Looking for some advice on buying a used Giulietta - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 9Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 36 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Status: -
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
County: -
Posts: 5
Looking for some advice on buying a used Giulietta

Hi everyone

So right now I have a 1.4L Grande Punto, which I've had since I passed my test 7 years ago.

I'm looking to get another car, and the Giulietta is my first choice. I have a few questions though.

Firstly, I live in an area with a lot of hills, and often drive it around town. But monday-friday I also drive to work and back (12 miles each way). Not too fussed about speed really though. Should I be looking at the 1.4 (Multiair?) or a diesel version (1.6 or 2.0)?

Secondly, is there any particular year I should target? I see they updated the car in 2014, but not sure exactly what. Were these big changes? Just to the exterior/interior or to the actual mechanics as well? I was thinking about just getting an older one (11-12) with 60-100k miles, because most of the value has gone, and then expecting I would probably need to spend up to £1k to fix any issues straight away.

Which brings me onto my next question... is there going to be a huge increase in running costs? Not so much petrol and insurance, but things like servicing and MOTs? I use a mechanic who we know pretty well, and he is pretty reliable and doesn't overcharge. I would probably get most of the work done by him, not an Alfa garage.

Thanks for any advice.
alfanoob123 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
(Post Link) post #2 of 36 Old 1 Week Ago
Status: Petrol head
AO Platinum Member
 
cue2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 31,186
The Giulietta is pretty reliable so shouldn’t be any different in approaching the time when parts need replacing to any other car of the size. Any car takes a fall in value the day it becomes 6 years old for this reason but buying one that’s been well looked after should be a good bet. Check the tailgate wires and that the correct oil has always been used, especially the MA of which I had two from new with no problems. There’s plenty of info on here too.
Saintfunny likes this.
cue2 is offline  
(Post Link) post #3 of 36 Old 1 Week Ago
Status: zzzzzzzz
AO Platinum Member
 
symon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Posts: 36,925
We have a 170bhp diesel, and apart from being a bit noisy outside the car is a brilliant engine.

Huge amounts of torque and easily 50mpg + on a run.

Motorway driving is at around 2000 rpm and its very relaxing.

It is just coming upto 100,000 miles now and the engine seems to still be getting better and better.

Handling wise, if you have decent tyres fitted you can pretty much throw it into any corner and it will just stick with no drama.
duemila likes this.
symon is offline  
(Post Link) post #4 of 36 Old 1 Week Ago
Status: -
AO Traders
 
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Norfolk
Posts: 566

Member car:

Alfa

Hi.
If you did have any issues with insurance for any vehicle you're looking at then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
[email protected] FLUX is offline  
(Post Link) post #5 of 36 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Status: -
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
County: -
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
The Giulietta is pretty reliable so shouldn’t be any different in approaching the time when parts need replacing to any other car of the size. Any car takes a fall in value the day it becomes 6 years old for this reason but buying one that’s been well looked after should be a good bet. Check the tailgate wires and that the correct oil has always been used, especially the MA of which I had two from new with no problems. There’s plenty of info on here too.
Do you suggest paying more for a >2014 model?

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
We have a 170bhp diesel, and apart from being a bit noisy outside the car is a brilliant engine.

Huge amounts of torque and easily 50mpg + on a run.

Motorway driving is at around 2000 rpm and its very relaxing.

It is just coming upto 100,000 miles now and the engine seems to still be getting better and better.

Handling wise, if you have decent tyres fitted you can pretty much throw it into any corner and it will just stick with no drama.
Did you buy it brand new? What year is it?
alfanoob123 is offline  
(Post Link) post #6 of 36 Old 1 Week Ago
Status: zzzzzzzz
AO Platinum Member
 
symon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Posts: 36,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfanoob123 View Post

Did you buy it brand new? What year is it?
It is a late 2010, I bought it in 2015 with 60,000 miles on the clock.

I have replaced the dampers with Bilstein B4 as the originals were shot, and the EGR cooler cover has been replaced (common fault on Diesels)

The 2014 models have a few small improvements, but they are fundamentally the same car.

Updates were for emissions (Euro 6) and some of the interior materials were improved.

Some of the engines were down rated power wise.
symon is offline  
(Post Link) post #7 of 36 Old 1 Week Ago
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
County: Nottinghamshire
Posts: 234

Member car:

GQV

Given your location and general mileage, I’d suggest the 1.4 Multiair. Great engine, lots of fun of twists and turns and shouldn’t kill your insurance.
Higher miles and older cars wouldn’t worry me but full service history, especially regarding oil with regard to the multiair unit are critical, they are very fussy with the grade of oil, that said asssuming it is all in order, they are very reliable cars.
You shouldn’t have to expect a big bill buying old either, there’s re lots out there so buying carefully should ensure you get a good one.

I’d also suggest joining the AROC group and the alfabook enthusiasts group on Facebook too, tonnes of advice and there are often members selling theirs too, I’d have much more comfort buying from an enthusiast knowing how important oil specs are etc.

Good luck
cue2 likes this.
jdajames is offline  
(Post Link) post #8 of 36 Old 1 Week Ago
Status: Living The Dream!
AO Silver Member
 
W1NST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Preston
County: Lancashire
Posts: 1,487
I’d go for a 2014 facelift. Good unconnect touch screen infotainment system, more soundproofing, more comfortable seats and less problems with rattling internal door trims. Did 70000 miles in a 2015 175 tct diesel Exclusive. Still miss it - damn fine car!
W1NST is offline  
(Post Link) post #9 of 36 Old 1 Week Ago
Status: Back in benzina...
AO Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Dublin
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by W1NST View Post
I’d go for a 2014 facelift. Good unconnect touch screen infotainment system, more soundproofing, more comfortable seats and less problems with rattling internal door trims. Did 70000 miles in a 2015 175 tct diesel Exclusive. Still miss it - damn fine car!
As above, 2014 facelift if you can afford it; better seats and interior improvements. The diesel engines are strong if you're doing higher mileage but a bit noisy, the Multiair is a fantastic engine all round and more suitable than the diesel for shorter trips. Make sure it has a good service history but the Giulietta is a very reliable and under rated car, still looks good too! I'm about to buy my third one...
krusty is offline  
(Post Link) post #10 of 36 Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter
Status: -
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
County: -
Posts: 5
Thanks for the replies everyone. Found a nice 2014 2L, but hoping to find a good 1.4 petrol instead, especially as it's pretty far away.

And agreed about the looks, that's the main reason I'd prefer a Giulietta over a boring Golf or Fiesta
alfanoob123 is offline  
Status: -
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
County: -
Posts: 1
Hmmm Bph

Sort of connected to this thread - I currently have a 2010 Giuiletta Lusso which is 170 bhp. Its done over 100K and I'm ready to trade it in. There don't seem to be many 170 bhp Giuliettas around. Would I notice much difference if I went for a 150 bhp? I love the car I have at present but feel now is the time to get a newer one and don't want to make the wrong choice. Any advice would be gratefully received.
Cadetniven1 is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hertfordshire
Posts: 288
I looked at a 150BHP, its a cracking engine, many say better to drive than the 170....
Saintfunny likes this.
Richard H is offline  
(Post Link) post #13 of 36 Old 5 Days Ago Thread Starter
Status: -
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
County: -
Posts: 5
Yea there's much more choice with second hand diesels it seems. I would prefer the petrol engine, but I think I'd settle for a diesel if it's the right car
alfanoob123 is offline  
Status: zzzzzzzz
AO Platinum Member
 
symon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Posts: 36,925
The main issue with the diesel is the horrible noise, which you can hear when you start up and when going slowly.

Once you are on the move you cannot hear it, and motorway trips are very refined.

Buy you will never get less than 40mpg no matter how you drive it, and they do cope with shorter trips pretty well as the DPF is close coupled and can regenerate at tickover speeds. Unlike some of the earlier generation of DPF equipped diesels like the 159 1.9 and 2.4 which need to be run at a decent speed to regenerate correctly.

Giulietta 2.0JTDm (170), BMW 335i Cabrio
symon is offline  
(Post Link) post #15 of 36 Old 5 Days Ago Thread Starter
Status: -
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
County: -
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
The main issue with the diesel is the horrible noise, which you can hear when you start up and when going slowly.

Once you are on the move you cannot hear it, and motorway trips are very refined.

Buy you will never get less than 40mpg no matter how you drive it, and they do cope with shorter trips pretty well as the DPF is close coupled and can regenerate at tickover speeds. Unlike some of the earlier generation of DPF equipped diesels like the 159 1.9 and 2.4 which need to be run at a decent speed to regenerate correctly.
It's about a 30-40 minute trip in traffic (11-12 miles) to and back from work every day. A couple times a month I drive about 20-25 miles

Would that be sufficient to clear the DPF?
alfanoob123 is offline  
Status: zzzzzzzz
AO Platinum Member
 
symon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Posts: 36,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfanoob123 View Post
It's about a 30-40 minute trip in traffic (11-12 miles) to and back from work every day. A couple times a month I drive about 20-25 miles

Would that be sufficient to clear the DPF?
That would be fine. My Mrs does 8 miles each way to work in ours, with the very occasional longer trip and it has been fine.
symon is offline  
Zoo
Status: TCT Changed my life!
AO Silver Member
 
Zoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Surrey
Posts: 4,855
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfanoob123 View Post
Yea there's much more choice with second hand diesels it seems. I would prefer the petrol engine, but I think I'd settle for a diesel if it's the right car
I went from a few diesels to the 1.4 170 petrol, the cost of fuel for me is double but i'd never go back to diesel as the petrol sound and drivability is much nicer!

I have the TCT gearbox mated to the 1.4 multiair 2014 MY - love it
Zoo is offline  
Status: I wanted to stay in the EU
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
County: -
Posts: 1,211

Member car:

Guilietta

I have a 2010 2.0jtdm2 with 84,000 miles on the clock and the car flies, I love the front end nose weight of the car and I had a 147 JTD before, it goes around corners like its on rails but others on here like the lighter front ended petrol cars. The 147 needed a new front antiroll bar and bushes around my G's mileage but we don't seem to have that problem yet? I've only ever driven a 2.0 Selespeed petrol 147 for about half an hour so don't really know what the difference may be, I loved the shifts though. Before the 147 I would have never considered buying a diesel, but fuel prices might also become an influence in your decision. You might even get a decent 147 GTA for the price of a low mileage 2014 giulietta and I know where my feet would vote on that occasion.
Isotope is offline  
Status: I wanted to stay in the EU
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
County: -
Posts: 1,211

Member car:

Guilietta

Forget my last comment cheapest GTA I can find is £8.5k!!
Isotope is offline  
Status: Quo
AO Member
 
Saintfunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
County: Sussex-
Posts: 85
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfanoob123 View Post
Hi everyone

So right now I have a 1.4L Grande Punto, which I've had since I passed my test 7 years ago.

I'm looking to get another car, and the Giulietta is my first choice. I have a few questions though.

Firstly, I live in an area with a lot of hills, and often drive it around town. But monday-friday I also drive to work and back (12 miles each way). Not too fussed about speed really though. Should I be looking at the 1.4 (Multiair?) or a diesel version (1.6 or 2.0)?

Secondly, is there any particular year I should target? I see they updated the car in 2014, but not sure exactly what. Were these big changes? Just to the exterior/interior or to the actual mechanics as well? I was thinking about just getting an older one (11-12) with 60-100k miles, because most of the value has gone, and then expecting I would probably need to spend up to £1k to fix any issues straight away.

Which brings me onto my next question... is there going to be a huge increase in running costs? Not so much petrol and insurance, but things like servicing and MOTs? I use a mechanic who we know pretty well, and he is pretty reliable and doesn't overcharge. I would probably get most of the work done by him, not an Alfa garage.

Thanks for any advice.
I would look for a 150 MA petrol 2014 onwards, they feel more complete than the 170 MA, they are reasonably priced and are reliable if you look after them.
Your only gripe will be secretly wanting a 1750 TBi. 😉
cnut and Mr Sunseeker like this.
Saintfunny is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
County: -
Posts: 273
Be sure you take it for a proper test drive and really evaluate the "small" things that can annoy in the long run like seating position and how the car feels to drive. I'm going to sell my Giulietta because I'm tired of sitting in a poor driving position and banging my knee on the plastic under the steering wheel. I'm also tired of how the car is to drive when you set off (known "issue" on the 170MA).

