bolt on the threaded nut that threw me!

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/atta...883949&thumb=1

Hopefully this makes more sense. Again is was the tigthing of the threaded bolt on the Passenger 5th arch that solved the issue. I can confirm that the hood has been working well ever since
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Passenger Side - 1b.jpg (106.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Drivers Side - 2a.jpg (96.8 KB, 19 views)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
916 , alfa , electronic , hood , romeo , spider

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page