Giulia Sales in Europe and US...another 159 saga? - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 171Likes

AO Member

County: Herefordshire
So- what about the reported €50m a year it cost Alfa to sponsor the Sauber team up to 2018 which has apparently grown to €100 a year for the new, current, full naming rates as Alfa Romeo Racing? Puts £15000 per TV ad in perspective. Surely they could do some more effective marketing on the back of this. I posted a while ago, however, that my local Alfa dealership had absolutely no idea that Alfa were "back" (sort of) in racing. This lack of "being on message" is just an own goal. As is the failure to have a more coherent marketing plan that brings together the sporting heritage, the current racing activity, the engineering of the new cars and the recent positive news about reliability. Jeez- how complicated can that be?
JTD_Liam likes this.

Sud 1.3Ti - Sprint - Giulietta - Sud 1.5Ti QV - 33 1.5QV - 75 3.0 6V Veloce - 164 3.0 QV - GTV - 156 GTA - Brera 3.2 Q4 - Spider 3.2 - Brera 3.2 S (and a few Fiats and a Lancia!) - Giulia Veloce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
They certainly can’t afford to use TV advertising as well as F1. But then F1 should be providing some visibility to the marque to the value of what it would have cost in any other way and to the right audience. Whether F1 fans are Alfa buyers is debatable. But then how many people saw the Stelvio beat the Velar and the Volvo on TopGear?
As the Alfa Romeo advertising is pan-European it doesn’t seem to allow specific ads building on the success in owners surveys in U.K. The ads are locally reworked but there are no U.K. specific ads.
AO Member

County: Devon

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Myles View Post
Alfa have come out very well in recent reliability surveys, mostly for Giulia. Its exactly the sort of 3rd party recognition of Giulia's brilliance that they need to be shouting from the rooftops with. Has anyone seen any mention of it in FCA's advertising ?
This is what I was saying earlier on in the thread- everything has been positive, so why not use that to turn around peoples' 1980's perception of the brand? Yes, as above it'll cost a few £m, but the money needs to be invested in advertising to get a return. There's a marketing cost per sale and anyone who knows what they're doing should see sales increase inline with marketing spend. They've relied on word of mouth and the odd alfa-mad journalist for too long.
Hugh Myles and JTD_Liam like this.
AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

Giulia QV

We've had a discussion on whether F1 involvement encourages Joe Public to buy cars on another thread somewhere. Personally, I couldn't care less whether Alfa are in F1. I wouldn't buy a Merc because they are doing well in F1 and equally, I wouldn't not buy a Ferrari because they haven't won the F1 constructors title since 2008.

Currently, Alfa, if they did any advertising at all, could use the slogan "The Giulia. The auto industry's best kept secret". Not ideal when you're trying to shift product.
(Post Link) post #55 of 274 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

I’m not a big fan of commercial radio but ,thanks to the children, Capital
was on when I started the car this morning. The first words were “Giulia and Stelvio”.
It was an ad saying that you’d say the warranty and service deal was the reason you’d bought an Alfa but really you just wanted an Alfa... Still not as directly using the survey results we are all aware or saying you won’t need the warranty , for example.
(Post Link) post #56 of 274 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: West Lothian
Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
They certainly can’t afford to use TV advertising as well as F1. But then F1 should be providing some visibility to the marque to the value of what it would have cost in any other way and to the right audience. Whether F1 fans are Alfa buyers is debatable. But then how many people saw the Stelvio beat the Velar and the Volvo on TopGear?
As the Alfa Romeo advertising is pan-European it doesn’t seem to allow specific ads building on the success in owners surveys in U.K. The ads are locally reworked but there are no U.K. specific ads.
I’m not convinced sponsoring the team that’s currently 7th out of ten teams with only 1/16 the points of Mercedes is remotely helpful to Alfa’s image!
cue2, Razor1955 and Hamfisti like this.
(Post Link) post #57 of 274 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali_ View Post
I’m not convinced sponsoring the team that’s currently 7th out of ten teams with only 1/16 the points of Mercedes is remotely helpful to Alfa’s image!
Understand the comment- but not sure I agree. Don't think anyone realistically has the Alfa team as a potential winner or even top 4... so why bother? Maybe it's because Alfa have always traded on a historic sporting heritage. "Ti" and the cloverleaf are, afterall, symbols linked to their racing heritage. The involvement in F1 is maybe more to do with maintaining a link with motorpsort so there is at least a subliminal message that links Alfa Romeo and motorsport. I'm not claiming it's effective though! I dont look at a Renault and think motorsport... I look at a Renault and think Va Va Voom and see Thierry Henry! I look at a Mercedes and think "taxi". But isn't the Alfa brand a bit different from those- maybe even more so outside Italy where most Alfas have been for many years just a mainstream offshoot of Fiat. They are much more niche everywhere else and I do think the sporting heritage actually matters.

