Race mode 2.0 giulia - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 11Likes
  • 3 Post By jwq
  • 2 Post By RomeoBear
  • 1 Post By epsonix
  • 2 Post By compert
  • 1 Post By jwq
  • 2 Post By jwq

(Post Link) post #1 of 20 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 857
County: Zuid Holland
Garage
Race mode 2.0 giulia

Just noticed that Squadra tuning can now enable "Race Mode" on "standard" giulia's, see :
https://www.facebook.com/squadratuni...54850204613329

<quote>
HOT NEWS!

We zijn erin geslaagd de DNA "Race" setting te activeren bij een niet-Q Giulia. We zijn begonnen met de "normale" Giulia 2.0 Turbo Euro 6B en vervolgens een Giulia 2.0 T Euro6D (nieuwe DNA knop). Onze eerste testauto was tevens voorzien van het adaptieve schokdemper systeem en het blijkt dat ook die is voorbereid op een nog hardere stand dan de Dynamic stand voor de schokdempers. Het instrumenten paneel bevestigd dat ook keurig.

In tegenstelling tot onze ABS/TC off EOBD dongle betreft dit geen hardware (op de montage van een nieuwe DNA+Race knop na) maar een software programmering.

Binnenkort meer resultaten van de overige versies.

Translation:
Hot News !
We have succeded in activating the DNA "Race" mode on a non-Q Giulia. We have started with the "normal" Giulia 2.0 turbo Euro 6B and subsequently a Giulia 2.0 T Euro 6D (with the new DNA switch). The first test car was also equiped with the electronic dampers and it appeared that also this is prepared for an even firmer position then dynamic for the shocks. The instrument panel also shows this.

Contrary to our ABS/TC off eobd dongle this does not involve hardware (other then installing a new DNA+Race knob) but "just" software programming.
Soon more results on other versions...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Knipsel.JPG (76.0 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by jwq; 1 Week Ago at 10:14.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 20 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

County: Cornwall
Oh my
(Post Link) post #3 of 20 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Shad86 View Post
Oh my
What does race mode do on std 2.0 - does it give more power ?
(Post Link) post #4 of 20 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

3 Veloce’s..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hector56 View Post
I expect it will switch the TC off and by the sound of it stiffen the dampers over and above dynamic settings, if you have the performance pack.
Not sure if you need the new style DNA switch though, the old style only has three fixed positions, where as the new one, as I understand it, is a spring switch which returns to centre position.
(Post Link) post #5 of 20 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hector56 View Post
You need the Quad 4-position DNA switch as replacement....
As seen on the dash pic, it disables a lot of the nanny's like asr and esr, as well as adjusting some of the systems (f.i. disable start/stop). I would assume it has more or less the same effect as on the quad, see :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dna settings.jpg (144.5 KB, 95 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DNA settings.pdf (302.9 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by jwq; 1 Week Ago at 16:58.
(Post Link) post #6 of 20 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

County: USA

Member car:

Giulia ti Q4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwq View Post
Just noticed that Squadra tuning can now enable "Race Mode" on "standard" giulia's, see :
https://www.facebook.com/squadratuni...54850204613329

<quote>
HOT NEWS!

We zijn erin geslaagd de DNA "Race" setting te activeren bij een niet-Q Giulia. We zijn begonnen met de "normale" Giulia 2.0 Turbo Euro 6B en vervolgens een Giulia 2.0 T Euro6D (nieuwe DNA knop). Onze eerste testauto was tevens voorzien van het adaptieve schokdemper systeem en het blijkt dat ook die is voorbereid op een nog hardere stand dan de Dynamic stand voor de schokdempers. Het instrumenten paneel bevestigd dat ook keurig.

In tegenstelling tot onze ABS/TC off EOBD dongle betreft dit geen hardware (op de montage van een nieuwe DNA+Race knop na) maar een software programmering.

Binnenkort meer resultaten van de overige versies.

Translation:
Hot News !
We have succeded in activating the DNA "Race" mode on a non-Q Giulia. We have started with the "normal" Giulia 2.0 turbo Euro 6B and subsequently a Giulia 2.0 T Euro 6D (with the new DNA switch). The first test car was also equiped with the electronic dampers and it appeared that also this is prepared for an even firmer position then dynamic for the shocks. The instrument panel also shows this.

Contrary to our ABS/TC off eobd dongle this does not involve hardware (other then installing a new DNA+Race knob) but "just" software programming.
Soon more results on other versions...
Great news.
(Post Link) post #7 of 20 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfissimoInternational View Post
Great news.
Love it!
Letís do it
(Post Link) post #8 of 20 Old 3 Days Ago
AO Member

County: London
Exchanged emails with Squadra. Announcement due on website for their work on race mode for 2.0l and also they are imminently about to offer self customisable mapping solution. He did warn that self mapping solution would require minor skills. Was not giving away if they were planning to offer race mode as a service soon or how much.
jwq and rank1 like this.
(Post Link) post #9 of 20 Old 3 Days Ago
AO Member

County: Bielsko-Biala
Garage
guys, it seems like elegant solution, but I didn't went for it when I hed a chance, as I expected it may be very temporary, and I was right. 3 weeks ago, Italin guy from EngCustom (Lio, very nice guy) was doing many retrofits in ~20 Giulia/Stelvios for polish forum members, including a few cars went for Race mode selector/activation. in standard 2.0/2.2. Race mode deactivates all TC/ESP nannys as expected, of course needs proper selector. There is a catch though. My friend went for this upgrade, week later went to dealer as coolant started leaking from around turbine. they also connected Witech, for some reason did reset car config, and the Race mode is gone...

Squadra dongle as far seems like safer, there is only 2 things about it - you see circle of warnings on instrument panel after activating (nothing can be done about this), and the price is quite high. Howerver, after holidays I plan to step into my new business full time (still tied with current contract), one of many things on the to develop list is to do similar dongle like Squadra, but at much more competitive price. Will let you know once ready.
Karl_Shad86 likes this.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsonix View Post
guys, it seems like elegant solution, but I didn't went for it when I hed a chance, as I expected it may be very temporary, and I was right. 3 weeks ago, Italin guy from EngCustom (Lio, very nice guy) was doing many retrofits in ~20 Giulia/Stelvios for polish forum members, including a few cars went for Race mode selector/activation. in standard 2.0/2.2. Race mode deactivates all TC/ESP nannys as expected, of course needs proper selector. There is a catch though. My friend went for this upgrade, week later went to dealer as coolant started leaking from around turbine. they also connected Witech, for some reason did reset car config, and the Race mode is gone...
Well that is the case with any codings or remaps - just dont connect it to the dealers software (I guess a bit difficult while in warranty).
Race mode is better than the dongle because it does not disable ABS
jwq and stocki like this.
(Post Link) post #11 of 20 Old 3 Days Ago Thread Starter
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
I'm not a huge fan of the dongle, as it switches off a lot of the assist systems, also the ones you would like to keep active, and is a bit of a mess activating/de-activating ....
stocki likes this.
(Post Link) post #12 of 20 Old 3 Days Ago Thread Starter
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
..... There is a catch though. My friend went for this upgrade, week later went to dealer as coolant started leaking from around turbine. they also connected Witech, for some reason did reset car config, and the Race mode is gone...
I know a lot of people who have had their 200 Hp mapped to 280 Hp etc., not heard any problems yet due to reset yet....
However, as mentioned, with any tune there is that risk, specially initially when there are still a lot of "official" updates. However, most good tuners will simply re-install the tune for you free of charge in that case.....

Last edited by jwq; 3 Days Ago at 08:28.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
I know a lot of people who have had their 200 Hp mapped to 280 Hp etc., not heard any problems yet due to reset yet....
However, as mentioned, with any tune there is that risk, specially initially when there are still a lot of "official" updates. However, most good tuners will simply re-install the tune for you free of charge in that case.....
in terms of ecu map, my friend didnt lost this, only he lost were race mode, rear camera and acc, 2 latter he reactivated with MES no problem but race mode is gone. free of charge reactivation by tuner is ok if you have guy locally, but if Squadra is 1000km away and Eng Custom even farer, and car is on 2-3 years of warranty still, then it is not good at this stage to get race done that way
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
I'm not a huge fan of the dongle, as it switches off a lot of the assist systems, also the ones you would like to keep active, and is a bit of a mess activating/de-activating ....
really? on the track you want any nannys? doubt so, you want only acceleration and brakes.

what mess? click and set of warnings displayed is not that much of hassle, it is maybe not elegant but not any big thing to call it mess IMHO
AO Member

