19” 5 Spoke - Lacquer Delaminating - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By tezmo

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Merseyside
19” 5 Spoke - Lacquer Delaminating

Washed my car yesterday and unfortunately noticed the lacquer has started to blister on the rear alloy. The car is due a service around November so will push for it under warranty but a bit of a shame it’s happened none the less. Has anyone else had this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 43A3DCD3-3D0B-4042-A880-EFC6C13ED68F_1568544894132.jpg (49.5 KB, 98 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 16 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

159 jdtm spec ed

Never seen that mate - are you washing em with something particularly caustic? Not that that would make it acceptable, just looking to see if there's a product we should all avoid.....fwiw I use meguiars ultimate periodically with no ill effects. Definitely you'll get that replaced under warranty no probs.
(Post Link) post #3 of 16 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Have you washed the car yourself or payed somebody else to wash it?
Had it from new?
Canít be typical.
(Post Link) post #4 of 16 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Only ever washed it myself, I use Autofinese Ironout on the alloys and sometimes spray Gyeon Wet Coat on the alloy, can’t believe any of those would drastically damage the alloy tho?? The wheels were so sprayed by the dealer as they’re originally silver so I’m guessing it’s a bonding/curing issue during application. Rung the dealer yesterday, they said they would have a look when it’s in for it’s first service in November
(Post Link) post #5 of 16 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

That’s a shame. Sounds like poor preparation for the refinishing. You didn’t mention it was not the original finish. They should repaint them if only because it’s giving you a bad experience and people will assume it’s Alfa Romeo at fault when the see them. Ford in Germany had this problem when the dealers started painting the plastic bumpers on the Ka and it looked like a Ford problem when the paint peeled.
(Post Link) post #6 of 16 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: -
That's due to a poor refurb and poor preparation. The paint hasn't stuck. A quality powder coat finish is required for maximum durability. Perhaps speak to the dealer who did the job...
(Post Link) post #7 of 16 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

Echo!
(Post Link) post #8 of 16 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

159 jdtm spec ed

Yah I retract my previous there paultrim sorry, you'll not get a warranty replacement from Alfa for this. Whether whoever did the paint warranties their work though, is a question you'd need to take up with them. Agree wholeheartedly with what cue2 said, your top post paints (pun intended) the manufacturers standards in a poor light, dare I suggest you edit appropriately for the record?
cue2 likes this.
(Post Link) post #9 of 16 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

ďI paid £650 for the upgraded 19" 5 hole QV style wheels on my Veloce and a further £400 to have them painted dark grey as per the QV wheels. This was done by the dealer before collection.Ē
Your contract on the wheel refinish is with the dealer then.
(Post Link) post #10 of 16 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

I assume so, to be fair to the dealer when I mentioned on the phone about the alloy he didn’t argue any liability and said he may have to keep the car for longer than one day to sort. That’s not an issue as I’m travelling from Liverpool to work in the area for the week.
Interesting point about AR not covering it as I hadn’t thought of it that way, looks like the dealer is happy enough to cover the warranty on their work (and so they should) so this should be easily resolved 🤞
(Post Link) post #11 of 16 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

You should change the title of the thread?
I gives the impression that itís Alfa thatís got a fault when itís the dealer who charged £100 a wheel and probably got the smart repair guy to paint them on their site when he was fixing some scratches on used cars.
(Post Link) post #12 of 16 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
You should change the title of the thread?
I gives the impression that it’s Alfa that’s got a fault when it’s the dealer who charged £100 a wheel and probably got the smart repair guy to paint them on their site when he was fixing some scratches on used cars.
The title does not say Alfa Romeo poor build quality? Hypothetically I could be talking about my wife’s Nissan Juke??

Anyway, does the dealer not represent Alfa Romeo surely? They have a very large sign outside the showroom.
(Post Link) post #13 of 16 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

Why would you put a thread in the Giulia Technical section about your wifeís wheels deteriorating?
(Post Link) post #14 of 16 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

So why would I put a post about a defect with an alloy wheel in this forum and not expect it to be about an Alfa??
Anyway, can’t be bothered with nitpicking, long and short is my post title wasn’t defamatory to Alfa Romeo as you suggested, merely it was to point out a defect I have with an alloy. Alfa/franchised dealer, said they will take a look, let’s see where it goes 👍
(Post Link) post #15 of 16 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

So why would you put a post about a defect with an alloy wheel in this forum and not expect it to be about an Alfa?? I donít know.
Because you suggested youíd put a post about a defect on your wifeís Nissan in the Giulia section!?
Youíve lost me there.
(Post Link) post #16 of 16 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: DK
The joy of powder coat.
I've always sweared that refurbed wheels should be wet painted. Just as strong, never peels of like that, and just overall a nicer finish.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulia

Tags
19” , delaminating , lacquer , spoke

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page