Just going to do the 72k mile service first.
jomper is offline  
Status: zzzzzzzz
AO Platinum Member
 
symon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Posts: 36,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomper View Post
Be sure you take it for a proper test drive and really evaluate the "small" things that can annoy in the long run like seating position and how the car feels to drive. I'm going to sell my Giulietta because I'm tired of sitting in a poor driving position and banging my knee on the plastic under the steering wheel. I'm also tired of how the car is to drive when you set off (known "issue" on the 170MA).

Just going to do the 72k mile service first.
I must admit I find the driving position uncomfortable too.

It is fine on shorter trips but on a longer run it leaves my ankles in pain.

The seating position (Too high) leaves your ankles at an uncomfortable angle in relation to the pedals and there isn't enough room to get your left leg over enough either.

If I am being really picky the head restraints tip forwards too much as well, so you cannot get your head back far enough in some instances.

I still like the car though, despite it's niggles.
symon is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
County: -
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
I must admit I find the driving position uncomfortable too.

It is fine on shorter trips but on a longer run it leaves my ankles in pain.

The seating position (Too high) leaves your ankles at an uncomfortable angle in relation to the pedals and there isn't enough room to get your left leg over enough either.

If I am being really picky the head restraints tip forwards too much as well, so you cannot get your head back far enough in some instances.

I still like the car though, despite it's niggles.
Yeah I'm 192 cm with long legs which means that I pretty much sit with my legs in a 90 degree angle with my right knee constantly touching the cowel for the ignition switch as soon as I move. I'm a bit worried what will happen if I ever crash. I reckon it's goodbye knees. . I did actually notice pretty early on that I really would have wanted the steering wheel to extend further, but thought that I was just being picky. Almost a year later I wish I had listened to myself. The seat itself is a bit short for my torso, so it doesn't really align with how my torso is meaning that I can't really lean back fully and rest my head on the head restraints as comfortably as I'd like, but I'm kinda used to that as most cars aren't really made for tall people.
That being said, both the Lexus IS300h and the Lexus GS that I test drove a couple of weeks ago both had fantastic seats. My MiTo also has a much better seating position, but the seats themselves are pretty hard.
jomper is offline  
Status: zzzzzzzz
AO Platinum Member
 
symon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Posts: 36,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomper View Post
Yeah I'm 192 cm with long legs which means that I pretty much sit with my legs in a 90 degree angle with my right knee constantly touching the cowel for the ignition switch as soon as I move. I'm a bit worried what will happen if I ever crash. I reckon it's goodbye knees. . I did actually notice pretty early on that I really would have wanted the steering wheel to extend further, but thought that I was just being picky. Almost a year later I wish I had listened to myself. The seat itself is a bit short for my torso, so it doesn't really align with how my torso is meaning that I can't really lean back fully and rest my head on the head restraints as comfortably as I'd like, but I'm kinda used to that as most cars aren't really made for tall people.
That being said, both the Lexus IS300h and the Lexus GS that I test drove a couple of weeks ago both had fantastic seats. My MiTo also has a much better seating position, but the seats themselves are pretty hard.
You are a bit taller than me, as I'm only 182cm.

But some cars do seem to be designed for a much smaller person. My Mrs is 148cm and she finds the Giulietta's driving position just fine.

I think they fitted smaller seats to give the impression of greater interior space, and there is definitely some compromise to the driving position due to right hand drive.
jomper and Saintfunny like this.
symon is offline  
Status: Quo
AO Member
 
Saintfunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
County: Sussex-
Posts: 85
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
You are a bit taller than me, as I'm only 182cm.

But some cars do seem to be designed for a much smaller person. My Mrs is 148cm and she finds the Giulietta's driving position just fine.

I think they fitted smaller seats to give the impression of greater interior space, and there is definitely some compromise to the driving position due to right hand drive.
I get this, I'm 180cm & although my Giulietta is really comfy, the seat is set at it's lowest setting & the wheel almost the same, I wonder if the ones from the QV would be any different?
Saintfunny is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulietta

Tags
advice , buying , giulietta

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome