Alfa experience as a first time owner - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 11Likes
  • 1 Post By Kevin.n
  • 1 Post By Ali_
  • 3 Post By GVblue
  • 1 Post By caymanblack
  • 1 Post By hector56
  • 2 Post By Scotital
  • 1 Post By cue2
  • 1 Post By Kevin.n

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

County: -
Alfa experience as a first time owner

Hey guys,

I would like to share my experience as a first time owner. Hopefully it'd help a few people who maybe thinking about getting a new Giulia. When I first laid eyes on the Giulia in LA auto show, I knew it was time for an upgrade. I decided to wait a year before getting mine to avoid first production errors. I finally got my beautiful Trofeo White Giulia Ti in March 2018. I was really excited and absolutely loved every aspect of the car but it didn't take long that all that love and excitement turned into a never-ending nightmare. After receiving two recall letters, I called Santa Monica Fiat and Alfa Romeo and booked my first service appointment. After waiting in the lounge for over 30 minutes, I asked one of the advisors to check me in. Unwillingly, he took me to his office and started on the paper work. He said he usually deals with Maserati clients only and made it seem like he was doing me a favor. He then ignored my calls and texts for the next two days without providing me with a single update.

Shortly after I got the car back, on my way to work, the service shifter emergency light came on with a message: Do not put in park or turn off the car. Not knowing what to do, I reached out to the dealer for an advice. After being on hold for 10 minutes, the receptionist told me they were understaffed and were not able to take any calls at the moment. I called THREE other service departments and heard the same exact story, COOL. Finally, after driving in a circle for 40 minutes and being late for work, I called Alfa Romeo Care. They advised parking the car somewhere that's easily accessible by a tow truck since the car may not shift back to drive. After work, there was no sign of the emergency light and everything seemed to be normal which was a huge relief, specially after stressing about it all day. However, on my way home, there was a nasty burning smell inside the cabin. I was trying to open the sunroof to get rid of the smell that I realized it was not working. I made another appointment the next morning but I asked for a different advisor. After explaining the issues I was having with car, he kept insisting that I had spilled something on the shifter which had activated the emergency light. He asked me this very same question over 5 times and when he realized I was getting frustrated, he said he was only joking. Very unprofessional in my opinion. He then sent me over to enterprise to get a rental (apparently they have a contract with enterprise since they do not have any loaners) and my only option was a dodge MINI VAN. After two days, I got a phone call from the advisor that the radiator was leaking on the passenger side and had to be replaced. They also had to recalibrate the sunroof. This time, the car was in the shop for 8 days and I was stuck with a mini van.

A few days after I finally got my car back, it was 85įF and I was trying to turn on the AC that I realized it was only blowing hot air and I ended up back in the service department. This time the advisor seemed to be nicer than the other two. He apologized for the inconvenience and gave me his personal cell phone number in case I had any questions or simply wanted an update. They then took me to enterprise again and gave me a Dodge Journey. After a few days, I called the dealership to get a status update on my car but no one returned any of my calls. My texts and emails were also ignored. At this point, I already had enough and called Alfa Romeo Care and opened a case. Being disgusted by their customer service, the case manager offered to handle my case and provide me with updates. She said my air condenser had to be replaced but since one of the machines in the service department was broken, they were going to transfer my car to their bodyshop to finish up the repairs. After 10 days, I get a call from the dealer that the car is finally ready. After I picked up the car, I realized that my car was driven around 30 miles. This was not really a big deal but I was extremely upset that no one cared to ask for my permission; no one even told me. They did not even bother washing my car or refueling for the miles driven. Whatever...

Not long after, the fuel gauge started to fluctuate. It would stop showing the fuel range at 3 bars and the fuel low sign would turn on at 2 bars. This time, I tried to make an appointment with another service department which is an hour away from me. However, they were fully booked for the next 6 days. The case manager advised taking the car back to the Santa Monica location and that's what I did. At first, the advisor did not even want to check me in because they were short staffed and wanted me to come back another time although I had an appointment. After talking to a technician, he said that a hard reset would solve this issue. They made me wait one and a half hour to simply detach and reconnect the batteries which of course did not solve anything. After taking the car back in for the second time, the advisor told me that there was nothing wrong with the car and I was just trying to build up a case. He said he would check me in but they won't touch my car. With the case manager calling them back and forth, they ended up doing an update and another hard reset. When I picked up the car the day after, the range was still not showing and the problem still persisted but they denied any additional repairs. Being tired and sick of their terrible customer service, I was eager to take my car to another location and get it fixed but the case manager wanted me to take it back to Santa Monica so that they could partner up with Alfa Care, open a star case (whatever that is) and fix the issue. Unwillingly I took the car back to Santa Monica. After waiting in the lounge for 45 minutes and being ignored by everyone, the advisor checked me in but refused to provide me with a loaner. After arguing with them for about half an hour, the case manager told me to pay for a rental and she would reimburse me as soon as my car was ready. My car was in the shop for another 8 days since the fuel tank and the fuel pumps had to be replaced. I was really hoping that the replacement would finally solve these issues but it didn't. I then took my car to another service location for additional help. This was the fourth time I was taking the car in for the SAME problem. At first, the advisor did not want to check the car in because most of the repairs were done at another location and kept telling me to go back to Santa Monica. After arguing with him and having the case manager calling the location, they finally took the car in and found a broken fuel module. I was then stuck with a Fiat 500 for four days. I just got my car back but I wouldn't be surprised if I had to take it back again next week.

