Looking for an Alfa - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Pierreshort
  • 2 Post By gazza82
  • 1 Post By Sweeno

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

County: -
Looking for an Alfa

Hi guys,

I am finally going to take the plunge and buy an Alfa Romeo - I have always wanted one but never been able to commit after a range of weird and wonderful cars that have distracted me (w126 s-class, mk 2 golf, 1973 vanden plas 1300 (with picnic tables!...and an engine that refused to work on damp days!!), Smart Fortwo (don't laugh the best car for London!) )

My partner can only drive an automatic which is slightly annoying and as this will be our only car it will have to be able to cope with the various things we throw at it - so I was think in the Giulietta would be the best choice for my budget and lifestyle.

I would really appreciate any tips on a Giulietta - I live in central London so petrol would be best - so thinking 1.4? Around 1-2 yrs old with low fish mileage - anything I should be looking out for?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 13 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Member

I guess at that age, in the first instance you'd be looking be looking at the lowest mileage possible?
At one to two years its still under warranty so make sure its been back for any recalls?
Other than that then usage history would be useful too. I know i said lowest mileage possible but 15k on a two year old car thats been up and down the motorway is better than 7k on the same age of car thats pottered around town, on and off the brakes and sitting on the clutch waiting to go at traffic lights etc
This is for all new cars i imagine, not just an Alfa
(Post Link) post #3 of 13 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Private owners , whose cars are arguably more cherished, keep their cars a bit longer than youíre looking at.
Look carefully for repairs to damage you get on loan cars and other multiple user examples. I donít think there have been any daily rental Giuliettas recently.
Worth looking for a good example of the Speciale MA.
(Post Link) post #4 of 13 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

thanks - I have seen a couple at Motorvillage - but they have a disclaimer saying that their cars may have come from places where they were driven by multiple users... which scares we a little! I think I'm going to take my time and look at lots of options...

Any good Alfa dealers that anyone knows of? I am happy to travel for a good car / dealer!
(Post Link) post #5 of 13 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

Thatís what I meant!
I traded my Speciale in for the Stelvio after 2 years and that was pretty much perfect so you may be better off going for an older and looked after example. They are out there but Giulietta sales are pretty low now itís been out nearly a decade.
(Post Link) post #6 of 13 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
Thatís what I meant!
I traded my Speciale in for the Stelvio after 2 years and that was pretty much perfect so you may be better off going for an older and looked after example. They are out there but Giulietta sales are pretty low now itís been out nearly a decade.
Agreed.... know how I personally drive hire cars I think I would avoid that at all costs.

Interested to see how you are getting on with the Stelvio - I pass a white Super Q4 on my walk to the station in mornings and I am surprised at how much I like it... never a fan of the SUV craze but it looks really good.
(Post Link) post #7 of 13 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Hi. We've just bought a Giulietta in auto spec for the same reasons as partner only wanted auto. It's a 1.6 diesel in super trim with added extras as visibility pack and 6 inch infotainment sat nav etc. It's the alfa red colour which I initially didn't want, but now we've bought this one I love the classic colour. FYI it had done 20k miles and cost £11k. We went for the diesel in this year as it's zero tax and lower insurance than the sportier 1.4 turbo. Like any modern high tech car...just hope we don't get any major problems. I've never owned an alfa before and although I've owned lots of high performance/luxury cars in the past I can say I'm really happy with this car as an everyday driver for both of us to share.

Good luck in your search. It's nice to drive something just that bit different from the sea of audi a3, Mercedes a class and seat leon etc.
highgatealfa87 likes this.
(Post Link) post #8 of 13 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by highgatealfa87 View Post
Any good Alfa dealers that anyone knows of? I am happy to travel for a good car / dealer!
Try AlfaAid in Maidenhead. Talk to Julian about the ones they have in stock ... they appear to had have a couple of TCTs on their books recently but are now SOLD. Julian may know if they are getting more in

https://www.alfaaid.co.uk/Car-Sales or 01628 788887 ...
jdajames and highgatealfa87 like this.
(Post Link) post #9 of 13 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Greater Manchester
The tct box is brilliant. I have just traded in my 1.4 ma 170 manual for a 1750 auto. Its the 1st auto my other half has ever driven and she loves it. Its my 3rd Alfa (2nd Giulietta) and all have been totally reliable. Great looking cars that stand out from the rest plus you dont see too many compared to the bucket load of A3's, A-class and 1 series etc
(Post Link) post #10 of 13 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highgatealfa87 View Post

Interested to see how you are getting on with the Stelvio - I pass a white Super Q4 on my walk to the station in mornings and I am surprised at how much I like it... never a fan of the SUV craze but it looks really good.
Talking of TCT, the combination of really quick steering on a basically rwd car and torque with a great ZF box in a car way lighter than youíd think is such a pleasure to drive. Oh and sitting 70mm higher than a Giulia driver without feeling a higher c-of-g too...
(Post Link) post #11 of 13 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire

Member car:

Mito 1.4 lusso

If price isnít a massive issue and itís not a million miles from you Iíd suggest Veloces of London. Might pay a bit more than you would elsewhere but in my opinion itís worth it for the condition of cars and quality they provide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(Post Link) post #12 of 13 Old 2 Weeks Ago

County: Leicestershire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattlancefield View Post
If price isnít a massive issue and itís not a million miles from you Iíd suggest Veloces of London. Might pay a bit more than you would elsewhere but in my opinion itís worth it for the condition of cars and quality they provide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ditto🚗👍🏼 I have recently purchased an Alfa giulietta 1750 auto fron them and it is absolutely mint condition and very low miles. Also had a good deal worked out, so yes it won't hurt to get along to Veloces in New Barnet EN4 9PA. You may just get what you wish for, Good luck🙁☘️
Mattlancefield likes this.
(Post Link) post #13 of 13 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Should have added...we are from London area and we're struggling to find exactly the model and spec with the tct we wanted. They just aren't as common as other makes, especially as the Giulietta is getting a little older in terms of design now so probably haven't been selling in large numbers over the last few years. We kept looking at the auctions, but you're obviously taking a bigger risk. We did see a 66 plate technica spec with 25k miles on for £10500 at car giant in London...but it sold the day before our test drive was booked. After waiting we eventually travelled up to sturgess Leicester when we saw they had the exact spec we were after. They were fine and let us have a very extended test drive before we bought and drove away the same day. Just had to go through the sales motion of declining all the extras they were selling.
If you've not driven the Giulietta before I'd recommend a long test drive as I feel the car does have a fairly heavy feel to its steering and around town manoeuvrability that takes a little getting used to. Although it does make it feel safe and solid and great out on the open roads. I feel that our super spec car on its 16inch wheels is still on the firmer side where suspension is concerned and handles really well...so personally I'm glad we didn't go for a sport version. Each to there own where that's concerned though. Good luck.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulietta

Tags
automatic , giulietta

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page