Giulietta Veloce Fuel Economy - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By kosymodo
  • 1 Post By Chrisbakker

(Post Link) post #1 of 23 Old 12-12-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Western Australia
Giulietta Veloce Fuel Economy

Hi all
My wife has had here new Veloce about two weeks now and I am a little confused by how much fuel it uses in city traffic. Her average is around 13ltr per 100km according to the dash read out.
She only drives it in 'N" mode and does not drive it at all hard, never uses sport mode. The weather has been warm over the last few days (3oc+) so the air con has been on much of the time as the G is black. We bought it because we thought my GTA would not be practical for her work driving, but at the moment the G uses more fuel than my car. It does have a better steering lock though. Just curious as to what economy others are getting and hoping it may improve as it runs in a bit as she loves driving it.

Allan

2004 Alfa Romeo 147 GTA
2017 Alfa Romeo 2017 Giulietta Veloce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -
Good morning.
I think i have a problem as i get roughly 20mpg around town n mode steady driving. From posts on here i gather it should be 30-35 poss even 40mpg. It seems to be improving slightly but still going to get it looked at. I have just had a new ma u nit fitted could this be to blame? What could cause this?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
AO Member

Allan can you convert your figures to mpg?
AO Member

Like you im hoping it rights itself over time but i think thats just wishful thinking although a post mentioned after a reset the car ecu re learns driving style but im just going off what iv read on here.
AO Member

County: South Glos
13L/100km = 21.7mpg

Thatís a bit low...my G (1.4 TCT - also black, with a/c on during summer) was doing roughly 33mpg, so roughly 8.6L/100km
Rachelba likes this.
(Post Link) post #6 of 23 Old 12-12-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Western Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosymodo View Post
13L/100km = 21.7mpg

Thatís a bit low...my G (1.4 TCT - also black, with a/c on during summer) was doing roughly 33mpg, so roughly 8.6L/100km
Thanks for that a bit late here for math. I expected better from a 1.7 compared to a a 3.2 though

Allan
AO Member

County: -Lincolnshire

Member car:

Red 4C coupe

Yesterday I had a 200 mile round trip, going I managed 41.6 mpg, partly b road then mainly A1. (Cruise control at 68mph)

Coming back I had her in D mode and drove quite fast and returned 36.8 mpg.

I was expecting a lot less in D mode and giving it some boot to be honest.
mru
AO Member

County: Germany
Garage
In the lesser modi the car makes a greater effort longer to accelerate; thus consuming more.
In D, it is the opposite.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1019
County: West Midlands
Garage

Member car:

Giulietta Sport

I've got a Cloverleaf, so 1750tbi manual. It only does a short urban journey home to work which is about 5miles/8km. It averages about 24mpg/11.7 litre /100km. On a long journey it will do about 37mpg/7.6 litre/100km. Lets be honest, I didn't buy it to be economical. If you want to get the economy up, keep it below 1500rpm so the turbo has minimal impact.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
I have fairly recently bought a QV and tooling around it has returned 30mpg
AO Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Giulietta QV TCT

Mine does about 22mpg in town and 40mpg or just over on a long run so itís pretty much in line with what others quoted. 240 bhp is a decent chunk of power and it must come from somewhere. Didnít buy it for economy, the fuel consumption doesnít bother me.
cue2 likes this.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1019
County: West Midlands
Garage

Member car:

Giulietta Sport

Just put trip B on, 15300 miles average 27.2mpg.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelba View Post
Hi all
My wife has had here new Veloce about two weeks now and I am a little confused by how much fuel it uses in city traffic. Her average is around 13ltr per 100km according to the dash read out.
She only drives it in 'N" mode and does not drive it at all hard, never uses sport mode. The weather has been warm over the last few days (3oc+) so the air con has been on much of the time as the G is black. We bought it because we thought my GTA would not be practical for her work driving, but at the moment the G uses more fuel than my car. It does have a better steering lock though. Just curious as to what economy others are getting and hoping it may improve as it runs in a bit as she loves driving it.

Allan
Daily commute cold start 2 miles in town..parked for 8 hours, 2 miles back 18mpg. Previous 170hp 1.4 multiair giulietta returned 18mpg more. Longer trip usually returns over 30. Thankfully only cover 5000 miles per annum!
(Post Link) post #14 of 23 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

I'm doing a similar commute to work. About 5 miles and it's a cold slow move through traffic, barely picking up any speed. Also seeing 18-19mpg. A bit disappointed at the moment I admit. I've only done one long journey since I bought it and that was 39mpg which I suppose is ok if still a bit less than hoped.

Wrong thread sorry.. I have a Giulia!
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosymodo View Post
13L/100km = 21.7mpg

I would say that's about right for the Veloce, I have the QV and get 21/23 town driving and 27/29 motorway. I don't drive like I'm on a race track either, they are great cars but frugal they're not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonR66 View Post
I would say that's about right for the Veloce, I have the QV and get 21/23 town driving and 27/29 motorway. I don't drive like I'm on a race track either, they are great cars but frugal they're not.
Hi I have owned my veloce for 6 months and fuel economy is the only dissapointment.
short 5-10 minute commute i am getting 24-25 mpg
I had a civic tyoe R FN2 before and that returned 29-30 mpg

On paper the veloce should be better....

I didnt buy for economy but it did figure in my budget...
Loving it otherwise

Last edited by stueyburr; 1 Week Ago at 07:25. Reason: missed some words out
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by stueyburr View Post
Hi I have owned my veloce for 6 months and fuel economy is the only dissapointment.
short 5-10 minute commute i am getting 24-25 mpg
I had a civic tyoe R FN2 before and that returned 29-30 mpg

On paper the veloce should be better....

I didnt buy for economy but it did figure in my budget...
Loving it otherwise
Alfa should hang their heads in shame as I cannot achieve anything like the quoted 40mpg I know all manufacturers over quote but in the QV/Veloce the difference is huge.
AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
Garage
I came from a 2 litre naturally aspirated engine to the 1.4 TB MA. both cars had similar quoted power and 0-60 times but the Giulietta much better test mpg. However in practice I found the Giulietta only about 20% better. I believe this is because the EU test regime, at that time, required a very specific pattern of speed and acceleration which all cars could achieve. This meant that while on test the turbo is hardly used and the reported mpg would match that of a NA engine of similar size. In practice we drive the cars to their capabilities and make use of some, if not all, of the power and acceleration available. This means the turbo kicks in and uses more fuel reducing the mpg figures.
Manufacturers quite clearly played the test game with engines designed to produce the power and torque required but also to give good results in purely arbitrary tests which bore no relationship to real world motoring.
For those who might be interested I record all the petrol I put in the car together with the mileage and the overall mpg since buying the Giulietta in 2012 is 39 mpg. In general the miles are reasonable open road journeys. Last week for example we went down to London from North Lincolnshire. about 40 miles of single carriageway A road and about 270 miles of A1/M25 to Cockfosters. This is typical although some trips may have much less dual carriageway there is little town work or crawling in traffic jams. The best I have achieved for an individual fill is 47mpg travelling through Austria/Germany/Luxenbourg returning from holiday. If you are interested the range of mpg and pattern can be seen on my fuelly page linked in the signature below.

Procrastination is the thief of time

I'm about to become a Giulietta Launch Edition owner and have a keen eye on the achievable MPG prior to purchase. I'm coming from an economical (50+ mpg) 2L diesel and fully aware that a performance car of this type is going to have much lower MPG. A longer motorway journey twice a week is part of my regular routine so I'd be interested to know how the real MPG (when measuring litres used vs mileage) compares to what the computer is actually saying. My current Toyota Verso diesel normally reads around 63 mpg with some serious hypermiling techniques, but when you actually calculate the fuel used alongside the mileage it is nearer 53, so shows that often the computer lies as well as the manufacturer! Just for the record I test drove a Launch Edition on Monday - I drove it hard for the first 15 mins and achieved 20mpg. After resetting computer and doing a bit of hyper milling on the second 15 mins of the test drive I was getting 40mpg. But was still in D mode and some of that was stop start in town so quite impressed really if it's going to deliver that when driving more steady. I'd like to think that as I live out in the countryside with traffic free open roads, will be doing a fair bit of motorway travel at 70 and am a fairly smooth driver I'll be getting nearer 45mpg and that will do me. As is often the case, it's all about keeping momentum, lifting off the throttle early and using the brakes as little as possible to save on fuel. Once I take delivery I'll report back on it's average mpg... once I've got the first few weeks of gunning it out the way 🙂
AO Member

Isnt mpg a funny thing? Noone ever really cared 25-30years ago. I used to put petrol in the car. It would run out. I would go to the petrol station and put more in.
Theres folks much older than me on here but when i was 17, 18 , 19 and I and my mates were passing our tests petrol was 37.5p a litre
My mkII Vauxhall astra 1.3 would get 100miles per £10 worth of petrol at about 65p a litre in the 90's. That was my measure then. I drove that car on the limit...EVERY day!
Now ive become obsessed with mpg and i gather the reason is the extortionate rate of tax and associated petrol prices.
If i drove my 156 jts like i did the astra i would be lucky to get 18mpg!! Lololol

i guess im saying its down to driving style alot of the time. I (think) have an extremely light right foot sometimes but in reality, my driving might not be as good as i think 🙂
Its certainly better than my wife's! She has a Volvov40 and when i drive it for any length of time, the mpg goes up a small yet significant anount.
If you own a 1750, and i mean this with the greatest of respect, you shouldnt care about mpg. If you drive 8miles to work and 8 miles back its not even properly warmed up by then! Plus, you still have to thrash it coz thats why it was made and thats why you bought it.
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Garage
My QV LE shows an average 23.3 mpg, I roughly calculated its actually running around that, but tbh that's ok, if I wanted economy I would have bought a diesel or a hybrid.
I can't understand why you would buy this type of car if mpg bothers you as we all know quoted figures are unrealistic in daily life, plus you buy it for the performance not its economy, so enjoy driving it.

Absolutely and couldn't agree more. For me i'm buying this car as because I've had years of having no choice but to be in a extremely economical 2L diesel due to budget requirements. I'm now in a position where I can get back to a car that I want with my heart and not so much my head. I do two 160 mile motorway round trips each week so that car still needs to be slightly more economical than a V8! (due to having a family and still on a bit of a budget). To be able to have a car that could achieve around 40 mpg + for the most part when on the motorway, which its clear this one can, is essential for me, but being a petrol head when I have that perfect B road or a weekend blast, this thing fits that bill too. Best of both worlds 🙂
AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Isnt mpg a funny thing? Noone ever really cared 25-30years ago. I used to put petrol in the car. It would run out. I would go to the petrol station and put more in.
Theres folks much older than me on here but when i was 17, 18 , 19 and I and my mates were passing our tests petrol was 37.5p a litre .
When I passed my test petrol was 3/11 per gallon that is 3 shillings and 11 pence in good old money; equivalent in decimal is 19.6p per gallon or 4.3p per litre. Ridiculous isn't it.
However my annual salary on starting work as a trainee civil engineer was £650 and our first home cost £3100. Inflation has meant that it is impossible to compare prices with the past but official figures for inflation would make that 3/11 per gallon 79p per litre so increased taxes as well as market forces have certainly increased by considerably more than inflation.

In 1973 OPEC imposed an embargo on certain countries for supposedly supporting Israel in the Yom Kipper War and crude oil quadrupled in price. In 1979 The Iranian Revolution caused a further doubling in the price. This was the point at which we all started being aware of mpg. Since then prices have declined when adjusted for inflation but the mindset continues. After all it makes a talking point in any situation.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulietta

Tags
economy , fuel , giulietta , veloce

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page