1.6 JTDM2 Diesel Fuel Filter - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By philbean
  • 1 Post By symon
  • 1 Post By armoore
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
fabiocity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Ireland
County: Cork
Posts: 131
1.6 JTDM2 Diesel Fuel Filter

Hi guys,
The Giulietta is in for it's timing belt service and, because we're not far off of 120,000km, I asked for the fuel filter to be done too.

I bought the UFI diesel filter from Alfa Workshop but, according to the mechanic who is currently under the car, I've bought the wrong filter. He can fit another one so it doesn't hold the service up but I doubt I got it that wrong...

I bought the UFI one here - https://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/parts...l_filter.shtml

It's a 2016 Giulietta...have I missed something obvious here?!
fabiocity is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
(Post Link) post #2 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Status: Stop/Start Not Available
AO Member
 
philbean's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 296
Theres 2 UFI ones on that page.
The top one is a metal thingy. The bottom one is an uncovered filter thingy.

As far as I know, its easy to tell which need. When you look under the bonnet, on the left hand side is where the metal one goes. Can't miss it.
If its not there then it must be the uncovered filter thingy one.. which goes under the engine cover
philbean is offline  
(Post Link) post #3 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
fabiocity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Ireland
County: Cork
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by philbean View Post
Theres 2 UFI ones on that page.
The top one is a metal thingy. The bottom one is an uncovered filter thingy.

As far as I know, its easy to tell which need. When you look under the bonnet, on the left hand side is where the metal one goes. Can't miss it.
If its not there then it must be the uncovered filter thingy one.. which goes under the engine cover
Aye. I think I worked it out. I looked at one of the Alfa Workshop guides. The guide shows that you remove 6 allen bolts from the metal canister and the filter element/thingy sits in there. Maybe the mechanic saw it and thought I'd forgotten the filter element or something. It's a job I think I might do myself next time actually.
fabiocity is offline  
(Post Link) post #4 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Status: zzzzzzzz
AO Platinum Member
 
symon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Posts: 37,026
I have a feeling that the uncovered one goes in the fuel tank where as the one you want is the metal one which sits up the front.

It is very easy to do yourself, just don't do as I did and not clip one of the hoses on correctly...

You will also need to change the sensor over from the bottom of your old filter onto the new one.
symon is offline  
(Post Link) post #5 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
fabiocity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Ireland
County: Cork
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
I have a feeling that the uncovered one goes in the fuel tank where as the one you want is the metal one which sits up the front.

It is very easy to do yourself, just don't do as I did and not clip one of the hoses on correctly...

You will also need to change the sensor over from the bottom of your old filter onto the new one.
Oooo. So there are two fuel filters then? If so, I'm at a loss to say which one was actually done...
fabiocity is offline  
(Post Link) post #6 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Status: Still going strong.
AO Silver Member
 
armoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: United Kingdom
County: Surrey
Posts: 5,093
The 'bare' filter is an insert that still goes next to the engine but the housing it is in is dismantled to fit it. Click on the blue text next to the picture in the link you have and you'll see how it is done.
As philbean said, it is under the engine cover.
https://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/Giuli...lacement.shtml
armoore is offline  
(Post Link) post #7 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
fabiocity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Ireland
County: Cork
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by armoore View Post
The 'bare' filter is an insert that still goes next to the engine but the housing it is in is dismantled to fit it. Click on the blue text next to the picture in the link you have and you'll see how it is done.
As philbean said, it is under the engine cover.
https://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/Giuli...lacement.shtml
I reckon this is the case in this instance. Maybe they saw the canister and thought it didn't have an element in it, and so, put in a new filter element of their own sourcing and gave me back the nice shiney UFI filter canister unused. As long as the fuel filter is done, I don't mind too much.
fabiocity is offline  
(Post Link) post #8 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Status: Stop/Start Not Available
AO Member
 
philbean's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 296
Now I'm confused.. and I was about to attempt this myself soon.

I thought the G had either the metal filter OR the bare one that goes under the engine cover.

Is that correct? or does every diesel G have BOTH ?

And if so... do you need to change both at the same time then?

ta
philbean is offline  
(Post Link) post #9 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
fabiocity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Ireland
County: Cork
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by philbean View Post
Now I'm confused.. and I was about to attempt this myself soon.

I thought the G had either the metal filter OR the bare one that goes under the engine cover.

Is that correct? or does every diesel G have BOTH ?

