Opinions on this CF spoiler from JC Sportline - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By Unkle Munkle
  • 1 Post By Unkle Munkle
  • 1 Post By PAJ
  • 1 Post By paultrim
  • 1 Post By Istanbul Junkie

(Post Link) post #1 of 22 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: -
Opinions on this CF spoiler from JC Sportline

Hi all,

I haven't stuck this down/fitted this yet but wanted anyone's opinion on how it looks. Car is a Stromboli Grey Giulia Veloce.

I'm not convinced the backing tape would be enough to fit so would probably remove and fit with black Tigerseal to ensure a bit of flexibility in positioning when fitting. There is a tiny gap between the tape and bootlid on the right-hand side so not sure it would make suitable contact which is a bit of a worry.

Quality and packing of the item on the whole is superb but worried about fitting it!

See what you think (sorry for the dodgy number plate disguising!)

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2658.JPG (243.3 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2659.JPG (314.2 KB, 49 views)
Dazza1976 likes this.

Rockin' all over the road in Alfas since 1998 including: 164 TS, 164 QV 24v, 166 3.0 Super, 159 JTDM, 75 TS Veloce, 156 1.8 TS Veloce, Giulietta Cloverleaf and now the Giulia Veloce.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 22 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Silver Member

I fitted the same spoiler and despite concerns about the pre-installed backing tape, after careful pre-heating both the tape and the boot lid with a hair dryer before fitting using the masking tape method it has stayed rock solid over the last year.
(Post Link) post #3 of 22 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

County: -Australia
I had a little gap on one side. I bought some extra 3M tape, plus it was about 45 the day I did it so no need to warm up the tape .
The tape was enough to fill the gap

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
(Post Link) post #4 of 22 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicb205 View Post
I had a little gap on one side. I bought some extra 3M tape, plus it was about 45 the day I did it so no need to warm up the tape .
The tape was enough to fill the gap

Yes, I have some extra tape anyway so may go that route. I just didn't want to see a gap if looking for it (if that makes sense). Did it fully resolve the problem for you? I'm too bl*ody fussy for my own good! I think it makes a fab back-end look even nicer plus it's very light. Will give it some consideration.
Nicb205 likes this.
(Post Link) post #5 of 22 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Silver Member

Remember to clean the surface with panel wipes and put some weight on the spoiler evenly overnight to allow the glue to fully bond. It should keep it stuck down like mine has.
(Post Link) post #6 of 22 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

County: -Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkle Munkle View Post
Yes, I have some extra tape anyway so may go that route. I just didn't want to see a gap if looking for it (if that makes sense). Did it fully resolve the problem for you? I'm too bl*ody fussy for my own good! I think it makes a fab back-end look even nicer plus it's very light. Will give it some consideration.
Yes it did. There's a good thread on here from I think @JNSD
I did make one mistake. When I did the temporary placement and marked it out with blue tape the bottom of the back lip was actually beyond the boot lid. I put the tape not quite to the edge but if you look under the spoiler you can see some of the tape.

(Post Link) post #7 of 22 Old 1 Week Ago
PAJ
AO Silver Member

Garage
I had the same concerns before I fitted my cheap Chinese import too. But I needn't have worried. The supplied tape has been strong enough (18 months after fitting, no issues). I used some clamps to ensure a tight fit overnight as one (the right) side seemed to have a bit of lift in it initially. Obviously I'm biased because I've fitted one, but I think the car looks miles better with the spoiler. I passed a Veloce without one yesterday (a rare thing for me!) and it looked like it was missing something to me from the rear! As others have said, ensure surfaces are clean, and warm things up! I used some kids plasticene to build a frame to slot the spoiler into - didn't like the idea of getting the positioning wrong!
Nicb205 likes this.
(Post Link) post #8 of 22 Old 1 Week Ago
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Landon Tan
Garage
Most important is do you like it?
(Post Link) post #9 of 22 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duemila View Post
Most important is do you like it?
I think so!
(Post Link) post #10 of 22 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAJ View Post
I had the same concerns before I fitted my cheap Chinese import too. But I needn't have worried. The supplied tape has been strong enough (18 months after fitting, no issues). I used some clamps to ensure a tight fit overnight as one (the right) side seemed to have a bit of lift in it initially. Obviously I'm biased because I've fitted one, but I think the car looks miles better with the spoiler. I passed a Veloce without one yesterday (a rare thing for me!) and it looked like it was missing something to me from the rear! As others have said, ensure surfaces are clean, and warm things up! I used some kids plasticene to build a frame to slot the spoiler into - didn't like the idea of getting the positioning wrong!
Yes, there is a slight lift on the right. I couldn't live with a gap and am worried, that once stuck, it's there for life - although I'm sure there is a removal technique if it came to it. It does make the rear end look much more beefy I must admit. If it was a 100% perfect fit that you couldn't get wrong, I'd be more confident!
AO Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

