Quadrifoglio common issues - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 8Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

09 Brera 2.2 JTS

Quadrifoglio common issues

I知 about to start looking at Quadrifoglios. Are there any common issues to look out for?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Kent
New or second hand?
What year if second hand?
(Post Link) post #3 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

PZero Corsas - unless in a hot climate or can keep them warm, set money aside to replace them especially as summer comes to an end.

Just had the Goodyear F1 Supersports fitted on mine; dramatic difference. Will report back once I've got some more miles on them.
Phil_D likes this.
(Post Link) post #4 of 27 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 648
County: Antrim
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by atd4 View Post
PZero Corsas - unless in a hot climate or can keep them warm, set money aside to replace them especially as summer comes to an end.

Just had the Goodyear F1 Supersports fitted on mine; dramatic difference. Will report back once I've got some more miles on them.
I would concur on the tyres...

Some people have issues some don't, mine has been as good a gold..assuming RHD make sure it has the updated scuttle panel fitted.
(Post Link) post #5 of 27 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

09 Brera 2.2 JTS

Sorry, I should have said used. Will be a early car.

I知 through with heavy depreciation. Would have to be something special for me to buy new again.
(Post Link) post #6 of 27 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Essex
Garage
I had a Nov '66 plate car and no real problems with it. Did suffer with punctures twice. The crabbing from the front wheels when reversing is a characteristic of the car. I had a new aerial under warranty but no other issues. Be prepared for lots of questions from other people, positive comments and waves.

Very, very fast in "Dynamic" and scary fast in "Race" which I only used when on a track day at Goodwood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2102.jpg (269.2 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by Garyessex; 3 Weeks Ago at 15:09. Reason: Add photo
(Post Link) post #7 of 27 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

Amazing traction with those Corsas. Gripping on a wall?!
(Post Link) post #8 of 27 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

09 Brera 2.2 JTS

Thanks for the advice.

What is it with Alfa and tyres? I bought a new Brera in 2009. Never known a car to have so many punctures. They were a odd size too, so it was rare kwikfit had them in stock.

They were p-zero Nero痴. I値l never forget because I bought so many.

Good to know there are no major issues to look out for.

I知 just looking at options. I really like the carbon seats.
(Post Link) post #9 of 27 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

Have a good look at the carbon active spoiler on the front bumper as it can ground and get damaged if driven too fast over speed bumps etc apparently and it痴 very expensive. The ride- height was raised for a while but some asked for theirs to be lowered to early spec I致e read on here.
(Post Link) post #10 of 27 Old 3 Weeks Ago

County: wales

Member car:

BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_D View Post
I would concur on the tyres...

Some people have issues some don't, mine has been as good a gold..assuming RHD make sure it has the updated scuttle panel fitted.
whats the scuttle panel all about then?
(Post Link) post #11 of 27 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetallicaM3 View Post
The original design RHD scuttle drained water near the ECMs and some experienced ECU failure as a result.

Make sure that the scuttle has been replaced by one of the new design and the ECUs and associated harnesses have been inspected for water ingress damage.

My Quadrifoglio was Feb 17 build and since that time over 25,000 miles I've had only one significant problem. The battery went totally flat once. Some owners have needed replacement batteries under warranty.

If you're lucky, the car came with free servicing to 27,000 miles or 3 years. If so, it should be recorded in the FCA system.

Otherwise, check that all software, both the ECUs and the infotainment system, has been updated.

Andy
(Post Link) post #12 of 27 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Yes, if it was ordered from 1st January 2017 and registered by 31st March 2017 it will have 3 years free servicing (or 27,000 miles, whichever comes first as they are 9,000 miles per annum service intervals).
(Post Link) post #13 of 27 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

Giulia QV

Check the top of the rear bumper for marks - some of the early cars had poorly adjusted bump stops that meant the boot lid hit the bumper.

Look for uneven wear on the tyres. It means crawling around, but some of the cars have worn the inside edge of the tyres heavily. This might only be tracking, but you might be able to use it to knock some money off. If still on Corsas, you'll be needing to change at 9k to 11k miles max and they are not cheap (or easy to get!).

