Hello! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 7Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

County: -
Wave Hello!

Hi everyone,
new to this forum and not yet an Alfa owner, however currently looking at Guilieta's for my wife Mandy, if anyone has any advice regarding what to look for or what to avoid I would greatly appreciate it. We currently have an Insignia estate, fiesta, MG Tf, and a Morris minor. The Alfa is intended to replace the fiesta and will be for long term ownership with long runs as well as local use so we are thinking of diesel rather than petrol (both moderns are diesel and have suited us well). many thanks in advance for any help you can give us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Hi and welcome to the forum really depends on what you want petrol, diesel you buying new or used.

Here's a previous thread which may help
https://www.alfaowner.com/#/topics/1183987
Moggyman likes this.
(Post Link) post #3 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Sorry you did say diesel apologies. Diesels are quite solid think only real problem is the egr valve gets blocked up. Common problems with the car in general main one is the wires in the rear hatch loom can break and therefore rear lights and wiper can act strange. Everyone says the 2.0jtdm is the one to go for with a good mix of power and economy.

Hope that helps.
Moggyman likes this.
(Post Link) post #4 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Anything Alfa

If you have a diesel Insignia the engine is probably the same as you will find in a Giulietta. But I believe the Alfa has a little more power in D mode. The big difference I think is the handling, I like the heavier front end of the diesel engined cars, lots of people on here prefer the lighter front end petrol engines. Just depends on your wifes driving style and mileage, I've got a 170bhp 2.0jtdm and never get less than 35mpg even in Germany on the bahn! Budget about £500 a year for tyres and servicing and you should be good to go, my only advice is get the best car you can from someone on here if possible, most of us look after our cars and they will be in good working order.
Saintfunny likes this.
(Post Link) post #5 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Sussex-
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggyman View Post
Hi everyone,
new to this forum and not yet an Alfa owner, however currently looking at Guilieta's for my wife Mandy, if anyone has any advice regarding what to look for or what to avoid I would greatly appreciate it. We currently have an Insignia estate, fiesta, MG Tf, and a Morris minor. The Alfa is intended to replace the fiesta and will be for long term ownership with long runs as well as local use so we are thinking of diesel rather than petrol (both moderns are diesel and have suited us well). many thanks in advance for any help you can give us.
Good evening! The Giulietta is a lovely car, mine is a petrol 1.4 MA & it's super. If you want a Diesel go for the 2.0, happy motoring.
(Post Link) post #6 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

This may be the ideal car for you , and it's from somebody who is on here, it's looks well looked after great example.

https://www.alfaowner.com/#/topics/1185209
(Post Link) post #7 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Anything Alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloverleafmatt View Post
This may be the ideal car for you , and it's from somebody who is on here, it's looks well looked after great example.

https://www.alfaowner.com/#/topics/1185209?page=2
Should your link go to an ad? it doesn't go to a particular car for me?
(Post Link) post #8 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Many thanks for the replies folks, the engine in the insignia is indeed the same engine as the alfa 2 litre albeit in a different state of tune, very economical in the siggy, I even got 56mpg from it loaded to the gunnels and towing a heavily laden trailer down to the limousin. pleased tohear that the handling is good as not driven a Guilietta yet, expected It to be better than the siggy as that's more of a long distance cruiser/workhorse. if we get one which I'm 95% sure we will, it will be used 2 or 3 times a year for the run to france as well as more local and medium distance trips.really pleased to hear that there are no real horror stories regarding reliability providing maintenance schedules are kept up, I know every car has its foibles, but if the driving experience is good who cares! hoping to get something around 2016 as its got to last a long time! many thanks again and I'll let you know how we get on. Oh by the way anyone have an opinion on the 1.6 diesel as there's one not too far from us with 22k on the clock, thought we might take a look .
(Post Link) post #9 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Sorry you did say diesel apologies. Diesels are quite solid think only real problem is the egr valve gets blocked up. Common problems with the car in general main one is the wires in the rear hatch loom can break and therefore rear lights and wiper can act strange. Everyone says the 2.0jtdm is the one to go for with a good mix of power and economy.

Hope that helps.
No need for apologies mate! just appreciate the help and amazed at the quick and friendly response's
(Post Link) post #10 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isotope View Post
Quote:

https://www.alfaowner.com/#/topics/1185209?page=2
Should your link go to an ad? it doesn't go to a particular car for me?
No it doesn't go to an ad it's just one that somebody is selling on here, he says he isn't getting much interest but it seems s nice example
(Post Link) post #11 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggyman View Post
Many thanks for the replies folks, the engine in the insignia is indeed the same engine as the alfa 2 litre albeit in a different state of tune, very economical in the siggy, I even got 56mpg from it loaded to the gunnels and towing a heavily laden trailer down to the limousin. pleased tohear that the handling is good as not driven a Guilietta yet, expected It to be better than the siggy as that's more of a long distance cruiser/workhorse. if we get one which I'm 95% sure we will, it will be used 2 or 3 times a year for the run to france as well as more local and medium distance trips.really pleased to hear that there are no real horror stories regarding reliability providing maintenance schedules are kept up, I know every car has its foibles, but if the driving experience is good who cares! hoping to get something around 2016 as its got to last a long time! many thanks again and I'll let you know how we get on. Oh by the way anyone have an opinion on the 1.6 diesel as there's one not too far from us with 22k on the clock, thought we might take a look .
The giulietta is very solid car I would say as you say keep on top of the important stuff and it'll look after you. I have a cloverleaf and it's stunning to drive and look at , I regularly get people taking a second look when driving past. You won't be disappointed with it.

With the 1.6 it depends which variant of engine as one is more powerful than the other. Some say the 105bhp is a bit underpowered. Depends though have a drive and see what you think.
Saintfunny likes this.
(Post Link) post #12 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

GQV

Quote:
No it doesn't go to an ad it's just one that somebody is selling on here, he says he isn't getting much interest but it seems s nice example
Your link is just going to a random page, I think this is the one you are referring too:
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...tdm-170-a.html (Time to say goodbye... 2011 Giulietta Veloce 2.0 JTDM 170 for sale)
(Post Link) post #13 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdajames View Post
Quote:
Your link is just going to a random page, I think this is the one you are referring too:
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...tdm-170-a.html (Time to say goodbye... 2011 Giulietta Veloce 2.0 JTDM 170 for sale)
Seems to be the same James, it's working for me.
(Post Link) post #14 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Zoo
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Garage
I won't recommend the 1.6 diesel they are noisy and underpowered and ive had 2!!! 2.0 in 170bhp form is highly rated and when coupled with the TCT gearbox are a great car! Lusso trim is OK but Veloce trim or sportiva/nav is the trim you'd want
(Post Link) post #15 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: United Kingdom
Garage
Literally just bought a Giulietta, as my first Alfa. Love it to bits already. Only thing I'd say is look for trim level. I went for Veloce with double sunroof, and am very grateful I did! I tried one without the sunroof and felt quite small and dark, with the black headlining, but sure some would love it. Personally I love cruising with the roof open 🙂
(Post Link) post #16 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: United Kingdom
Garage
Oh and I went for the 1.4MA by the way. Vroom vroom! 🙂
(Post Link) post #17 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Check out Alfa Workshop aswell, they have a buyers guide for most models of Alfa listing most common faults and things to check for.
(Post Link) post #18 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Garage
Welcome to the forum.

I have a 2.0 JTDM 140 Sportiva (Diesel), remapped to 180BHP.

It sounds great (admittedly it also has a full stainless cat back exhaust and an induction kit)
It goes like the absolute clappers
It drives and handles really well (mine is lowered on Eibachs)
It's quite a bit more torquey than the petrols (including the QV)
I get 55mpg combined, and that's with the majority of my driving being a short commute to/from work. The best I've had was 86.9mpg on a trip back to Worcester from Milton Keynes!
It looks fantastic - much nicer than the equivalent A3, Golf, Focus etc in my opinion.

Bad points:

The rear wiring looms on the earlier models are prone to breaking. The top and bottom of the loom housing were directly in line with each other which caused the wires to bend excessively, and eventually break. I believe Alfa sorted this in or around 2013 by repositioning the placement of the looms themselves, so that the top and bottom of the loom housing was offset, and the wires didn't fold back over each other whenever the hatch was closed. Mine is a 2013 and has the later arrangement - I'll post a couple of pictures up so that you can see my G, and the loom arrangement so you know what to look for - the position of the blanking plate in my photo is where the old loom arrangement would have been.

The paint is pretty 'fragile'. But that's not specific to the Giulietta, just Alfas in general - expect to see more than a few stonechips on the bonnet and possibly some road rash around the arches.

In my experience (2 x Giuliettas and a 159), they seem to be quite fussy on wheel alignment and tend to chew through tyres if they're not aligned properly. Easy solution though - just have a 4 wheel alignment done when you get the car (or ask the garage to do one if you're buying from a dealer).

Apart from that, there is nothing to look out for other than what you'd normally look at with any other used car.

Oh, and you'll love it!!

(Post Link) post #19 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Fairly sure the blanking grommet in the picture is same as my mrs’ 2011, the position of loom was changed but still remained in same face of tailgate just further over if I recall correctly
(Post Link) post #20 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyroper View Post
Fairly sure the blanking grommet in the picture is same as my mrsí 2011, the position of loom was changed but still remained in same face of tailgate just further over if I recall correctly
Ah ok, I'd just presumed that as mine was the later arrangement, the blanking grommet was the earlier arrangement.

Every day is a schoolday
(Post Link) post #21 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
The main issue with the diesels is the EGR cooler cover cracking which can cause rapid coolant loss.

Allegedly later cars had a revised part, but I am not sure when this started to be fitted as standard.

Ours cracked 2 months after I bought the car so the selling garage got it sorted for us FOC.
(Post Link) post #22 of 27 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
The main issue with the diesels is the EGR cooler cover cracking which can cause rapid coolant loss.

Allegedly later cars had a revised part, but I am not sure when this started to be fitted as standard.

Ours cracked 2 months after I bought the car so the selling garage got it sorted for us FOC.
well a big thankyou to everyone for their help, we went to look at the blue one with 22k on it today and to be honest we were pretty disappointed with it, it was on a dealers forecourt in leeds and the outside was pretty dirty which wasn't a great start, it had 3 Pirellis and one nexen on which immediately made me think someone had been running it on a tight budget, the battery was flat and when the dealer then jump started it there was a myriad of warning lights came upon the dash which may have been down to the flat battery but by this time despite the dealers reassurances we had a bad feeling about this particular car.
Anyway after a cuppa we decided to take another look at a white one we had seen in Doncaster earlier in the week and after a test drive ,a bit of haggling and receiving confirmation that the end dash moulding would be sorted (it appeared to have become unclipped) we agreed to buy it. so come next Thursday we will be the new owners of a 2016 giulietta 1.6 technica diesel with 43k on the clock, the wife is as happy as Larry and it will soon be put to the test on a 700 mile trip to the limousin, so heres hoping that our first foray into Alfa ownership proves to be as enjoyable as we expect!
thanks again, Neil.
ps. that's a very nice looking car Tully1980!
symon likes this.
(Post Link) post #23 of 27 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

Congrats Moggyman, looking forward to seeing some pictures.

As a side note, my brother is currently restoring a Moggy which is parked on my driveway.

A 1969 1000 saloon with 4 doors. He is currently in the process of welding in new panels as well as new crossmembers into the floor.
(Post Link) post #24 of 27 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Zoo
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
Congrats Moggyman, looking forward to seeing some pictures.

As a side note, my brother is currently restoring a Moggy which is parked on my driveway.

A 1969 1000 saloon with 4 doors. He is currently in the process of welding in new panels as well as new crossmembers into the floor.
I wonder if he just likes cats?
(Post Link) post #25 of 27 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo View Post
I wonder if he just likes cats?
Possibly, but there is a mention of a Moggy minor in the first post.
Zoo likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulietta

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page