And if so... do you need to change both at the same time then?

ta
So far as I can tell Phil, the bare one you refer to slots IN to the metal canister (which you can see here with the guy taking the top off of it: https://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/images/580-3-800.jpg).

I'll take a look at the G when I go home and see if I can find out more for you but, basically, the garage gave me back the metal UFI one and, as far as I know, put a new filter element into the metal canister that is already there.
fabiocity is offline  
(Post Link) post #10 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Status: Stop/Start Not Available
AO Member
 
philbean's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 296
Nah they're deffo 2 completely different things. Looking at the guides on the Alfa Workshop site. They go in different places.

Its odd. Even when you put your reg in at EuroCarParts... both the items come up as the correct fuel filter.

All the Youtube videos I've seen though only ever mention the metal cannister one. No mention of the under-enginecover one.
fabiocity likes this.
philbean is offline  
(Post Link) post #11 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Status: zzzzzzzz
AO Platinum Member
 
symon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Posts: 37,026
Mine definitely has a metal cannister which cannot be opened. Its a 2.0 170 EU5


It should be easy enough to see what you have? The metal one in mine is in full view.
fabiocity likes this.
symon is offline  
(Post Link) post #12 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Status: Still going strong.
AO Silver Member
 
armoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: United Kingdom
County: Surrey
Posts: 5,093
Metal one is in full view as Symon says, one with the bare filter element is also in the engine bay but is under the engine cover inside a metal domed fitting that has to be removed and dismantled to change the element. My daughter's Fiat 500 manual showed something similar, one was an element and the canister top had to be unscrewed to replace, other was a complete metal canister replaced in one go. Depended on which Euro spec the engine was. The oil filter was the same, a choice of two entirely different types.

It is one or the other, not both. French cars were notorious for having two different options for brakes, alternator, starter motor etc. You needed to know which was used before buying as although it should have been a 50-50 chance it wasn't, invariably it was the wrong one. Believe it was all to do with ensuring supply of components in the event of a hiccup.
fabiocity likes this.
armoore is offline  
(Post Link) post #13 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
fabiocity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Ireland
County: Cork
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by armoore View Post
Metal one is in full view as Symon says, one with the bare filter element is also in the engine bay but is under the engine cover inside a metal domed fitting that has to be removed and dismantled to change the element. My daughter's Fiat 500 manual showed something similar, one was an element and the canister top had to be unscrewed to replace, other was a complete metal canister replaced in one go. Depended on which Euro spec the engine was. The oil filter was the same, a choice of two entirely different types.

It is one or the other, not both. French cars were notorious for having two different options for brakes, alternator, starter motor etc. You needed to know which was used before buying as although it should have been a 50-50 chance it wasn't, invariably it was the wrong one. Believe it was all to do with ensuring supply of components in the event of a hiccup.
Ah ok, as long as it's one or the other I'm happy cos it means the job was done right. Last thing I wanted to hear was "there are two diesel filters in that car, the dealership must only have done one!".
fabiocity is offline  
(Post Link) post #14 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
fabiocity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Ireland
County: Cork
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
Mine definitely has a metal cannister which cannot be opened. Its a 2.0 170 EU5


It should be easy enough to see what you have? The metal one in mine is in full view.
I'm fairly sure mine is Euro 6 so maybe has a different filter then....
fabiocity is offline  
(Post Link) post #15 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Status: Stop/Start Not Available
AO Member
 
philbean's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by armoore View Post
It is one or the other, not both. French cars were notorious for having two different options for brakes, alternator, starter motor etc. You needed to know which was used before buying as although it should have been a 50-50 chance it wasn't, invariably it was the wrong one. Believe it was all to do with ensuring supply of components in the event of a hiccup.

Great stuff.
Mines the metal can thank god. £30 on ebay. Jobs-a-good-un.
philbean is offline  
(Post Link) post #16 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Zoo
Status: TCT Changed my life!
AO Silver Member
 
Zoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Surrey
Posts: 4,869
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by armoore View Post
French cars were notorious for having two different options for brakes, alternator, starter motor etc.

French cars can do one! had a 206 in yesterday 4 blooming options for oil filters and no info from Euro's
Zoo is offline  
(Post Link) post #17 of 17 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
fabiocity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Ireland
County: Cork
Posts: 131
1.6 JTDM2 Diesel Fuel Filter

I took a look under the bonnet and, I think, the fuel filter element goes inside this canister. Just for those of you wondering...
fabiocity is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulietta

Tags
diesel , filter , fuel , jtdm2

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome