Cold Starting issue but not battery? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 07-01-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Cold Starting issue but not battery?

Last year during the two very cold weather spells we had in the UK my 2015 1.4 multiair wouldn't start. On both occasions the car had stood for a few days and as it was still under warranty I called Alfa Assist who, on both occasions jump started the car, ran it for 10 to 15 minutes, suggested I charge the battery and gave it a clean bill of health.

Since then all has been well until last Friday when the same problem occurred. Again the car had stood for 4 days but although the weather was cold it was not sub-zero and nor had there been sustained cold weather. As it's no longer under warranty I charged the battery and it then started although a little reluctantly. After a 30 mile run it is now OK and I took it for a free battery health check today. 'You don't need a new battery mate' was the outcome as the battery passed all the tests as did the alternator.

When the problem occurs all accessories have power and the battery doesn't appear to be low on charge its just that despite trying the engine just doesn't start. The only other thing is I can't extract the key from the ignition.

Despite the battery passing the tests I have lost confidence in the car starting during cold weather and as I'm due to park it at an airport for a week In February I'd really like to get to the bottom of the problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Sweden
What happens when you try to start? Nothing at all, clicking sounds from the engine or it cranks over but not fireing?
(Post Link) post #3 of 7 Old 08-01-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

It cranks over but doesn't fire. When I had charged the battery it was still a little reluctant to fire compared with normal but started reasonably quickly rather than straight away.
mru
AO Member

County: Germany
Garage
I put my money on a weak battery.
They can test all they want to, but it is really difficult to diagnose. If you have Alfa performance (u-connect live I think) look at the battery value (%).
On my 2016 MA it starts dropping below 75%. Start/stop no longer works then.
I can shut down the radio for the remaining 20km of my trip, and it will not recover. I haven't figured out which part is important to higher re-charging. But a day or two later, the value returns to 75% and start/stop works again.

If I was you, I'd replace the battery for a good one; see appropriate discussions here.
Even without any worsening, I shall change mine in October (winter servicing).

County: Germany
Hi - lurker here, first post
I have the same problem. Last time when I didn't drive for 5 days over the holidays. It started after about 6-8 tries when I was about to give up.

The battery dropped from 72 to 58 percent over these days (I've already had an eye on it) and exactly what mru says, it's not charging consequently.
Do you think it's already a weak battery after 2 years? Is 2 or more percent battery drop per day normal or might there be a current leak?
(Post Link) post #6 of 7 Old 08-01-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

I don't know if it is measuring the exact same thing but the result of the battery test was 'Healthy - 76%' but this was of course after I had charged it with by smart charger and taken it for a couple of runs.

I'm not sure if it's a weak battery or not, certainly in autumn weather it stood fine for a few days (12 days at an airport in October) and started fine. When I had the problem last year we had temperatures down to about -8C but last Friday it was only about +2C.

I really don't know about a gradual drop or current leak.
AO Member

County: Sweden
The best way to test the battery condition is to measure the voltage over the battery while cranking the engine. A voltage drop of 1-2 Volts is normal, but if it drops more than that there could be starting issues due to lack of voltage to the onboard computers. I just left my MA 4 weeks in subzero temperature in Stockholm, I had disconnected the quick coupling on the battery negative terminal as a safety measure and it started up with no hesitation. After driving for 15 minutes the start and stop also worked.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulietta

Tags
battery , cold , issue , starting

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page