Aftermarket stereo installation questions... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By willfisher
  • 1 Post By willfisher
  • 1 Post By Ror
  • 1 Post By edcam33
  • 1 Post By edcam33

(Post Link) post #1 of 23 Old 28-09-15 Thread Starter

County: -
Aftermarket stereo installation questions...

I have a 2012 Giuliettas, had it since nearly new and I love it....

... except for the radio. B&M sucks. FM/AM radio sucks. I want android auto, DAB radio and better bluetooth, and I don't want to buy a whole new car.

So, here is the plan:
* Top of the range Pioneer head unit Buy Pioneer MP3 Car Stereo with USB, CD/DVD and Bluetooth - AVIC F77DAB
* New facsia Alfa Romeo Giulietta 2010> Facia Plate
* ISO harness so all the buttons work: Connects2 CT20AR01 ISO Harness for Alfa Romeo Giulietta - CT20AR01 from Connects2

Do I need anything else?

I've seen on youtube how to install all of this and it seems easy enough, so on to my real question...

I'll need to plug my phone in to the headunit via USB for android auto to work. As a bonus, my phone will charge through it.
I have a (soon to be useless) tom-tom port above my existing radio, but I see that other people have handy compartments instead.

A handy compartment like this would be a perfect place to put my phone in while plugged into the head unit.....

Would it be possible to change the tom-tom port thing for a compartment? Where would I be able to get the parts to do this?

Thanks!
Will
RazvanZoitanu likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
If I was paying that much for a head unit I'd want it to play lossless files, which this doesn't seem to? It's a bit like buying a top of the range separates hifi system and then streaming MP3s through it; utterly pointless!
(Post Link) post #3 of 23 Old 29-09-15 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aureol40012 View Post
If I was paying that much for a head unit I'd want it to play lossless files, which this doesn't seem to? It's a bit like buying a top of the range separates hifi system and then streaming MP3s through it; utterly pointless!
It does support FLAC, but I tend to prefer 320kb MP3s. The quality difference is scientifically imperceptible and the files more useful.
Alfa oldskool G likes this.
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
The shopping list you have is pretty much all you need. I would recommend installing a rear view camera whilst you are at it. The installation is easy enough to do. The most un-nerving bit is butchering the dash to make room for the double din unit.
I posted some pictures of my install on this thread:

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ch-screen.html

If you live anywhere near Leeds and need a hand with the install feel free to give me a shout.
(Post Link) post #5 of 23 Old 06-10-15 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pembo75 View Post
The shopping list you have is pretty much all you need. I would recommend installing a rear view camera whilst you are at it. The installation is easy enough to do. The most un-nerving bit is butchering the dash to make room for the double din unit.
I posted some pictures of my install on this thread:

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ch-screen.html

If you live anywhere near Leeds and need a hand with the install feel free to give me a shout.
Thanks for the offer mate, but I'm in deepest darkest essex. That part of the job doesn't really phase me though...

I'm currently deciding between going to connects2 fascia route or to buy a spare used ali fascia and cutting it up to use the Phonocar 3/583. I like my brushed ali fascia and don't fancy replacing it with a plastic one.

I guess nobody knows about removing the tom-tom port and putting a dash top box in? Otherwise, I'm not sure where I'm going to plug my phone in for android auto. Apparently, the lid is part number 156101280, but I may need some other parts I guess....
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

Giulietta QV

Think you got it covered. I went for a spare dash, but have still (+2 years maybe!) not got around to finishing the project. Not sure about the phonocar surround, I was planning to make a metal bracket that mounts to original HU bolts then just cut, fill & sand the sacrificial dash before painting.

As it happens I was looking again yesterday at the latest HU, and Alpine have one now with a 7" screen and SINGLE DIN back end:
Alpine - Advanced Navi Station - INE-W997D

I am tempted, as would still need some dash trimming but a lot less than a double din. Pioneer unit also good, as you note it does most things needed and its slightly better value than the F70 model.

Lots older threads - make sure you spend a bit of time with google search as the connects2 dash (apart from being ) has a distinct "shelf" top to it where the original dash curves up at the top - the look might not be what you think.

EDIT: Wow those connects 2 dash's got cheaper, they were 200 when I last looked.

Giulietta QV 1750TBi (been&gone= 156, GT, Abarth 500)
Mrs TallPaul - 159TI sportwagon 2.0JTDM

Last edited by TallPaul; 06-10-15 at 14:15.
(Post Link) post #7 of 23 Old 06-10-15 Thread Starter

Useful thoughts, thanks. I love the idea of the single din alpine unit, however for me the killer feature I'm after is android auto... all I really want out of a HU is CD, digital radio, bluetooth for music/phone calls and provide a simple way to display/interact with my phones google maps! I know the 800 odd for the pioneer unit is a lot, but I guess this android auto is still on the bleeding edge. It is, however, the future.

I have read the old threads quite a bit recently, and on the phonocar surround, I see this one post (in a thread you commented on) very useful:
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...l#post11506906
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocsta View Post
I have been through this experience with a RHD QV.

(1) I wanted to keep the metal fascia so bought a facade that slips ontop of the blue metal fascia, however, when we made the cuts and popped into the DIN, it did not fit in deep enough. The installed recommended cutting the air con vent which I was completely against.
Problem was, that the instructions were for LHD only (with pictures).

So.....
(2)
I bought the Connects2 fascia and had plans to hydro dip it to a blue metal pattern.
This arrived, and was much deeper to account for the double din, but still wouldnt fit.
However, the instructions were different, and requested to cut the bottom of the double din space out (vs the other fitting piece suggesting to cut out the top).

Now its all good.
So, perhaps this route is not possible without extensive modification.

I guess I'll take everything apart and measure up before I go ahead and order stuff.
AO Gold Member

This HU should be pretty quick, it also has a capacitive screen which I think is a first for in car HU's.

IIRC, there are 2 USB's at the back, make sure you use the right one as the other is for an Iphone.

You could have the fascia wrapped I guess?
AO Member

County: Norfolk
Garage

Member car:

Giulietta 1.4TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfisher View Post
Useful thoughts, thanks. I love the idea of the single din alpine unit, however for me the killer feature I'm after is android auto... all I really want out of a HU is CD, digital radio, bluetooth for music/phone calls and provide a simple way to display/interact with my phones google maps! I know the 800 odd for the pioneer unit is a lot, but I guess this android auto is still on the bleeding edge. It is, however, the future.

I have read the old threads quite a bit recently, and on the phonocar surround, I see this one post (in a thread you commented on) very useful:
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...l#post11506906

So, perhaps this route is not possible without extensive modification.

I guess I'll take everything apart and measure up before I go ahead and order stuff.
Hi mate,

if you want to save couple of hundred pounds you can buy this pioneer unit instead

Buy Pioneer MP3 Car with USB, CD and Bluetooth - AVH X8700BT

I believe it's similar unit and if you don't need built in sat nav then it should be just fine
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snokio View Post
This HU should be pretty quick, it also has a capacitive screen which I think is a first for in car HU's.
The top end Alpine and I believe the Kenwood and Pioneer have always had capacitive not resistive screens, nice to see it coming down the ranges mind.

When you take dash apart it looks like this:
EwcgZm7.jpg

To get a true double din to fit you need to cut away to the top of the hole to make it tall enough, my hope is that the Alpine I linked above which is double din display with single din back end (no transport for CD/DVD) will fit without the need to cut the sub-dash away. Need funds first mind...
AO Member

County: Gauteng
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
The top end Alpine and I believe the Kenwood and Pioneer have always had capacitive not resistive screens, nice to see it coming down the ranges mind.

When you take dash apart it looks like this:
Attachment 570410

To get a true double din to fit you need to cut away to the top of the hole to make it tall enough, my hope is that the Alpine I linked above which is double din display with single din back end (no transport for CD/DVD) will fit without the need to cut the sub-dash away. Need funds first mind...
Bump Bump

So bro did you complete the upgrade? If you have, please kindly post pics of it.

