Calling all Giulietta cloverleaf 1.75 (2011) owners (MPG) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By gapalmer
  • 1 Post By cue2

(Post Link) post #1 of 20 Old 09-05-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Calling all Giulietta cloverleaf 1.75 (2011) owners (MPG)

Hey All

Just wondering what kind of motorway MPG / long haul driving MPG you get with your (2011 onward) cloverleaf? Don`t care about city driving as I will be avoiding it at all costs.

Trying to decide between a cloverleaf and 1.4 tb multiair.

There are a few cloverleaf`s for sale around the 6k mark and of course I am going to be getting a lower MPG, but just wondering how low compared to the 1.4.

I will primarily be using it for motorway driving, like 90% of the time. I was wondering if getting 30 plus mpg wise on the 1.75 cloverleaf is a possibility with gentle driving sitting at 70mph. ( I dont expect to get that if I am red lining it )

So wondering how the 8 year old car is holding up nowadays! (the cars I am looking at have about 90k on the clock.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
AO Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

159 V6

My friend has a Giulietta QV who does exactly that sort of journey and can easily average nearly 40MPG (he does have a foot like a feather!)

Not sure what a MA is like but if you crave that extra bit of performance the QV offers I would definitely go with that plus they are quite rare too which is always a cool thing
AO Platinum Member

Why are they rare?
(I always like to be devilís advocate)
AO Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

159 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
Why are they rare?
Original purchase cost? Poor/biased reviews against other hot hatches at the time? Who knows, having driven another friend's MK6 GTI back to back. I actually prefer the Giulietta QV to it. It seems I'm not the only one to think that either:

Which is actually against a MK7 so arguably even stronger competition.
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

159 Ti TBI 200

You should easily achieve at least mid-high 30s on a steady motorway drive in the Giulietta QV.

My 2009 159 TBI, which has the same engine as the Giulietta QV, averages 33-34mpg on the motorway (with a light foot) and it's a heavier car.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

GQV

I love my Cloverleaf, and I would have thought you could easily average mid 30ís solely motorway driving, maybe more, however I canít see the point of getting a Cloverleaf if youíre going to be sat at 70mph while gentle driving? Youíd be better off getting a lower mileage multiair.
Ps: the red one on autotrader at £6k was purchased by the dealer from an auction (Newark motor auctions), not sure exactly what they paid for it but was guess it was mid £4K as I got my 69k miles one from the same auction house for £5k
AO Member

Member car:

GQV

I love my Cloverleaf, and I would have thought you could easily average mid 30ís solely motorway driving, maybe more, however I canít see the point of getting a Cloverleaf if youíre going to be sat at 70mph while gentle driving? Youíd be better off getting a lower mileage multiair.
Ps: the red one on autotrader at £6k was purchased by the dealer from an auction (Newark motor auctions), not sure exactly what they paid for it but was guess it was mid £4K as I got my 69k miles one from the same auction house for £5k
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
At 50mph an indicated 50mpg average.
At 60mph and indicated 34mpg.
Above 75 indicated mpg drops into the upper 20s.
AO Member

County: Cheshire
I am about to advertise my cloverleaf this weekend, funnily enough it is a 2011/61 with 91k and Iíll be putting it up for 6k !
Black, full black leather with red stitching (quite rare), recently serviced, good quality matching tyres all round, drives great.

With regards to mpg it does 24-25 in stop/start traffic and 35-40 on a long run if you stay below 80.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
Why are they rare?

They only sold about 750 manual cloverleafs in the uk, so it is a fairly rare car compared to most. There are usually less than 20 for sale uk wide at any time.
AO Platinum Member

In marketing terms the Giulietta Cloverleaf was needed as a ďhaloĒ model to elevate the image of the car so that there was a petrol model of a reasonable displacement. Early cars were the only way of having what became QV-line looking cars in the showroom to aspire to. As a consequence most early cars sold at a healthy discount as they sat there too long, it appears. The mpg figures removed it from company car lists but a few sold to private buyers who werenít covering high mileages. The lack of engine choice in the current range shows how it would have looked early on without the 1.75 engine. Itís perceived as a 120hp car of 1.4 or 1.6 litres.
(Post Link) post #13 of 20 Old 10-05-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for the replies all. Didn't think that it would be so good on the motorway. I'm just hoping if I can average 35 or so on long journeys then I would be more than happy. 40 would be an absolute bonus.

A lot of the cloverleaf models tend to be white which I definitely won't buy. A lot more on offer when I go up to 7.5k but that's kinda pushing my budget a bit especially with the additional road tax Insurance and other upfront costs.

Don't fancy waiting a couple of months to sell your do you Gareth? I'm not back in the UK till August but would take it off your hands then gladly 😉

One more question... what is the depreciation like. I mean if I were to buy one at say 7.5k and drive it for a year and add say another 10,000 miles to the clock how much would you expect to be knocked off the original price I got it for. This won't be a long term car sadly and probably would swap it out for a cheaper hatch in about a year. Just want a year of experience with the little minx and if I can recoup most of the extra costs of spending an extra 1.5k I will happily do it.
AO Member

I do the exact same driving for every alfa i have owned. Bit of Motorway, two really long motorways trips to Yorkshire and a bit of city driving. I never reset my mpg and I travel about 6K a year:

135 bhp Mito petrol TCT- 36mph - had for 3 years
170 bhp Giulietta petrol TCT- 35mph - had for 4 years
245 bhp Giulietta petrol TCT- 32mph - current car, 1 year old
cue2 likes this.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapalmer View Post
I do the exact same driving for every alfa i have owned. Bit of Motorway, two really long motorways trips to Yorkshire and a bit of city driving. I never reset my mpg and I travel about 6K a year:

135 bhp Mito petrol TCT- 36mpg had for 3 years
170 bhp Giulietta petrol TCT- 35mpg had for 4 years
245 bhp Giulietta petrol TCT- 32mpg current car, 1 year old
Is that what you meant?!
Nickhoughton567 likes this.
AO Member

Member car:

GQV

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR89 View Post
Thanks for the replies all. Didn't think that it would be so good on the motorway. I'm just hoping if I can average 35 or so on long journeys then I would be more than happy. 40 would be an absolute bonus.

A lot of the cloverleaf models tend to be white which I definitely won't buy. A lot more on offer when I go up to 7.5k but that's kinda pushing my budget a bit especially with the additional road tax Insurance and other upfront costs.

Don't fancy waiting a couple of months to sell your do you Gareth? I'm not back in the UK till August but would take it off your hands then gladly 😉

One more question... what is the depreciation like. I mean if I were to buy one at say 7.5k and drive it for a year and add say another 10,000 miles to the clock how much would you expect to be knocked off the original price I got it for. This won't be a long term car sadly and probably would swap it out for a cheaper hatch in about a year. Just want a year of experience with the little minx and if I can recoup most of the extra costs of spending an extra 1.5k I will happily do it.
If youíre going to put 10k miles on it then you really need to be looking at one with 60-70k Miles or lower for £7.5k if you want to get close to your money back in my opinion, as soon as you get to 80k miles plus, youíll be lucky to get much past £6.5k. To be honest I canít see them dropping too much lower than £6k as if you compare it to similar performance cars out there, they are still way above what GQVís are.
A well looked after one would save you more in potential bills than depreciation, buying an Alfa enthusiast car with solid history will also be easier to flip in a year.
AO Member

County: Tyne and Wear
High 20's in light town traffic and just under 40(39.7) on few trips from NE to London/Kent area (at 70-80mph). Overall mpg reading from new is 31.3mpg's
(Post Link) post #18 of 20 Old 12-05-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdajames View Post
If youíre going to put 10k miles on it then you really need to be looking at one with 60-70k Miles or lower for £7.5k if you want to get close to your money back in my opinion, as soon as you get to 80k miles plus, youíll be lucky to get much past £6.5k. To be honest I canít see them dropping too much lower than £6k as if you compare it to similar performance cars out there, they are still way above what GQVís are.
A well looked after one would save you more in potential bills than depreciation, buying an Alfa enthusiast car with solid history will also be easier to flip in a year.
Hey man thanks for this! Yer most of the 7.5k are hovering around the 60k mark which is nice. Pity only two are in a colour I would buy. The red one for 6k is on 90k miles. I mean I have to wait another two and a half months before I buy and I am sure there will be totally different ones on the market. Most of the GQV`s seem to have a full service history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaf156 View Post
High 20's in light town traffic and just under 40(39.7) on few trips from NE to London/Kent area (at 70-80mph). Overall mpg reading from new is 31.3mpg's
That really is not that bad at all. If I can get in the high 40`s for planned roadtrips I will be really happy.

There doesnt seem to be THAT much of a difference in the real world MPGs of the MA and GQV. Not enough to stop me buying the latter at least.... haha
AO Silver Member

My GQV is used almost exclusively for long motorway type journeys, the car spends a lot of time driving around the continent. I keep a log of my fuel usage from tank to tank and up to now my average is 37mpg. I am not the slowest driver but I am not continually ragging it. TBH it has proved to be a great long distance driver.
(Post Link) post #20 of 20 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Ah amazing! Seeming better and better.

Just a quick question about milage. Unfortunately a lot of the lower milage ones are white (not buying a white one not a fan of white cars) but the rest are 85-100k. Do you think I shave to be at all wary of one around that mark.

Don't know how a highly tuned turbo 1.7 fairs in terms of wear and tear.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulietta

Tags
175 , 2011 , calling , cloverleaf , giulietta , mpg , owners

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page