Waze - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By 146Nick
  • 1 Post By 146Nick

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 07-09-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

Giulia QV

Waze

Using waze for first time but cannot get it to play audio via thr car, either via USB or bluetooth.

the app says its palying audio via usd but nothing from the car and same when it shows as playing via bluuetooth.

its just playing through the phone it self.

any ideas?

also general question on waze, does it only give audio fixed speed camera and other potential camera warnings when you are speeding? my ohwas ok viewing the symbols popping up but she had to pay attention to it. would be much more useful if it binged an audio warning.

checked settings and had all audio warnings on.

i can live with not having it through car speakers but the lack of audio warnings undermines what could be a very good app.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Member car:

Giulia Veloce Q4

I think I've had Wase "play" through bluetooth before I've forced it to use phone only.
For speed related warning, have a look under "Speedometer" menu option.
The others are configurable as well, under "Alerts & reports"->Reports
AO Silver Member

County: Oxfordshire
We had this using Waze thru our pioneer head unit. As you turn main volume up or down a separate notifications volume appears in the bottom right hand corner of the screen which you have to turn up.

Not sure if this helps........?
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

Giulia QV

Waze works fine for me, I connect my phone via the USB port under the heater controls. I get audio warnings from Waze that play over any radio or music that is currently playing. In the Waze settings, I have "Play sound via" set to "default device", but you can force is to play on the phone speaker or as a "bluetooth phone call". I'd mess about with these settings.

The audible speed camera alerts do only happen when you're speeding, which is annoying. They appear on the screen but no audio when you're under the speed limit. Waze has got better at understanding average speed cameras/roadworks etc and adjusting the speed limit accordingly, but it doesn't work well on the stupid/hateful "smart" motorway variable speed limits.
AO Member

When I use Waze I get an audible warning when going over the speed limit for the road. The speed limit sign on the screen also changes to red to indicate that the speed limit has been exceeded which is a very useful back up visual alert on unfamiliar roads especially if you miss the audible warning. On the alerts & reports settings page I have the Area set to All and the Speedometer to ON. Within the speedometer settings you have a choice to Show speed limit, When to show and Play alert sound.

As Nick says if you set the Sound setting in the Voice and sound menu to "Device default" you should hear it over the car's speakers.
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

Giulia Speciale

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpmmpt View Post
Using waze for first time but cannot get it to play audio via thr car, either via USB or bluetooth.

the app says its palying audio via usd but nothing from the car and same when it shows as playing via bluuetooth.

its just playing through the phone it self.

any ideas?

also general question on waze, does it only give audio fixed speed camera and other potential camera warnings when you are speeding? my ohwas ok viewing the symbols popping up but she had to pay attention to it. would be much more useful if it binged an audio warning.

checked settings and had all audio warnings on.

i can live with not having it through car speakers but the lack of audio warnings undermines what could be a very good app.
Sorry to sound like a 'broken record', but it's a real shame that on such a beautiful car, we have to revert to a 3rd-party Sat-Nav - Alfa should really do something to make us all happy on this negative facet of the car
(Post Link) post #7 of 13 Old 09-09-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybrnite View Post
Sorry to sound like a 'broken record', but it's a real shame that on such a beautiful car, we have to revert to a 3rd-party Sat-Nav - Alfa should really do something to make us all happy on this negative facet of the car
im no fan of the nav but its not unusable. its re routing when you go off route is nonsensical, and on my 2017 car no audible warnings on speed cameras when a route is not set which is stupid, and traffic updates are slow and inaccurate ime, but im only using waze for the extras it offers, like the police reports which are pretty reliable. im just wanting to use waze when i know i will be able to drive spiritedly. the alfa unit needs slight tweaks and i understand some have been done in newer cars but for a basic nav its ok.

coming back from listening to Colonel Halt at Woodbridge on sunday i was at the front of a queue of cars on the a12 overtaken then held up by a marked police car starddling both lanes with its dot matrix saying do not overtake whilst an unmarked car stormed up and dealt with a car up ahead that we eventaully came upon (not sure what had happened (not an accident) assume a criminal being caught). Waze announced stationary car/or obstruction in road ahead as it was happening. i found that astounding. its not gonna catch everything but if you drive a bit faster than the set limit on major roads when its safe occasionally it will help you out. still cant get it on speakers though.
AO Member

Member car:

Giulia Speciale

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpmmpt View Post
im no fan of the nav but its not unusable. its re routing when you go off route is nonsensical, and on my 2017 car no audible warnings on speed cameras when a route is not set which is stupid, and traffic updates are slow and inaccurate ime, but im only using waze for the extras it offers, like the police reports which are pretty reliable. im just wanting to use waze when i know i will be able to drive spiritedly. the alfa unit needs slight tweaks and i understand some have been done in newer cars but for a basic nav its ok.

coming back from listening to Colonel Halt at Woodbridge on sunday i was at the front of a queue of cars on the a12 overtaken then held up by a marked police car starddling both lanes with its dot matrix saying do not overtake whilst an unmarked car stormed up and dealt with a car up ahead that we eventaully came upon (not sure what had happened (not an accident) assume a criminal being caught). Waze announced stationary car/or obstruction in road ahead as it was happening. i found that astounding. its not gonna catch everything but if you drive a bit faster than the set limit on major roads when its safe occasionally it will help you out. still cant get it on speakers though.
@tpmmpt Fully understand where you are coming from! I have Waze installed on my Galaxy Note 10+, and a lovely induction-charger-cradle fixed to my dash, but I haven't used Waze as yet for fear I get hooked - there's a principle in there somewhere

I feel like a 3yr-old in a supermarket tantrum stamping my feet and screaming "It's just not fair!! It's just not fair!!" ... Especially after sitting in my friends new C-Class and drooling over the awesome screen and Nav (yes, they've got rid of the stupid iPad slapped on the dash)
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

Giulia QV

I've used recent versions of BMW, Audi and Mercedes nav and they are very pretty and well integrated but not a patch on Waze for actually getting you somewhere, especially in London. Waze has better data and makes better routing decisions as a result. I use it all the time. It works very well through Carplay in my BMW too, so the only thing I wish for is Carplay in my QV but sadly it's too old. I never use the touchscreen in the BMW either, always operate via the iDrive dial thing so lack of touchscreen in the Giulia isn't a concern for Carplay.
j20eyk and Cybrnite like this.
AO Member

I've no complaints with the OEM system but find Waze to be much better as it's graphics are simple to glance at when driving.

Some systems are too graphic heavy IMHO. Google earth maps might be interesting for passengers to look at but it is more distracting in my experience. A lot of the premium manufactuers are going for fancy graphics which look great in a static demonstration in the showroom but are not quite as easy to quickly take in when on the move and in an unfamiliar area.

The Waze graphics are fairly basic but very easy to take in a first glance. Waze is updated by other users so gives info like mobile speed camera locations, broken down vehicles causing an obstruction, roadworks on minor routes, potholes on the road etc I have several cars and use it in all of the ones with CarPlay where it integrates seemlessly into the car's display.

Google maps works equally well in the Giulia via CarPlay but doesn't have the same level of relevant driving info as Waze.
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

Giulia QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by 146Nick View Post
Waze works fine for me, I connect my phone via the USB port under the heater controls. I get audio warnings from Waze that play over any radio or music that is currently playing.
Turns out I was talking sh1te (I was getting confused with my BMW/Carplay). The audio warnings come through the phone speaker in my QV, but it does work OK for me as long as you remember to turn the volume up. I did try the bluetooth option and it does come through the car audio system, but it's far from slick as it abruptly stops whatever is playing then plays the warning. Would get old very quickly. Carplay reduces the volume of whatever is playing and plays the warning over the top. I'm sticking with using the phone speaker.
(Post Link) post #12 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

Giulia QV

Quote:
Turns out I was talking sh1te (I was getting confused with my BMW/Carplay). The audio warnings come through the phone speaker in my QV, but it does work OK for me as long as you remember to turn the volume up. I did try the bluetooth option and it does come through the car audio system, but it's far from slick as it abruptly stops whatever is playing then plays the warning. Would get old very quickly. Carplay reduces the volume of whatever is playing and plays the warning over the top. I'm sticking with using the phone speaker.
I was talking double-sh1te, sorry. Not sure anyone cares, but Waze does work nicely with the inbuilt audio, as long as the phone is connected (like you'd need to do to play Spotify etc), not just plugged in with the USB. Pretty sure I'm just talking to myself. Goodbye.
Cybrnite likes this.
(Post Link) post #13 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Member car:

Giulia Speciale

Quote:
I was talking double-sh1te, sorry. Not sure anyone cares, but Waze does work nicely with the inbuilt audio, as long as the phone is connected (like you'd need to do to play Spotify etc), not just plugged in with the USB. Pretty sure I'm just talking to myself. Goodbye.
Nope, good post Nick; I thought this would be the case and you confirmed my thoughts

Having said that, the Alfa Nav did good this morning - On my way to Barnsley (got my 'Barnsley Trousers' on - Thick n' Green) it normally takes me A1, M62, M1 and it routes me across the A63 to the M1. I'm thinking typical Alfa Nav; but there was an incident on the M62 which would have cost me 20min.
So all is not lost

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulia

Tags
waze

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page