Thanks
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta QV

Nope. still running stock head unit into aftermarket speakers... too cold at the moment to be messing in the garage!

I know this has been a while but anyone actually manage to get one working and if so with what?? ?
Ror

Giving it a try

I'm giving it a go this weekend, have bought all the parts just need to cut away the sub dash with something. I'll let you know.
Ror

Success!

It was a tricky job (took a day and a half as weather was cold and snowy), had to cut away the sub-dash plastic with a very small hack saw and used a drill to cut away some of the thicker parts (below air vents).

You will require a Torque Screwdriver kit.
New Dash to accommodate new stereo screen. [I used Connects 2 kit for 2010-2013 giulietta models with steering wheel connector unit from ebay 200 pound approx.]

Be aware, blue & me no longer works once new stereo is installed, so buy a new stereo that has blue-tooth connectivity for making calls. I bought a Pioneer-AVH-Z3100DAB-6-2-Inch-Touchscreen and works better than blue and me in my opinion.

A few other points: Aerial cable required an extender cable to reach the new unit. DAB radio antenna was also a struggle but have one located behind new dash, signal is still patchy.

If anybody needs help in Bristol area would happily give some advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20190203-WA0000.jpg (80.8 KB, 63 views)
mru likes this.

Hi,

My pioneer 2-din does not seem to fit in my dashboard.
The unit that Ror has, fits much better than mine does.

See the pictures attached below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3440809E-6280-4813-B31D-A3AFD9861353.jpg (133.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 12B03D10-E297-4EE9-810C-9B6DFD06BE37.jpg (119.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7981.jpg (62.4 KB, 29 views)
mru
AO Member

County: Germany
Garage
It seems to me you have a different unit than ror's Pioneer-AVH-Z3100DAB. The depth of this radio is 157mm; 168mm with connectors.

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply.
My radio (SPH-DA230DAB) is also 15,7 cm in depth. It should fit.. did he cut some of the ventilation channels?
mru
AO Member

Garage
Can you see where you have the issue?
Use some cardboard to check the depth available.
AO Member

County: Malta-

Member car:

Alfa Giulietta

My Set uo

SKU: EU-JY-UO138N4G
CPU: CPU: Intel Airmont eight-core 1.8GHz SC9853i
Ram:LPDDR4 4GB Rom:Samsung 32GB
1). 8 Inch Double Din Auto radio with detachable Front Panel(Size 209*127mm)
2). Support your car OEM Car Steering Wheel Control, DAB+, DVR, Backup Camera, OBD2.
3). Support Navigation Pre-installed Google Maps app, Support Sygic, TomTom, Waze, etc.
4). Support Bluetooth (iPhone/Android phone hands-free call and Bluetooth music) Wi-Fi.
5). Support iPhone Zlink and Android Auto with voice command to make phone calls, running navigation maps, listen to music and access to messages.
6). It comes with 4G SIM Card Slot, built-in DSP, support SPDIF Digital Audio output.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190506_104259.jpg (125.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190506_104234.jpg (50.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190506_104410.jpg (63.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190506_104426.jpg (56.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190515_160413.jpg (58.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190515_170951.jpg (39.0 KB, 15 views)
mru likes this.
mru
AO Member

Garage
How exactly are the interfaces to the steering buttons done?
Do they all work?
I there an option for rear camera/sensors?
Very good fotos!
AO Member

County: Malta-

Member car:

Alfa Giulietta

Yes in the head unit you can set whatever button you wish on your steering wheel but you need to buy This complete Double Din Radio Replacement Kit by Connects2 CTKAR03, link below,

https://www.carcommunications.co.uk/...-romeo-ctkar03

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk
mru likes this.
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

GQV

I had that head unit in my previous 147 for about a week..........it was terrible. The radio reception was non existent, the blue streaming was very intermittent to the point it drove me crazy. I ended up returning it for a full refund (which was possibly the hardest thing i have ever done in my life!)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulietta

Tags
aftermarket , installation , questions , stereo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page