30 - 130mph Day Again! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 91 Old 23-01-09 Thread Starter

Well Happy 30 - 130mph Day Again!

Ok, looking like we are going to be invited along to the 30 - 130mph Day courtesy of MLR and Trackmaster, numbers permitting!

This thread is to gauge interest/numbers to see whether the day can go ahead so please, only put your name down if you can definately go!

Date is 8th March from 7.30 til around 4.00 at RAF Marham, price is £95, you will get a minimum 4 runs (possibility more) and car will be weighed too, you also have the choice to go on and do a top speed run if you desire!

Reason for being strict is that everyone who enters this has to be vetted by Marham with it being an active air base!

Get the list going and we'll take it from there!

LIST

7 from rsowners club so far
20 from Subaru
GTROC invited
Focus ST invited
Golf GTi/R32 invited
Honda DC2

Main event details:
* Full 1.5mile runway
* VBox data recorded for all cars
* Cars can be corner weighted
* Starts at 9am and finishes at 4pm
* £95 per car
* Drivers must have full UK driving licence

Event Timetable:
* 07:30 - Gates open - register with RAF Security. You MUST bring Photo ID on the day
* 07:45 - Driver and Passenger Registration / Car number and wristband collection
* 08:30 - Drivers briefing (mandatory)
* 09:00 – Sighting lap
* 09:30 – Event start
* 12:30 – Lunchbreak
* 13:00 – Event restart
* 16:00 – Event close

On The Day:
We’ll use the full length of the 1.5 mile / 60m wide runway of super smooth tarmac. The event will be fully marshalled and include paramedic cover to ensure it runs safely. Food will be managed by the RAF who'll be based alongside the ’30-130 paddock’.

All cars will be fitted with a Racelogic V-Box in front of the MLR unit to record your car's performance. Cars will run one at a time and will have to start within a designated area for the run to count. Having completed a “30-130 run” all drivers will be able to go on to complete a top speed run if they want. It’s not compulsory but you may not have a better, safer and legal way to find out your car’s straight line performance. The next car will be released when car No.1 has passed the halfway mark on the runway.

Once the car has returned to the Paddock and the VBox removed, it can be driven onto the corner weights at the rear of the MLR unit to be weighed. Your 30-130 time and top speed result (if applicable) will be displayed at the MLR unit as soon as Dave has downloaded the data from your runs.

Helmets:

Helmets must be worn by all occupants - drivers and front seat passengers

Fire Extinguishers:
All cars must have a fire extinguisher fitted - preferably in an easy to reach place, eg: in front of the passenger seat. This will be checked on the day and any cars without extinguishers will not be allowed to run

Noise Limit:
Noise from motorsport has now become an issue at Marham, and although it’s understood that running a single car at 30-130 is not the same as running 20 cars together at a trackday, noise monitoring will take place on the day if required. Marham will be as lenient as possible but we are not allowed unsilenced exhaust systems or “excessively noisy” cars. The static noise limit is 105dBA (measured at ½ metre, 45 deg, ¾ revs)

Rear Spoilers:
For reasons of safety, cars must retain their rear spoilers and blade, unless fitted with a carbon bootlid or similar which does not allow for a rear spoiler

Passengers:
Only front seat passengers are allowed and must be 16 years old or over. There is no charge for passengers, but they must complete an indemnity form and wear a wristband

Litter:
It is ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL that no litter or cigarette ends are dropped at Marham anywhere other than a bin, as the smallest piece of litter risks destroying a Tornado engine. Failure to observe this simple rule seriously jeopardises us being invited back, so please use the bins provided (or your pockets!)

*** VERY IMPORTANT!***

SECURITY CLEARANCE:
Security at RAF Marham has the highest priority, so ALL DRIVERS, SPECTATORS & RESERVES NEED TO BE SECURITY CLEARED BEFORE BEING ALLOWED ON SITE

I MUST HAVE EVERYONE’S DETAILS to give the RAF Police enough time to get your security clearance before the day.
If you miss this deadline you will forfeit your place

The following details will be needed for vetting :
* Full Name
* Address
* Nationality
* Place of Birth
* Date of Birth
* Passport number (not essential but this will greatly speed up the process)
* Car make, model and registration being driven into RAF Marham (ie: send me details of your tow car if your FRS is trailered)

Spectators:
All spectators must come with drivers already booked in as we are only allowed a maximum of 60 cars onsite during the day. Please do not forget you need to be security cleared too, so please send me your details for Security clearance

Video Cameras:
All video cameras must be securely mounted internally via suction mounted or bolted to a rollcage. No hand held cameras are allowed.

Photography:
Cameras are permitted for personal use only, no professional or commercial photography is allowed

Rides:
30-130 wouldn’t happen without the help of the RAF volunteers who marshal and support the event – all of whom are petrolheads and would sell their sister (or brother) for the chance to own the cars attending the day. If you’re happy to give them a ride in your car please let me know as it would be good to give something back

Last but not least:

A huge thankyou to Peter and George and their respective teams at RAF Marham – and also the Station Commander - who continue to make this event possible.

Mods, if this could be left to hang around in this area that would be much appreciated as we need quite a quick response on this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -

Member car:

147 gta

Re: 30 - 130mph Day Again!

sounds good even just to spectate? where is raf mareham?? probably miles away from me!
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset

Member car:

156GTA & 33racer

Royal Air Force Marham
King's Lynn
Norfolk
PE33 9NP
Tel (01760) 337261

Would love to go and have a look, just watching would be good as you say but Bristol to Norfolk....... Nope.
AO Member

Member car:

147 gta

yeah .. carlisle to norfolk Nope....

would like to go to one of those events though im sure theres quite a few held at airfields.
AO Gold Member

County: North Yorkshire

sounds like a great day out but its a bit of a trek for me being in the north east so ill have to pass.
Enjoy.
(Post Link) post #6 of 91 Old 24-01-09 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamier27f1 View Post
would like to go to one of those events though im sure theres quite a few held at airfields.
Nope, this is the only one of it's kind held because it is so hard to get hold of venues to host it!
AO Member

Member car:

147 gta

oh right i have seen a few clips on you tube of when they are dragging loads of supercars and stuff along the straights of an airfied.... wonder if its the same venue
AO Silver Member

Member car:

VW

I'd have done it, except for the fact I need to have an extinguisher fitted - how many road cars have that?

Also...not sure how my unsilenced Supersprint will fare - don't want to pay £95 then get rejected...
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset

Member car:

156GTA & 33racer

Matty,

I don't think it is a plumbed in fire estinguisher, just one on a simple bracket fixed in the front foot well. Not difficult to do, even in a GTA.
(Post Link) post #10 of 91 Old 25-01-09 Thread Starter

Fire Extinguisher does not need to be plumbed in and you don't need to worry about DB, if an Evo can pass then most cars can!

Now less excuses and get your names down!
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB View Post
Also...not sure how my unsilenced Supersprint will fare - don't want to pay £95 then get rejected...

I don't think a Supersprint could out-decibel a Tornado at full reheat.

The concept of noise limits at a RAF base seems a strange one.

I've been at Marham a couple of times (GF's brother stationed there) and it gets pretty LOUD at times.

Seriously though can I pencil myself in for this... work permitting.
(Post Link) post #12 of 91 Old 25-01-09 Thread Starter

LIST

Dfens

AO Member

Garage

Wouldn't mind giving this a shot. Pretty close to the in-laws so have somewhere to stay...

Only things which concern me are:
  1. Insurance
  2. Wildlife
(Post Link) post #14 of 91 Old 25-01-09 Thread Starter

The day is fully covered by the MLR (liability insurance etc) and the wildlife that was a one off!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward View Post
Matty,

I don't think it is a plumbed in fire estinguisher, just one on a simple bracket fixed in the front foot well. Not difficult to do, even in a GTA.
Is it possible to do without drilling holes, etc? It'll be coming straight back out after the event...
(Post Link) post #16 of 91 Old 27-01-09 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB View Post
Is it possible to do without drilling holes, etc? It'll be coming straight back out after the event...

Most peole put it in the door card holder or rear seat pocket, just as long as you can get to it!
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire

Back on extinguishers: is there a minimum spec?

I already have a 1.5 Kg dry powder fitted (cos I am a safety geek at work and it rubs off...).

Is that enough?

I'll have a definite answer for you (workwise) in about a week.
(Post Link) post #18 of 91 Old 27-01-09 Thread Starter

Small normal extinguishers from the likes of Halfords is fine mate!

Still waiting on confirmation as to whether this will go ahead, again due to the lack of interest!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

VW

How many more people do you need to make it viable?

You could always ask some of the big-boys on Pistonheads if you wanted to get a few more numbers involved, and/or some exotica...
(Post Link) post #20 of 91 Old 28-01-09 Thread Starter

We need roughly 60 for the day, at the moment it is probably only half that and that's with about 8 clubs being asked, just waiting on the nod at the moment!
AO Gold Member

County: Kent

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

Sounds interesting but a bit too far from me.

Wish it were a 60-100 day - would have a good chance then
(Post Link) post #22 of 91 Old 28-01-09 Thread Starter

Ok, this event is a big thumbs up and this is where you have to act quick, so:

To book your place at 30-130 on Sunday 8th March please contact Darin or Mechell at the MLR on 0845 12 526237. Places will be sold on a first come first served basis.

Please note we will also need your personal details for all drivers and passengers so we can get you Security clearance into RAF Marham. Without this clearance you will not be able to enter the airbase and the event. This will be taken in confidence.

I have targeted this event specifically in the GTA section as you have to bear in mind that any car coming has to be able to show at least 140mph on the clock (allowing for clocks over reading) and be able to achieve this run in roughly 1.5miles of runway! In other words, anything less than a quick hot hatch will probably be wasting their time!
(Post Link) post #23 of 91 Old 28-01-09 Thread Starter

The "30-130 and Top Speed" event was created to stop all the pub talk surrounding tuning and to understand 'real world' performance, and which modifications / packages really work, and RAF Marham is the perfect environment with 2800 yards of immaculate tarmac!

How does it work?
Using VBox technology each car enters the start box below 30mph and then accelerates hard so it exits at over 30mph and continues to 130mph as quickly as possible. There are no more rules - just do whatever you think is the fastest way of accelerating to 130mph - and on to a max speed if you want - it's all about being as quick as possible!

The GPS data logging records everything your car does - you can have as many runs as you can fit in and try anything you like, such as in gear times, 0-60, top speed, brake tests, etc and review all the data later, but for the purposes of this event we'll pull off the valid 30-130 times and top speed and display them on the results leaderboard throughout the day.

We've measured a few different cars over the years to put things into perspective - although we haven't measured a Scoob yet!

Simon Norris - Evo9SWB - 6.19
Porsche 911 Turbo (X50) - 13.44
Porsche 911 GT3 - 15.73
Ferrari 360 - 16.14
Skyline GTR32 - 20.01
Monaro - 33.91
Honda Accord Type R - 40.64

Here's the result from previous MLR 30-130 events;

2008: 30-130 results - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum
2007: 30-130 RAF Marham Results - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum
30-130 & Top Speed Results - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum
2006: 30-130 Official Results - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum
AO Member

County: Surrey

6.19 sec! What kind of mad Evo is that!

I could be tempted and will keep an eye on the post... would be interesting to see how a GTV Cup fairs against the GTA's!
(Post Link) post #25 of 91 Old 28-01-09 Thread Starter

Remember that all details and payment have to be in by 13th Feb!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTA

Tags
130mph , day

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page