Look for any signs of major crash damage - there have been plenty that have had excursions to the hedge and some that appear to have been put back on the road.

Unless you buy from a dealer that has had the front resprayed, there will be lots of stone chips. This is unavoidable, but check whether this is just superficial paint damage or has caused more damage. The bonnet is carbon fibre and the bumper is plastic, so no concerns about corrosion.

I doubt there is a QV on the road that doesn't have some damage to the underside of the carbon fibre splitter at the front.

Full dealer service history is essential. Unless you look for a later car which will be on a 5 year warranty, you'll be looking at a car with a 3 year warranty. Try to buy with as much of that warranty as possible in case you need to use it.

Check whether the stop/start and heated rear screen work. If not, it may be evidence that the IBS is preventing function, which means the battery is not fully charged. I've had to have my battery replaced under warranty and like Andy, had an unexplained total drain 6 months after buying new.

The carbon seats are beautiful to look at, but there is anecdotal evidence on here that they may not be as robust in the long term as the standard seats.

After that, it is finding what options are on the car and what floats your boat. In my case, I feel the Harmon Kardon upgrade wouldn't be worth looking out for, adaptive cruise control is a matter of taste, the teledial wheels are more common but the 'Quadrifoglio alloys' are actually a better, lighter wheel and the Comp Red and Trofeo White are Tri-coat paints that were an expensive option, but probably won't attract a premium used.

It is a truly excellent car to drive. Don't let the awesomeness of the test drive put you off a thorough look around the car. Oh - and stay out of Race mode if you're on Corsas and it is cold and wet!
normallybuybmw likes this.
(Post Link) post #14 of 27 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetallicaM3 View Post
Thread concerning this topic:

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...n-the-ecu.html (QV water ingress in the ECU)
(Post Link) post #15 of 27 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamfisti View Post
Check the top of the rear bumper for marks - some of the early cars had poorly adjusted bump stops that meant the boot lid hit the bumper.

Look for uneven wear on the tyres. It means crawling around, but some of the cars have worn the inside edge of the tyres heavily. This might only be tracking, but you might be able to use it to knock some money off. If still on Corsas, you'll be needing to change at 9k to 11k miles max and they are not cheap (or easy to get!).

Look for any signs of major crash damage - there have been plenty that have had excursions to the hedge and some that appear to have been put back on the road.

Unless you buy from a dealer that has had the front resprayed, there will be lots of stone chips. This is unavoidable, but check whether this is just superficial paint damage or has caused more damage. The bonnet is carbon fibre and the bumper is plastic, so no concerns about corrosion.

I doubt there is a QV on the road that doesn't have some damage to the underside of the carbon fibre splitter at the front.

After that, it is finding what options are on the car and what floats your boat. In my case, I feel the Harmon Kardon upgrade wouldn't be worth looking out for, adaptive cruise control is a matter of taste, the teledial wheels are more common but the 'Quadrifoglio alloys' are actually a better, lighter wheel and the Comp Red and Trofeo White are Tri-coat paints that were an expensive option, but probably won't attract a premium used.
ive lost yet another bumper stopper. 3 now. back to the dealer i will go maybe they can fit the CF gear knob finally too... my front splitter isn't damaged on underside either in a year and a bitsince its been on...yet...although it is my 2nd...but you do become more careful with it when you dont replace on insurance...
Stone chips are getting silly too, 2 big ones on bonnet. Quad wheels are nicer imo, but i couldn't really decide so got both as wanted winter tyres too. Comp red is not worth the hassle, has to be kept super clean to look good.

getting concerned theirs too much interest in these now and we may become as common as our german brethren...!
(Post Link) post #16 of 27 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

09 Brera 2.2 JTS

They will never be as common as the Germans. Bmw have been discounting the m4 heavily since launch, Audi rs hold their money and merc have the V8.

Most of my friends think I知 crazy. But they did when I bought a Brera and that is the only new car I have ever kept for 4 years.

