Android Auto optimized for audio quality? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jwq

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Android Auto optimized for audio quality?

I don't profess to be an audiophile but I do appreciate good high quality audio and have long since discarded all my mp3 files in favour of FLAC and Spotify has been swapped out for Tidal in order to stream Lossless audio.

Now, via Bluetooth Tidal is wasted as the compression that takes place leaves you with marginally better than mp3 quality audio. So when I got my lovely new Giulia with the HK audio system I was quite excited about using Tidal with Android Auto as all the audio is sent via usb and my FLAC files played off a usb drive sound great in the car. However the sound quality is really disappointing off Tidal via AA which got me thinking is this a limitation of AA or could it be my ageing Samsung S6 phone that is the culprit?

Anyone else experienced this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 857
County: Zuid Holland
Garage
Put some lossless files on usb stick and play theses via USB port, as comparison.
A lot of people are not too impressed by the HK system, however, with all the latest firmware updates, it's actually quite good I think, however very dependent on the quality of the source material you use
matty74 likes this.
(Post Link) post #3 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

I have a usb with FLAC files which do sound good. But my point or my question is does Android Auto allow the same quality of audio (lossless FLAC or WAV) as when played straight from a USB stick? I suspect that when playing lossless audio from something like Tidal via the usb cable on android auto the quality is degraded. The biggest difference seems to be a lack of bass and the midrange sounds harsh as a result.

Interestingly when playing the same tracks from Tidal via the aux jack the sound is totally different and I mean night and day. The bass becomes much more pronounced and I find I have to turn the treble and mid back up to 0. Maybe its my phone or the usb cable i'm using which is causing the poor quality when using AA.
(Post Link) post #4 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin
..does each individual input remember it's own EQ setting by any chance, or maybe there's EQ somewhere else in the chain? A lack of bass isn't how you would expect the sound quality to fall off even if it is being sent at lower quality. If there's a sub in the setup maybe that's been taken out over Android Auto for some reason..? Or it could even be just a levels issue.. if the level coming in is very low the amp will have nothing to get hold of, if that makes any sense..

Last edited by mick164; 1 Week Ago at 07:30.
(Post Link) post #5 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

County: -
Audio quality is a general problem in these cars, it seems. The OEM systems (even HK) sound terrible to a lot of people.

That is why many of us chose to have other systems retrofitted. Having the power-amp in the boot helps making it an easy job. Many threads exist on the matter.
Mine is an Audison-box with full EQ, filters, delays and level controls for each speaker - this helps a lot.

On top of that, using a USB-dac directly into the new preamp provides maximum control.
However, even the built-in bluetooth connectivity is much improved now.

Android Auto would allow for the same initial quality as USB-dac audio (same transport mechanism, over USB>HDMI).
It would be let down by the factory preamp though. Weakest link in the chain and so on...
(Post Link) post #6 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Garage
I just listen to the engine
(Post Link) post #7 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick164 View Post
..does each individual input remember it's own EQ setting by any chance, or maybe there's EQ somewhere else in the chain? A lack of bass isn't how you would expect the sound quality to fall off even if it is being sent at lower quality. If there's a sub in the setup maybe that's been taken out over Android Auto for some reason..? Or it could even be just a levels issue.. if the level coming in is very low the amp will have nothing to get hold of, if that makes any sense..
I think you have a good point. It does seem as though it's a different EQ as in voice optimised for message alerts and so on. Every now and then I swear it sounds fine, but then I switch track and the bass has dropped right off again.

On a secondary not, Tidal's integration into Android Auto is pretty terrible
(Post Link) post #8 of 9 Old 6 Days Ago
kgb
AO Silver Member

County: -
Problem with AA (android) is that uses BT to transfer the sound... at least in the Spotify case... so it switches down to the base audio quality. Not sure about Tidal but it should be the same.
(Post Link) post #9 of 9 Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

As I understand all audio is via usb. I've been reading some posts on the Google forum and it seems poor audio quality via AA is a common theme across many different car manufacturers and different phones too so seems this is an inherent problem with Android auto. Think for the time being I'm gonna ditch AA. Pretty disappointed with the whole thing tbh.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulia

Tags
android , audio , auto , optimized , quality

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page