New tires for Giulietta 1.4 MA 170hp - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By sYlt
  • 1 Post By [email protected]
  • 1 Post By adf83
  • 1 Post By kingbiscit
  • 1 Post By Mash1138
  • 1 Post By PortnoyMA
  • 1 Post By dgmayhead

(Post Link) post #1 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

County: Portugal
New tires for Giulietta 1.4 MA 170hp

Hey everyone,

This is my first post here but I've been a lurker on this forum for about 5 years since I got my first Alfa!

When I got my Giulietta 1.4 MA 170hp they came with 4 Pirelli Cinturato P7 and I've had these replaced by the same model whenever needed.

Nowadays though I think I can get better suited tires for my car, especially because I was never quite pleased with the P7 grip on wet, I've had a couple scares at moderate speeds and even lost of control once at low speed.

I've read a few of the other threads regarding tires but I couldn't come to any conclusion because my wheels are 16" contrary to the "norm" which are 17" I believe.

Hopefully you can help me by giving your testimonies or suggestions as to what tires I can get that are R16 and should be an improvement from the P7. Ideally they should perform much better on wet and if possible less noisy. The most positive thing about these P7 is that they last for a long time (or should I say km/miles).

I've read some good things about Michelin Pilot Sport 4 though I would like more input about it.

Many thanks in advance!
Matt1979 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire-
Dont get dunlop sport max rt2 I put these on the back a few months ago and the grip is terrible when cold. If a decent tyre wasn't £100+ I would have replaced them.

Head good things about the Pilot Sport and Continental Sport Contact 5.

Let us know how you get on with which ever you choose.
(Post Link) post #3 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: -
I had contis on mine and they were great. I had 18's so not cheap at 102 quid a corner when i got them, but worth it!

Pilot Sport 4s are probably the optimum if money is no object but the performance you gain is not offset by the price, when you consider the cost of a really good quality tyre like Avon ZV7s
JTD_Liam likes this.
(Post Link) post #4 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Can you get the Goodyear Assymetric 5's in your size?

I would go for them if you could.

Falken FK510's are great too if you are on a tighter budget.
(Post Link) post #5 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Surrey
My dad has the Cinturato P7s on his Giulietta MA and I think they're pretty crap. I find they spin up quite easily. I have Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 on my GTA in the same size and I have to pull away like a complete knob to get them to spin.
Nickhoughton567 likes this.
(Post Link) post #6 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Guilietta

I religiously stuck to the Pirelli's for 5 years, last time out my budget only went to 4 Toyo Proxes T1R's, very dramatic looking tread and transformed the stability of the car when compared to the Pirelli's. Only trouble is I,m on 17 inchers as well.
(Post Link) post #7 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your input so far!

Out of your suggestions the only ones that come in 16 inches (205/55) are the Michelin Pilot Sport 4, Avon ZV7 and Toyo Proxes T1R and from what I'm reading they should be a good improvement from the P7.

EDIT: Also found out that Continental Premium Contact 6 come in 16 inches, which seems like a good bet as well.

Last edited by sYlt; 3 Weeks Ago at 20:00.
(Post Link) post #8 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

Goodyear Efficientgrip performance are a good tyre in your size. They are slightly more comfort orientated than some though and quite soft sidewalls.

Uniroyal rainsports are good, if a bit fast wearing. Some rate the Avon you listed, but proper tyre tests suggest that they are pretty average.
(Post Link) post #9 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sYlt View Post
Thank you so much for your input so far!

Out of your suggestions the only ones that come in 16 inches (205/55) are the Michelin Pilot Sport 4, Avon ZV7 and Toyo Proxes T1R and from what I'm reading they should be a good improvement from the P7.
Michelin PS4s are excellent. I have them now on my 147 (previously had Conti Sportcontact 5ís) and will be putting them on my new G Veloce in the not too distant future too. The G has P7s and I agree entirely with what you say about them. The Michelinís grip well (both wet and dry), ride well and arenít noisy..unlike the Hankooks on my 4C. They are a great compromise tyre.
(Post Link) post #10 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: DK
Quote:
Originally Posted by sYlt View Post
..especially because I was never quite pleased with the P7 grip on wet, I've had a couple scares at moderate speeds and even lost of control once at low speed.
16 inches (205/55) - that's why you lack grip on that car

Kidding aside, wifes MA170 TCT came with some 2 year old 225/40R18 (Bridgestone i think?)
They make the car run

As you have found out, even Pirellis can't beat law of physics. Not that they are bad - just overpriced and overrated.
Most new tyres will do - pay too much and you just pay for brand, sponsors and adverts - not "quality"

Hankook Ventus Prime 3 is cheap and good.
Hankook Ventus Prime 3 K125 - Tyre Reviews
(Post Link) post #11 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Just changed to Michelin Pilot Sport 4 from Dunlop. They are amazing. Loads quieter (despite the noise rating being more) and loads of grip. Highly recommend them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Saintfunny likes this.
(Post Link) post #12 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Guilietta

I would never have a Dunlop tyre on anything but a wheelbarrow! Almost feel the same for Avon tyres, the experiences I've had with both makes is extremely quick wear rate and poor wet road grip, both experiences have been felt on road car and motorcycles. I would recommend Continental and Bridgestone tyres to anyone in a heart beat if you have the budget. I still stand by the Toyo's for now!
(Post Link) post #13 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isotope View Post
I would never have a Dunlop tyre on anything but a wheelbarrow! Almost feel the same for Avon tyres, the experiences I've had with both makes is extremely quick wear rate and poor wet road grip, both experiences have been felt on road car and motorcycles. I would recommend Continental and Bridgestone tyres to anyone in a heart beat if you have the budget. I still stand by the Toyo's for now!

The car came with Dunlop. Absolute garbage.

(Post Link) post #14 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Surrey
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbiscit View Post
The car came with Dunlop. Absolute garbage.

Got Avon ZV7 on mine.
Quieter road noise that whatever was on before. Great grip wet or dry.
Reasonable too.
JTD_Liam likes this.
(Post Link) post #15 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
Garage
My 2011 1.4MA Lusso, bought at 2300 miles, came with Continental Contact 2 on 16" wheels. Having been satisfied with them (I do not tend to drive to the limits) I have stuck with the Continentals as they seem to give good mileage. Last time it was Contact 5's. I have never had any problems in the wet.
(Post Link) post #16 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: United Kingdom
Falken 912 / RainSport 3 / GY Asy 3 or 5 / Continental PC5 would be my choices. It's a small range of prices but they are generally excellent in most road conditions.
symon likes this.
(Post Link) post #17 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta

Go for Michelin PS4’s. Best all round tyre. If your changing all 4 shop around. Costco run Michelin offers every so often and you can get upto £80 off a set of 4 but you do have to be member which costs around £30 a year. They sell all sorts of goodies and if you use your membership wisely you will save more than the £30 you spent on the membership.
(Post Link) post #18 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Guilietta

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcpfc View Post
Go for Michelin PS4’s. Best all round tyre. If your changing all 4 shop around. Costco run Michelin offers every so often and you can get upto £80 off a set of 4 but you do have to be member which costs around £30 a year. They sell all sorts of goodies and if you use your membership wisely you will save more than the £30 you spent on the membership.
I always liked the pilot sports on cars and bikes but always felt like a better dry weather tyre. The Bridgestones and Continentals always delivered more confident all round results imho!
(Post Link) post #19 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Quote:
Go for Michelin PS4ís. Best all round tyre. If your changing all 4 shop around. Costco run Michelin offers every so often and you can get upto £80 off a set of 4 but you do have to be member which costs around £30 a year. They sell all sorts of goodies and if you use your membership wisely you will save more than the £30 you spent on the membership.

I did this. Think I paid £330 for 4 18 inch tyres.

(Post Link) post #20 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
I have zv7 on 16s. Much better feel than the Pirelli but down to 4mm after 10000 miles. Think they where £65 each fitted.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
JTD_Liam likes this.
(Post Link) post #21 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

I replaced the factory-fit Bridgestone's with Avon ZV7's (16") on my Giulietta - quieter and more feel. I sold the car with them on but reckon I'd have got 15,000 miles out of them which is more than fine by me considering their very reasonable price.

Have had Avon's (ZV5 17" and ZV7 17" & 16") on my Fiat Stilo and Alfa MiTo/Giulietta with various brands in between including Michelin, Bridgestone, Dunlop & Continental. No cause for complaint with Michelin & Bridgestone but I'd not be paying extra for Dunlop or Continental - the Dunlop's in-particular were shi*e.

Avon have a massive base in Wiltshire so they probably know as good as anyone what our roads are like. There'll always be loads of opinions on tyres but I'd not pay extra for a 'better' brand after having them, apart from on my bike, but that's a bit different.
(Post Link) post #22 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
Garage
Quote:
Go for Michelin PS4ís. Best all round tyre. If your changing all 4 shop around. Costco run Michelin offers every so often and you can get upto £80 off a set of 4 but you do have to be member which costs around £30 a year. They sell all sorts of goodies and if you use your membership wisely you will save more than the £30 you spent on the membership.
Of course the OP is in Portugal so I suspect Costco will not be much help to him although it may well help UK readers
(Post Link) post #23 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

Can't comment on Michelins on the Giulietta, but over the years they've been my make of choice. Whatever tyres my various cars had originally, a change to Michelin always brought an improvement in wet weather grip, and they were at least as good in the dry too.
(Post Link) post #24 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Sussex-
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterzo View Post
Can't comment on Michelins on the Giulietta, but over the years they've been my make of choice. Whatever tyres my various cars had originally, a change to Michelin always brought an improvement in wet weather grip, and they were at least as good in the dry too.
I have only ever had Pilot Sport 4's on mine, I recently refreshed the fronts (they were down to the wear indicators ) the car feels amazing now.
(Post Link) post #25 of 25 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Well so far you've all given me much to consider. I think I'm closer to making a final choice, though after some careful consideration I'll postpone getting new tires and wait till the end of this summer.
My P7 still have a decent amount of tread and since it'll rarely rain over here they will be more than enough till the end of the summer.

After that, if nothing else changes, I might go for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 as per your testimonies or I even might try the Continental Premium Contact 6 (I'm very curious about these from what I've read and they are cheaper than the Michelin). There seem to be a few contradictions regarding the Avon, though I'm betting they would still be better than the P7.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulietta

Tags
170hp , giulietta , tires

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page