Quad with mismatched wheel finishes - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Carbonite
  • 1 Post By cloverleaf535

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Garage
Quad with mismatched wheel finishes

Hi guys
I washed my 2017 Quadrifoglio yesterday for the first time since I got in a month ago. Came up beautifully, especially the wheels! That is, until I approached from the left side this evening and thought something wasn’t quite right... see for yourselves. Two completely different finishes! Is this a thing???!!

IMG_2821.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 16 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
The wheel badly scuffed and got refurbished for resale of the car, in the wrong colour?
(Post Link) post #3 of 16 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
The wheel badly scuffed and got refurbished for resale of the car, in the wrong colour?
Where these wheels available in two different finishes?
(Post Link) post #4 of 16 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

County: Oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonite View Post
Hi guys
I washed my 2017 Quadrifoglio yesterday for the first time since I got in a month ago. Came up beautifully, especially the wheels! That is, until I approached from the left side this evening and thought something wasn’t quite right... see for yourselves. Two completely different finishes! Is this a thing???!!

Attachment 887301

Looks like a refurb in not quite the right colour/finish. But in fact, even from the factory, the fronts and rears can be slightly different colours since they are made in different batches (obviously, being different widths) and this colour variation 'effect' isn't confined to Qf wheels
(Post Link) post #5 of 16 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

Rear is OEM, the front one is either a replica or someone mismatched the paint during refurbishment.
(Post Link) post #6 of 16 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

Is the mismatched wheel an OEM part? Some of the various replicas are apparently a different colour to the factory version. If it is OEM then it seems likely the refurb'ed explanation is probably the answer. The factory finish is very dark.
(Post Link) post #7 of 16 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

Did you buy from main dealer? If so take it back to them and complain. The front looks like a silver wheel and the rear dark chrome. Do the other side match?
(Post Link) post #8 of 16 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualm View Post
Did you buy from main dealer? If so take it back to them and complain. The front looks like a silver wheel and the rear dark chrome. Do the other side match?

Wheels on other side look dark and match the rear on the left - see below. The car was purchased from an independent prestige dealer, not Alfa.

Looks like I cleaned the brake dust off that front left a little too well!

IMG_2805.jpg

(Post Link) post #9 of 16 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.5 V6

Maybe they got some different peoples wheels mixed up at the service shop during a tyre rotation. But if the odd one out wheel is not an official colour then that would be unlikely.

As suggested the wheel has probably been repainted from curbing damage, especially being the front left wheel. From my experience with wheels that get refurbished you can usually spot them. Firstly the tyre sidewall may just be a little damaged from when they sand the rim back and when repainting some fine over spray makes its way in the spaces between the spokes. This leaves a rough to the touch finish. Of course if it has new tyres there will be no tyre damage and if the whole wheel has been repainted then there should not be over spray.

Looks like you will have to get it repainted in hopefully, the correct colour. Try the car dealer you bought it from, see if they will rectify it, or at least some agreement over cost. I would think they made good money on the car they sold so should be 'happy' to keep you happy with a few hundred spent on a repaint. I'm not too sure on the laws in Australia but you may be able to pull some levers, although I always hate the thought of doing that. See if you can find any pictures of the car before you bought it or when they listed it to see if the wheels were a different colour then.
(Post Link) post #10 of 16 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesalfa View Post
Maybe they got some different peoples wheels mixed up at the service shop during a tyre rotation. But if the odd one out wheel is not an official colour then that would be unlikely.

As suggested the wheel has probably been repainted from curbing damage, especially being the front left wheel. From my experience with wheels that get refurbished you can usually spot them. Firstly the tyre sidewall may just be a little damaged from when they sand the rim back and when repainting some fine over spray makes its way in the spaces between the spokes. This leaves a rough to the touch finish. Of course if it has new tyres there will be no tyre damage and if the whole wheel has been repainted then there should not be over spray.

Looks like you will have to get it repainted in hopefully, the correct colour. Try the car dealer you bought it from, see if they will rectify it, or at least some agreement over cost. I would think they made good money on the car they sold so should be 'happy' to keep you happy with a few hundred spent on a repaint. I'm not too sure on the laws in Australia but you may be able to pull some levers, although I always hate the thought of doing that. See if you can find any pictures of the car before you bought it or when they listed it to see if the wheels were a different colour then.
This is the only photo from the original advert on car sales.com.au which showed the left side of the car. Not all that obvious hey?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2834.jpg (96.0 KB, 48 views)
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

The WSP Italy OEM replacement wheels show that exact mismatch. You could compare the serial numbers on the back of the spokes.
(Post Link) post #12 of 16 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobhp View Post
The WSP Italy OEM replacement wheels show that exact mismatch. You could compare the serial numbers on the back of the spokes.

That’s interesting to hear. I’ll get the wheels off this weekend. What experience have you had with the WSP Italy wheels?

AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonite View Post
This is the only photo from the original advert on car sales.com.au which showed the left side of the car. Not all that obvious hey?
Now you say....
AO Member

Is it just me or the lighter finish of that front wheel looks nice.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
(Post Link) post #15 of 16 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverleaf535 View Post
Is it just me or the lighter finish of that front wheel looks nice.

In isolation it does look nice actually. Looks a bit odd in certain lights though in comparison to the rear. Dealer has put me in contact with a wheel guy and will cover the cost of any repaint/replace.

147Alfaguy likes this.
AO Member

That's good news. Though you know what, I would be tempted to get the other 3 wheels done to match that front. I just think it looks so nice on your black car and gives it a bit of contrast.

Carbonite likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulia

Tags
finishes , mismatched , quad , wheel

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page