Headlight converters Giulia Veloce - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sir Baloney

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

GT

So taking her for a bit of a lengthy road trip soon (all the way to Hungary for the F1 no less). Please forgive if a silly question. But as I have xenons do I need to have the headlight converters stuck on?

Had them for my GT a few years back but they did leave a nice faint ring that nothing could remove!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

I have used Eurolites four times now. You need them to conform to regulations and especially as you wouldn't want to dazzle oncoming vehicles in long tunnels like the Gotthard. Border crossings, particularly Switzerland, do seem to be observing vehicles more diligently and checking for the correct stickers on your screen. You need vignettes for Switzerland, Austria and Hungary.
Eurolites clean off easily with methylated spirit.
Andy Bowden likes this.
(Post Link) post #3 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: UK

Member car:

Giulia Speciale

Virtually none of the foreign vehicles that come to Britain from the continent bother about this.
(Post Link) post #4 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Oxfordshire
For the avoidance of doubt about whether or not you ought to 'bother' with Eurolites deflectors:

It doesn't matter what lighting technology your Giulia has (i.e. Halogen, 25W HID or even adaptive 35W HID), they all ought to have stick-on beam deflectors when driving on the continent because there is no built-in provision, neither manual nor automatic, to alter setting for LHD/RHD.

It seems to be the norm not to bother, indeed I didn't bother with them myself, but in order to comply with regs, they ought to be fitted.
(Post Link) post #5 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire
The 25W HID lamps have a height adjuster on the dashboard. Having driven extensively in France and Italy I find by lowering the lamps one notch (setting 1) that I have never had a complaint from oncoming vehicles.
(Post Link) post #6 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Baloney View Post
I have used Eurolites four times now. You need them to conform to regulations and especially as you wouldn't want to dazzle oncoming vehicles in long tunnels like the Gotthard. Border crossings, particularly Switzerland, do seem to be observing vehicles more diligently and checking for the correct stickers on your screen. You need vignettes for Switzerland, Austria and Hungary.
Eurolites clean off easily with methylated spirit.
Thanks for that. Did a round trip to Milan on to Budapest then back home through Germany and yes the swiss were very observant of my GT, even "politely" informed a side bulb gone (of course on the way there!).

So grubby stickers it is then. Thanks for the advice, just heard obviously some do, some dont but better to prepped than have difficult conversations with those that woke up on the wrong side!
(Post Link) post #7 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire
FYI - this statement appears in the latest owners manual, it was not there at all up until the beginning of 2019.

ADJUSTING THE HEADLIGHTS WHEN
ABROAD
Dipped beam headlights are adjusted for
driving in the country where the vehicle
was originally purchased.
When travelling in countries with
opposite driving direction, to avoid
dazzling the drivers on the other side of
the road, you need to cover areas of the
headlight according to the Highway Code
of the country you are travelling in.
(Post Link) post #8 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

Giulia 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfred View Post
FYI - this statement appears in the latest owners manual, it was not there at all up until the beginning of 2019.

ADJUSTING THE HEADLIGHTS WHEN
ABROAD
Dipped beam headlights are adjusted for
driving in the country where the vehicle
was originally purchased.
When travelling in countries with
opposite driving direction, to avoid
dazzling the drivers on the other side of
the road, you need to cover areas of the
headlight according to the Highway Code
of the country you are travelling in.
There is no mention at all in the handbook of my late 2017 car, which has done most of its mileage on the other side of the Channel. Headlight adjustment was a big concern when I bought it, the dealer had no idea, and he asked ARUK, who didn't seem too sure either. We eventually decided that the beams had a flat top pattern, and no stick-ons were needed, so I never used them. My garage door confirmed that the beams seem to be OK for driving on the right. About half my foreign Giulia mileage has been in France, the rest in Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands. The French are the most determined light flashers in Europe, and not one of them has ever flashed my Alfa, which I think means that they must be OK. My car is on standard halogens by the way, which seem perfectly adequate. Not sure if things would be different with Xenons, the three that cars that came before the Alfa were Mercedes, and all with Xenons, the first two needed dashboard adjustment, but the last one didn't, and again they didn't seem to upset non-UK road users. Maybe the foreigners are more tolerant these days, years ago, the froggies used to flash everything without yellow tinted headlights.
(Post Link) post #9 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago

County: Lanarkshire

Member car:

Giulia Speciale

Quote:
Originally Posted by giuliaRob View Post
There is no mention at all in the handbook of my late 2017 car, which has done most of its mileage on the other side of the Channel. Headlight adjustment was a big concern when I bought it, the dealer had no idea, and he asked ARUK, who didn't seem too sure either. We eventually decided that the beams had a flat top pattern, and no stick-ons were needed, so I never used them. My garage door confirmed that the beams seem to be OK for driving on the right. About half my foreign Giulia mileage has been in France, the rest in Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands. The French are the most determined light flashers in Europe, and not one of them has ever flashed my Alfa, which I think means that they must be OK. My car is on standard halogens by the way, which seem perfectly adequate. Not sure if things would be different with Xenons, the three that cars that came before the Alfa were Mercedes, and all with Xenons, the first two needed dashboard adjustment, but the last one didn't, and again they didn't seem to upset non-UK road users. Maybe the foreigners are more tolerant these days, years ago, the froggies used to flash everything without yellow tinted headlights.
I drive to Italy every year. 25W HIDs on my Speciale. First year in the absence of any direction or advice from either the Manual or dealers I started off without any deflectors. Many flashings followed, so not wishing to be impolite (bad manners from visitors here does not excuse reciprocal behaviour in my view), I popped the Eurolites I had in my door pocket on. No more flashing. Alcohol removes the glue on return to UK.
(Post Link) post #10 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

Giulia 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekman View Post
I drive to Italy every year. 25W HIDs on my Speciale. First year in the absence of any direction or advice from either the Manual or dealers I started off without any deflectors. Many flashings followed, so not wishing to be impolite (bad manners from visitors here does not excuse reciprocal behaviour in my view), I popped the Eurolites I had in my door pocket on. No more flashing. Alcohol removes the glue on return to UK.
Elfred's earlier suggestion is good, just lower the beams by one click on the dashboard control, especially if you have rear seat passengers or a full boot. I've never even done that, but maybe different Alfa dealers set the aim slightly differently, but as I said, no-one has ever flashed me.
(Post Link) post #11 of 11 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Landon Tan
Garage
I would use the eurolites, the car has rhd lights for a reason,

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulia

Tags
converters , giulia , headlight , veloce

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page