147 GTA Rising Project - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 152Likes

AO Member

That looks great.
Perhaps it is too early, but any time frame about the production, cost per piece?
We all want that right now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #52 of 95 Old 01-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire
Thank you, I'm only roughly guesstimating based on the time it took for the first piece and the mold itself being made. I'd say from the moment I put an order in possibly 3-4 weeks or around a month, however given that next time if there is interest to the point where I order more to be made it will be me dealing with it, so along with getting to know more details I'd likely try and ask if they could be done faster if possible.

Pricewise again I do have a figure in mind but it's hard knowing how the market would react. As said in a previous post it won't be cheap, the mould and the process to get the piece how you see it wasn't exactly pocket money let's put it that way, and the piece is on the higher end of quality side. You'd be looking at 500 + postage for one. I appreciate the interest and apologise about the somewhat hesistancy and taking things slow, however originally this was just really more about finding a personal solution for my original cambelt cover which was in bad shape and causing concern. At the time I wasn't really expecting anything else and I'm surprised really as even just showing it through a couple of the Alfa forums at present (this one included) I've got a lot more interest than I thought I would get to be honest.
maxiboy wales and maly85 like this.
AO Member

I`m sure that the price is reflecting the quality and the uniqueness. When you have an engine bay looking like that, this is a must. Probably fits perfect when you have carbon plenum and cover
Jean_Luc Picard likes this.
(Post Link) post #54 of 95 Old 03-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks, one large aspect of the piece is the styling which if you have had the engine bay all done nice does compliment it well. I know mine doesn't have a carbon plenum and everything however even without that it works nicely. However I fully agree if you have the carbon plenum as well as possibly the lower part of the engine with the carbon cover and even the Autodelta carbon air intake pipe it should be an attractive item to compliment those too.

In other news, I'll leave this here for now as it'll be a while before I start anything. Today I think I may have officially gone insane. That low mileage GT 3.2 that was about a bit ago, well guess who went and bought it a few weeks ago? It has arrived today! Looking forward to working on this in the future, probably not until later this year or next year though and first thing will be the usual mechanicals/maintainance. Black does give me quite a big palette though if I decide to change colours!

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
You've definitely got the bug now!

Congrats on the purchase, a 35k mile Busso GT will definitely be a collector's car in future.
(Post Link) post #56 of 95 Old 03-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Haha thanks! I'm just glad I went to see it as I kinda overlooked the GT for a long time. Liked the looks and I'm a fan of the rear end despite it being a bit marmite to some however was afraid it might be a bit too similar to the 147 given quite a few bits are the same. I couldn't have been anymore wrong, totally different car in my eyes when I drove it which was great!

Feeling pleased I've gone for it, I swear there were more V6 GT's like just under a year ago but there seem to be less of them more recently, makes me wonder if more are keeping them but who knows.
sye
AO Member

County: Kent

Member car:

GT 3.2 V6

Lovely. Although biased, a black 3.2 GT is right up there for me. Enjoy your purchase.
AO Member

Have fun with this one too
Looks quite nice and well maintained. That engine bay sure needs some TLC.
Do you have enough antifreeze in that tank? perhaps the level is not visible.
(Post Link) post #59 of 95 Old 03-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sye View Post
Lovely. Although biased, a black 3.2 GT is right up there for me. Enjoy your purchase.
Thanks sye, I'm looking forward to it when the time comes. Definitely one of those special can't fully put into words cars that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionutp View Post
Have fun with this one too
Looks quite nice and well maintained. That engine bay sure needs some TLC.
Do you have enough antifreeze in that tank? perhaps the level is not visible.
Thanks, for me it's all part of the fun. Turning something that has lost some shine and bringing it back into it's prime feels quite nice. I'll have a look at the tank, this was just like the GTA's engine bay when I first got that including the coolant tank. I'll be shopping at Partsworld as they still sell new coolant tanks and various others parts I'll need for not much right now, plus my 12% AROC UK member discount should work well too!
maxiboy wales likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

Pretty sure I spotted this at Beaulieu today - that carbon timing cover is a dead giveaway.
(Post Link) post #61 of 95 Old 16-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Yes I was at Beaulieu with it, in terms of a large/main show it's the first time it has broken cover in the flesh pretty much.

Also met GardenerGTA and spent a lot of the show chatting to him which was great. I know I said at the time I'd be at Brooklands however upon a bit of reflection I've decided to give it a miss this year. It feels a bit full on with the way the GTA is taking it to shows that are quite far away in a short space of time as well, I ultimately felt it would be better to use the time to do a few more refinements for the rest of the shows I plan to attend. Newby Hall next then National Alfa Day all being well. I'm sure I'll see you at another show at some point hopefully soon.

I got the second carbon timing belt cover today to show it in more detail. The bad news is that in a bit of my own stupidity and getting things a bit muddled up I got the pricing wrong. On their own without any dedicated bulk/group buy it's going to be more than 500, in fact at that price it's not worth my while to buy one or a few to be made and sell on apart from on a personal level on one of my own Busso's. You'd be looking at 610 + postage on that front. Again, it might not seem it but the moulding costs were very high so I'm not actually making a large amount on each one in relation.

In terms of a bulk order while I don't have the full details yet, I should be able to talk to the moulding company soon and possibly do some haggling. It is likely but don't jump to conclusions yet the cost drops more noticeably when 5 or more are purchased at once if there is a group buy big enough, and 10+ more so. If it is 5 or more but less than 10 the price might be more down to the 500 level.

Here's the pictures which hopefully show it off well. Again I'm not expecting many if any takers though but like I said the first time, it's there and an option for anyone interested.

In other news, I'm planning to have the next little bit of refinement done on the GTA in mid May, it's quite a useful thing to do which you'll see soon enough.
AO Member

County: Noord Brabant
wow, what a great topic, and what a stunning GTA you created of it!
(Post Link) post #63 of 95 Old 18-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thank you, it is much appreciated. Still more bits to add as well hopefully all being well.

I'm currently writing an article on it which shows the progress from when I got it all the way to Spring Alfa Day just passed. If anyone here is part of the Alfa Romeo Owners Club then it might be in the magazine soon, I'm making good progress so may finish in time for the next deadline. You'll see some slightly more recent shots as well as some under night flourescant lighting, once they are out I'll probably put them in this thread too.
alfabeat likes this.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Luc Picard View Post
Haha thanks! I'm just glad I went to see it as I kinda overlooked the GT for a long time. Liked the looks and I'm a fan of the rear end despite it being a bit marmite to some however was afraid it might be a bit too similar to the 147 given quite a few bits are the same. I couldn't have been anymore wrong, totally different car in my eyes when I drove it which was great!
Great purchase! How would you compare it to 147 GTA and what are main "driving differences" you could feel?
(Post Link) post #65 of 95 Old 19-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregi View Post
Great purchase! How would you compare it to 147 GTA and what are main "driving differences" you could feel?
Thanks, I've had limited time driving it but I do feel differences. I'd say the main one is the 147 GTA feels more in your face, you feel the speed more and you tend to feel the imperfections of the road a bit more, I'd say that mainly comes down to it being a smaller car.

The ride is a bit more rough and raw because of this, the GT in contrast feels smoother due to it being a bigger car and longer wheelbase from a 156. Whereas the 147's power is pretty savage the 3.2 GT feels like it comes in more refined, it doesn't feel like you are going as fast compared to when in the 147, however you still are ultimately, just in a different way. If you like things smoother then the GT is more in that area. Saying that for what it is the 147 GTA still felt nice enough on the 4 hour each way trip to Spring Alfa Day just gone, however the same journey would have likely have been nicer in the GT, it does absorb the perils of the road better.
(Post Link) post #66 of 95 Old 30-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

My 147 GTA now has it's first article! A big thanks to Enzari for accepting it and being happy to show it. A few new shots too including some at night now.

Last edited by Jean_Luc Picard; 30-04-19 at 19:24.
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Garage
Nice, some great pictures there as well, must feel like a proud parent.
AO Member

County: Noord Brabant
Nice article - attention well deserved
(Post Link) post #69 of 95 Old 03-05-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thank you, it's a nice feeling given all the work that has gone into it so far. I wasn't expecting this sort of thing to happen, I'm happy with the car which is the main thing but stuff like this is always a nice little bonus.

I've finished my article for the AROC now as well and sent it so it should be in the magazine at some point, although it might be a few issues yet. This one is a longer write up which goes into a bit more detail and covers it at Spring Alfa Day instead to reflect the publication it is going in. Each article I feel it is good to give a bit of exclusivity and difference, makes things a bit more interesting and varied too.

Won't be long now until I'm back in for another bit of work to improve it. I know I'm not at Brooklands tomorrow but anyone who is there I hope you have a nice time and it is a great event. Hopefully I'll be there next year.
(Post Link) post #70 of 95 Old 29-05-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Things have been a bit slower lately, I have got the reflective filming put on to tidy up the rest of the engine. I don't want to keep it like that for long given the heat so I have put my deposit down for a set of Wizard Manifolds which I will then get coated ready to fit in. I will be paying the rest at the end of June ready for them to be fitted late July.

Also at the end of June I'll be having done what a few have done in the past which is also putting the reflective material around the ECU cradle to reflect heat away. As of late June onwards the main focus is getting rid of a large enough amount of heat in general.

Along with when the manifolds go in I will also be getting the clutch done; it is getting hard and generally worse despite not being done very long before I got it, another job that was done badly before. My original middle cat when the film was being fitted was found to be getting worse, internal piece rattling which has been removed now as a temporary fix. The cat isn't great anyway as mentioned earlier the end has been bodged and chopped off in the past by someone who obviously cut corners. I managed to find what looks like a good enough complete original cat for sale so have puchased it so fingers crossed it all goes ok and I can get that sorted in the future.

I will also be getting my GTA out of storage on Friday ready for Newby Hall on Sunday.

Last edited by Jean_Luc Picard; 29-05-19 at 16:41.
(Post Link) post #71 of 95 Old 04-06-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Well today didn't go to plan...

Looks like the slam panel will have to wait. On route to the paintshop and the clutch decided to give up, luckily had the lights on my side and just about managed to coast and pull in to a safe recoverable place off the main road. Went to change to second in traffic and then clunk, pedal stuck, tried to pull it back up but then it won't push back down, so essentially frozen gearstick and game over. Ironic when in a month or so the clutch was going to be replaced anyway, looks like I gambled just a bit too much. Lesson learnt, any signs of clutch on it's way out in the future I'm getting on it right away.

That's my first Alfa breakdown, luckily I wasn't stranded for too long, props to Greenflag they arrived in only just over half an hour in which it was a short journey to Gareth at Northern Alfa where the car is stored when not in use. I ended up using my newly acquired manual Giulietta Cloverleaf as a courtesy car to go home in at least!

I can't guarantee I'll be at National Alfa Day in the GTA now, however thanks to Gareth he is flexible with me so with this a priority and the slam panel not being done I might be able to pay the rest of my deposit for the Wizard manifolds when they are ready and possibly have it done at the end of the month just in time. Still weighing it up really given the unexpectedness of the situation.
edraven71 and maxiboy wales like this.
AO Silver Member

County: Carmarthenshire

Member car:

Alfa 156 Gta

Glad you got recovered quick and safely though.. shame it didnt last a little longer

Had an issue with mine too. first job in a garage as was to busy they broke it.. now without car till monday.. lol
(Post Link) post #73 of 95 Old 04-06-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Yeah, I was hoping I would be able to last long enough until after NAD and then sort it given the very low miles I do with it being a second/fun car. On the flipside at least it didn't happen on Sunday when ITCAM Newby Hall was on and it happened not far from home and also not far from Gareth's. Happening on the way or on the way back from NAD would have been even worse. I'm still amazed and thankful as to how quick recovery came. Trying to get the the towing eye cap off was trying though, typically I had no flathead screwdriver which the manual mentions so I had to do a Macgyver and pry it using a combination of a coin and the strength of my fingers!

I hope you get your issue sorted, although it sounds like that garage is one to avoid!
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Garage
What a pain, but as you said would have been worse if you were miles away from home.

These things just pop up to remind us they are Alfa's, it's why we like them so much.
(Post Link) post #75 of 95 Old 19-06-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edraven71 View Post
What a pain, but as you said would have been worse if you were miles away from home.

These things just pop up to remind us they are Alfa's, it's why we like them so much.
Yeah, it hasn't stopped my liking of the brand at all, if anything it brings out the human element/touch of it that is attractive.

Sadly, I won't be going to NAD in the GTA, the Wizard manifolds aren't here yet (hopefully they'll be here soon) and really I want to have them ceramic coated first and it's just not going to happen in time unfortunately. Plus I'm not getting the clutch done on it's own and fork out more for other major bits after, I'd rather have all the crucial work done in one and go to a show in as top form as possible instead of arriving looking like I am nursing an injury. Now I'm aiming for MITCAR which gives me a fair bit of time now at least to possibly do a bit more as well.

I will be going to NAD in this though.

I have booked my 2011 Giulietta Cloverleaf in to be worked on next Wednesday instead ready for NAD. Full on service, check over, new coolant tank, latest better built turbo oil feed pipe, both rear boot lights getting replaced as the current ones have some marks/cracking. Main noticeable bit to go with all of it is the Wizard backbox with the Ascari straight through middle pipe that I had removed from my previous Giulietta Launch Edition before I sold it, so I'll at least have something nice enough to go in along with the soundtrack coming back.
alfabeat, edraven71 and sye like this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTA

Tags
147 , gta , project , rising

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page