New giuliette, some issues - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 10Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 73 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Status: -
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
County: -
Posts: 20
New giuliette, some issues

Hi to all

Just bought a few days ago a used Giuiette 2011, 2.0 from a dealer in the UK. Test drove it, seemed to be ok.
Obviously if something comes up it HAS to be after you drive off.
The next day I realized that it seems the AC not to be working. It can get the air warm but can not get it cold at all. What are the chances that it just needs gas and how likely it is that there is a more sinister damage to it?

Day after that noticed the mileage flashing thing (I am not sure if it existed from the day I got it, but it would be hard to understand at the moment that the flashing had a diagnostic component to it). I tried to do a lot of reading about it. And I probably tied it to a blue&me issue. The "window" and "telephone/bluetooth" buttons don't seem to respond (initially I thought the buttons were just fubared), the aux/usb buttons light up and are usable, and the rest of the buttons seem to work ok. Does that mean that the blue&me unit is just malfunctioning and needs a replacement? If so how do I do it? I spent a fair amount of time today to find any schematics, video or anything but not luck whatsoever. Also the AM radio channels seem to work but the FM not at all. Only today when I was in a different town I was able to locate ONE station. Related?

Also as an aside, I noticed a random cable that plugs into the cigarette lighter, I traced it and I saw that it goes towards the glove compartment, then underneath the plastics on the borders between the windscreen and the passenger's door and from there going upwards to the roof. (didn't follow it any further as I don't wanna take something out that I might not be able to put back the way it is). Plugging that thing or not hasn't made a noticable difference. It is obviously a modification and not something official but what the hell could it be?

Anyone has any idea of some of these issues as least to guide me in the proper direction of what could be going on?
Anthos is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
(Post Link) post #2 of 73 Old 1 Week Ago
Status: -
AO Member
 
Pokerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: At Work
County: West Yorkshire-
Posts: 114
Hi welcome. If its from a dealer take it back asap and ask them to fix the issues you have mentioned, they should resolve the issues for you.

You could try to disconnect the battery for 30 mins to reset the radio. I know how to on ths uconnect but not the older system.

Dont mess with it express your concerns to the dealer and I'm sure they will sort it.

Brilliant choice though 😄
Pokerking is offline  
(Post Link) post #3 of 73 Old 1 Week Ago
Status: Petrol head
AO Platinum Member
 
cue2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 30,863
If the AC needs refrigerant and holds it when refilled thatís fine but a car of that age may not.
Itís possible thereís a leak especially if the previous owner/s have tried to economise by switching it off at times.
cue2 is offline  
(Post Link) post #4 of 73 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Status: -
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
County: -
Posts: 20
I ll try to contact them and see how they respond. They were a bit rude when I was at the dealership so I doubt they will be much helpful. For the bluetooth I don't really mind thaaat much but it would be nice to have as at the end of the day it was advertised as having one. But the ac is gonna be an issue if something like the compressor is busted. What would be ny options if they fail to comply with addressing any of the issues? (I ve only recently moved to the UK which makes things a bit more difficult if you aren't from around here)
Anthos is offline  
(Post Link) post #5 of 73 Old 1 Week Ago
Status: Christmas came early, now waiting for summer
Club Member
Membro Medio
 
silverevo's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 1857
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 572

Member car:

Giulietta Veloce

The random cable could be power for a dash cam is my guess. behind the rear view mirror is there a cable with a plug there thats not plugged into anything either. Have a feel at the front of the roof lining where it meets the windscreen, it could be tucked in there out of the way. I think you can put your finger in there and run it along to see if you can feel anything.
silverevo is offline  
(Post Link) post #6 of 73 Old 1 Week Ago
Status: Needs cleaning
AO Member
 
Iron Wizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cambridgeshire
Posts: 623
As said above you should go back to the dealer. You have legal rights but you must not try to fix it yourself before giving the dealer the opportunity, as that would allow them to argue that you caused the problem.

Be prepared for them to say that you should have noticed any fault before buying, but I think you can argue that it’s unreasonable to expect you to check everything.

The Consumer Rights Act gives 30 days in which you can return the car for a refund if you’re unhappy. A local Citizens Advice Bureau can give more detailed advice.
Iron Wizard is offline  
(Post Link) post #7 of 73 Old 1 Week Ago
Status: -
AO Member
 
Pokerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: At Work
County: West Yorkshire-
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthos View Post
I ll try to contact them and see how they respond. They were a bit rude when I was at the dealership so I doubt they will be much helpful. For the bluetooth I don't really mind thaaat much but it would be nice to have as at the end of the day it was advertised as having one. But the ac is gonna be an issue if something like the compressor is busted. What would be ny options if they fail to comply with addressing any of the issues? (I ve only recently moved to the UK which makes things a bit more difficult if you aren't from around here)
Honestly if you bought it from a dealer and not some guy who sells cars on a grass corner you should be able to get them to sort it out. It may seem awkward but persist keep phoning them or if there local drive down.

I bought a 306 way back when I passed my test 15 years ago. Wiper motor failed the next day. Was a struggle but they replaced it.

Where abouts in the UK are you?
Pokerking is offline  
(Post Link) post #8 of 73 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Status: -
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
County: -
Posts: 20
I did contact them and they were fairly willing to help. They said to take it to any garage I know to have a look and if it is something worse going on to let them (dealer) know and to take care of it. I ll take it to some ac specialists nearby me over the weekend and have them check the ac and have a look at the bluetooth as well. I live in Kettering by the way.

This is the "weird" wire.

I appreciate your advices.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190710_134227_1562763621449.jpg (28.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 20190710_134305_1562763644277.jpg (56.3 KB, 47 views)
Anthos is offline  
(Post Link) post #9 of 73 Old 1 Week Ago
Status: -
AO Member
 
Pokerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: At Work
County: West Yorkshire-
Posts: 114
Looks like they have tapped into the 12v cigarette socket to run a dashcam rather than feeding a fuse tap from the fuse box.

Can you take a picture of the 12v cigarette socket? Interested how they have wired it up.

Or is it just a plug that goes into the socket?
Pokerking is offline  
Status: A/C repaired hopefully
AO Silver Member
 
TonyGr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Scunthorpe
County: Lincolnshire
Posts: 4,391
Garage
Not good news but yesterday I had the condenser replaced on my 2011 Giullietta. The A/C had stopped working and it was found to be a leak in the condenser. This is vulnerable to stone damage being in the very front just behind the grille. The Indie (Independent Alfa Specialist) that did it said that at 8 years old he was not surprised and that it is not rare for this to happen. As Cue2 says if it has merely lost gas through age then a regas will fix it. Mine was regassed two yeas ago and everything was fine until last September. Didn't need it through the winter so left it until the service in June. When it was regassed the leak was apparent (the dye they inject with the gas shows up under UV light) and while it worked initially it had stopped within two weeks just in time for that hot spell we had at the end of June

Procrastination is the thief of time
TonyGr is offline  
Status: Incurable alfaholic
AO Member
 
147Alfaguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Sydney
County: Australia
Posts: 143
Give the aircon some use at least once each month to keep the seals moist, otherwise you’re likely to get a leak. Have a read of the manual.
cue2 likes this.
147Alfaguy is offline  
Status: A/C repaired hopefully
AO Silver Member
 
TonyGr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Scunthorpe
County: Lincolnshire
Posts: 4,391
Garage
I agree and I leave it on permanently but in my case the leak was in the middle of the condenser. Nothing obvious to see but it must have been hit by a stone chipping. This is likely given the state of the front after eight years.
147Alfaguy likes this.
TonyGr is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Sussex
County: East Sussex-
Posts: 11

Member car:

170hp JTDM

Looks like a dash cam lead as well. Just tuck it away and forget about it. Take it back to the dealer with the list of faults, give them 1 chance to fix them then reject it.

What G is it, age, mileage, price?
jtdm2 is offline  
Status: Petrol head
AO Platinum Member
 
cue2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 30,863
Itís a 2011 car. When I was 47 years old I bought a new 2011 Giulietta.
Iím now 55 so I donít think that car is ďnewĒ!
cue2 is offline  
Status: A/C repaired hopefully
AO Silver Member
 
TonyGr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Scunthorpe
County: Lincolnshire
Posts: 4,391
Garage
Come come. There's not that much difference between 47 and 55. Surely you are not feeling your age that much. After all Eighty is the new Seventy so you have a quarter of a century to go before you are old.

I agree though that an eight year old car is not new, but it is not old. However back in 1981, when, I assume you learnt to drive, cars did not last as long as they do today and eight would have been considered getting on to banger stage but today my eight year old Giulietta that I bought, ex demonstrator with 2,300 miles, has just passed 88,000 miles and is going strong having had a multiair transplant and a new a/c condenser as the only major items of none routine maintenance work and it seems as if it could go on for at least the same again.
TonyGr is offline  
Status: Petrol head
AO Platinum Member
 
cue2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 30,863
Exactly. The AC condenser is old after 8 years especially if its clutch has been on and off with too much time off. (Somebody explained it to me once)
And no I don’t feel old. Or forgetful. What was I saying?
cue2 is offline  
Status: A/C repaired hopefully
AO Silver Member
 
TonyGr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Scunthorpe
County: Lincolnshire
Posts: 4,391
Garage
The condenser doesn't have a clutch that is in the compressor. It is suspected that my condenser sprang a leak after being hit with a stone although there was no real visible damage at that point although other stone damage could be seen. Comes of being mounted at the very front just behind the grill. Hopefully the compressor will continue to perform as it is at present
TonyGr is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
dgmayhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: United Kingdom
County: Gwynedd
Posts: 2,216
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the flashing odometer mean the car needs a proxy reset. This was the case for 147 and GT.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
dgmayhead is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
dgmayhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: United Kingdom
County: Gwynedd
Posts: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmayhead View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the flashing odometer mean the car needs a proxy reset. This was the case for 147 and GT.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
Get this done and many of the radio issues could be solved. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
dgmayhead is offline  
Status: Petrol head
AO Platinum Member
 
cue2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 30,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGr View Post
The condenser doesn't have a clutch that is in the compressor. It is suspected that my condenser sprang a leak after being hit with a stone although there was no real visible damage at that point although other stone damage could be seen. Comes of being mounted at the very front just behind the grill. Hopefully the compressor will continue to perform as it is at present
I have a condenser , if that the radiator-like part, new in box if anybody needs one. Traded the car before having it fitted.
cue2 is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
dgmayhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: United Kingdom
County: Gwynedd
Posts: 2,216
And. What does your external temp sensor read? If it's reading wrong the air con won't work.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
dgmayhead is offline  
Status: I wanted to stay in the EU
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
County: -
Posts: 1,167

Member car:

Guilietta

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmayhead View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the flashing odometer mean the car needs a proxy reset. This was the case for 147 and GT.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
Correct, MES calls it a Proxy re-alignment, it may be something has been added to the Canbus that wasn't part of the original car or something has died
Isotope is offline  
Status: I wanted to stay in the EU
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
County: -
Posts: 1,167

Member car:

Guilietta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthos View Post
I did contact them and they were fairly willing to help. They said to take it to any garage I know to have a look and if it is something worse going on to let them (dealer) know and to take care of it. I ll take it to some ac specialists nearby me over the weekend and have them check the ac and have a look at the bluetooth as well. I live in Kettering by the way.

This is the "weird" wire.

I appreciate your advices.
I would take it back to the dealer you bought it from, if you use anyone else and inform them of it you may be waiving their obligation to supply something fit for purpose. The flashing mileage indicator will require more than disconnecting the battery to reset it. It will require some sort of software to perform a reset, and an EOBD scanner will not reset that as it can usually only clear MIL light errors. If you still have no joy from the dealer I might be able to help you next weekend as in 9 days away as I have the software to do the checks.

The weird wire? That is the exact same route my dashcam power supply goes so I think as others have already said it will probably end with a micro usb plug at some point near the mirror.
Isotope is offline  
(Post Link) post #24 of 73 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Status: -
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
County: -
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokerking View Post
Looks like they have tapped into the 12v cigarette socket to run a dashcam rather than feeding a fuse tap from the fuse box.

Can you take a picture of the 12v cigarette socket? Interested how they have wired it up.

Or is it just a plug that goes into the socket?
It just plugs into the socket. It has the standard type 12V connector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdm2 View Post
Looks like a dash cam lead as well. Just tuck it away and forget about it. Take it back to the dealer with the list of faults, give them 1 chance to fix them then reject it.

What G is it, age, mileage, price?
2011, 2.0 140HP, Diesel, 120K, 2500GBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
Itís a 2011 car. When I was 47 years old I bought a new 2011 Giulietta.
Iím now 55 so I donít think that car is ďnewĒ!
Obviously in this context "new" was meant to imply new in possession to me. I am under no disillusion of the car's age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmayhead View Post
And. What does your external temp sensor read? If it's reading wrong the air con won't work.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
Seems to give more or less the expected ambient temperatures during various points of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isotope View Post
I would take it back to the dealer you bought it from, if you use anyone else and inform them of it you may be waiving their obligation to supply something fit for purpose. The flashing mileage indicator will require more than disconnecting the battery to reset it. It will require some sort of software to perform a reset, and an EOBD scanner will not reset that as it can usually only clear MIL light errors. If you still have no joy from the dealer I might be able to help you next weekend as in 9 days away as I have the software to do the checks.

The weird wire? That is the exact same route my dashcam power supply goes so I think as others have already said it will probably end with a micro usb plug at some point near the mirror.
I've been in contact with the dealer through e-mail and I have in writing his "advice" to seek my own garage or someone he can refer me to, to have the car checked out. In theory that should be ok, right?
Anthos is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
dgmayhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: United Kingdom
County: Gwynedd
Posts: 2,216
Well it looks like a proxy reset is the first task.
Then unless you can get the seller involved in repairs I'd be tempted to just enjoy the car as it is.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
dgmayhead is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulietta

Tags
giuliette , issues

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome