GTA rear suspension overhaul - group buy - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 42Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 65 Old 05-05-18 Thread Starter
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,730
GTA rear suspension overhaul - group buy

15/03/2019 - Update

Thinking of doing another group buy and stocking up for myself as well. Does anyone want to get in on this? Could ideally do with 5 buyers to make the deal work. Price would be 380 for the set.


------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original post:

Hi everyone

I've just asked our supplier in Italy for fresh prices / availability of the rear arms for the GTA model, which is:

Pair of trailing arms (1 x left, 1 x right)
Pair of front transverse arms (these are GTA specific with uprated bushes)
Pair of rear transverse arms
Pair of hub bushes

If anyone else missed out on the last group buy, this might be your chance. Keep your fingers crossed all these parts are still available in genuine Alfa, as the aftermarket options are not acceptable quality in my opinion (bushes too soft even when new, and they wear too quickly) and going down the Powerflex route adds in a little bit more harshness than I would like, especially for a purely road-going car.

Link to the last group buy:

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...overhauls.html (GTA rear suspension overhauls)

I'll update the thread with prices when I know, but it would be good to have an idea of how many people might be interested to try and negotiate the best possible discount.

Cheers

Dan
maxiboy wales likes this.

Autolusso Penrith - UK's leading independent Alfa Romeo specialist with branches in Bedfordshire, Cumbria & Dorset

Wizard Exhaust systems available here

Tel: 01768 879 171

Last edited by Pud237; 15-03-19 at 14:07.
Pud237 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: Loving the GTA
AO Silver Member
 
alfabeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Herefordshire
Posts: 3,959
I'm interested Dan.
alfabeat is offline  
Status: Why bother with 3 cylinders when 6 will do?
AO Silver Member
 
Mymatemarmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: Devon
Posts: 1,991
A quick question....my car gets very little use, when it is driven it's all pretty gentle stuff and it's on 56,000 miles. To me everything is fine at the rear and nothing has ever come up on an MOT. However I know parts are getting scarse. I'm wondering how long the current items on the car will last? Is there a typical mileage that they last to?
Mymatemarmite is offline  
Status: Can't get caught speeding if my car doesn't work
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
County: -
Posts: 17

Member car:

147 GTA

I'm interested but also wondering what's the amount of labour required fit these parts?
chotofish is offline  
(Post Link) post #5 of 65 Old 08-05-18 Thread Starter
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mymatemarmite View Post
A quick question....my car gets very little use, when it is driven it's all pretty gentle stuff and it's on 56,000 miles. To me everything is fine at the rear and nothing has ever come up on an MOT. However I know parts are getting scarse. I'm wondering how long the current items on the car will last? Is there a typical mileage that they last to?
At 100k they're usually tired and replacement makes the car feel better, even if the existing arms are not at the point where they'd fail an MOT. You do get failures before this point in time, but not really much, nothing like how the front suspension requires fairly regular replacement.
Pud237 is online now  
(Post Link) post #6 of 65 Old 08-05-18 Thread Starter
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by chotofish View Post
I'm interested but also wondering what's the amount of labour required fit these parts?
Worst part of the job is getting the long bolt out of the shock & rear hub, and then also getting the old bush inner races off the bolts which go through the subframe.. If this goes well, you could fit the full kit in maybe 3 ish hours. If it doesn't go well and everything is horribly corroded, then you could probably double it.
maxiboy wales likes this.
Pud237 is online now  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: United Kingdom
County: Carmarthenshire
Posts: 3,978

Member car:

Alfa 156 Gta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Hi everyone

I've just asked our supplier in Italy for fresh prices / availability of the rear arms for the GTA model, which is:

Pair of trailing arms (1 x left, 1 x right)
Pair of front transverse arms (these are GTA specific with uprated bushes)
Pair of rear transverse arms
Pair of hub bushes

If anyone else missed out on the last group buy, this might be your chance. Keep your fingers crossed all these parts are still available in genuine Alfa, as the aftermarket options are not acceptable quality in my opinion (bushes too soft even when new, and they wear too quickly) and going down the Powerflex route adds in a little bit more harshness than I would like, especially for a purely road-going car.

Link to the last group buy:

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...overhauls.html

I'll update the thread with prices when I know, but it would be good to have an idea of how many people might be interested to try and negotiate the best possible discount.

Cheers

Dan
What in your opinion is the biggest killer of suspension items.. just time .. degrading over time .. mileage or usage.. potholes track time etc
maxiboy wales is offline  
(Post Link) post #8 of 65 Old 08-05-18 Thread Starter
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,730
Bit of everything really - rear suspension isn't prone to a whole lot of wear and tear. I'm sure if you use it hard you will wear it out faster. I had a 147 GTA in recently, 1 owner from new and 90-odd thou on the clock, he said he has always driven it fairly gently and the suspension on the car was all in good order, front lower wishbones had recently been changed for the first time, and the rear end was just starting to show a little bit of softness but nowhere near MOT failure, and his tyres weren't wearing unevenly either. Replacing some of the components at this point would only make things noticeably better if it was driven hard I'd think, you would probably struggle to notice the difference driving normally.
maxiboy wales likes this.
Pud237 is online now  
(Post Link) post #9 of 65 Old 08-05-18 Thread Starter
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,730
Just had word back, there is some stock of the GTA specific arms, so we can go ahead. The kit price is coming in at 394 inc VAT now, to confirm:

- Pair of rear transverse arms
- Pair of GTA specific front transverse arms
- Pair of trailing arms
- Pair of hub bushes
- Postage to mainland UK address

(all genuine Alfa)

I'm going to buy a few sets for stock, anyone else wanting to buy a set please let me know.
maxiboy wales likes this.
Pud237 is online now  
Status: Why bother with 3 cylinders when 6 will do?
AO Silver Member
 
Mymatemarmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: Devon
Posts: 1,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
At 100k they're usually tired and replacement makes the car feel better, even if the existing arms are not at the point where they'd fail an MOT. You do get failures before this point in time, but not really much, nothing like how the front suspension requires fairly regular replacement.
That's useful to know, thanks for the reply.
Pud237 and maxiboy wales like this.
Mymatemarmite is offline  
Status: Loving the GTA
AO Silver Member
 
alfabeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Herefordshire
Posts: 3,959
Yes please, Dan. Having looked back through the history I'm pretty sure my rear suspension is all original (apart from shocks/springs) - 126k miles.
alfabeat is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
bmoferrall's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Ireland
County: Dublin
Posts: 305

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

I don't see any mention of rear suspension work in my service history (as above, apart from shocks/springs) and the car has covered 121K miles. Although I haven't noticed any issues I hope to keep the car long term.

Please include me if it's not too late and assuming you post to Dublin, cheers.
Pud237 likes this.
bmoferrall is offline  
Status: Loving the GTA
AO Silver Member
 
alfabeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Herefordshire
Posts: 3,959
All part of my "future proofing" plan for GTA ownership. So far got spare drive shafts, ECU and front bumper.....
Pud237 and maxiboy wales like this.
alfabeat is offline  
(Post Link) post #14 of 65 Old 09-05-18 Thread Starter
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,730
OK so far looks like:

1) Alfabeat
2) bmoferrall

Any other takers?
Pud237 is online now  
(Post Link) post #15 of 65 Old 09-05-18 Thread Starter
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabeat View Post
All part of my "future proofing" plan for GTA ownership. So far got spare drive shafts, ECU and front bumper.....
Not a bad idea.. Last thing you want is a failure and not be able to source the parts you need. I can remember waiting 6 months ish for an ECU and that was 2011.

Would a new-old-stock GTA SW rear bumper (minus splitter) be of any interest to you?
maxiboy wales likes this.
Pud237 is online now  
Status: Can't get caught speeding if my car doesn't work
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
County: -
Posts: 17

Member car:

147 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
OK so far looks like:

1) Alfabeat
2) bmoferrall

Any other takers?
Just confirming that these are fine for the 147 GTA and I can organise separate shipping from you to Australia, if yes, please include me and thanks!
chotofish is offline  
(Post Link) post #17 of 65 Old 14-05-18 Thread Starter
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by chotofish View Post
Just confirming that these are fine for the 147 GTA and I can organise separate shipping from you to Australia, if yes, please include me and thanks!
I can do, I've sent you a PM with details
Pud237 is online now  
Status: Loving the GTA
AO Silver Member
 
alfabeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Herefordshire
Posts: 3,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Not a bad idea.. Last thing you want is a failure and not be able to source the parts you need. I can remember waiting 6 months ish for an ECU and that was 2011.

Would a new-old-stock GTA SW rear bumper (minus splitter) be of any interest to you?
Not at the moment Dan. Spent enough on her, and an additional bumper is harder to hide in the garage! Thank you though!
alfabeat is offline  
(Post Link) post #19 of 65 Old 14-05-18 Thread Starter
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,730
No worries, worth an ask. Its been sitting in my in-law's cellar since I moved up here. Someone will need it one day I'm sure
Pud237 is online now  
Status: The Noise!
AO Silver Member
 
fewleh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Posts: 2,654

Member car:

Alfa 147 GTA

I had a set from the last group buy and the car feels really good now. I also had a slightly bent rear arm somehow.. but coupled with arbs and new shocks and springs, the car feels brilliant again. Down side was everything was corroded (as you'd expect really) so the mech had a hell of a job getting bolts out.
fewleh is offline  
Status: -
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Australia
County: Australia
Posts: 5

Member car:

156 GTA

Hi,
I just purchased a 2nd hand GTA and I am trying to sort out a number of things.
Suspension components will be needed. Still waiting to get 156GTA up on my friends hoist to see what is original, what is OK and what to replace.
Could be very interested. Shipping will be to Australia
thanks Peter
alfasudGTV is offline  
(Post Link) post #22 of 65 Old 03-06-18 Thread Starter
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,730
Can do this for you Peter, if you email me your shipping address I'll get you a quote. Email address is same as my forum username, @gmail.com
alfasudGTV likes this.
Pud237 is online now  
Status: Loving the GTA
AO Silver Member
 
alfabeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Herefordshire
Posts: 3,959
Received today - thanks Dan! Will tackle this before too long! Looks like quite a nice job, assuming everything comes undone...
alfabeat is offline  
(Post Link) post #24 of 65 Old 19-06-18 Thread Starter
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabeat View Post
Received today - thanks Dan! Will tackle this before too long! Looks like quite a nice job, assuming everything comes undone...
Top tip, take the rear subframe off. Only 4 bolts holding it on. Then you can take your time stripping the arms from the eccentric bolts that run through the middle. Long bolt through the bottom of the shock absorber will need a 3ft bar and lots of heat to get turning, but once it starts to budge you can get them spinning with an impact gun and pull them out.
Pud237 is online now  
rxe
Status: Busso
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: Berkshire
Posts: 4,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Top tip, take the rear subframe off. Only 4 bolts holding it on. Then you can take your time stripping the arms from the eccentric bolts that run through the middle. Long bolt through the bottom of the shock absorber will need a 3ft bar and lots of heat to get turning, but once it starts to budge you can get them spinning with an impact gun and pull them out.
Having done 4 of these now - I can't agree enough. You can spend a load of time faffing under the car - or you can just unbolt the rear calipers, disconnect the handbrake and ABS cables .... and drop the whole lot off the bottom of the car. It seems radical, but really it isn't.
alfabeat likes this.
rxe is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTA

Tags
buy , group , gta , overhaul , rear , suspension

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome