Quadrifoglio diff replacement - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Ruskins
  • 1 Post By Andy Bowden
  • 1 Post By Finguz
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 11-09-19 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: UK
County: North Yorkshire
Posts: 68
Quadrifoglio diff replacement

My 2018 Quadrifoglio on 14500 miles is currently having it's diff replaced under warranty after I complained about droning/humming, clicking and bearing whine from the rear end.

Is there anybody else on these forums with a 2018 car that has had a diff replaced?

Last edited by Finguz; 11-09-19 at 10:29.
Finguz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: -
AO Member
 
alannmss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: hertfordshire
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finguz View Post
My 2018 Quadrifoglio on 14500 miles is currently having it's diff replaced under warranty after I complained about droning/humming, clicking and bearing whine from the rear end.

Is there anybody else on these forums with a 2018 car that has had a diff replaced?
Not had it changed but my 2018 has the same problem... whine when on motorway, mentioned it at last service but was told it could be just tyre noise ... but itís not and I will certainly be going back about it at some point... good luck hope it cures it .
alannmss is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gloucestershire, England
Posts: 1,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finguz View Post
My 2018 Quadrifoglio on 14500 miles is currently having it's diff replaced under warranty after I complained about droning/humming, clicking and bearing whine from the rear end.

Is there anybody else on these forums with a 2018 car that has had a diff replaced?
There was someone, I forget whom.

Andy
Andy Bowden is online now  
Status: Overcomplicated battery!
AO Silver Member
 
metalgod23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kent
Posts: 1,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bowden View Post
There was someone, I forget whom.

Andy
There are some posts here:
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...f-problem.html (An unusual QF problem)
metalgod23 is offline  
(Post Link) post #5 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Status: Running in
AO Silver Member
 
Ruskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Posts: 1,421
Garage
I had mine replaced under warranty - reported a rattle and they found metal in the diff oil so replaced it - £5000 part!!
Finguz likes this.
Ruskins is offline  
(Post Link) post #6 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: UK
County: North Yorkshire
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskins View Post
I had mine replaced under warranty - reported a rattle and they found metal in the diff oil so replaced it - £5000 part!!
Did they mention what had happened or provide any further details? After it was replaced did you have to get the diff oil changed after several hundred miles or just continue with the regular service schedule?

Last edited by Finguz; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:15.
Finguz is offline  
(Post Link) post #7 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Status: Running in
AO Silver Member
 
Ruskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Posts: 1,421
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finguz View Post
Did they mention what had happened or provide any further details? After it was replaced did you have to get the diff oil changed after several hundred miles or just continue with the regular service schedule?
Motorvogue Bedford did not offer any details other than they were replacing the diff - I didnt get any paperwork either - they were awful.
Ruskins is offline  
(Post Link) post #8 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gloucestershire, England
Posts: 1,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finguz View Post
Did they mention what had happened or provide any further details? After it was replaced did you have to get the diff oil changed after several hundred miles or just continue with the regular service schedule?
The service schedule in the FM does not specify a oil change period for the diff. Leading one to suppose it's a sealed for life unit.

Andy
Finguz likes this.
Andy Bowden is online now  
(Post Link) post #9 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: UK
County: North Yorkshire
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bowden View Post
The service schedule in the FM does not specify a oil change period for the diff. Leading one to suppose it's a sealed for life unit.

Andy
Thanks Andy, I knew there was no specific mention of changing the oil in the manual. The car will hopefully be ready to collect this coming Tuesday and we intend to to spend the next two weeks driving around Scotland in it, so was hoping we wouldn't need an early oil change for the diff. I assume it will be changed periodically during routine servicing every 30 - 60000 miles or so.

Fingers crossed.
Finguz is offline  
(Post Link) post #10 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gloucestershire, England
Posts: 1,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finguz View Post
... I assume it will be changed periodically during routine servicing every 30 - 60000 miles or so.

...
I doubt it. No garage is going to change the oil if it's not mentioned in the service schedule. Like I said I believe it to be sealed for life.

Andy
Andy Bowden is online now  
(Post Link) post #11 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: UK
County: North Yorkshire
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bowden View Post
I doubt it. No garage is going to change the oil if it's not mentioned in the service schedule. Like I said I believe it to be sealed for life.

Andy
Quote:
Which DTC codes were active? The one signaling the need for a differential oil change (C2633-68), perhaps you had C2657-68 or C2658-68, which trigger when wear limits are reached on the clutch packs?
The car will apparently let you/the dealer know when the diff oil or clutch packs require service.
Andy Bowden likes this.
Finguz is offline  
(Post Link) post #12 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gloucestershire, England
Posts: 1,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finguz View Post
Which DTC codes were active? The one signaling the need for a differential oil change (C2633-68), perhaps you had C2657-68 or C2658-68, which trigger when wear limits are reached on the clutch packs?

The car will apparently let you/the dealer know when the diff oil or clutch packs require service.
Useful information thanks. Though as I don't do track days and very rarely use RACE, I'll be disappointed if either warning appears in my ownership of the car, even though I'm intending to keep it for several years more.

Andy
Andy Bowden is online now  
(Post Link) post #13 of 13 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Status: -
AO Member
 
normallybuybmw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Sheffield
County: South Yorkshire
Posts: 302
Like a number of owners I have started to notice a small rattle, driver's side rear quarter. Booked it into Stoneacre Chesterfield and today took the car in for them to investigate. Went out for a drive with a technician and for the life of me couldn't get the car to produce the rattle again. The technician to be fair, said he would take a look and thankfully he identified the o/s/r roll bar link needs replacing. All to be done under warranty.

It's not often I have said this in regards to Alfa Romeo, but in this instance the service I received was first class. Big thank you to Sean the technician @ Alfa Romeo (Stoneacre). He certainly know his stuff in regards to the QV.
normallybuybmw is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulia

Tags
diff , quadrifoglio , replacement

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome