Android Auto Help (and yes, I've tried searching) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 7Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Android Auto Help (and yes, I've tried searching)

Good afternoon,

I have had a god search through previous threads, but can't really find a definitive answer

We have just picked up a new Giulia Veloce, the Bluetooth works perfectly, but for the life of me I can't physically connect the phone to get the Android Auto working

I have tried

New Data cable
Reinstalled app on phone
Checked version of Android (v8)
Learnt that you have to enable data transfer from the USB on the phone
Tried connecting it and restarting phone (which prompts it to ask if will allow data transfer)
Looked through menu on car (there is a section for AA, but it's just the screen display)

I can't get the icon on the screen

So - my question is

Has anyone got it working 1st time?
Does it need enabling somehow?
Is it worth the hassle ?

I've spoken to AR Customer services, who litrally had no idea what I was talking about - I;ve also spoken to the local main dealer, who also didn't know what I was on about

I have also emailed ARUK - still waiting for an answer

Cheers in advance

Sorry if this is a much asked question - even a link to previous answers would be appreciated as I've not logged in for many years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 857
County: Zuid Holland
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig. Pesci View Post
Good afternoon,

I have had a god search through previous threads, but can't really find a definitive answer

We have just picked up a new Giulia Veloce, the Bluetooth works perfectly, but for the life of me I can't physically connect the phone to get the Android Auto working
Which production year is your giulia ?
It it's an older model (2017 start 2018) it is not capable of AA/ACP
(Post Link) post #3 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwq View Post
Which production year is your giulia ?
It it's an older model (2017 start 2018) it is not capable of AA/ACP
It's brand new
(Post Link) post #4 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
It's brand new
In that case, what's the software version number of the infotainment ?
(Post Link) post #5 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Quote:
In that case, what's the software version number of the infotainment ?
Good question - will need to go and look up how to find out and then go and search
(Post Link) post #6 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Good question - will need to go and look up how to find out and then go and search
relatively simple....
On the infotainment, go to "settings"
then "system" > "software update" > "current version"
(Post Link) post #7 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Quote:
relatively simple....
On the infotainment, go to "settings"
then "system" > "software update" > "current version"
Thanks - I'll have a look when I go out to the car next

Have you actually (or anyone you know) got the system to work ?

I've searched high and low and not found anyone using it
(Post Link) post #8 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Thanks - I'll have a look when I go out to the car next

Have you actually (or anyone you know) got the system to work ?

I've searched high and low and not found anyone using it
Yes, there are a lot of people on the fora using it, assuming you have the correct hard- and software, and it has been enabled.....
(Post Link) post #9 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Good to know

Software is

MV-072.001.002
TV-072.001.002

It says there are no updates, although I'm assuing it would need to be connected via a USB to updatye?
(Post Link) post #10 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Good to know

Software is

MV-072.001.002
TV-072.001.002

It says there are no updates, although I'm assuing it would need to be connected via a USB to update?
Currently, the only official way to update the infotainment firmware is via the dealer.... Maps you can do yourself ....
However, judging from your firmware version, you have the latest hardware and fairly recent firmware version capable of AA/ACP.
Could still be that it's not enabled though, you'd need your dealer to check that ....
(Post Link) post #11 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Quote:
Currently, the only official way to update the infotainment firmware is via the dealer.... Maps you can do yourself ....
However, judging from your firmware version, you have the latest hardware and fairly recent firmware version capable of AA/ACP.
Could still be that it's not enabled though, you'd need your dealer to check that ....
Brilliant - that is what I suspected

Possibly saved me a lot of trying, I'll speak to deal and see how I get it enabled

Thanks
(Post Link) post #12 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Bielsko-Biala
Garage
Quote:
Good afternoon,

I have tried

New Data cable
Reinstalled app on phone
Checked version of Android (v8)
Learnt that you have to enable data transfer from the USB on the phone
Tried connecting it and restarting phone (which prompts it to ask if will allow data transfer)
Looked through menu on car (there is a section for AA, but it's just the screen display)

I can't get the icon on the screen

So - my question is

Has anyone got it working 1st time?
Does it need enabling somehow?
Is it worth the hassle ?

I've spoken to AR Customer services, who litrally had no idea what I was talking about - I;ve also spoken to the local main dealer, who also didn't know what I was on about

I have also emailed ARUK - still waiting for an answer

Cheers in advance

Sorry if this is a much asked question - even a link to previous answers would be appreciated as I've not logged in for many years
Is your phone/cable working in other cars with AA/CP in dealer's showroom?

Do you have dual USB hub in armrest? its must. asking as it happened sometimes that ordered cars came from factory with some lacks - e.g. friend of mine ordered with ACC (And on the order it was this option) but got car without (just yesterday we retrofitted this) - at the end there are always people in the chain and people tend to do mistakes. There was a guy on this formum who shown pictures of blank/empty usb hub he got in his brand new car!

Other option is that AA is not activated in radio? Ask dealer to check your official sales codes assigned to your car, and also with their Witech2 OBD tool connect to radio (ETM) and see if the setting for Android Auto/Car Play is enabled there. If not, ask to enable, then close the car fully for a few minutes to force radio power down, and then if enabled it should work.
(Post Link) post #13 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Garage
One more, do you have in Infotainment menu one setting which is related to Android Auto - it is about day/night colour schema. If so, then I guess you have it activated in radio at least, but may be hub or something with your phone/cable.
(Post Link) post #14 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsonix View Post
One more, do you have in Infotainment menu one setting which is related to Android Auto - it is about day/night colour schema. If so, then I guess you have it activated in radio at least, but may be hub or something with your phone/cable.
Thanks - yes, that is the only thing I can find in the menu (colour scheme)

I've tried multiple cables, including the original one from the phone and checked they all transfer data

Phone need tricking into not defaulting to charge only mode, but apparently that's an android feature on the latest version

It does have all the extra usb points and they all work (checked everything)

Closest I've got to it working was by restarting phone while connected via cable, it recognised it was connected to something - asked to allow transfer of data and started AA on the phone, but then nothing

Guess it's speak to dealer next, but judging by response of local dealership, I'll not hold my breath as they had no idea what I was talking about
(Post Link) post #15 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago

County: Denmark
Quote:
Thanks - yes, that is the only thing I can find in the menu (colour scheme)

I've tried multiple cables, including the original one from the phone and checked they all transfer data

Phone need tricking into not defaulting to charge only mode, but apparently that's an android feature on the latest version

It does have all the extra usb points and they all work (checked everything)

Closest I've got to it working was by restarting phone while connected via cable, it recognised it was connected to something - asked to allow transfer of data and started AA on the phone, but then nothing

Guess it's speak to dealer next, but judging by response of local dealership, I'll not hold my breath as they had no idea what I was talking about

My new car with same firmware version (I think) is having issues with AA either not working or keeps dropping the connection. My dealer had my car for a week for testing and had a person from Italy to look at it and they couldn't find the problem and ordered a new unit that is being installed next week.

Don't know if it is the same issue as me. I couldn't update maps either. The USB stick kept either being dropped or not seen. Multiple phones, cables and usb stick have been tested, and they all work in a Stelvio
Sig. Pesci likes this.
(Post Link) post #16 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandyLee View Post

Looks even better in an Alfa.

Andy
(Post Link) post #17 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

mine was a matter of plug it in, follow the instructions on the phone and away you go..... i use it every time i drive and it's indispensable for me.

