Giulia ACC retrofit success - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By paulryan1234
  • 1 Post By jwq
  • 1 Post By paulryan1234
  • 1 Post By jwq
  • 1 Post By jwq

(Post Link) post #1 of 17 Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Limerick

Member car:

159 JTDM

Giulia ACC retrofit success

Hi all

I fitted ACC to my 2017 Giulia today.

Following this guide.

https://www.stelvioforum.com/forum/267-alfa-romeo-stelvio-diy-how/10547-adaptive-cruise-control-acc-installation.html#/topics/10547?page=1

I got the part from shop4parts. £36.52 plus vat. Part number 0156146359-001

Only difference i found to the guide was I had to activate ACC+ not just ACC. Otherwise I would get a proxi fail. This held me up for 2 hours.

Apart from this I had the job done in under 1 hour

Usual disclaimer about not being able to get the ACC ABS recall.
Andy Bowden and tipchi like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulryan1234 View Post
Usual disclaimer about not being able to get the ACC ABS recall.
What does this bit mean?
AO Platinum Member

Sounds interesting.
How knowledgable would an insurance company or Alfa Romeo be if something happened with a car not originally supplied with ACC?
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 857
County: Zuid Holland
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty156 View Post
What does this bit mean?
There was a published recall for the adaptive CC, indicating that there was a small chance the CC would not stop by itsself in time.... A firmware update for this was introduced, However, if you activate the CC+ yourself, the registration of the car will not reflect you have CC+, and there is no way for the update to be applied.....

see
https://europe.autonews.com/automake...cles-worldwide
cue2 likes this.

Last edited by jwq; 1 Day Ago at 08:25.
AO Platinum Member

“the adaptive cruise control can be deactivated with firm, sustained brake-pedal application. But FCA advises customers against using the feature until the software is updated”
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwq View Post
...However, if you activate the CC+ yourself, the registration of the car will not reflect you have CC+, and there is no way for the update to be applied.....
I'm not sure that is completely true.

Certainly, a car built without ACC won't be recalled for the software update.

However, I'd guess that if one takes a car to a dealer or good independent and asks for all it's ECUs to be updated to the latest software version all might be well.

Do we know which ECU(s) get updated under the recall? I doubt if it is just ABS.

If someone who has ACC and has had the recall, could use MES to check the ECUs' software versions that might be informative.

Andy
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
What does this bit mean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bowden View Post
I'm not sure that is completely true.

Certainly, a car built without ACC won't be recalled for the software update.

However, I'd guess that if one takes a car to a dealer or good independent and asks for all it's ECUs to be updated to the latest software version all might be well.

Do we know which ECU(s) get updated under the recall? I doubt if it is just ABS.

If someone who has ACC and has had the recall, could use MES to check the ECUs' software versions that might be informative.

Andy
A number of people (Europe and USA) have indeed reported that the update in this case was not implemented.....

Contrary to the early days, when there were continual updates, I get the impression that currently dealers (Alfa policy ?) do not automatically update all modules anymore during a service.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Contrary to the early days, when there were continual updates, I get the impression that currently dealers (Alfa policy ?) do not automatically update all modules anymore during a service.
Agreed, I did say ask and there might well be a charge involved. One might well have more success with one of the few independents with WiTech2.

Andy
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bowden View Post
Agreed, I did say ask and there might well be a charge involved. One might well have more success with one of the few independents with WiTech2.

Andy
Maybe, but I also get the impression that the availability of updates is also based on the registered options for your VIN.
If your VIN does not indicate that you have CC+, the option will simply not be available in Witech. So you would first need to somehow change the registered options for your car .....
(Post Link) post #10 of 17 Old 1 Day Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Limerick

Member car:

159 JTDM

My Giulia is going in for some warranty work next Month. I'll be asking them to carry out the recall if possible
jwq likes this.
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Garage
Quote:
Maybe, but I also get the impression that the availability of updates is also based on the registered options for your VIN.
If your VIN does not indicate that you have CC+, the option will simply not be available in Witech. So you would first need to somehow change the registered options for your car .....
Also greatly depends on your dealer as my car has never had any ECU updates applied by them despite being in for servicing twice.

However the car has run flawlessly since I bought it so I personally have no issues with that as I am great believer in the "If its not f#*#*d dont fix it" school of thought!
(Post Link) post #12 of 17 Old 13 Hours Ago
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketbot View Post
Also greatly depends on your dealer as my car has never had any ECU updates applied by them despite being in for servicing twice.

However the car has run flawlessly since I bought it so I personally have no issues with that as I am great believer in the "If its not f#*#*d dont fix it" school of thought!
And that's the very reason they don't apply updates automatically as a matter of course (according to the tech at my local dealer, they're told not to apply updates unless told to).
(Post Link) post #13 of 17 Old 12 Hours Ago
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
And that's the very reason they don't apply updates automatically as a matter of course (according to the tech at my local dealer, they're told not to apply updates unless told to).
I work on the principle that usually there must be a good reason for most updates
specially on a newly developed car, with a lot of new electronic systems....
Andy Bowden likes this.
(Post Link) post #14 of 17 Old 10 Hours Ago
AO Member

Quote:
I was told the same thing. They dont update unless issues reported by the owner or service news requires update.
(Post Link) post #15 of 17 Old 10 Hours Ago
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rank1 View Post
I was told the same thing. They dont update unless issues reported by the owner or service news requires update.
Having a suspicious nature, I suspect the fact that these updates often take some time, and need to be payed for by Alfa, might also have something to do with it
bucketbot likes this.
(Post Link) post #16 of 17 Old 8 Hours Ago
AO Member

Quote:
Having a suspicious nature, I suspect the fact that these updates often take some time, and need to be payed for by Alfa, might also have something to do with it
They said that they dont do it because sometimes customers complain after the update changes the look of the interface or functionality. They cant downgrade to previous version. Yeah, long update time could also be one of the reasons.
(Post Link) post #17 of 17 Old 8 Hours Ago
AO Platinum Member

A bit like turning your tv on only to find that it’s been updated as you slept and the startup screen has changed!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulia

Tags
acc , giulia , retrofit , success

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page