Quote:
in terms of ecu map, my friend didnt lost this, only he lost were race mode, rear camera and acc, 2 latter he reactivated with MES no problem but race mode is gone. free of charge reactivation by tuner is ok if you have guy locally, but if Squadra is 1000km away and Eng Custom even farer, and car is on 2-3 years of warranty still, then it is not good at this stage to get race done that way
This highlights the point, that race mode is only a coding (as well as acc and rear camera).
In the car's VIN those options are not included and therefore removed when the body computer is connected (does not even have to be updated). The tuning is not on the body computer but the engine control unit. As long as this is not updated, the tuning will remain.

It happens on other brands as well

Last edited by compert; 3 Days Ago at 11:06.
(Post Link) post #16 of 20 Old 3 Days Ago Thread Starter
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
really? on the track you want any nannys? doubt so, you want only acceleration and brakes.

what mess? click and set of warnings displayed is not that much of hassle, it is maybe not elegant but not any big thing to call it mess IMHO
Matter of opinion of course, and everyone should do what they want

However, it disables:
- ABS
- Generates warnings re braking system on dash
- ESC (Electronic Stability Control) not available
- System for Traction Control not available but also over/understeer control
- Elektronic parking brake non operational
- Hill Holder non operational”
- AST (Alfa steering Torque) not available”
- No electronic dampers available
- Automatic Highbeam not available
- FCW working front camera reduced, warning

In case you cannot reactivate systems:
“reanimate” procedure. Switch ignition on/off 3 times, wait 3 to 5 seconds between switch on/off. After 3rd time ABS should have reset

Also note it will not work with SGW, so most people will need the security bypass. Also you cannot leave it installed after use, as it will drain the battery
Andy Bowden and compert like this.

Last edited by jwq; 3 Days Ago at 10:09.
AO Member

Garage
I apprecitate your preferences, but since all these system are disabled, then message about such a fact is not that unreasonable - in some way it is strong safety reminder for the driver. On the track you do not want FCW or other things popping in all the time, so set of disabled systems is adequate for no nannys use, and so you get exact warning messages (not errors like you called it elsewhere- these are not errors as they are not stored as DTC errors).

Yes, Squadra Tunning dongle solution is not perfect, there are more elegant ways of designing such dongle so it woudl not drain battery and that reanimate procedure wont be needed likely (need to look at what is all about, but sure solution can be found), also their dongle is too big.

I understad that price of nearly EUR400 is a lot of money, and so your scepticism. But what if you were able to buy such for 1/3rd or 1/4th of the price and it woudl be way more polished/handy in use?
(Post Link) post #18 of 20 Old 2 Days Ago Thread Starter
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
I understand that price of nearly EUR400 is a lot of money, and so your scepticism. But what if you were able to buy such for 1/3rd or 1/4th of the price and it would be way more polished/handy in use?
Actually, I would not be your typical customer, I'm very happy with the way the systems on my car work. I do of course have 4-wheel drive, LSD, electronic dampers etc. so the systems actually almost never interfere in an intrusive way .....

Also I wonder how many people actually use a car on the track, I suspect very few, and there are a lot of other parts that are not really up to track use in standard form, the brakes being one of the most important ones that come to mind ...
It's a fairly big, heavy car, not the first thing that comes to mind as a track tool

On a side note, probably not too important to people, disabling a number of the security systems whilst driving on public roads would negate the type approval of course, and could cause issues in case of accidents.....

Last edited by jwq; 2 Days Ago at 08:40.
AO Member

Garage
yes, no nannys setup is niche market, I'm well aware of this, and so probably price from ST is at the high side (no production volumes to split development costs). I will though do this module anyway, as I want to step into CAN protocols/car units for other future products (not only for Alfa).
AO Member

County: London
In terms of no nannies. I would be happy to lose abs for the track, except cars with no abs iv had in the past gave you feel through the pedal when you were about to lock up and you then ease off the brake. I believe the brake by wire system would not give this feedback.

A must in terms of nannies on track to turn off is the forward collision warning and automated brake is a must. Have tried to manually turn off before each session but occasionally forgot. Got quite a shock when the car applied the brake! Happy to have on the road but is not compatible with track driving norms.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulia

Tags
giulia , mode , race

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page