First off, happy new year everyone.
Anyway, with my 147 GTA coming along I figured I'd give it a progress thread, especially with the more exciting transformations with any luck not being too far away now.
It all started last March when I pretty much gave in to temptation and went ahead with purchasing one. It was a pretty low mileage at just under 65k from 2003 in red. Despite the quite common thing of the place where I got it from thinking all it would need doing is repainting I knew full well there'd be more to it than that given the age of these cars now. One things for sure it would likely be my biggest project yet, a much bigger challenge than the 939 Spider I used to own in terms of bringing it up to scratch.
This really was one of those could go either way scenarios given the condition it was in mechanically. Thankfully no headgasket/engine rebuild dilemma's however if I was the sort of person who just believed what I was told and didn't do anything then serious issues would have likely happened and instead of a classic being saved it would have been another one gone for salvage.
The check up and service came quite soon after which revealed quite a few things that needed addressing bit by bit. For one it needed topping up on oil, the driveshaft and power steering rack had a leak, which explained why cleaning the inner front alloys was a complete mess! Even though the cambelt had been done before, it turned out that whoever did it really shouldn't be working on cars let's put it that way. The cam cover has seen better days but that will be addressed which you'll soon see.
The aspects concerning the suspension area and the general ruggedness and stability underneath were one of the first bits to be dealt with, the car collapsing on itself is a big no no. I also got a new undertray as again probably due to laziness from previous owners it did not have one, so again another simple part that is important neglected.
Around mid year the Wizard exhaust arrived and went on, improving greatly from the Scorpion that came with it. Incredible how light the Wizard is, makes the Scorpion look and feel like an anvil! Soon afterwards new Wizard flexi pipes went on as the old ones had a leak and were blowing. This was soon followed by the new steering rack and driveshaft being fitted so no more annoying fluid dripping.
August time, and I got lucky and found a set of Imola leather original GTA interior, out went the Ducati Corse seats that for some reason got fitted before my ownership (the original black GTA seats were promised to be given to me but I may have to go and get them myself at this rate) and in and looking much better the GTA seats go.
Coming up to fairly recently, things are taking more shape. Finally the cambelt and lots of little bits surrounding the engine bay sorted. A full paintjob which set's the tone of what the outside will look like, even replacing the coolant tank for a new one makes it look so much better.
It's a huge step up from before.
That's most of the detail covered so far. As a whole the car sounds and drives much better now, although the tyres aren't the best so I think it could be even better, that'll be getting sorted in a matter of a week or so all being well. I've also got 330mm brakes ready and waiting but there's a few other bits first to do.
It won't be long until the next upgrade now, the new cambelt cover shouldn't be too far off now being made and fitted either. It's been pretty enjoyable watching this special V6 machine being brought back to how it should be, it's tempting to do it again but I'd rather not jump too far ahead.