Overall, my experience is a combination of bad luck, a faulty vehicle, a bad service department and terrible customer service. There are also people who are happy with their cars and would tell you that Alfa is the best car that money could buy. I just wanted to share my experience so you hear from both sides. I personally donít t think that anyone deserves to be treated like this or to go through all this trouble just to get his car fixed (Keep in mind, my car barely has 8000 miles on it). I still haven't gotten reimbursed for my rental which was around $400. I've been late and missed work multiple times. I've never received any follow up calls (I guess you can only expect that from every other car maker). You have a lot of options to choose from. Do your research carefully. We've had a lot of different cars in our household (BMW, Mercedes Benz, Lexus, Chevy, Cadillac, etc) and by far, Alfa Romeo has had the WORST customer service of all. No one in this company seems to care about their customers and how they feel. I do not know about any other states but if you are in California, LA in particular, you will be driving around in a base Dodge or a Fiat but will be paying for an Alfa Romeo. Make your decisions wisely.
147Alfaguy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: West Lothian
Welcome to the Alfa Romeo customer service experience! Good to know it’s just as **** all around the world!
Kevin.n likes this.
(Post Link) post #3 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Derbyshire
If only you'd got it from Beechdale, Derby.
matty74, MR D4VE and Kevin.n like this.
(Post Link) post #4 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Australia
From what I’ve read on 4C Forums your mistake was taking to Santa Monica. Glendale Alfa and Alfa Romeo of Westlake have better recommendations. They give Santa Monica a raspberry.

Last edited by 147Alfaguy; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:18.
(Post Link) post #5 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: UK

Member car:

Giulia Speciale

Opís FIRST post on this forum. I could be wrong, but, is this for real? Personally, Iím holding my nose cus of the smell...
(Post Link) post #6 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR D4VE View Post
Opís FIRST post on this forum. I could be wrong, but, is this for real? Personally, Iím holding my nose cus of the smell...
Iím hoping he responds to my suggestion. Why he didnít do any research regarding dealers baffles me. Time will tell.
(Post Link) post #7 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Italy , UK.
Well, mines perfect, not one fault and i have looked everywhere. So i have no idea what the dealers are like apart from who i bought the car from and they were excellent. fingers crossed.
Kevin.n likes this.
(Post Link) post #8 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

So why are some dealers so bad ?
Surely they don't set out to **** customers off.

Is it lack of effort, too much work to do for not enough return from the manufacturers ?
Lack of training ?

I don't get why some are so bad , it's not rocket science to provide good customer service .
Surely companies in US know all about that .
Kevin.n likes this.
(Post Link) post #9 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by hector56 View Post

Is it lack of effort, too much work to do for not enough return from the manufacturers ?
Lack of training ?

I don't get why some are so bad , it's not rocket science to provide good customer service .
In my experience, much US customer service 'excellence' - in any sector - is but a thin veneer...
cue2 and Kevin.n like this.
(Post Link) post #10 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotital View Post
In my experience, much US customer service 'excellence' - in any sector - is but a thin veneer...
Especially if you veer off the script!
Still, I hope the OP can resolve the issues.
Kevin.n likes this.
(Post Link) post #11 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 147Alfaguy View Post
Iím hoping he responds to my suggestion. Why he didnít do any research regarding dealers baffles me. Time will tell.
Both dealers are far from me and I try to avoid 405 as much as I can. I ended up taking it to to the Auto Gallery in Van Nuys but the grass wasnít any greener tbh. I don't think a customer should be worrying about which dealer to take his car to just to receive a decent customer service. Anyways, I'll try Glendale next time and let you know how it goes.
147Alfaguy likes this.
(Post Link) post #12 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hector56 View Post

Lack of training ?

I've talked to the technicians couple of times and they all seemed to be well trained and understanding. The advisors are the ones who **** me off.
Well I don't know about anywhere else but the two dealers that I have taken my car to also service Fiat and Maserati. I think they have too many customers and they simply don't care if you enjoy the experience or not.
From what the technician was telling me, the dealers have to go through a third party to get replacement parts and a lot of times, they're having issues getting an approval. This could be why it takes so long to repair simple issues.
(Post Link) post #13 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.n View Post
Both dealers are far from me and I try to avoid 405 as much as I can. I ended up taking it to to the Auto Gallery in Van Nuys but the grass wasn’t any greener tbh. I don't think a customer should be worrying about which dealer to take his car to just to receive a decent customer service. Anyways, I'll try Glendale next time and let you know how it goes.
I’ve been on the 405 in morning peak though fortunately only a couple of times (while on holidays in LA) and I don’t blame you avoiding it. Hoping your experience with servicing improves with the change of dealer/ business you take your Giulia to. Sadly not yet by the sound of it.
At Glendale, an Alfa technician by the name of Marco is the man to see..

Last edited by 147Alfaguy; 4 Weeks Ago at 19:52.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulia

Tags
alfa , experience , owner , time

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page