So, it sounds like either there is a problem with the car or the phone
(Post Link) post #18 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Garage
@SiG .Pesci best to try different phone at least to confirm if it is car radio side OK. i sniff problem is rather on your phone setup, maybe some developer settings would need change?

fyi with my phones it hapoens occasionalky that i need to reboot the phone as aa does not start anymore on the phone
(Post Link) post #19 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsonix View Post
@SiG .Pesci best to try different phone at least to confirm if it is car radio side OK. i sniff problem is rather on your phone setup, maybe some developer settings would need change?

fyi with my phones it hapoens occasionalky that i need to reboot the phone as aa does not start anymore on the phone
Thanks - that's next course of action, need to borrow Mrs' phone and try that

I have found out that the latest version of Android need the settings changed manually via the developer settings to allow data transfer, which is a pain and it seems to keep returning itself

I'm starting to think I'm happy with the normal Bluetooth settings anyway - the fitted SatNav is fine, music from a memory stick and radio is more than enough (never listen to streamed music from any of the online services), and many of the other message services I'd switch off anyway as I view my time in the car as a break from clients contacting me (people always want to give you information you can't write down or remember, even when you tell them you're driving !!)
matty74 likes this.
(Post Link) post #20 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

3 Veloce’s..!

Iíve found the standard sat nav fine for normal use Andrew. I guess like me you make your own mind up on the route and just follow sat nav for the last few miles or awkward junctions.
The rather basic traffic reporting seems to work quite well, meaning at least you know when hold ups are likely to occur.

I have an old I phone permanently plugged in to the USB in the centre consol box under the armrest for media. But blue tooth works equally as well. I donít see Auto/ CarPlay as a big omission from the earlier cars.
matty74 and jwq like this.
(Post Link) post #21 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloceMitch View Post
Iíve found the standard sat nav fine for normal use Andrew. I guess like me you make your own mind up on the route and just follow sat nav for the last few miles or awkward junctions.
The rather basic traffic reporting seems to work quite well, meaning at least you know when hold ups are likely to occur.

I have an old I phone permanently plugged in to the USB in the centre consol box under the armrest for media. But blue tooth works equally as well. I donít see Auto/ CarPlay as a big omission from the earlier cars.
I tend to agree Ian - I have found that the standard sat nav seems to want to cut every single corner off routes, going through housing estates and taking country lanes to knock 100m off the route. Will play around with setting as I feel I have shortest route, rather than quickest - I only really use it to get an idea of what time I'm due places so far

We have all our music on a miniature USB stick that stays permanently plugged into the under arm rest plug - usually with the little'uns favourite disco hits CD on repeat !!

Remember when you could jump in a new car and just drive it - might have to retune the radio, but that was it :-)
(Post Link) post #22 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
I tend to agree Ian - I have found that the standard sat nav seems to want to cut every single corner off routes, going through housing estates and taking country lanes to knock 100m off the route. Will play around with setting as I feel I have shortest route, rather than quickest - I only really use it to get an idea of what time I'm due places so far
That would do it.... I have all my navi systems, including the giulia, set to "fastest" and this generally works well/best, as well as using the latest maps of course
(Post Link) post #23 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Member car:

3 Veloce’s..!

Like most satnavs you just need to keep an eye on what itís doing.

One slightly annoying feature to me is the car is located at the centre of the arrow pointer, rather than at the tip of it where you would expect. Iíve taken the wrong road at junctions because of that.
Not having a map that stays north south orientated is a daft omission too, you can frig this by switching to browse map and zooming out a bit, but itís stops route direction and doesnít move the map with the car either. You would think writing the software to allow that would be simple and obvious. But it seems not.

Generally though the info system being basic means itís simple. Having watched my Boss going through multiple on screen menus to switch his BMW into sport mode the other day, I appreciate the simple DNA dial a lot more!.
(Post Link) post #24 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloceMitch View Post
Not having a map that stays north south orientated is a daft omission too, you can frig this by switching to browse map and zooming out a bit, but it’s stops route direction and doesn’t move the map with the car either. You would think writing the software to allow that would be simple and obvious. But it seems not.
you can also solve this bij switching to the 2D view. It is then dependent on the zoom level, which you can simply change by turning the big selection knob at any point during navigation. Below a certain zoom level, it's driving direction up. Zooming out, it defaults to North up.
(Post Link) post #25 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Member car:

3 Veloce’s..!

Don't think it works unless you keep re-centering the screen. The car position eventually falls off the edge of the world as it were. The better systems keep the car central and let the map scroll in which ever direction the car is heading.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulia

Tags
android , auto , searching

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page