As I've said elsewhere on here- it's a fine line between wanting Alfa to remain relatively rare, but not so rare that their future is in doubt.
(Post Link) post #58 of 274 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

Do you think Alfa wants to remain rare?
I thought it’s just the used buyers who want them to depreciate because they are their secret.
(Post Link) post #59 of 274 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Quote:
"Do you think Alfa wants to remain rare?"

... probably not- but I assume they are aware of the dangers of Alfas being as common as, say, a Focus. FCA have Fiat for that. But of course, they want to make money.

"I thought it’s just the used buyers who want them to depreciate because they are their secret"".
... don't agree. I dont regard my Alfas as secrets- but I do value the sense (however mis-placed) of a degree of exclusivity. Would be waving at each other if every 10th car was an Alfa? I dont go around waving at other Minis when I'm driving my wife's Paceman. So- why do we do stuff like that? Dare I suggest that we think we're part of a special "little" exclusive club?
(Post Link) post #60 of 274 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Warwickshire

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

What I like about Alfa's is because they are different, rare and super good looking. I like to be different and I feel I have my own little bit of Italian exotica.

Would you rather have a rare car they each car release could be their last or brand where they are as common as a BMW?
matty74, sb1957, Navlet and 2 others like this.
(Post Link) post #61 of 274 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
Quote:
Whether F1 fans are Alfa buyers is debatable.
Not sure entirely what you mean by this comment cue. How is it debatable? Why wouldn't F1 fans be Alfa buyers? Do you have a stereotype in mind for all F1 fans? I'm a massive F1 fan and have an Alfa. But then I dislike Golf and am under 50 too, so obviously I must never buy a Jaaaaaaag!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
(Post Link) post #62 of 274 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

Giulia 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1957 View Post
I look at a Renault and think Va Va Voom and see Thierry Henry!
I see a Renault, and if I think anything at all about the thing, my only ad type memory is...

"Nicole!"

"Papa!"
(Post Link) post #63 of 274 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Herts
Garage

Member car:

Subaru Legacy H6

Quote:
Originally Posted by giuliaRob View Post
I see a Renault, and if I think anything at all about the thing, my only ad type memory is...

"Nicole!"

"Papa!"
Renault have always been the master of superb advertising, they even managed to make the spectacularly ordinary Renault 25 seem desirable in the 80s, and somehow made the so-hideous-it-makes-you-retch Megane seem desirable to some people too...

But for me, when I see a Renault now, I instantly think "Another one drives a Duster"

And when I see a Nissan, especially a Juke, I instantly think "Another one drives a Duster"

And guess what? When I see a modern Mercedes, especially a B class, I instantly think "Another one drives a Duster"

Oh dear, I don't think I like modern cars

But back to the Giulia, aside from the well-publicized quirks which are bound to put people off, I think it was just released at the wrong time. The saloon market is dying unless it's a luxury performance EV or a crass Rolls Royce; there's no turning back the tide, as king Cnut no doubt said as he hunted for a dry pair of socks.
(Post Link) post #64 of 274 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Central Greece

Member car:

alfa 147-156

Hi I'm from Greece and an alfa owner. I intended to buy a new model, but not any more. Unfortunately Giulia is very expensive at 57000 euros (2.0 280hp) and Stelvio too at 75000 euros. Some years ago you could buy an 156 and have a very good car at reasonable price. This is what Alfa romeo should have done. It may be a very interesting challenge to build a car that can beat an M3 at a race track but this is not what most people need. Then from another perspective Giulia is aimed at younger drivers because elders will prefer more conservative ''price holders'' like the German alternatives. But how many people between 25-40 can afford 57000 especially when after 7-10 years this price will drop at the price of a bike? I've heard that Alfa Romeo will probably stop producing cheaper cars like the Giulietta or Mito and focus on expensive ones. This I'm afraid will be the end of the historic brand.Some days ago I had the chance to test drive two KIA cars. The 1.6 203 hp Ceed, and the GT line 1,6 177 hp Sportage SUV. I must say I was impressed by the build quality (at least the same or better than the best German and Japanese rivals). Very good engines and decent ride. ''Are they better than an Alfa Romeo''? someone would ask. I would answer that they are what an Alfa Romeo should be in terms of power (1,6 lt engines) and built quality, with the added advantage of the legendary Alfa handling and looks. This combination would be unbeatable especially at the price of these truly remarkable cars.
(Post Link) post #65 of 274 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: DK
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnik61 View Post
Unfortunately Giulia is very expensive at 57000 euros (2.0 280hp) and Stelvio too at 75000 euros.
In DK listed price for a new Giulia Veloce 2.0 Q4 280hp is 86.000 Euros.
Go for the new Ti version and its 100.000 Euros.
Beat that
Attached Images
File Type: png Giulia.PNG (113.9 KB, 27 views)
(Post Link) post #66 of 274 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Derbyshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdvp View Post
Beat that
Surely that is down to the taxation levels in Denmark.

We, in the UK, are constantly being told what a wonderful standard of living you enjoy and how happy you guys are so I guess those qualities have to be paid for somehow and the motorist is a pretty good cash cow.

My Veloce, admittedly rwd, cost me £31,000, about 35,000 euros.
(Post Link) post #67 of 274 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Warwickshire

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVblue View Post
Surely that is down to the taxation levels in Denmark.

We, in the UK, are constantly being told what a wonderful standard of living you enjoy and how happy you guys are so I guess those qualities have to be paid for somehow and the motorist is a pretty good cash cow.

My Veloce, admittedly rwd, cost me £31,000, about 35,000 euros.
I got a new Guilia Veloce, for a similar price as a deal so it would appear car wise we do get some pretty sweet deals.
(Post Link) post #68 of 274 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Central Greece

Member car:

alfa 147-156

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdvp View Post
Beat that
Since the Giulia's launch, I have seen only two (2) in Athens. On the other hand I've seen many M3s. Many 147s, 156s,Giuliettas,159s and Mitos. I have also seen some Ferraris. Giullia is one of the rarest car these days in Greece, but the rarest is Stelvio. I've never seen one. It is rarer than Delorean (three days ago I met a black one).
(Post Link) post #69 of 274 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Italy , UK.
I paid 45000 euros for mine here in Italy and that was discounted, so in the UK they really are a bargain. List was 59000 Euros.
(Post Link) post #70 of 274 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

Yours is Q4?
The only way to get that here is by buying a Stelvio for which list price is a few thousand more.
(Post Link) post #71 of 274 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMatt1 View Post
Not sure entirely what you mean by this comment cue. How is it debatable? Why wouldn't F1 fans be Alfa buyers? Do you have a stereotype in mind for all F1 fans? I'm a massive F1 fan and have an Alfa. But then I dislike Golf and am under 50 too, so obviously I must never buy a Jaaaaaaag!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Some decent exposure for Giulia / Stelvio Quadrifoglios on SKY F1 Channel at the moment. Average viewing figure for Sky's F1 coverage on raceday is around 700,000.
MattMatt1 likes this.
(Post Link) post #72 of 274 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Quote:
Yours is Q4?
The only way to get that here is by buying a Stelvio for which list price is a few thousand more.
Yes sure is.
(Post Link) post #73 of 274 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caymanblack View Post
Yes sure is.
May explain this
“I paid 45000 euros for mine here in Italy and that was discounted, so in the UK they really are a bargain. List was 59000 Euros.”?
caymanblack likes this.
(Post Link) post #74 of 274 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

All, (both) veloces in Italy are Q4,s. only. The petrol model being very rare as everybody seems to buy the Diesel.

Last edited by caymanblack; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:49. Reason: Forgot something.
(Post Link) post #75 of 274 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Derbyshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by caymanblack View Post
All, (both) veloces in Italy are Q4,s. only. The petrol model being very rare as everybody seems to buy the Diesel.
Weird isn't it.

If you buy a diesel in the UK now you are made to feel as though you have two heads and eat children for breakfast.

In Italy, if you buy diesel you are just part of a carefree majority.

PS I think diesel Veloces should be banned.

Last edited by GVblue; 4 Weeks Ago at 17:28.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulia

Tags
159 , europe , giulia , saga , sales , usanother

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page