I'm Back! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Zoo
  • 1 Post By braddersR
  • 1 Post By Isotope
  • 1 Post By bluefoam

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

Giulietta Veloce

I'm Back!

The last Alfa I had was a 159 1.8 in 2010/11, before that I had a 147. Theres been 164's, 146, GT & 156 in the family... I've been away in the middle east driving stupid cars for a few years & now I'm back... In Ireland, so cost becomes a major factor again

I'm looking at a Giulietta 2.0 2013 JTDM-2 (140) Veloce... Any thoughts? Whats the engine like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 15 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Zoo
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Garage
Welcome back! I tried a 140 and a 170 bhp version but ultimately went back to petrol, if I was going for the 2.0 diesel I’d go for the 170 bhp just for the over tar power it gives!
bluefoam likes this.
(Post Link) post #3 of 15 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta Veloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo View Post
Welcome back! I tried a 140 and a 170 bhp version but ultimately went back to petrol, if I was going for the 2.0 diesel Id go for the 170 bhp just for the over tar power it gives!
I'd agree with you, but theres a limited market here... unusual to find a Giulietta thats not poverty spec & becuase I've been away for so long the insurance companies literally want to abuse me & write it into the payment schedule...

Baby steps... I'll buy a big boy car eventually, this one needs to get me around for the moment.
(Post Link) post #4 of 15 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta Veloce

Anything in particular to look out for in these 2.0L diesels?
(Post Link) post #5 of 15 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 650
County: Leicestershire
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the 2013 model will be a series 1, in which case it should have the updated EGR coolant cover thingymebob... it failed on my 2011 series 0 Giulietta at about 60k miles

Just check it's had oil / filter changes at required intervals and it should of had a cambelt/waterpump change by now
bluefoam likes this.
(Post Link) post #6 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

Guilietta

Quote:
Originally Posted by braddersR View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the 2013 model will be a series 1, in which case it should have the updated EGR coolant cover thingymebob... it failed on my 2011 series 0 Giulietta at about 60k miles

Just check it's had oil / filter changes at required intervals and it should of had a cambelt/waterpump change by now
Sound advice, regular oil and filter changes, more often than the recommended 21,000 interval will make sure the engine is in good health. I've a 2010 car with 83,000miles on the clock and it's had the EGR cooler cover and the EGR valve replaced, 2 sets of brake pads and disks. Other than that, the rear hatch looms have been replaced this year and other than tyres, which do last a bit longer than they did on my 147, due to the fact that you can't turn off the traction control, I don't think you can go wrong with either of the diesels. I really would recommend the 170bhp car, others on here will recommend the petrols with the same power but I like the heavier nose weight which makes me feel there is more grip. I may be wrong about the last point but the cornering feel is amazing and on the right roads the car feels so balanced and nimble under hard acceleration.
bluefoam likes this.
(Post Link) post #7 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta Veloce

Thanks Guys, I'm trying to source one at the moment. Have asked my local Alfa Dealer to see if he can find one (2013+)...
(Post Link) post #8 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta Veloce

I'm going to look at a 1.4 170 veloce in the morning... Fingers crossed
(Post Link) post #9 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta Veloce

Saw the car this morning. Multiair had failed and been replaced. They'll do the timing belt and water pump + service & the nct/mot has been done for the next two years.

Button cluster needs to be replaced, theres some minor body scratches & there is a tare in the rear door card (letherette). They'll look after all. Car seems to be running nicely.

Waitiung for my offer to be accepted. Anything else I need to check?
Engine videos:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cmJ...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1flT...ew?usp=sharing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WhatsApp Image 2019-05-24 at 9.15.28 AM.jpg (50.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg WhatsApp Image 2019-05-24 at 9.03.38 AM.jpg (97.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg WhatsApp Image 2019-05-24 at 9.03.38 AM(2).jpg (66.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg WhatsApp Image 2019-05-24 at 9.03.38 AM(1).jpg (81.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg WhatsApp Image 2019-05-24 at 9.03.37 AM.jpg (76.8 KB, 12 views)
cue2 likes this.
(Post Link) post #10 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Oxfordshire
The buttons on the dashboard being broken doesn't suggest a particularly careful owner, particularly with the scratches and damaged leatherette trim. Is that a more typical thing to expect on a used car in Ireland?

Least the MultiAir unit's been done. I imagine the petrols are pretty rare in Ireland as the equivalent to our VED/Car Tax is quite different to the UK, isn't it?
(Post Link) post #11 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta Veloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTD_Liam View Post
The buttons on the dashboard being broken doesn't suggest a particularly careful owner, particularly with the scratches and damaged leatherette trim. Is that a more typical thing to expect on a used car in Ireland?

Least the MultiAir unit's been done. I imagine the petrols are pretty rare in Ireland as the equivalent to our VED/Car Tax is quite different to the UK, isn't it?
This car is a UK import. If people are buying a higher powered car here, they usually also go for a physically bigger car... Mostly because all of the costs rise, purchase price, tax, insurance, running... So a 1.4 170bhp car wouldn't be the most common configuration. This car was a very reasonable price, which suits me right now. Tax on this will only be €280.

The car is actually in reasonable condition for its age and price. The missing buttons is odd, tare in the door card can be managed somehow. Exterior scratches are minor and nothing more than you'd pick up in a supermarket carpark. The leather and upholstery is in pretty good nick and it ran smoothly during the test drive.

Was surprised by the ride. It was very comfortable and took the bumps with ease... There's only 66,000miles on it.
(Post Link) post #12 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefoam View Post
This car is a UK import. If people are buying a higher powered car here, they usually also go for a physically bigger car... Mostly because all of the costs rise, purchase price, tax, insurance, running... So a 1.4 170bhp car wouldn't be the most common configuration. This car was a very reasonable price, which suits me right now. Tax on this will only be €280.

The car is actually in reasonable condition for its age and price. The missing buttons is odd, tare in the door card can be managed somehow. Exterior scratches are minor and nothing more than you'd pick up in a supermarket carpark. The leather and upholstery is in pretty good nick and it ran smoothly during the test drive.

Was surprised by the ride. It was very comfortable and took the bumps with ease... There's only 66,000miles on it.
I see. The tax is quite a bit higher than in the UK by look of it - you'd be looking at 145 or less for a year on those Giulietta's here - pre-2017 anyway. They've changed to a flat rate of 140/year from 2017 onwards after the first year which is CO2 based.

Tbh it was mainly the buttons and the tear in the trim that suprised me, as it's not something I've seen on Giulietta's before so i don't think they're particularly fragile in those areas. If the rest of it is in good nick then hopefully you'll have no bother. The ride is suprisingly good on the Giulietta if you're used to driving older Alfa's! The difference between my Giulietta and previous MiTo was night and day, though the MiTo is quite well-known for not being good in the ride department, despite me loving it besides that.
(Post Link) post #13 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta Veloce

Yeh, car ownership is costly here regardless. Looking forward to the Giulietta, very excited to pick her up.
(Post Link) post #14 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

Guilietta

I'm surprised they let you plug into the ECU before you have bought the car. That is pretty commendable, like they have nothing to hide, however that will probably only be accessing the engine ECU. The video with the engine running sounds very tappety, I've never even heard a Multiair unit so that may be a characteristic of that engine but sounded more like a diesel than a petrol car to me? I also note there is a cover missing from the positive battery terminal? Wonder why that would be missing, careless owner or mechanic?
(Post Link) post #15 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta Veloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isotope View Post
I'm surprised they let you plug into the ECU before you have bought the car. That is pretty commendable, like they have nothing to hide, however that will probably only be accessing the engine ECU. The video with the engine running sounds very tappety, I've never even heard a Multiair unit so that may be a characteristic of that engine but sounded more like a diesel than a petrol car to me? I also note there is a cover missing from the positive battery terminal? Wonder why that would be missing, careless owner or mechanic?
The engine sounds different on the video to how I remember it... Might be how the phone picked up the noise. I'm hoping all is good.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulietta

Tags
back

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page