how much less MPG do you get with these spoilers fitted ?
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hector56 View Post
how much less MPG do you get with these spoilers fitted ?
About the same offset in mpg as removing the Veloce badges
PAJ
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Yes, there is a slight lift on the right. I couldn't live with a gap and am worried, that once stuck, it's there for life - although I'm sure there is a removal technique if it came to it. It does make the rear end look much more beefy I must admit. If it was a 100% perfect fit that you couldn't get wrong, I'd be more confident!
- Just for clarity - with the use of a clamp overnight, there is no lift or gap on my spoiler. It looks absolutely flush with the boot. I wouldn't have left it on if it had a gap. Go for it!
AO Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalgod23 View Post
About the same offset in mpg as removing the Veloce badges
Ha Ha as much as that !
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

Giulia Speciale

Didn't bother with a clamp for mine; a good clean; lined it up and bang - it's on
I was a bit dubious about the 3M tape but it really is rock solid
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A2_LI.jpg (152.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg A3_LI.jpg (101.1 KB, 27 views)
(Post Link) post #16 of 22 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAJ View Post
What clamps did you use and how did you clamp it?
PAJ
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
What clamps did you use and how did you clamp it?
I borrowed a pair from a neighbour. I think they were by a manufacturer called Irwin - "Quick Grip" clamps which you can get at Screwfix. I wrapped the heads in cloth to avoid scratching the spoiler/boot. Tightened to a reasonable level and left overnight - one end on the spoiler itself, the other end in the recess where the number plate is.
AO Member

Which 3M tape are you guys using?
AO Member

3M Automotive Acrylic tape

I used this one https://www.amazon.com/3M-06382-Auto.../dp/B00HSCMFDS

It is recommended to also use Adhesion promoter to make the tape bond stronger (https://www.amazon.com/3M-4298-Adhes.../dp/B004TGJU2A) otherwise just clean the surface with diluted isopropyl alcohol.
AO Silver Member

County: Merseyside
When I mocked my spoiler up on the boot it took a while to get it to a position where it looked ok, I always felt it looks 'out' no matter where I placed it.

Anyway, I took the plunge and fitted it and with a bit of weight on the spoiler to keep it seated for the first five minutes it went on perfectly. No faffing, no heating the boot lid or spoiler, didnt apply any alchohol based agents or bonding agents, just gave the boot lid a wipe and went for it. 6000 miles later and lots of motorway driving and its still perfect. Even the dealer said he was impressed with the 'cheap' 100 aftermarket spoiler. Spent the other 900 on QV alloy wheels
Cybrnite likes this.
(Post Link) post #21 of 22 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultrim View Post
When I mocked my spoiler up on the boot it took a while to get it to a position where it looked ok, I always felt it looks 'out' no matter where I placed it.

Anyway, I took the plunge and fitted it and with a bit of weight on the spoiler to keep it seated for the first five minutes it went on perfectly. No faffing, no heating the boot lid or spoiler, didnt apply any alchohol based agents or bonding agents, just gave the boot lid a wipe and went for it. 6000 miles later and lots of motorway driving and its still perfect. Even the dealer said he was impressed with the 'cheap' 100 aftermarket spoiler. Spent the other 900 on QV alloy wheels
That sounds good. Am sure with some clamping and weight etc, the small gaps would close up. However, the car is having a stone chip sorted by my bodyshop on 20th Sept so will get their advice and may get them to fit rather than cocking it up myself!
AO Member

County: Merseyside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybrnite View Post
Didn't bother with a clamp for mine; a good clean; lined it up and bang - it's on
I was a bit dubious about the 3M tape but it really is rock solid
Very Nice and Red leather as well, the colour combination I'm hoping to get.
Cybrnite likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulia

Tags
opinions , spoiler , sportline

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page