MOT Fail - Emissions - Help appreciated! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By symon
  • 2 Post By Tully1980
  • 2 Post By Pud237

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 2 Days Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

159 Ti TBI 200

MOT Fail - Emissions - Help appreciated!

Morning all,

I'm hoping that someone might be able to assist me...

I've got a 2013 Giulietta 2.0JTDM 140.

The car went for MOT yesterday and failed on emissions.

It's since "passed", but I need to get the emissions sorted ASAP, or it will fail again next year and so on.

For information, the car has an EGR Delete (ECU, not a blanking plate) and a Stage 1 remap - both of which were carried out prior to me owning the car.

I'm wondering whether the EGR delete may be causing the issue with the emissions?

If it is, and being as it's an ECU delete, is this an easy thing to rectify by having the EGR 'undeleted' by the garage who put the remap on?

I'm worrying that there may be something else going on which is affecting the emissions which isn't really doing my anxiety any good!

The DPF etc are all present and correct, so to my novice mind the issue would point towards the EGR delete being the culprit, but I just wondered whether anyone else had had a similar experience that they could share?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 5 Old 1 Day Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Ours failed it's MOT last November on visible smoke, despite being in good condition and totally standard.

Was yours failed on smoke also or Nitrogen Dioxide?

The EGR helps reduce Nitrogen production, so if your car failed on that then this could be the cause. But I wasn't aware that it was actually tested for.

I was advised to tip a bottle of injector cleaner in the tank 2 weeks before the next MOT and then take the car for an italian tune up on the way there.
Nickhoughton567 likes this.
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 1 Day Ago
AO Silver Member

County: -
I wouldn’t suspect the egr personally, I have had several diesels with egr deleted from MAP and never had an issue with failing MOT. EGR is more in play when actually driving than when free revving like when they are smoke testing.

What sort of driving do you do does the car get a good run to regen properly and clear it out?
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 1 Day Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

159 Ti TBI 200

Thanks for the replies.

The type of driving I do is commuting (approx. 5-10 miles each way depending on the route I take) with travel up and down the motorway with work. I don't get any smoke from it at all (that I've noticed) and there is nothing else to suggest that it's not running properly (ie. no warning lights or odd behaviour).

I've actually only had the car for a fortnight and in that time it hasn't had a good run up the motorway, with the exception of the day I picked it up when I had to drive around 90 miles home on the M40/M42/M5.

I've spoken to a few people now, all of whom are leaning towards the engine not being sufficiently warmed up prior to the MOT (ie. the italian tune up!). I literally dropped it off at the garage which is just around the corner from me, at 8am. So the car hadn't warmed up at all.

Needless to say that I'm a little less concerned about it than I was when it originally failed. I think I will keep an eye on things and remember to stick some fuel cleaner in before the next MOT, and take it for a razz up and down the motorway before dropping it off!
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 1 Day Ago
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
Ours failed it's MOT last November on visible smoke, despite being in good condition and totally standard.

Was yours failed on smoke also or Nitrogen Dioxide?

The EGR helps reduce Nitrogen production, so if your car failed on that then this could be the cause. But I wasn't aware that it was actually tested for.

I was advised to tip a bottle of injector cleaner in the tank 2 weeks before the next MOT and then take the car for an italian tune up on the way there.
They don't test for Nox on an emissions test. Just smoke opacity. Nox tests will be coming at some point or other but I reckon it'll be years. (And they'll probably take most diesels off the road for good)
symon and Nickhoughton567 like this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulietta

Tags
appreciated , emissions , fail , mot

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page