A few questions before I place an order.... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 9Likes
  • 1 Post By matty74
  • 2 Post By cue2
  • 1 Post By MattMatt1
  • 1 Post By ricardo75
  • 1 Post By MattMatt1
  • 2 Post By sb1957
  • 1 Post By GVblue

(Post Link) post #1 of 22 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Surrey
A few questions before I place an order....

Hello all,

About to trade in my Giulietta (my 2nd, with a 159 before that!) for a Veloce but needed some help regarding options/costs before I do...and before someone (cue2) says to use the search facility, I am currently on holiday with limited time and even more limited internet connectivity, so any advice (or links) in this thread would be greatly appreciated.

So my first question is regarding the mixed firmest tyres, as these used to be standard on the Veloce (and are still standard on the QF) and with the obvious benefits of an increased contact area a the rear on a RWD car, this seems essential to me. Anyone agree/disagree?

Secondly, I canít believe that the only way to have rear air vents is to spec the climate pack, do you just have a blank panel without it? A picture of the rear without the climate pack would be really useful. As I will have either my daughter or wife in the back of the car most of the time, vents for the air con again seem essential but any thoughts from those who do or donít have them would be helpful.

And that brings me to my final question. The above are the only 2 options I would spec and bring the total for the car to £40,100. My dealer has advised that this would result in the tax surcharge (should have mentioned Iím UK based) but I thought the £40k limit was the cost of the car inc options but not including the first year of tax. Can anyone advise? Is there something that the dealer has to do when they register the car (ie not include the first year of tax in the cost of the car) to keep it below the limit? Again, any experience of this would be useful to hear.

Apologies for the long post, really appreciate the help this forum provides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 22 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Croston Lancashire
Hi mate, Climate Pack is a good option to have, you get a USB port underneath the rear vents, which could come in handy for anyone sitting in the back. You also get the AQS system and a fancy windscreen.

Think Iíd be wanting the staggered wheels, that was standard back when I got mine.

As for the tax, I was over, but I believe you are correct in saying that you should be knocking the first years tax off the top line, think MattMatt did this?

Iím sure others will be along shortly who maximised their under the threshold spend

Go for it, you wonít regret it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MattMatt1 likes this.

Previous Alfas
2001 - 2010 (1999 S)156 2.5 V6 Sport Pack 3 Silver
2008 - 2009 (2004 54) GT 1.9 JTDm Azzurro Blue
2013 - 2015 (2011 61) Guilietta 1.4 TB Multiair White
2015 - 2017 (2011 61) Guilietta 1.4 TB Multiair Red
2010 - 2017 (2007 07) Brera 2.4 JTDm SV Misano Blue
Current Alfa
2017 - (2017 67) Alfa Giulia Veloce Vesuvio Grey
(Post Link) post #3 of 22 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire
The reason they don't offer the mixed tyres as standard is to get a lower CO2 rating in the specification table.
(Post Link) post #4 of 22 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

3 Veloce’s..!

The staggered set up of the wheels looks superb, but I would suggest it isnít vital for dynamics as there would be plenty of grip with narrower ones. It will be a matter of aesthetics if you really need to spec the wider wheels. Have to say I feel lucky not to have been put in that dilemma being an earlier adopter.
Never really looked at the panel in the rear, but it didnít jump out at me as being bare without vents. I rarely carry rear seat passengers so itís not something that affects me.
The one thing I would have liked to spec up would have been the performance pack, for the diff. But that took me over the 40k in 2017.
(Post Link) post #5 of 22 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Here. I did a search , for you!
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...e-options.html (Giulia Veloce must have options.)
Probably out of date as specs change.
Prego!
matty74 and Elfred like this.
(Post Link) post #6 of 22 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

You need to be working with 'list' price not OTR price (that's what DVLA base tax on) when you're wanting to come under the next (£40k) VED band. You can go over £40k by the amount equal to the first years road tax plus reg fee, less £1. When I bought mine last year that was £200 + £55, so I had to come in or under £40,254 OTR price. Fine for me as I didn't want any other options or to pay anymore PCP premiums.

OTR charges have changed since last year as first year's tax is now higher so you need to get the dealer to confirm this, unless someone on here has done since last September.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
matty74 likes this.
(Post Link) post #7 of 22 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardo75 View Post
And that brings me to my final question. The above are the only 2 options I would spec and bring the total for the car to £40,100. My dealer has advised that this would result in the tax surcharge (should have mentioned Iím UK based) but I thought the £40k limit was the cost of the car inc options but not including the first year of tax. Can anyone advise? Is there something that the dealer has to do when they register the car (ie not include the first year of tax in the cost of the car) to keep it below the limit? Again, any experience of this would be useful to hear.
You need to be working with 'list' price (that's what DVLA base tax on) not OTR price when you're wanting to come under the next (£40k) VED band. You can go over £40k by the amount equal to the first year's road tax plus reg fee, less £1. When I bought mine last year that was £200 + £55, so I had to come in or under £40,254 OTR price. Fine for me as I didn't want any other options or to pay any higher PCP premiums.

