Points to note for new and potential Giulia owners - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 100Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 75 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Points to note for new and potential Giulia owners

I bought my new Giulia in August 2018 and I have found the forums most useful in informing me about various aspects of owning a Giulia.

In summary they are:

1. The alarm can go off unexpectedly. This has happened on 4 occasions and I will get this fixed at my first service. There is a fix.
2. Updating the map does not take 3 hours as indicated. It takes about 50 minutes and does not need the engine running all the time; just the ignition on. I start the engine after about 20 minutes of updating and the updating continues as I continue on a journey. Note the ignition power cuts out automatically after 30 minutes if the engine is not started.
3. When reversing at half to full lock there is an awful clonking noise from the front suspension. This is normal and is called tyre "chuntering".
It is a result of the way Alfa has set up the front steering geometry. Some Mercedes cars also do this.
4. The Stop/Start does not always function. After a charge from my CTEK charger connected via the terminals under the bonnet (hood) it then seems to work.

Overall the Giulia is an excellent car. My purchase came with 5 years' warranty, 3 years' servicing and 5 years' breakdown cover. It is a joy to drive. I would thoroughly recommend it to anybody considering buying one.

I sold my BMW 530i at only 48,000 miles as it was too unreliable. I had it from new and spend £4000 on repairs: new injectors, fuel pumps, lambda sensors etc etc. I cancelled a motoring holiday as I did not have any faith that it would not break down again. After that I sold it and bought my Alfa.
Cream, VeloceMitch, Phil_D and 6 others like this.

Last edited by ExBMW530i owner; 2 Days Ago at 13:58.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 75 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

County: Lancashire
I concur other than:

3. When reversing at half to full lock there is an awful clonking noise from the front suspension. This is normal and is called tyre "chuntering".
It is a result of the way Alfa has set up the front steering geometry. Some Mercedes cars also do this.
- This happens when turning on half-full regardless of reversing or not - Every morning coming off my drive it lets me know it's ready to go
4. The Stop/Start does not always function. After a charge from my CTEK charger connected via the terminals under the bonnet (hood) it then seems to work.
- Not had this happen and won't accept charging as the solution if it does - on a new car!? No chance.

What fix are you getting for the alarm?

It is a joy to drive. I would thoroughly recommend it to anybody considering buying one. - THIS
duemila likes this.

Last edited by GMBash; 1 Week Ago at 06:44.
(Post Link) post #3 of 75 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMBash View Post
- Not had this happen and won't accept charging as the solution if it does - on a new car!? No chance.
Agreed, this is unsatisfactory. There are many posts on the subject and the root cause seems to be poor logic in the 'intelligent' battery system. A more serious effect is that the heated rear window sometimes doesn't come on.

Some posts claim that the latest cars have improved software which overcomes the poor charging problem.

Andy
GMBash likes this.
(Post Link) post #4 of 75 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

Giulia 2.0 Super

5. The traffic warnings on the Sat-Nav are utterly useless. They seem to show the motorways but not A or B roads. You can be stuck in a 2 mile queue and the map shows nothing. Google maps is always more accurate.
6. The boot lid comes down into your face when parked on a slope. Nearly took my nose off.
7. The standard speakers are very average, there's poor bass and no richness to the audio.
(Post Link) post #5 of 75 Old 1 Week Ago
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Landon Tan
Garage
NO 6 is hilarious stand further away
(Post Link) post #6 of 75 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMBash View Post
What fix are you getting for the alarm?
Very common issue here. Took a while to fix mine...initially new alarm components and then sensitivity reduction. They all seem to be over sensitive.
GMBash likes this.
(Post Link) post #7 of 75 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

County: -UK
#3 is due to the 'Ackerman' steering geometry which improves the steering and turn in of the car at normal road speeds, but means the tyres (not the suspension) literally scuff when on nearly full lock either in forward or reverse and make the tell tale clunking as the tyre tread scrapes across the tarmac and'jumps' rather than tracking cleanly as the tyre rotates.

worth a google as its an interesting and sporty addition to the Giulia steering and suspension - oh and forgive my basic description but i hope it makes some sense to anyone interested..

cheers

Paul
Top Down likes this.
(Post Link) post #8 of 75 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
All of these points have been discussed already!
Itís much more useful to have threads for individual points for this reason IMHO.

Here ;
Official bulletin copied below:

SUBJECT:
Chattering Noise While Steering

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves discussing a chattering that might be heard from the Alfa Romeo
Giulia front suspension.
MODELS:
2017 (GA) Alfa Romeo Giulia

DISCUSSION:
The Alfa Romeo Giulia is characterized by unique suspension characteristics featuring
patented AlfaTM Link technologies, developed in order to deliver the best dynamic
performance in any driving condition.
In particular, the front double-wishbone with semi-virtual steering axle scheme allows an
ďAckermannĒ angle change with the variation of the steering angle. Ackerman angle is
described by the different steering angle between the left/right front wheels.
This feature, which is normally reserved for premium sport cars, has been the object of
specific tuning by Alfa Romeo engineers to ensure the lowest vehicle understeer in any
driving condition and to achieve a breakthrough in Giulia driving dynamic best in class
steering feeling, enhanced safety and driving pleasure.
At the maximum steering wheel angle, the specific tuning above mentioned makes the
front suspension deliver a lower steering angle from the right to left front wheels,
generating a perceivable dragging phenomenon on the inner wheel, which can be
perceived as a ďchatteringĒ accompanied by some noise which is influenced by one or
more the following conditions:

∑ Driving surfaces and air temperature.
∑ Tires pressures.
∑ Tire specification, size and brand.
∑ Steering angle and speed of the vehicle.

NUMBER: 02-003-17
GROUP: Front Suspension

DATE: March 10, 2017
Such behavior may be noticed in the different conditions is only correlated to the above
mentioned parameters, and is no indication there is an issue with the vehicle.
This behavior is inherent to very specific Alfa Romeo engineering development, which is
the maximization of the vehicle safety, and does not affect in any way the vehicles safety,
tires, or indicate a mechanical part failure.
POLICY:

Information Only.

Posted by Metalgod a year or so ago.
(Post Link) post #9 of 75 Old 1 Week Ago
Club Member
Membro Medio

Garage
Thank you thread police
AO Platinum Member

The police only operate in the humble opinions when using the trampolines of the accused. And they donít get away with it.
AO Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

Giulia 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post

SUBJECT:
Chattering Noise While Steering

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves discussing a chattering that might be heard from the Alfa Romeo
Giulia front suspension.
MODELS:
2017 (GA) Alfa Romeo Giulia

DISCUSSION:
The Alfa Romeo Giulia is characterized by unique suspension characteristics featuring
patented AlfaTM Link technologies, developed in order to deliver the best dynamic
performance in any driving condition.
In particular, the front double-wishbone with semi-virtual steering axle scheme allows an
“Ackermann” angle change with the variation of the steering angle. Ackerman angle is
described by the different steering angle between the left/right front wheels.
This feature, which is normally reserved for premium sport cars, has been the object of
specific tuning by Alfa Romeo engineers to ensure the lowest vehicle understeer in any
driving condition and to achieve a breakthrough in Giulia driving dynamic best in class
steering feeling, enhanced safety and driving pleasure.
At the maximum steering wheel angle, the specific tuning above mentioned makes the
front suspension deliver a lower steering angle from the right to left front wheels,
generating a perceivable dragging phenomenon on the inner wheel, which can be
perceived as a “chattering” accompanied by some noise which is influenced by one or
more the following conditions:

∑ Driving surfaces and air temperature.
∑ Tires pressures.
∑ Tire specification, size and brand.
∑ Steering angle and speed of the vehicle.

NUMBER: 02-003-17
GROUP: Front Suspension

DATE: March 10, 2017
Such behavior may be noticed in the different conditions is only correlated to the above
mentioned parameters, and is no indication there is an issue with the vehicle.
This behavior is inherent to very specific Alfa Romeo engineering development, which is
the maximization of the vehicle safety, and does not affect in any way the vehicles safety,
tires, or indicate a mechanical part failure.
POLICY:

Information Only.

Posted by Metalgod a year or so ago.
This chattering comes from the front tyres, and has has been discussed several times before. I've found that it's at its worst in winter when the tyres are cold, and thus the rubber is harder and more resistant to deformation. It isn't as bad in warmer weather, but unless Alfa alter the steering geometry, it's a feature on all Giulias, so we're stuck with it. It's possible that it might be more pronounced with certain makes of tyre, but no idea which ones might be better. On all cars, especially newer ones with electric power steering, full lock should be avoided in any case, especially holding the car on full lock, as doing this repeatedly can burn out motors etc. It's not difficult to wind back a bit of lock if you hit the stops, your car will thank you for it.
Davids0554 likes this.
AO Silver Member

I don't notice, although the tyres are still skipping, the chattering with MPS4S tyres even in the cold weather. So yes tyre compound matters.
(Post Link) post #13 of 75 Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter

Hello Cue2

I quote:

It’s much more useful to have threads for individual points for this reason IMHO.