I loved it even though it was thirsty and slow.

What is the issue with the carbon seats? I知 not a big guy. 511 13 stone.
(Post Link) post #17 of 27 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

Giulia QV

There may, in actuality, be nothing wrong with the carbon seats. I mentioned it as I recalled a couple of people on here suffering with problems with the coverings splitting and coming apart. Two problems is probably not a very scientific sample, but the option was quite expensive, so I am guessing there are not many cars out there with carbon seats, so two out of the very small number of people on this site that have the carbon seats may actually be a large proportion.
(Post Link) post #18 of 27 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia QV

CF seats are meant to be very nice but if tracking im sure eddie said with a helmet on the angle of attack is not great for your neck.

at least i think he and others have said that, be it from there or 2nd hand experience.
(Post Link) post #19 of 27 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 648
County: Antrim
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpmmpt View Post
CF seats are meant to be very nice but if tracking im sure eddie said with a helmet on the angle of attack is not great for your neck.

at least i think he and others have said that, be it from there or 2nd hand experience.
I would agree with this, i changed from the comfort seats to the Sparcos and for daily driving i find them to be perfect, for me they are more comfortable and allow you to sit a lower in the car, the back support is superb (not that the comfort seats were bad in any way at all) However with a helmet on i think it would be a different matter, the headrest part of the Sparco is in the perfect position without a helmet on, i will find out at some stage in the near future i guess but i can see it being an issue.

156 GTA (Gone)
147 GTA (Gone)
159 SW 3.2 Ti Q4 (Gone)
Giulia Quadrifoglio
(Post Link) post #20 of 27 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Basically not much to look for other than the usual caveats of buying a used car. Good cars
(Post Link) post #21 of 27 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

09 Brera 2.2 JTS

Really struggling to find a car in my price range with carbon seats. Seem to be a surprisingly rare option.

I might wait until after summer when the car market slows down a bit. This one will be a keeper so I want to find the right car.

Completely ruled out m3 and c63s. Only other car catching my eye a 991痴 now prices have dropped below 」50k.
(Post Link) post #22 of 27 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

Probably because they knew a car with the seats wouldn稚 be worth 」3k extra when they came to sell it!
(Post Link) post #23 of 27 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Garage
I've had my 2017 Q for 2 weeks now and already done almost 2000km. It is vulcano black, with the standard seats (which are awesome). Had 15000km on the clock. After reading reviews, I was prepared for it to throw a code at me but so far so good. Only issue was the alarm going off for no good reason one night in the garage. I searched for a few months for mine and never saw one with the Sparco seats. But the carbon fibre steering wheel is a MUST.
(Post Link) post #24 of 27 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev.K View Post
Really struggling to find a car in my price range with carbon seats. Seem to be a surprisingly rare option.

I might wait until after summer when the car market slows down a bit. This one will be a keeper so I want to find the right car.

Completely ruled out m3 and c63s. Only other car catching my eye a 991痴 now prices have dropped below 」50k.
I'm selling a 2017 comp red car in the next couple of weeks, carbon seats, PPF to front from new & still immaculate, 10,800 miles, had Michelin's fitted at 8k miles, will advertise for 46k. Trade bid from the dealer I bought it from was 43,500 (Palmers Alfa in Hemel). Let me know if you fancy a chat before I put it up for sale. Car is absolutely awesome by the way! I'm selling as I have a new 992C4S incoming.
cue2 and john_raiders like this.
(Post Link) post #25 of 27 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

09 Brera 2.2 JTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferdi68 View Post
I'm selling a 2017 comp red car in the next couple of weeks, carbon seats, PPF to front from new & still immaculate, 10,800 miles, had Michelin's fitted at 8k miles, will advertise for 46k. Trade bid from the dealer I bought it from was 43,500 (Palmers Alfa in Hemel). Let me know if you fancy a chat before I put it up for sale. Car is absolutely awesome by the way! I'm selling as I have a new 992C4S incoming.
Pm壇

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulia

Tags
common , issues , quadrifoglio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page