Build dates - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 11Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 41 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Build dates

I've been given a build date for my Veloce week commencing 20th May and a delivery to dealer date of Friday 12th July. That's 8 weeks post build lead time excluding dealer prep. That's about a month longer that the Super I ordered back in 2017. Is this normal now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 41 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
It may well be due to halts in production caused by low demand https://www.clubalfa.it/60505-alfa-r...ra-il-7-maggio
(Post Link) post #3 of 41 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

“The first quarter of 2019 was extremely negative for Alfa Romeo, which saw a real drop in sales in Europe and a sharp drop in deliveries also in North America. The crisis of the Italian brand, which began already at the end of 2018, is destined to continue over the next few months due to a reduced range to the minimum terms and very few new products coming. The only model year 2019 of the Giulietta, which adds little to the C segment, and the usual special series of Giulia and Stelvio are unlikely to make a big contribution to growth in the coming months.” according to the report.
(Post Link) post #4 of 41 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by t1grm View Post
I've been given a build date for my Veloce week commencing 20th May and a delivery to dealer date of Friday 12th July. That's 8 weeks post build lead time excluding dealer prep. That's about a month longer that the Super I ordered back in 2017. Is this normal now?
The Super I ordered Oct '16 took 8 weeks to arrive, the Veloce I ordered Oct '18 took 10 weeks...but I tracked progress and it seemed to have to hang around awaiting vehicle carrier ship to UK - which BTW, voyages via France, Portugal, Spain, maybe France again then Bristol Portbury. I imagine that since fewer cars are being built, fewer sea shipments are being made so an extra week or two awaiting shipment seems likely. My theory, anyway.
cue2 likes this.
(Post Link) post #5 of 41 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

Or “Alfa Romeo: the Cassino plant closed for three weeks, production will restart on 7 May”
(Post Link) post #6 of 41 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotital View Post
... I imagine that since fewer cars are being built, fewer sea shipments are being made so an extra week or two awaiting shipment seems likely. My theory, anyway.
There are departures from Salerno to Portbury on 22nd and 28th May and 1st and 3rd June so no shortages of ships, I'd suggest. However, none are yet showing on the Grimaldi site for dates later in June.

https://www.net.grimaldi.co.uk/GNET4...nfo/WFSchedule

Andy
(Post Link) post #7 of 41 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
Or “Alfa Romeo: the Cassino plant closed for three weeks, production will restart on 7 May”
Not that because build date is next week. Problem is post build lead time.
(Post Link) post #8 of 41 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Quote:
That's completely normal then, about 4 clear weeks from the day the car exits production until the time it gets to you. Over a week to get to the shipping port and sit there until ship picks up, closer to two weeks to get to UK then a week or so to exit UK docks and transport to dealer then a few days at dealer = 21 June give or take...
(Post Link) post #9 of 41 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Quote:
That's completely normal then, about 4 clear weeks from the day the car exits production until the time it gets to you. Over a week to get to the shipping port and sit there until ship picks up, closer to two weeks to get to UK then a week or so to exit UK docks and transport to dealer then a few days at dealer = 21 June give or take...
12th July at dealer not June so 8 weeks plus another week for dealer prep. I would be happy with a June delivery.
(Post Link) post #10 of 41 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Quote:
12th July at dealer not June so 8 weeks plus another week for dealer prep. I would be happy with a June delivery.
Sorry, my mistake. I dunno then...???
(Post Link) post #11 of 41 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Sorry, my mistake. I dunno then...???
Me neither. Waiting for the dealer to get back to me. Hopefully they are just being cautious and it will move forward.
(Post Link) post #12 of 41 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

So ordered a Giulia Veloce this afternoon from Beechdales. Been told approx delivery date of September 1st (just under 15 weeks). Been advised that "Italy goes on holiday" in August (alright for some) so have to bear that in mind.

Good things come to those who wait.
(Post Link) post #13 of 41 Old 3 Weeks Ago

County: Lancashire
Good evening folks,

I've also got a Giulia Veloce on order. It's supposed to arrive June, having been in build (code 16) when I ordered her in late April.

I've since had three updates from Mangos with a build code of N/A. I've contacted them and queried why it doesn't have a code any longer but there's been no real explanation offered.

I'm not unduly concerned yet as I've been forced to aquire myself a 916 Spider as my daily driver is falling apart and I've agreed the PX against the Giulia so I'm not for spending any money on her.

I'll be keeping my eye on this thread and will update if I have anything useful to add.

I think the Italy closing down in August excuse is a bit long in the tooth now btw. Maybe 20 years ago that was the case but I could be mistaken.

Cheers,

Chris

Last edited by ChrisBWFC; 3 Weeks Ago at 16:39. Reason: spelling
(Post Link) post #14 of 41 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Italy , UK.
You would be wrong, August in Italy and all the Alfa workers will be on the beach i guarantee it.
(Post Link) post #15 of 41 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caymanblack View Post
You would be wrong, August in Italy and all the Alfa workers will be on the beach i guarantee it.
Well I ordered mine 4th April so if I don't have it by 4th August I'll be cancelling. 4th July is already too long.
(Post Link) post #16 of 41 Old 3 Weeks Ago

County: Lancashire
Yup, I stand corrected but I won't be pleased either. I was told I couldn't add further options due to it being already in build. We'll surely be getting close to MY 2020 after August as well won't we?
(Post Link) post #17 of 41 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Milano
Mine was in stock at Portbury and took two weeks to arrive at the dealer, conversely my 4c arrived 5 months early.
(Post Link) post #18 of 41 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

August is shut-down , while the refit for the plant to make the next years spec. The hybrid Giulia/Stelvio?
(Post Link) post #19 of 41 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia QV

factory shuts for 2-3 weeks in aug. i ordered in mid june didnt arrive till early oct.
cue2 likes this.
(Post Link) post #20 of 41 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Merseyside
My Veloce had a build date of April 7th and it was delivered on May 2nd which was a pretty quick turn around although the order was placed on Feb 2nd so sat in a queue for production for a while.

Im sure your all probably aware but its not just Alfa who have a factory shut down but a lot of industry in Italy does the same. Alfa cant be blamed for that one.
(Post Link) post #21 of 41 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
“The first quarter of 2019 was extremely negative for Alfa Romeo, which saw a real drop in sales in Europe and a sharp drop in deliveries also in North America. The crisis of the Italian brand, which began already at the end of 2018, is destined to continue over the next few months due to a reduced range to the minimum terms and very few new products coming. The only model year 2019 of the Giulietta, which adds little to the C segment, and the usual special series of Giulia and Stelvio are unlikely to make a big contribution to growth in the coming months.” according to the report.
What’s the problem? I’ve had longer waits for a bus. Wait 50 weeks between order and delivery like I did for my 4C, then there might be something to complain about. Not that I complained mind you. It was worth every waiting hour.

Last edited by 147Alfaguy; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:09.
(Post Link) post #22 of 41 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Torino

Member car:

MiTo, 8C Spider

Plant will be closed from Aug 1st to Aug 18th. MY2020 is getting to the PS stage in 2 weeks or less (the first VP MY20 was built way back in November of last year). Full series production for MY2020 is scheduled for Sept/Oct. No hybrids.
(Post Link) post #23 of 41 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Detailing COTY Winner 2018
Membro Premio

County: Suffolk
Garage
The 'build-to-delivery' lead times being discussed here pale into insignificance compared to what was going on in the late 1970s, when Alfa had inordinate difficulties selling cars in the UK.

According to Centro Documentazione Alfa Romeo's records for my Alfetta saloon...

Alfa Romeo Alfetta 2000 RHD
Production date: 1979, November 2nd
Delivery date: 1981, December 7th
Market destination: United Kingdom

Over two years from factory gate to first owner? And where were these cars during that time? Probably sitting in a car pound at Dover docks, in a salty sea breeze.

No wonder people complained that their (supposedly) brand-new Alfa Romeos were rusty...

Currently driving....
Alfetta 2.0L saloon | Honda CR-Z Sport | Land Rover Freelander | Honda Insight EX
COMING SOON: Honda CR-V EX iMMD Electric Hybrid
(Post Link) post #24 of 41 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Torino

Member car:

MiTo, 8C Spider

Delivery date is to the final customer. If a car arrives at a dealership and remains unsold in their showroom for a year, that period of time will be included in the delay between production date and delivery date, although the car wasn't in shipping nor sitting at the docks.
(Post Link) post #25 of 41 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

There are some great stories in the Lancia in Britain book about cars being prepared for the motor shows by putting together the best bits from cars like Gammas parked in fields. There was even that Beta Coupe where they’d been in stock so long they reconditioned the alloys in black and upgraded the HiFi to make a special called the HiFi. Not many people knew the significance of the name amongst Lancia cognoscenti of course.
RobM likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulia

Tags
build , dates

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page