OTR charges have changed since last year as first year's tax is now higher so you need to get the dealer to confirm this, unless someone on here has done since last September.

Also, staggered setup a must for me - the wider 9J rears just make the most aggressive stance!

(Post Link) post #8 of 22 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Australia
Are you sure a Veloce is £40,000? I just scored a new 2018 model for $34,000 AUD with climate control, front and rear parking sensors, a you beaut Bose sound system, GPS and teledials. Convert it. Bargain. Oops, Giulia, not Giulietta! That explains it. Sorry. Will pull my head in.
(Post Link) post #9 of 22 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Merseyside
Great choice, I picked up my new Veloce a little over a month ago, love it!

I spec’d the QV 5 hole wheels and had the dealer paint them same dark grey as the QV. Went for the mixed fitment tyre option, stance is perfect.

Also opted for the climate pack, passengers find the rear USB port below the vents handy.

Also went for red callipers to go with the Alfa Rosso paint, goes really well with the dark QV wheels.

My car tax will be £450 I think it is per year but on new vehicles Alfa Romeo build the vehicle duty for the first year in with the overall purchase price so you don’t feel the pain....yet.

AA/AA works well although the factory standard Nav isn’t awful.

Enjoy the experience of driving a rear wheel Alfa, it’s worth it 😉
(Post Link) post #10 of 22 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks all, knew I could rely on getting the responses I needed.

And thanks for the link Cue2, my reference to you in my original post was made with tongue placed firmly in cheek and absolutely not intended to offend. The must have options thread will be a very interesting read!

Finally, with regards to the £40k tax etc, what you have said above confirms what I thought but my concern comes from my dealer stating that he has sold a car with one low cost option that took the OTR price to just over £40k that was then charged the premium when the tax had to be renewed. He also seemed to be unaware of any caveats. Do you know if the cost of the car and the resulting tax charges are dependent on how the dealer fills in a form or do the DVLA work it out themselves?
cue2 likes this.
(Post Link) post #11 of 22 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Quote:
Do you know if the cost of the car and the resulting tax charges are dependent on how the dealer fills in a form or do the DVLA work it out themselves?
Nope. Dealer has no control over list price DVLA bases VED band on, they just refer to manufacturers list plus any options you have. Same as it makes no difference what you pay for the car either.

Also, make sure this is NOT in your reg details confirmation form you'll sign. That's another indication you may have to pay higher VED band. Although, my dealer left this clause in despite mine being under, so I got them to take it out before I'd sign it, too.

matty74 likes this.
(Post Link) post #12 of 22 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
Garage
Just a quick note on the rear vents... I have them with the climate pack, but they don't actually give out much air, and if you have the air con down low, they air isn't half as cool as it is from them front vents. But I do think it looks much better for having them, and anything is better than nothing for rear seat passengers (for me that is usually my 2 dogs - but don't worry, I use a full 'hammock' to keep the interior clean!).
(Post Link) post #13 of 22 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Lancashire
I ended up in the higher tax without adding any options. I was just told that's the list price and nothing they can do about it.

No rear vents on mine, rarely have anyone in the back for long journeys, those are reserved for the Mummy wagon anyway. I thought it was bizzare having to specify an additional option to have them. Depends on your passenger requirements.

I had the same mixed tyre setup on my BMW (17 not 18) so wasn’t a change for me but they do look better with wider rears. I just found that on the BMW it limited the tyre choice. Not had to change mine yet (just under 5k done) but I am v happy with the Pirelli Cinturato it has come with, so will likely stick with the same when the time comes.
(Post Link) post #14 of 22 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks again for all the helpful comments.

I have a further question...

Iím choosing between red with tan interior or white with red interior.

My current Giulietta is Alfa white and I love the way it looks and hides marks, stone chips etc. But I have an itch to own a red Alfa (Iíve also owned a grey 159 and another Giulietta in blue) so my first question is how resistant to chips swirls etc the Alfa red paint is, does it take much effort to keep it looking good?

My second question is regarding the interior. Having always had black previously (full leather or leather/alcantara) I fancy something different but am concerned that the tan/red leather will show any marks/stains that would be hidden by the black. How easily does the leather mark and how easy is it to clean if it does?

Thanks again!
(Post Link) post #15 of 22 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Herefordshire
Quote:

My current Giulietta is Alfa white and I love the way it looks and hides marks, stone chips etc. But I have an itch to own a red Alfa (Iíve also owned a grey 159 and another Giulietta in blue) so my first question is how resistant to chips swirls etc the Alfa red paint is, does it take much effort to keep it looking good?

My second question is regarding the interior. Having always had black previously (full leather or leather/alcantara) I fancy something different but am concerned that the tan/red leather will show any marks/stains that would be hidden by the black. How easily does the leather mark and how easy is it to clean if it does?

Thanks again!
Alfa. Red. (Apparently other colours are available?). Red car, black leather interior. No issue with swirls and only 2 very small chips (1 on the windscreen pillar, one on the bonnet) in 20,000 miles of driving. And I think the car still looks pretty good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg u0H9R9TJS8ChWoYJbKtocQ_thumb_3aff.jpg (188.8 KB, 23 views)
cue2 and caymanblack like this.
(Post Link) post #16 of 22 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Derbyshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMBash View Post
I ended up in the higher tax without adding any options. I was just told that's the list price and nothing they can do about it.

No rear vents on mine, rarely have anyone in the back for long journeys, those are reserved for the Mummy wagon anyway. I thought it was bizzare having to specify an additional option to have them. Depends on your passenger requirements.
Bit late responding to this but I think, if your avatar is your car, then your metallic paint was an option and I seem to remember that this was enough to tip it over £40,000.
GMBash likes this.
(Post Link) post #17 of 22 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: -
I have Alfa Red now a month old. I was also concerned having a solid colour that potentially could show marks and chips more than some metallics.
I guess it depends on your expected mileage and how long your going to keep the car.
As most of my travel is motorway I'm expecting the worst I'm also expecting to keep for 5 years or so depending how I get on. As a precaution I had protective paint film applied to the front bumper and bonnet. Looks pretty good you wouldn't know it was there, also had the rest of the car covered with gtechniq.
(Post Link) post #18 of 22 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Member

The only thing you can subtract from the website listed OTR price is first years tax and reg fee. In March this year this was £515 + £55. This means if you get metallic paint you've got £185 for options. Not even enough for painted callipers They only left these two as exceptions because they are fixed fees (unlike delivery charge for example) and should therefore prevent rigging.
(Post Link) post #19 of 22 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Merseyside
I have the Alfa Red and tan interior combination. I think they compliment each other perfectly and for me, is the best combination.
I bought some Gyeon Leather Shield and applied that as soon as I collected the car, it’s a strong synthetic product that protects the leather against UV damage, spills and stains and marks from dark coloured clothing. I’ve covered around 2K in the first month since I have had the car and not noticed any marking on the drivers seat yet.
Only downside is it has taken away that new car smell a little, as far as I understand the product seals the leather coating and so I don’t get the new leather smell as much 😞
(Post Link) post #20 of 22 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultrim View Post
I have the Alfa Red and tan interior combination. I think they compliment each other perfectly and for me, is the best combination.
I bought some Gyeon Leather Shield and applied that as soon as I collected the car, itís a strong synthetic product that protects the leather against UV damage, spills and stains and marks from dark coloured clothing. Iíve covered around 2K in the first month since I have had the car and not noticed any marking on the drivers seat yet.
Only downside is it has taken away that new car smell a little, as far as I understand the product seals the leather coating and so I donít get the new leather smell as much 😞
Here you go, don't use it all at once

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Chemical-Gu...d=112454756858
(Post Link) post #21 of 22 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Quote:
Hello all,

About to trade in my Giulietta (my 2nd, with a 159 before that!) for a Veloce but needed some help regarding options/costs before I do...and before someone (cue2) says to use the search facility, I am currently on holiday with limited time and even more limited internet connectivity, so any advice (or links) in this thread would be greatly appreciated.

So my first question is regarding the mixed firmest tyres, as these used to be standard on the Veloce (and are still standard on the QF) and with the obvious benefits of an increased contact area a the rear on a RWD car, this seems essential to me. Anyone agree/disagree?

Secondly, I canít believe that the only way to have rear air vents is to spec the climate pack, do you just have a blank panel without it? A picture of the rear without the climate pack would be really useful. As I will have either my daughter or wife in the back of the car most of the time, vents for the air con again seem essential but any thoughts from those who do or donít have them would be helpful.

Apologies for the long post, really appreciate the help this forum provides.
Picture of rear without vents ( if still relevant)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81AA26D4-55CD-494D-AD85-3B26E5E42038.jpg (88.1 KB, 13 views)
(Post Link) post #22 of 22 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Quote:

Thanks again!
Pictures of my drivers and passenger seat for comparison . Have done 5k. Have my eldest in the front for local journeys on the weekend but by and large it's just me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81B10671-9F27-49C2-8282-068685F49FBE.jpg (161.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 75B6A80F-16BF-4F98-8D25-73070E49F799.jpg (131.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg D2F73FB6-36F5-452B-A77B-6C252C61A913.jpg (148.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 01233C6C-A5CE-45E7-A46A-FB34E857BEBE.jpg (139.1 KB, 13 views)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulia

Tags
order , place , questions

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page