This was my first post on this forum and I was only trying to be helpful to new and potential Giulia owners with thoughts and impressions. I was also expressing my gratitude for being able to access helpful information on the Alfa forums.

This will be my last post.

Last edited by ExBMW530i owner; 6 Days Ago at 08:00.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExBMW530i owner View Post
Hello Cue2

You quoted:
Itís much more useful to have threads for individual points for this reason IMHO.

This was my first post on this forum and I was only trying to be helpful to new and potential Giulia owners. I was also expressing my gratitude for being able to access helpful information on your forums.

I think you should stay!
spitfire, cue2, MattMatt1 and 1 others like this.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Garage
Quote:
Hello Cue2

You quoted:

This was my first post on this forum and I was only trying to be helpful to new and potential Giulia owners. I was also expressing my gratitude for being able to access helpful information on your forums.

Its ok everyone else appreciated your post just don't ask about tyres, that really has been discussed to death
emu likes this.
AO Platinum Member

The original post did not ask anything.

Whereís the question about tyres here ;

ď3. When reversing at half to full lock there is an awful clonking noise from the front suspension. This is normal and is called tyre "chuntering".
It is a result of the way Alfa has set up the front steering geometry. Some Mercedes cars also do this.Ē

Thatís a statement.

The joy of the forum is being informative and interested in what more can be learned.
Thatís a point. Is it learned or learnt?

The OP should stay and enjoy the cumulative knowledge on here. I do.
richardlansom likes this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia QV

Quote:
Hello Cue2

I quote:

This was my first post on this forum and I was only trying to be helpful to new and potential Giulia owners with thoughts and impressions. I was also expressing my gratitude for being able to access helpful information on the Alfa forums.

just ignore him, he enjoys being a bit of a irascible nob at times...

no offence cue, as i do too on many occasion too. just need to learn which posters to take with a grain of salt.
CABBLACK, duemila and Bulhead68 like this.
AO Platinum Member

“irascible“
That should be the word of the day!
It’s just that I’d have probably pitched the thread as a question to the assembled resource of other Giulia/Stelvio owners rather than attempting a statement amongst them. Apologies for my irritation at times but I prefer a post as a catalyst and seeing where it goes. Some land on fallow ground.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Garage
So someone new would like to contribute and the best we can do is critique the type of post,
73GTVJim, johnafish and a6rnh like this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by duemila View Post
So someone new would like to contribute and the best we can do is critique the type of post,
Give him a break hes just a bit of a curmudgeon.

Its nice of him to lend his august presence to the forum...he does add a bit of gravitas.

back to op. i think its ok having repeat threads, yes search is useful but it can be a bit crap too. having something like this on front page is useful to new people. but maybe a sticky could be a better idea though.
cue2 likes this.
AO Member

County: Derbyshire
I think it's the fact you have BMW in your username OP, he hates BMWs with a vengeance.

Just ignore his 'irascible' sarcastic side, like I do now, and you'll find some of his posts useful and even occasionally humorous.
AO Platinum Member

I donít hate BMWs. I wouldnít drive one. Thatís different. The one thing I hate is the online expression ďhaterĒ.
The OP is actually more qualified to love or hate BMWs as heís lived the dream , once.
Probably not a big enough sample to write off the entire marque.
AO Member

County: Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
You seem to have missed the purpose of the thread and peed off the OP at the same time, so well done.

I think it is rather useful to have a thread (sticky would be useful) to highlight common comments about the car, which is what the OP has attempted; it could even contain links to threads where these topics are discussed further.
It would actually help new owners to understand the cars a bit better and perhaps prevent repeated threads asking the same question.

You could even do the same on the Stelvio forum, or do you never go there?

CABBLACK, goram, duemila and 3 others like this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post

You could even do the same on the Stelvio forum, or do you never go there?

Ouch! wheres the popcorn emoji...

but you've undermined your position a bit by flogging yours!

im just bored at work hence my BS today.

sticky is good idea, great minds...eh? or fools seldom differ perhaps!
AO Platinum Member

I think a sticky would be better, yes. Itís not for me to suggest. I just think itís not for one person to try to write the definitive statement on the Giulia in the form of a thread. An invitation to build a sticky perhaps.
I do frequent the Stelvio bit of the forum, with posts written with a view to creating discussion or lately post on the subject of the new US ads.
Generally, issues with the Giulia apply to the Stelvio.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulia

Tags
giulia , note , owners , points , potential