Brake discs and pads for Quadrifoglio - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 7Likes
  • 5 Post By MacGeek
  • 2 Post By 146Nick

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Kent
Brake discs and pads for Quadrifoglio

Just planning ahead a bit and wondered how many miles people were getting out of front brake pads and discs?
Also, does anyone know the standard disc thickness and the minimum?
My car has done about 23,000 miles now and I expect the front pads won't be too far off (although no track days). Wondering if it will need discs too or if I'll get away with just pads. There's a bit of a lip on the discs.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 10 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Cambs-
I've recently changed my front pads (rears are still ok) at about 27,000 miles. The front discs did have a small lip but I elected not to worry and just changed the pads myself anyway. The brakes are as good as they ever were so far as I can tell, which has included a recent track day.

I don't know what the minimum disc thickness should be.
(Post Link) post #3 of 10 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Torino

Member car:

MiTo, 8C Spider

On a Quadrifoglio with iron brakes, front discs are 32mm thick when new, and minimum thickness is 29.5mm. Rears are 28mm new, minimum thickness 25.5mm.
(Post Link) post #4 of 10 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Thanks both.
I'll measure my discs to see how much they've worn.
(Post Link) post #5 of 10 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

Giulia QV

Are you planning on replacing with OEM pads Smarty? I think someone on here (possibly Nick?) mentioned they'd replaced with EBC Yellow Stuff. Never hugely keen on moving away from stock myself, but I think Yellow Stuff could be a good upgrade.
(Post Link) post #6 of 10 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

I'm not sure yet. Ecain63 has swapped to Performance Friction front pads prior to going to the Nurburgring and the feedback is that they're very good. Better than standard when cold and just get better the harder you push. Tempted to try those (although they're about 400 versus 200 a set), especially if I may do a track day (haven't decided yet).
I'm also just planning ahead so that I don't need the expensive 4th service (probably due around October next year) plus discs and pads all at the same time. I'd rather spread the cost if possible.
(Post Link) post #7 of 10 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: New Zealand
Id be interested in your measurements smarty156. Ive completed 20,000km in my car (no track work but a fair few back road fast drives). I certainly have a lip forming on the front rotors and I would say my pads are at around 50% from visual inspection although Im unsure if there is additional tapering I am not seeing from a cursory inspection. Ive just completed my second service and did ask them to note the measurements but they did not supply them on the invoice so will chase that up. From what Im seeing my guess is the fronts will be good for 40,000km (25,000 miles). My third year service will likely be at around 35,000km but Id look to probably replace the fronts at that time as I advocate always leaving at least 3-4mm of material on the backing plate as not to put too much heat through the system (and also to account for any tapering). Not sure if the front rotors will need replacing at that time but i suspect they will be within a year of needing to be replaced - will likely leave them till the 4th year service to spread the costs. My rear rotors are looking good, my guess is they have won at half the rate of the fronts. The rear pads look meatier than the fronts but not by as much as I would have guessed so I image teh rear pads will need repacing in the 4th year too. man that fourth year service is going to break teh bank (probably will come in at around 5%+ of the then value of the car!!).
(Post Link) post #8 of 10 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

Giulia QV

Yep - 4th year service is going to hurt. I'm betting that those who are waiting for 3 year old quads to hit the market at lower used prices are going to get a bit of a shock come servicing time!
(Post Link) post #9 of 10 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

Giulia QV

Yes it was me that tried yellow stuff. They seemed to work better on the track and not get as hot, but I was using them on ruined discs so it was difficult to tell. The stock pads are pretty horrible on the track and make the whole experience a bit miserable. You only need a few long hard braking sections and the discs and pads get hotter than the centre of the sun and start to smoke. I could only do a few laps at a time and even those laps I was looking after the brakes. With hindsight I'd have gone with the carbon ceramics.

My car is due its 4th service in 900 miles so I'll let you know how that goes.
Macca993 and Hamfisti like this.
(Post Link) post #10 of 10 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Dorset
Performance Friction pads have been excellent everywhere so far

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulia

Tags
brake , discs , pads , quadrifoglio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page