Driving in Europe - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By cue2
  • 1 Post By danieldvblue
  • 1 Post By Sir Baloney
  • 1 Post By photoman
  • 2 Post By Scotital
  • 1 Post By chrisbarbers

(Post Link) post #1 of 20 Old 10-05-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: UK

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Driving in Europe

Hi all - taking our Veloce to Italy for a 3-week break this summer.

Can I assume the warranty & break-down cover applies in Europe and is there anything I need to be aware of?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Merseyside
Can’t answer your questions but boy, what a trip, jealous beyond words, enjoy!
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
I wonder how things will differ from last year driving in Europe. We planned to drive to Italy again , this time in the Stelvio, taking in the Stelvio Pass. Commitments mean we will have to fly this year. I’d look on Gov.uk for advice on paperwork needed as some insurance agreements etc may be harder.
Felton Butler likes this.
(Post Link) post #4 of 20 Old 10-05-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: UK

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultrim View Post
Can’t answer your questions but boy, what a trip, jealous beyond words, enjoy!
Yes, really looking forward to it. Taking 3 days to get there, stopping in Belgium (Ghent) and Freiburg (Black forest) on the way down before crossing the alps via the St Gotthard Pass (over the top, rather than the tunnel).

Hope to visit the Alfa museum near Milan before returning via Mt Blanc to Geneva, Beaune and Amiens.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Dunno about those, but make sure you get a green card (proves you have insurance) - and also make sure that your insurer matches your level of cover while abroad (the green card only proves 3rd party).
AO Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felton Butler View Post
Hi all - taking our Veloce to Italy for a 3-week break this summer.

Can I assume the warranty & break-down cover applies in Europe and is there anything I need to be aware of?

Thanks

Yes, you are covered in Europe. In the warranty handbook it lists all the countries the breakdown cover and warranty are valid.

I happened to read this earlier (I was checking the cover before cancelling my AA cover) and it appeared to be a very comprehensive list.

Enjoy your trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AO Member

You will need a Crit'Air screen badge for France. There are many environmental zones where you can be fined up to 375 euros if you don't have one if pollution reaches a certain level. You might need an Umweltplakette for German cities, too. The Veloce needs a Euro4 badge that will allow you to enter some cities with Umwelt zones. For Swiss motorways you need a 40CHF vignette for the screen. My windscreen is further cluttered with an Austrian motorway sticker and a dealer service sticker. If we've left the EU by the time you go you will also need an International Driving Permit which costs £5.50 from a Post Office.
AO Member

County: Italy , UK.
Oh in Italy they love the Giulia and unlike in the uk any dealer will check your car more or less straight away for any problems you might have.
cue what do you think has changed this year then? curious.
AO Platinum Member

Eventually this from Gov.uk

“Driving in Europe after Brexit
If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, you might need an IDP to drive in the EU and European Economic Area (EEA). Check if you’ll need an IDP.

If you’re taking your own vehicle abroad, you’ll also need:

your vehicle log book (V5C)
a free ‘green card’ - allow 1 month to get this from your car insurance company
a GB sticker for your car
The rules for passports, EHIC cards, pet travel and more may also change. Check if you need to act now to make sure you can travel as planned.”
AO Member

County: Italy , UK.
Ah ok , Brexit, will it ever happen?
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Giulia Speciale

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
a free ‘green card’ - allow 1 month to get this from your car insurance company
a GB sticker for your car
IIRC the "free" Green Card only gives you 3rd Party and some insurers won't do that. To get "like for like" insurance abroad I have always paid £40 to £50 and felt a lot happier for it. I think for driving abroad in your own car it's not worth skimping on safety and security.

In answer to Felton's question it depends.......if this is your first time driving in Europe then there are a million questions if not then just Google to get up to date on the current situation and check with your insurer..

Have a good and safe trip
AO Member

County: -
Sorry to hijack this thread, but do you need to do anything around the headlights when driving in Europe. I have read mixed things, that some say you need the reflectors other say you don't.

Also how do you change the Speedo to read in KPH rather than MPH?
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire
Code:
Sorry to hijack this thread, but do you need to do anything around the headlights when driving in Europe. I have read mixed things, that some say you need the reflectors other say you don't.

I've driven extensively in France, Switzerland and Italy and never had a problem with the lights (no flashes from oncoming vehicles). I do however have a height adjuster on the dash which I use to drop the beam down a notch.

KPH is available under the settings menu (metric) on the infotainment system.
AO Member

County: Oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by yh007xb View Post

Be aware, you *do* require headlight beam deflectors on all Giulia/Stelvio models regardless of which version/headlight type. Personally, I haven't bothered mostly because I don't normally expect to be doing much after-dark driving on normal roads and I don't think there's much likelihood of being picked up - but as I say, strictly speaking, deflectors are required because there is no other means of cutting off the dipped beam 'upkick'.

Adjusting the beams downward obviously reduces the problem but if you have 35W HIDs (these are self-levelling and contrary to popular belief, do not adapt for RH/LH drive) don't have a manual height adjuster anyway.
Andy Bowden and cue2 like this.
AO Platinum Member

It depends where in Europe you’re going. I’ve always kept the kit in the glovebox but never used it as we’ve not driven at night. In Germany however people have been known to get a fine for cycling at 11 am without lights.
AO Member

You have to have your headlights on in Italy on motorways and country roads at all times. I was stopped some years ago on a sunny May afternoon by Carabinieri approaching Pienza because my lights weren't on. So you need Eurolites on Giulias but not on 159, which have a beam flattening switch in the unit.
AO Platinum Member

Not forgetting all those tunnels in Switzerland and Italy.
AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

Brera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Baloney View Post
You have to have your headlights on in Italy on motorways and country roads at all times. I was stopped some years ago on a sunny May afternoon by Carabinieri approaching Pienza because my lights weren't on. So you need Eurolites on Giulias but not on 159, which have a beam flattening switch in the unit.
Is that only if you don't have DRLs or regardless?
AO Member

County: Cambs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felton Butler View Post
Hope to visit the Alfa museum near Milan
Ooh, may have to look that one up as I booked flights and accom for the F1 in September today.
cue2 likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
We took our Giulia to Italy last year, this year we are going in our 1972 S2 Spider. You will only need the Crit'Air in France if you are going into the centre of certain cities, as far as I am aware. What you will and must do is to disable your safety camera setting in you sat nav. Get caught in France will speed camera warning via your sat nav will reduce your spending money somewhat.

I never bother with the headlights, when was the last time you saw a European vehicle over here offering the same courtesy?

Someone said to me, "so whats so special about an Alfa Romeo then?" I told him, "If you have to ask, you wont understand".

Giulia Super Lusso 2.0MA, wife drives 939 Spider 2.2, plus now a 147 1.6 TS whilst the Spider hibernates and there is a 1972 Spider 2000 S2 in the garage for fun days.

Previously, Brera 2.2 Prodrive - 159 SW 1.9JTDm

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulia

Tags
driving , europe

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page